• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The European Commission says it has already authorized a vaccine delivery to Canada and will apply COVID-19 vaccine export control restrictions only in "very limited cases."

In a statement to CBC News, a Commission spokesperson said there have been only two requests for delivery, one from Canada and another from the UK.

"Member states have handled these requests very swiftly and these exports have been authorized in accordance with the opinion of the Commission. It proves that the system is working and that we will use it only in very limited cases," the statement said.

Canada is aware that the EU has the duty to ensure that its citizens are vaccinated as soon as possible, the statement said, yet it does not want to deprive other countries from their own much needed vaccines, especially those that don't have their own manufacturing capacity.

The statement explained that the aim is to get transparency and keep restrictions to an absolute minimum.

The statement confirms assurances that Public Services and Procurement Minister Anita Anand gave at a COVID-19 update earlier Tuesday in which she said Canada would be getting its expected vaccine shipments from Europe this week.

"We have had conversations with our suppliers as recently as this morning and yesterday, who have assured us that the paperwork has been submitted, and that the shipments should be fine, for this week to leave the European Union," Anand said. "We are expecting our shipments as a result, and all systems are a go for these shipments."

Anand's office confirmed to CBC that vaccine deliveries have already begun to arrive in Canada.

On Monday, Minister of International Trade Mary Ng said she and the prime minister had received a number of verbal assurances from European officials that Canada's vaccine orders would not be affected by the controls. Opposition MPs said the government should have sought written guarantees to that effect.

On Tuesday morning, Prime Minister Trudeau echoed Ng's statements.

"The conversations I had with the president of the European Commission were enough to reassure me, and should be enough to reassure all Canadians, that the European Union is extremely mindful that Canada's contracts be respected, and that our supply of vaccines not be interfered with," Trudeau said at his morning press conference.

He added that in his phone conversation with European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen, she told him that the export controls were a transparency measure.

According to the European Commission website, "The objective of this measure is to ensure timely access to COVID-19 vaccines for all EU citizens and to tackle the current lack of transparency of vaccine exports outside the EU."

Great news, and good decision by the EU. We may not need to use that leverage list at all.

Lange

Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I can't fucking wait for my visa, I'm almost part of this wonderful country.

Canada did very well preparing for the vaccines.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what bullshit excuse the Conservative party has next?

CPC: You didn't order enough vaccines for everyone!
CPC: What? You ordered more than any other country on Earth, per capita?
CPC: See! Our fucking provincial Premieres who happen to also be Conservative are screwing up.... wait, don't quote us on that.
CPC: Look! The EU is trying to block your proactively acquired vaccine imports, because they couldn't sign contracts as fast you! Hahaha, you fucked up!
CPC: What!? They still approved them!? Never fear, we will find a way to blame this on you Federal government!

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Related:
Canada inks deal to produce millions of COVID-19 shots domestically
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vaccines-canada-production-trudeau-1.5897343

Basically, the government see the writing on the wall for production delays and protectionism, and that while the EU is trying to clear the way, it's inevitable that there could be bumps in the road if the situation gets much worse.

.Detective. exactly to your point there is a big ol' quote in there from the CPC with the usual "amazon next day delivery is too slow" commentary. Personally I'm waiting for them to get into time-travel gems gems like "Why didn't we start vaccinating a year ago?"

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Related:
Canada inks deal to produce millions of COVID-19 shots domestically
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vaccines-canada-production-trudeau-1.5897343

Basically, the government see the writing on the wall for production delays and protectionism, and that while the EU is trying to clear the way, it's inevitable that there could be bumps in the road if the situation gets much worse.

.Detective. exactly to your point there is a big ol' quote in there from the CPC with the usual "amazon next day delivery is too slow" commentary. Personally I'm waiting for them to get into time-travel gems gems like "Why didn't we start vaccinating a year ago?"

Agreed!

Also, there is now a Saskatoon Lab that will have the ability to create 40, 000, 000 doses per year, as part of the domestic investment for production.

I am waiting on what "complaints" come from this. Likely something about taking jobs away from GOP workers or something unrelated.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed!

Also, there is now a Saskatoon Lab that will have the ability to create 40, 000, 000 doses per year, as part of the domestic investment for production.

I am waiting on what "complaints" come from this. Likely something about taking jobs away from GOP workers or something unrelated.
But the company's planned self-amplifying ribonucleic acid (RNA) COVID-19 vaccine will not be ready this year, in fact, according to a government backgrounder, Precision NanoSystems's shot won't be produced in Canada until sometime in March 2023.

The University of Saskatchewan's Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO) is also working to stand up domestic manufacturing capacity of a COVID-19 vaccine, but that facility won't be completed until the end of 2021 at the earliest.
The complaint is going to be that it's not done in any timely manner. Nobody has any appetite to wait till 2022 or 2023 for vaccines.