• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
This just makes me so angry. Canada's rates are absolutely absurd. I just bought two ticket to fly from Toronto to Chicago and I paid around $750 with taxes.

The flight is under 2 hours...

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's actually well documented that airline prices in the US should be lower however the consolidation and mergers of airlines (Delta + Northwest, Southwest + Airtrain, American + US Airways, etc.) has lead to stagnation in competition across the industry and "price fixing". I put that in quotations because it's not the traditional definition that the major airliners are engaging in however they have locked up certain geographical territories and in turn have unwritten rules to avoid stepping on each other's toes on valuable routes. As shitty as the Frontiers, Spirits, etc. are of the world they are actually doing consumers a service by creating inroads on the inflated pricing.

Airliners want you to believe that geography is the problem here but on a per mile/KM basis, we are way inflated vs. Europe. This is why mega mergers are bad and government needs to step in.
Per passenger airport facility costs in the USA are significantly higher in the USA than the rest of the world because our airports are government run. When you fly between well run and low cost airports in the USA the costs per mile get to similar levels.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Germany just start a huge rail promotion to get people away from flying?

In this case, lower fees on trains. I guess conversely they can raise taxes on flying?

These measures by the german government are a joke and nothing huge. Just a meaningless gesture to reduce pressure from the FFF protestors.

To get people to switch from flight to train travel you probably have to double current flight prices while cutting prices for train travel in half.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I got to Denver from Dallas for 25 bucks. Y'all need to step up your American flight game

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Per passenger airport facility costs in the USA are significantly higher in the USA than the rest of the world because our airports are government run. When you fly between well run and low cost airports in the USA the costs per mile get to similar levels.

Gate fees are still relatively small component of the overall cost. Profits are at an all time high across all major US airliners. If you observe the income statements for these companies their expenses as a % of revenues did not drastically drop post-merger meaning these companies did not recognize significant efficiencies gained. Rather increased profits is coming from top live revenue growth which is because prices have increased or stagnated. Read The Great Reversal as it documents the last two decades extremely well in this industry and shows why airlines are the key example of how the US governments increasing willingness to not object to mega mergers and acquisitions is hurting our economy in relative terms to the European Union.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
One of the best things about living in Europe, indeed. I remember one time I wanted to go to Italy (living in Madrid) and I booked tickets for Madrid - Rome - Venice - Rome - Madrid and in total it costed me 160 euros.
Now living in Asia, flights can be cheap too, but distances are much longer and even "cheap" flights will cost so much more than in Europe.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gate fees are still relatively small component of the overall cost. Profits are at an all time high across all major US airliners. If you observe the income statements for these companies their expenses as a % of revenues did not drastically drop post-merger meaning these companies did not recognize significant efficiencies gained. Rather increased profits is coming from top live revenue growth which is because prices have increased or stagnated. Read The Great Reversal as it documents the last two decades extremely well in this industry and shows why airlines are the key example of how the US governments increasing willingness to not object to mega mergers and acquisitions is hurting our economy in relative terms to the European Union.
Will read the recommendation, thanks. But remember the airlines are getting record profits after going through bankruptcy.
And europe is heavily consolidated as well to three major airlines, Lufthansa (and subs), IAG (and subs), Air France-KLM. You do have comparable non-legacy airlines as well, Southwest-Ryan Air, Jet Blue-Norwegian, Wow-Alaskan, etc... Every coastal market is competitive with at least four carriers flying into them, but landing, gate, services, fuel, and then passenger direct fees at JFK are 3 to 4 times higher than LHR I vaguely remember hearing.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
A cheap 30-40 min flight where I live costs the same as a 3.5 hour flight in Europe.

In fact I once paid less for a 3 hour flight in Europe than a 3 hour intrastate bus trip here in Brazil...

I miss this part of Europe.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you comparing this to? I've travelled to several European capitals recently and never had any problems with transport to/from the airport. So far Dublin has been the only oddity because they didn't have any train service to the airport, only bus, but I had no issues taking the bus.

On the other hand I live in one of the largest cities in the US and there's basically one bus route to the airport and it really only serves a limited portion of downtown. I have to drive to the airport on a barely adequate highway that's had constant construction for 10+ years. That or take a toll road.

Really to that one time i accidentally booked a flight for the Beauvais Paris airport and ended up with a 1h30 bus ride to the city center.
That was harrowing.

Milan's airport is also pretty stupid.
but yeah, everything else is fine. it's mainly thar ryanair has the stupidest airports (Beauvais in Paris, Ciampino in Rome, etc), so their 15€ prices can be deceptive

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
If you increase taxes then only the rich would be able to afford flying and that's not something I can get behind.
You can still afford to fly even with a significant tax on the fuel. That's not a problem. But if a single country implement such a tax, other countries can get more market share, that's why everyone wants cheap kerosene.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I love the train though
Same. I'd much rather take train trips.

Yes 12,5% from which 10% are discounted to the Tickets but only long Rail trips. This is a Joke because on the other side City Bus, Metro etc. is more expensive since 1.1.20.

I like to go by Train but the prices are ridiculous here in Germany (and our train system is one of the Worst in Europe...)
Are the prices here that high? Don't have much context with other countries.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Ryanair sucks, though. You need to pay for priority boarding if you want carry-on luggage, otherwise you're stuck with a small bag.

But it's true, our politicians should actively be working to make train travel cheaper, but they're all too chickenshit. It's cheaper to fly from Brussels to Amsterdam than it is to take the Thalys. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Yeah, train prices are just absurdly expensive.
I even took a plane to Amsterdam from Belgium because the train prices were almost triple.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
It's not doable for every country in Europe but starting this year, public transportation is free for everybody in the country I live in.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryanair sucks, though. You need to pay for priority boarding if you want carry-on luggage, otherwise you're stuck with a small bag.

But it's true, our politicians should actively be working to make train travel cheaper, but they're all too chickenshit. It's cheaper to fly from Brussels to Amsterdam than it is to take the Thalys. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Last year they made rules evw worse, but hey 20 euro return are still a thing. Cannot pretend much more. Just pay a bit of attention, never paid a extra on Ryan Air in my life.

Plus one of few airlines that don't overbook.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah here's the extra stuff you'd need to pay for. I think the airport checkin is checking in at the actual airport instead of online before hand or something?

1pweMY1.png

Aya

Yup, airtravel in Europe and even outbound flights from Europe to Canada, for ex, is crazy cheap compared to 10 - 15 years ago. Train travel however, it's almost becoming too overpriced to even consider. I do not understand why they're not trying to make trains more attractive pocket wise. Paying from Vienna to Salzburg by train is comparable to paying from Vienna to Marseille by plane (with a low cost company but who cares). Crazy

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, airtravel in Europe and even outbound flights from Europe to Canada, for ex, is crazy cheap compared to 10 - 15 years ago. Train travel however, it's almost becoming too overpriced to even consider. I do not understand why they're not trying to make trains more attractive pocket wise. Paying from Vienna to Salzburg by train is comparable to paying from Vienna to Marseille by plane (with a low cost company but who cares). Crazy
Despite the insanely cheap plane I still might train to Vienna instead just because I want to try the nightjet private sleeper car once lol.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I got a return trip from London to Rome for £20 last year. Mental how low prices can be, taxi to the airport cost more than that.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yup, it's way too cheap. They should invest in rail a lot more.

That said; sometimes the tickets look cheap, but those pricefighters often fly on secondary airports; so with all the extras that you often 'need' to buy and the transportation; sometimes they aren't cheaper at all compared to more expensive airlines. Also, in general, you spend a few extra hours as well.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think the main problem with inter country trains in Europe is that nothing is standardized. Everybody runs different voltages and countries like France and the UK for some reason even have different standards within the country. Meanwhile the Iberian peninsula has incompatible train tracks with the rest of Western Europe and I think central Europe has a different track width as well.

voltage_maps-voltages.gif

Of course nobody wants to pick up the tab and budge for the other countries, so until that time planes will remain a lot cheaper.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a good thing. As an european, I'd rather have higher prices for flight tickets and more affordable trains.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I think the main problem with inter country trains in Europe is that nothing is standardized. Everybody runs different voltages and countries like France and the UK for some reason even have different standards within the country. Meanwhile the Iberian peninsula has incompatible train tracks with the rest of Western Europe and I think central Europe has a different track width as well.

Of course nobody wants to pick up the tab and budge for the other countries, so until that time planes will remain a lot cheaper.
All true - and all exacerbated by the fact that in-country rail travel in the UK is stupefyingly expensive unless you plan way ahead, so the "home" leg of an English traveller's train journey is going to cost more than the flight, before they even cross the channel.

For some added context for US ERA, UK rail fares are high, they just rose another 2.7%, and a good proportion of our operators have terrible track records for actually providing a service.

It says a lot that I'd honestly rather drive to Paris, from Manchester, than get the train.

Sirenja

Oct 27, 2017
Really depends on where you live - flights from Austria are only cheap if you book like 6 months in advance and there are few non stop flights :/ I can't even fly to London for cheap from my city!

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

This issue is already solved by german trains. When they enter the french network they switch to the french voltage.

Deleted member 54170

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Really depends on where you live - flights from Austria are only cheap if you book like 6 months in advance and there are few non stop flights :/ I can't even fly to London for cheap from my city!

Yeah, I live in styria and flights from graz are really expensive, so we usually take the train from graz to vienna airport and fly from there

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Yep, they can be pretty crazy.

Going away in February for a short 6 day trip to Poland and for me and my Girlfriend it's costing us £80 ($105) total for the return flights.

Oct 25, 2017
If it's not during the tourist season you can pretty much travel to any European country you want to for less than 50€ but you get what you pay for.
It's probably better than spending god knows how many hours on a bus, train or boat but don't expect a pleasant experience.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is there some cheap train trip recommendation service like how skyscanner or google flights or whatever will give you trip options for destination cities? I don't think omio or Trainline or whatever has that. Each country's train service probably does but nothing otherwise?

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Is there some cheap train trip recommendation service like how skyscanner or google flights or whatever will give you trip options for destination cities? I don't think omio or Trainline or whatever has that. Each country's train service probably does but nothing otherwise?

Look up Interrail - it's a pass you can buy for a set period of time for countries of your choice for free (I believe) travel For the length of the pass + massive discounts on high speed rail.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It can be pretty cheap, yea. I've taken flights for about 20 EUR to fly from Sweden to places in Eastern Europe.
A random burger and a beer in Stockholm can cost you that much.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
It's cheap. But if it's one thing I don't bet on, it's the quality of the service when fucking flying. I used Ryanair once, but never again.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's cheap. But if it's one thing I don't bet on, it's the quality of the service when fucking flying. I used Ryanair once, but never again.
Maybe I'll feel the same if I ever have a terrible experience but I feel like only so much can suck for an intercontinental 2 hour flight.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
yeah in germany most people travel by train instead of flights already for domestic travel, which as a german myself i have found odd because high speed rail (IC/E) is more expensive than flights. but in europe overall, high speed rail is more expensive than flying. but yeah

but i still prefer the train, i travel within germany, and to france/netherlands/switzerland with rail all the time, i don't like airports and i don't really like experience of flying, so i don't mind paying more. just find high speed rail so much more comfortable/relaxing. doesn't feel like you're moving, seats are comfy, enough room, has a restaurant on board, no air pressure giving me headaches, etc.

what i want is, a high speed rail link into scandinavia from germany, ATM choice is to fly, drive car through denmark and over bridge to sweden, or drive your car to 1 of the ferry routes like from Rostock in Germany then over to Trelleborg in Sweden

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Seeing these European flight prices as an Australian makes me weep.

I'm planning a short trip from Melbourne to Brisbane (2.25 hours) and it costs AU$170 return on the most budget airliner.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All true - and all exacerbated by the fact that in-country rail travel in the UK is stupefyingly expensive unless you plan way ahead, so the "home" leg of an English traveller's train journey is going to cost more than the flight, before they even cross the channel.

For some added context for US ERA, UK rail fares are high, they just rose another 2.7%, and a good proportion of our operators have terrible track records for actually providing a service.

It says a lot that I'd honestly rather drive to Paris, from Manchester, than get the train.
Voltage switching is pretty easy. At least everything operates on overhead catenary. More interesting problem is that Spain operates on a different rail gauge.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I've used Ryanair a lot since they used to operate flights to Berlin out of Glasgow. I mean, it's a plane, it gets you there, the seats are just as cramped as anyone else flying anywhere in the world not in business class... I don't quite get all the problems with them. Yeah they're a shitty company but 99% of the time they get you where you want to go for usually pretty cheap fares.

To be fair I flew to Amsterdam with KLM recently and was surprised they handed out free alcohol and you could ask for more. So that was nice. Ryanair charges €5 for a small can of beer!