• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Honestly that's on you. There are plenty of people in their mid 30s that did not become more centrist/conservative.
It's an easy excuse to say, "well that's just the way it goes, now I've got mine.".

I'm in my mid 30s, have a very good job and income and am still 100% for wealth redistribution, higher taxation, against NIMBYsm and potentially even more left wing than I used to be (but if then only marginally, as I was always very left wing).
Perhaps you're right. I'm probably more of a product of my upbringing than I care to admit.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
That's rather naive - well intentioned, but naive. It's well known that people become more right wing as they get older, start working and paying tax. Many of the older Tory voters were likely leftie flower power tree huggers back in the 70s. But time changes people, both through experience and their own personal needs. So the long game is unlikely to pay off.

The older generation will tell you about the Winter of Discontent under the Labour government and just how bad things can get if you go too far left.

I was a massive leftie in my youth but now at 38 I'm very much in the middle. Sadly that almost leaves me politically homeless right now.

Best bet of Labour getting in again is waiting for more of those who remember the Winter of Discontent to pass away (quite a while yet), or a more centre-leaning leader as per the Blair days.

THere's been some studies that have shown that the fabled "Labour-Conservative conversion" who are key to the Tories are doing so much later in life than they used to. It's been a concern for some policy types in the Party.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Corbyn can't even admit where he stands personally on the issue, that's his number one problem

he is pro-Brexit but young Brits are pro-Remain

So when a general election rolls around who should we vote for?

The Liberal Democrats promised to just revoke Article 50 unless I am mistaken but I still remember their tuition fee hike which is not even ancient history yet. However I feel it will be more likely that if anyone other than the conservatives win, it will be Labour and therefore I should support them if my number one priority is to remove the conservatives.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Tzeentch and Slaanesh are happy as well. Nurgle is probably grumpy because all those stockpiled body bags for No Deal Brexit are still unused.

PS: Feels weird to be the one brining up Tzeentch, that's usually FunkyPapa's job in the OT, if I'm not mistaken.

Nurgle would love the apathy and nothing truly happening outside of the slow and inevitable decline of the UK. Shit, the "I don't care what happens, just make it stop" people are basically 1-1 Nurgle cultists, with the exception of them begging brexit to stop instead of the rotting of their bodies.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
NpecE25.gif

this js unsettling

Edit: Also the gif

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever is standing in your constituency who can best oppose a pro-Brexit candidate.

If ever there was a time where putting a common goal above party politics is vital, it's this one. I don't give a toss if you end up voting Lib Dem, Labour, Green, Monster Raving Loony, whoever- if you want to stop Brexit, vote tactically.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
50% of the UK population didn't vote for leave. We're also now at a stage where a lot more of the younger generation who were not old enough to vote in 2016 are now at voting age. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure a majority of the younger population are pro EU.

Polls (for whatever they are worth) show the split at 50/50 right now. I suspect Leave would win again.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn needs to step down and get replaced by a leader who gives a damn about remain

What's holding Labour back the most at this point?

Is it Corbyn, specifically? Is it that time is a powerful force and it is on the side of Brexit and so being anti-Brexit means a lower electoral ceiling? Is it whatever issues Labour had leading up to Cameron winning general election and then later on winning again with much better numbers?

Basically, to me, an ignorant American, it feels like Labour is in a lose-lose position. Yes, it'd be nice for the opposition leader to have stronger pro-Remain bonafides. But then the issue becomes how to navigate the British public's (overall) desire to respect the referendum and get the damn thing over with, no? Labour, in general, seems to be in a tough position.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017

The Liberal Democrats promised to just revoke Article 50 unless I am mistaken but I still remember their tuition fee hike which is not even ancient history yet. However I feel it will be more likely that if anyone other than the conservatives win, it will be Labour and therefore I should support them if my number one priority is to remove the conservatives.
Theirs? So it was just the lib dems was it?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

LibDems said they will only revoke A50 if they win with a majority. They're not going to win a majority.

Labour are unlikely to win a majority (based on today) but they could potentially get enough seats to form a coalition government. But depending how many seats short of majority they are, well that in itself presents some real problems. We'd get an all out war between Labour and the independents, LibDems and SNPs all with their own demands to be part of any coalition - whether to revoke A50, whether to hold another referendum, what that would entail, and of course all with the SNP demanding indieref2 as part of any coalition agreement. I can't see how Labour could sign up for that.

On the flipside, if the Tories are in a position slightly short of a majority (as incumbent and having first chance to form a coalition), then that also carries with it the same problems. DUP won't join them this time based on the current withdrawal deal, and going in to coalition with Farage's party could be seen as playing with fire. And everyone else is pro-Remain and/or anti-Johnson.

Either way, it's going to be messy. On one hand it's all going to be wonderfully exciting and entertaining to watch, because pretty much anything can and will happen at this stage. On the other it's scary and depressing as fuck to think this could go on forever and how the uncertainty will only further significantly affect the economy. We desperately need political reform.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Whoever is standing in your constituency who can best oppose a pro-Brexit candidate.

If ever there was a time where putting a common goal above party politics is vital, it's this one. I don't give a toss if you end up voting Lib Dem, Labour, Green, Monster Raving Loony, whoever- if you want to stop Brexit, vote tactically.
which is why an election is a terrible approach to this.

i mean, i know why tories want to do it, but what if i'm a pro-EU tory voter, now i have to vote green*? it's ridiculous.

*for dramatic purposes let's pretend the libdems don't exist

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
which is why an election is a terrible approach to this.

i mean, i know why tories want to do it, but what if i'm a pro-EU tory voter, now i have to vote green*? it's ridiculous.

*for dramatic purposes let's pretend the libdems don't exist
It is terrible, but it's the only chance we've got. This Parliament is not going to pass a referendum.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's weird to take solace in what Nigel FUCKING Farage is saying, but seeing him go so hard on Boris for this deal, and this extension, is surely going to help make the Tories easier to defeat than if he weren't. If Brexit was *truly* his goal (he's a grifter first if you ask me) working with the Tories would be the best strategy.

And a lot of the people who listen to Boris are also swayed by Farage.

"Boris did not say 'I'll do my best to get us out'. He didn't say 'I will try to get us out'. He said we WILL be getting out of the EU by October 31st. Will the Conservatives apologise for breaking their promise?" - NFF.

You're trying to throw a three pointer before the buzzer. It's probably going to miss. But if you don't take the shot you lose. Fingers tightly crossed.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
That's rather naive - well intentioned, but naive. It's well known that people become more right wing as they get older, start working and paying tax. Many of the older Tory voters were likely leftie flower power tree huggers back in the 70s. But time changes people, both through experience and their own personal needs. So the long game is unlikely to pay off.

The older generation will tell you about the Winter of Discontent under the Labour government and just how bad things can get if you go too far left.

I was a massive leftie in my youth but now at 38 I'm very much in the middle. Sadly that almost leaves me politically homeless right now.

Best bet of Labour getting in again is waiting for more of those who remember the Winter of Discontent to pass away (quite a while yet), or a more centre-leaning leader as per the Blair days.

Let's assume people become more conservative when they age. What "left" and "right" means change over time though. It's not that long ago that women voting was a controversial idea and I'm sure left/right axis had some very different opinions on the subject.

On this particular subject (being member of EU), I don't see why people being more conservative would mean they would be more anti-EU. None of the driving ideas behind anti-EU attitude are inherently conservative.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Theirs? So it was just the lib dems was it?

Yeah, I hate them for it. With the conservatives it's to be expected, I was not surprised but with the Liberal Democrats I am pretty sure one of their campaign promises was to not increase tuition fees, they can go **** themselves.

EDIT: Now that I am reviewing it, **** them, I decided my vote is going to Labour.

Before joining the Conservatives in a coalition after the general election, the Lib Dems had pledged to phase out tuition fees altogether over six years.

Many of the party's MPs, including Mr Clegg, signed a National Union of Students pledge not to vote for higher fees if re-elected in May.

But responding to a review of university funding by Lord Browne, the government has announced plans to allow some universities in England to charge up to ÂŁ9,000 a year from 2012 - the current cap is ÂŁ3,290.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Polls (for whatever they are worth) show the split at 50/50 right now. I suspect Leave would win again.

Leave won't win again. I believe the tide has turned and most people are against Brexit.

It's important that we do all we can to kill off Brexit, otherwise we're going to be left out of the USE project. The future of the EU is federal state very much like the USA currently. Rather than national counties like France,.UK, Germany etc etc, we will have EU region states in their place with a combined USE armed forces. That's the future of Europe that I want to be part of and that we should be campaigning for.

First though we need to kill off Brexit. The longer this drama goes on, the more fed up people become with the whole process. Speaking of personal experience, my grandfather was a huge Brexit supporter, but as it's dragged on he now knows he's been taken for a fool and wants the UK to remain. I doubt he's the only one.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Let's assume people become more conservative when they age. What "left" and "right" means change over time though. It's not that long ago that women voting was a controversial idea and I'm sure left/right axis had some very different opinions on the subject.

On this particular subject (being member of EU), I don't see why people being more conservative would mean they would be more anti-EU. I don't think any of the driving ideas behind anti-EU attitude are inherintly conservative.
I was talking about which parties people might vote for not whether they are pro or anti EU as a result. I agree that the correlation there doesn't make sense.

After all, a huge chunk of Brexit voters are (or were) left leaning Labour voters. Many of the people who voted for Brexit are ironically the ones who would benefit most from both the EU and a Labour government, living in poor areas of social injustice. But "bring back control!!!" etc.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Leave won't win again. I believe the tide has turned and most people are against Brexit.

It's important that we do all we can to kill off Brexit, otherwise we're going to be left out of the USE project. The future of the EU is federal state very much like the USA currently. Rather than national counties like France,.UK, Germany etc etc, we will have EU region states in their place with a combined USE armed forces. That's the future of Europe that I want to be part of and that we should be campaigning for.

First though we need to kill off Brexit. The longer this drama goes on, the more fed up people become with the whole process. Speaking of personal experience, my grandfather was a huge Brexit supporter, but as it's dragged on he now knows he's been taken for a fool and wants the UK to remain. I doubt he's the only one.

I don't know where your confidence comes from. Even if there was another referendum, and Remain won, I think even the most optimistic people would say there will be at least 45% of the vote for Leave. There really hasn't been much of a change since the vote in public opinion, if anything, there are a decent chunk of people who voted Remain who would rather "just get it done".

A vision of a European superstate certainly isn't going to win any more votes (though if you share stories of them killing migrants in the Mediterranean Sea - maybe it would).

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

On this particular subject (being member of EU), I don't see why people being more conservative would mean they would be more anti-EU. None of the driving ideas behind anti-EU attitude are inherently conservative.

Anti-immigration is the driving idea behind anti-EU attitude of today. Which is a pillar of modern conservatism.

Jan 2, 2018
Season 3 of brexit is wild. I for one am happy that season 4 is coming. There we talks of ending this show.

I'd rate it as one of the best shows on TV at the moment.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
If you want to get rid of the Tories, vote for a party locally that can get rid of the Tories.

If you live in a bit of the country where your vote doesn't matter, go ask Mr Corbyn why he doesn't back voting reform.

I'm so sorry if you're only realistic options are Tory or Lib Dem

Obviously you should vote Lib Dem in that instance

And yet I can still say that they're trash.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to get rid of the Tories, vote for a party locally that can get rid of the Tories.

Fully agree, though, I would say a vote for the Lib Dems are as good as a vote for the Tories.

The Lib Dem leader has ruled out supporting a Labour government (as they have done for the last several elections). They have not ruled out going into coalition with, or supporting a Tory government.

Given that the only two options for the next PM of the UK are Corbyn or Johnson - it seems that a Lib Dem vote is by default a Tory vote anyway. Their leader has voted with the Tory whip more times than many Tories anyway.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know where your confidence comes from. Even if there was another referendum, and Remain won, I think even the most optimistic people would say there will be at least 45% of the vote for Leave. There really hasn't been much of a change since the vote in public opinion, if anything, there are a decent chunk of people who voted Remain who would rather "just get it done".

A vision of a European superstate certainly isn't going to win any more votes (though if you share stories of them killing migrants in the Mediterranean Sea - maybe it would).

I'd say there are a larger chunk of people that voted leave, but are now sick of it and want to remain, but we'll agree to disagree on this.

A EU superstate won't win any voters over. That we can both agree with, but this will be a gradual process that happens over the next decade or so. Let's say we end up remaining. The next step will be to plough ahead with the EU superstate movement.

It's the real next phase of the EU. No more countries. No more nationalism. Just one big united EU state. But first we need to carry on with the remain movement and convince people we're better off in and make them see they were sold a lie in 2016.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
EU has no spine at all. Why allow yet another extension of this mess? I thought France said they wouldn't back it. No member veto'ed this ongoing joke. UK has shown no sign of progress since the initial Brexit vote. Three months isn't going to change much.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EU has no spine at all. Why allow yet another extension of this mess? I thought France said they wouldn't back it. No member veto'ed this ongoing joke. UK has shown no sign of progress since the initial Brexit vote. Three months isn't going to change much.
Because they've got almost as much to lose as we have.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
There is very little downside to the EU in them granting an extension.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
2nd and 4th post cracked me up. Well done lads!

Anyways, standby for the ultimate 360, I have a feeling all those conservative points might evaporate once Boris actually has to do some campaigning against other leaders

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No EU country is going to allow a member (Ireland) go through the devastation that a No Deal Brexit would bring. They'll accept any extension requests for as long as they can.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Totally expected. EU vastly prefers Remain or Deal - they won't deny an extension if the result of that would be No Deal. People saying the EU are spineless are being silly.