• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Europe needs to start investing heavily in AC installation and the power Infrastructure to support them or there are going to be mass deaths every summer across europe as climate change gets worse.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I always go for an hour long walk during lunch break and it never felt so good to be back at work. Holy fuck it's so hot already.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
30 here in the Netherlands, and honestly either I've grown somewhat accustomed to it, or it doesn't feel like 30. I remember a time not too long ago, in fact just a year or two, where everything above 25 would kill me.

Still, if I had it my way it would have been 19 or lower the entire year. 7-15 is my ideal temperature, I love the autumn.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It is pretty bad in the Netherlands right now and tomorrow will be even worse. That said, I can tolerate daytime heat–it are the warm, humid nights that are killing me. Temperatures of +30C would be infinitely more bearable if you at least had the prospect of relatively cool nights. Now there is basically no escaping the heat and your ability to sleep well also suffers.

Oct 29, 2017
It's been lovely so far in Sweden, maybe a bit too cold the last couple of weeks. This year I'm at least prepared with a fan, they were impossible to buy last year when the weather went crazy.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
35C here. It's so bad i started sweating while refueling my car.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty bad in the Netherlands right now and tomorrow will be even worse. That said, I can tolerate daytime heat–it are the warm, humid nights that are killing me. Temperatures of +30C would be infinitely more bearable if you at least had the prospect of relatively cool nights. Now there is basically no escaping the heat and your ability to sleep well also suffers.

Yep. Generally cold/mild environments will have houses designed to trap and hold the heat. So when its hot we're fucked.

I can handle 30c daytimes if you give me <10c nighttimes. it was 18c in the UK this morning at 6am. I'm already shattered and its only Monday

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm: physics actually work. Today we've had 33-35C in Cologne, Germany and I was alone in our small office (no AC).
My peer, a notoric window opener is currently on vacation. So, I opened all windows at 8:30am for half an hour, then left them closed till I left the office at 5pm with all blinds down the whole day. So with a small fan in silent mode it was actually pretty ok, wasn't even wearing shorts, so I'm like Goku wearing training weights now. Thank you thermodynamics for making sense!

Spread the word to all those heretics: keep the fucking windows shut!!!!

ss1

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm: physics actually work. Today we've had 33-35C in Cologne, Germany and I was alone in our small office (no AC).
My peer, a notoric window opener is currently on vacation. So, I opened all windows at 8:30am for half an hour, then left them closed till I left the office at 5pm with all blinds down the whole day. So with a small fan in silent mode it was actually pretty ok, wasn't even wearing shorts, so I'm like Goku wearing training weights now. Thank you thermodynamics for making sense!

Spread the word to all those heretics: keep the fucking windows shut!!!!

Yep I can agree with this. Our fancy shiny office (baujahr 2018) in Düsseldorf has no air-conditioning but an underground thermal transfer system (basically building-wide water cooling). This works well as longs as folks don't open windows and don't override the automatic blinds and you can feel a substantial 5-6 Grad difference from the outside temperature.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My heart goes out to everyone experiencing the dual evils of heat + humidity. It really is the worst. It just kills your mind and your body.

Also there goes my plans to run to Europe to escape the NYC summer. Thanks climate change.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Feel kinda shit...

Looked at the working roster last week and my work(mail delivery) seemed to be understaffed for today. I was willing to work extra (I am free most of the week) but when I wanted to call in, the issue seemed to be resolved. Looking at the roster today, just to see they are still understaffed.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I started my recent EU trip in Stockhom around a week and a half ago and it was great. Copenhagen was next and it started getting a bit uncomfortable in the afternoons (since I was at a music festival in an open area and walking a lot) but was great overall. Back in Sweden now and the weather is great in Gothenburg. But my next stops are Belgium and Spain for two more music festivals and am being warned it will get really hot. Bracing myself for the pain!

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Another day with +32 degrees in the office with both windows wide open. It's not that bad but I have so much less energy lately. I'm nonstop sleepy.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, with this fucking Global Warming shit, i'm starting to seriously considering moving to Sweden.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
15C with a cool breeze and mist here on the English Northeast coast at 1040. A few drops of rain. I know most English people would moan about it, but this is very comfortable weather.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
All the talk of portable AC units makes me feel like I should post this.

They're better than nothing, but a two hose system, or a window mount unit is always better.

Also I feel like a lot of people would hate me. I've been known to not even bother with AC until it's well above 90 out, and I usually keep it at around 80ish when I don't have guests over. As long as the air is moving then I'm good, and fans take care of that just fine.

Split systems (or window units) are the ideal, two-hose will do in a pinch.

Also, the negative pressure caused by those portable (single hose) air conditioners might cause your heater to leak carbon monoxide - always check with a professional first before buying one of those! Plenty of people die every year due to this issue.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
All the talk of portable AC units makes me feel like I should post this.

They're better than nothing, but a two hose system, or a window mount unit is always better.

Also I feel like a lot of people would hate me. I've been known to not even bother with AC until it's well above 90 out, and I usually keep it at around 80ish when I don't have guests over. As long as the air is moving then I'm good, and fans take care of that just fine.

This has been an issue for me. I can't find any two hose systems and window units are impossible. I'm stuck with a single hose unit. It does pretty well but I wish I could do better.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Another day with +32 degrees in the office with both windows wide open. It's not that bad but I have so much less energy lately. I'm nonstop sleepy.

You might try to let the windows open during the night and closing everything during the day, including any type of blinds/curtains/whatever to stop the sun directly hitting the inside of the office. That might be a little bit better.

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If outside is hotter than inside, having your windows open is apparently not the way to go. At least that's what Google tells me.
Yeah, I've read about that and tried it but It never fucking worked at least for me. I'm immediately covered in sweat with windows closed for more than an hour. For me, the temperature is bearable, it's just the feeling of being non stop tired and sleepy.

You might try to let the windows open during the night and closing everything during the day, including any type of blinds/curtains/whatever to stop the sun directly hitting the inside of the office. That might be a little bit better.
Thank you for the advice. I would gladly do that but sadly our company and security policy forbid leaving windows open after work. It sucks but can't be helped from what I know.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've read about that and tried it but It never fucking worked at least for me. I'm immediately covered in sweat with windows closed for more than an hour. For me, the temperature is bearable, it's just the feeling of being non stop tired and sleepy.

I've covered every desk with USB fans, the only thing that makes the temperature bearable.

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Its fine here in Balkans, but the summer has just begun. I expect the peak heat will be in August.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly, the forecast here in Sweden seems to be modest all things considered, considering how hellish it was last year. It's all around ~25 degrees here.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Feel kinda shit...

Looked at the working roster last week and my work(mail delivery) seemed to be understaffed for today. I was willing to work extra (I am free most of the week) but when I wanted to call in, the issue seemed to be resolved. Looking at the roster today, just to see they are still understaffed.

The upside from this mistake is that I'm now sitting in a perfectly air-conditioned movie theater.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I see so many teens in my area wearing jeans, t-shirts and long sleeved sweatshirts with a down feather vest on top. I don't understand how they can cope with the heat?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Europe needs to start investing heavily in AC installation and the power Infrastructure to support them or there are going to be mass deaths every summer across europe as climate change gets worse.

Maybe for people that are in danger (health), otherwise you just add to the problem.

European cities should plan trees everywhere.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
It is difficult in here too. Thanks god, things will cool down next week. The last thing I want is a scortching hot summer. Last year, the grass everywhere turned yellow. It fueld anxiety among everyone.