• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I would suggest you don't pick the very best teams in the league, that is what we call a glory supporter and it's considered a bit cuntish. E.g

"I love soccer, I support Manchester City, Barcelona /Real Madrid & Juventus!" (&bayern)

=massive cunt!

Plus, it is much more fun supporting a team who is a bit of an underdog, as there is more excitement. For example with City against most of the premiere league is a bit of a procession. Whilst the football is technically excellent, there is no excitement as the result feels inevitable.

I would also consider the ethical background of some of the clubs:

Chelsea: history of racist fans & and owned by an extremely morally dubious Russian billionaire.

Man City & Paris San germain: owned by oppressive Islamic dictators/monarchs.

Barcelona: sponsored by Qatar - as above.AAlso a history of poor sportsmanship - play acting to falsely claim forms etc

Real Madrid : Franco's team.

Do you have any ethnic or family ties to anywhere in Europe?

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I think I am closing in on Bournemouth. They sound fun, are from an area (fairly) close to my long-ago family history (North Petherwin) and their colors match my high school colors back in the day.

Seems like fate.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South west of England is the most underperforming region by far don't think they have ever had a team in the top flight.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't just jump on a team. Watch some of the bigger games from the English, Spanish, Italian and German leagues, watch some of the smaller games, watch a few Champions League games and you will probably get drawn to a specific club for whatever reason.

Not sure if you get championship football but those games are often more balanced to watch although of lesser quality.

Oh yeah as you are going by TV and potentially a supporters club in your city/town you are potentially better off going for one of the bigger clubs. Simply because you can watch the games (they also play later in the day as well) and there will be people to interact with in your area.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I tend to go for teams that have a good shot at winning but are a bit of an underdog.
Not Man City then.

Liverpool play exciting football. Chelsea are up there in talent but less exciting to watch, and I have a hard time forgiving their open support for that cheating bastard Diego Costa (now at Athletico Madrid). Man Utd are underdogs now :-) Arsenal and Spurs are smaller, both have potential to do well (less so Arsenal lately).

I only mentioned EPL because I'm here in the US, I've always watched EPL, and that's the easiest league to follow here since I get tons of games each week. I don't think I'm being biased to say it's the best league in the world though. I'd suggest record the games with the top 6 for a while, especially ones where they play each other, and hold back on a decision for who to support for a few months. Definitely watch the Champions League too.

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
BournemouthCat.png

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I would suggest you don't pick the very best teams in the league, that is what we call a glory supporter and it's considered a bit cuntish. E.g

"I love soccer, I support Manchester City, Barcelona /Real Madrid & Juventus!" (&bayern)

=massive cunt!

Plus, it is much more fun supporting a team who is a bit of an underdog, as there is more excitement. For example with City against most of the premiere league is a bit of a procession. Whilst the football is technically excellent, there is no excitement as the result feels inevitable.

I would also consider the ethical background of some of the clubs:

Chelsea: history of racist fans & and owned by an extremely morally dubious Russian billionaire.

Man City & Paris San germain: owned by oppressive Islamic dictators/monarchs.

Barcelona: sponsored by Qatar - as above.AAlso a history of poor sportsmanship - play acting to falsely claim forms etc

Real Madrid : Franco's team.

Do you have any ethnic or family ties to anywhere in Europe?
The Real Madrid was not Franco's team. It's not known what club Franco himself supported if any, and what the dictatorship did was appropriate the successes of Spanish football to sell its legitimacy, both domestically and abroad. Many clubs got financial help from the dictatorship to promote the sport, including FC Barcelona. All clubs had to do their fair share of boot licking, again including FC Barcelona.
Not that anybody had much choice.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arsenal Arsenal Arsenal. The only club that will truly take you on a journey. You'll fall in love as soon as you commit yourself.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Lol. Not sure if serious. Two clubs that are sanctioned for violating financial fair play, and which literally the property of a Russian oligarch and a totalitarian oil regime that keeps slavery, respectively, versus two clubs that are fully owned by their members and are funded exclusively by the money they make from tickets, television rights and merchandising.
no i'm talking about the club with historical support from fascist spanish kings who get backhanded govt money to buy players from other leagues cause their garbage academy can't produce world class talents anymore

and their rivals who were handed transfer bans for human trafficking underage south american children by bribing their parents with under the table payments but still went ahead and bought a striker who was banned for 8 games for racism and bites people on live tv

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Hey OP!

Wanna be known as a blue nose?

We play in the second tier of English football. Have almost been relegated back to back. We're run by a board who like to sack the manager for shits and giggles. We'll also be fighting relegation again this season. Sounds exciting right? Then you should support Birmingham City FC!

We also have the greatest club crest in the history of sport

blueslogo4x3101-290646.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
no i'm talking about the club with historical support from fascist spanish kings who get backhanded govt money to buy players from other leagues cause their garbage academy can't produce world class talents anymore

and their rivals who were handed transfer bans for human trafficking underage south american children by bribing their parents with under the table payments but still went ahead and bought a striker who was banned for 8 games for racism and bites people on live tv
I've heard many idiotic things in my life, but this is up on the podium. There have been kings in Spain, there have been fascists, but never fascist kings. I'd love to know what a fascist king looks like to have a laugh.
And it's funny that something a corrupt town hall (Whose party has been convicted for corruption since then) buying overpriced land more than 20 years ago for a single digit percentage of the operating expenses of a single year is somehow getting "backhand money from the government".

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017

So what's your justification for telling the OP to support Chelsea and Man City when they are shitty teams in terms of their owners? All four of the teams you mentioned are absolute trash morally. You seem to have glossed right over why you think the two PL teams are acceptable.

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Why look to (at times boring) European Football when you've the chaotic fun that are the South Am. football (At least Copa Libertadores)... XD

Join the ranks of Boca Juniors, River, Independiente, Sao Paulo, Gremio, Corinthians, Santos, Peñarol, Nacional, Colo Colo, Atlético Nacional, and others... XD

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
I think I am closing in on Bournemouth. They sound fun, are from an area (fairly) close to my long-ago family history (North Petherwin) and their colors match my high school colors back in the day.

Seems like fate.

If you want to support a non Premier League side as well, Plymouth Argyle would be the nearest professional side to where your family are from. They play in League Two (fourth division/tier) after being relegated from League One (third division/tier) last season. They have quite a lot of support from Cornwall, as Cornwall doesn't have a professional team (their highest team, Truro City, are now in the seventh tier after relegation last season).

Edit - To answer an earlier question of yours, North Petherwin FC are in the twelfth tier of English football.

South west of England is the most underperforming region by far don't think they have ever had a team in the top flight.

Tell me about it!

Being one of the lowest income areas in the country and not much in the way of funding doesn't help but geography has always been the biggest factor as with no large cities and successful clubs nearby players obviously tend to have a greater choice of clubs closer to home in and around London, Birmingham, Manchester, etc.

Last edited:

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Just support Swansea City. We were a premier league team until we were taken over by American owners who bought no players and sold off our best. Now we are in the Championship. Thankfully a new club chairman seems to be actually trying to balance the books and sell off a bunch of useless shits whose wages were raping us and who weren't even playing for us.
Still, we play good looking football and, if we can organise a defense this year, could have a good run at the playoffs. Maybe. Possibly.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Don't go running before you can walk. Just sample the start of the season as a neutral and let a team chose you. Is not gonna work if you choose Bournemouth and it turns out you don't like relegation scraps, scrappy games in general, the high potential for them not being the the top tier in a few seasons, the dread of losing your best player to the big clubs every time a transfer window rolls round.

Really you are unlucky with the Cornwall ancestry. Is well known for being the largest region without a hint of a decent club. Truro City are the best, and they are in the seventh tier.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
UK
I respect the Bournemouth pick. Anyone but liverpool really. They are renowned for having the most annoying fans ever and you don't want to be lumped in with that lot.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
In my mind you have two options:

- Choose something you are vaguely connected to. Family, regions, favorite food? For example, I'm from Portugal and half my family is from Porto so I grew up supporting that FC Porto even though I never lived there. You get the idea

- Choose a team that will play at the highest competition and is playing in the big leagues (Champions League preferably). This means the top contenders of the greatest leagues (Premier League, La Liga, etc...).
Choosing an underdog that can have a chance at something could also be a great option (Go Wolves!!!).

From the teams you suggested I would go with the Wolves. Full of portuguese people (the best kind of people), have been on the rise and play great soccer but still lose.

I typed this at 5PM and forgot to post crap.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't support Chelsea, proper cockneys. Either Tottenham, less cockney, or Liverpool for the quality of their football week in week out.

I'm United because I'm from Manchester, but they're not playing attractive football. Watching shit performances is part of the game if you're a supporter from birth but you probably want a consistent team if you're starting to watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Support the club in which You'll Never Walk Alone. Have a look at them winning the greatest prize in club football for the sixth time:

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Watch a bunch of matches and decide what team clicks with you. I was in a similar position years ago. I wanted to start watching premier league, because it was finally on US TV somewhat consistently. I knew nothing about EPL. I picked up PES 2007 on a whim and just played a ton of it while also starting to watch EPL matches every week. I was open to every team. I had no idea who was champions, front runners, etc other than I did gather who the top 4 or 5 teams were based on the fact that these match ups got the prime TV slots when there was only a few matches broadcast on US TV.

So I was playing PES 2007 and loving it, learning a lot more about the game, and watching it as much as I could on TV. I completely lame factor, but important one was Manchester United was one of the few fully licensed teams in PES 2007. I was learning every player's name in the game, so when I saw them on TV I had a better understanding of positions and could identify better with what I was watching. I was pretty sure I was convinced I was going to settle on Chelsea, but a few weekends in a row of watching Man U play, it clicked. I knew nothing about the team other than David Beckham had once played for them, but I could give a fuck about David Beckham at the time. I soon looked forward to watching them play any time they were on TV and their style of play at the time made me fall in love with the game and I became obsessed. I quickly learned they were in an era of dominance, which never feels good when you choose a team, because no one wants to be a front runner dickhead, but they were the only squad where I knew every player on the pitch and bench, and helped me learn the game.

As an American with zero friends watching EPL, complete ignorance of the league, and no family in the UK, I just watched a ton of matches and started following a team that made me excited to see them play. It is often some level of arbitrary for who we pick to support, but I have been a die hard fan since 2007 and can probably count on one hand the matches I have missed since then. IMO it is just as lame to try to pick some hipster mid tier team that is boring as fuck to watch that may put you off the beautiful game within one season than it is to pick a trendy team that genuinely makes you excited about the sport. Find the team that makes you love the game and stick with them, fuck the haters regardless. Welcome to the best sport in the world, I hope you find a team you can identify with and support the rest of your life.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im a Real Madrid fan but you dont need to follow them, the spanish league is pretty fun! Lots of teams with different styles, Betis, Real Sociedad and Celta are exciting teams as is Athletic Bilbao which uses only Vasque Country players ... which is crazy! Theyre good too!

If I was going to compare the 3 main leagues, Italy is the most defense based, Premier League most offense and Spanish league the most balanced. In Soain typically Real or Barca win but thats not because the other teams suck, its just because theyre that good, they would dominate the other leagues too. If you look at the overall numbers the past ten years, spanish teams have done very well in all European competitions with a variety of teams so I think the quality level of the league is pretty underrated tbh

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
FC Barcelona is the one that will make you love and hate football but live it at it's best.
But be ready to be attacked by Madrid and Chelsea fans.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
so I think the quality level of the league is pretty underrated tbh

They have been considered the top league by the UEFA ranking these past few years, how are they underrated? Lol

Honestly, almost all European leagues are way more competitive than people make them be. The quality is HIGH everywhere, you just have some monsters (Real Madrid, Liverpool) that make everyone else look bad.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They have been considered the top league by the UEFA ranking these past few years, how are they underrated? Lol

Underrated by the general fan. Most people I talk to irl (Americans) about soccer had no idea who Atletico de Madrid was until very recently or scoff at the thought that Sevilla, Valencia or Villarreal could beat a team like Man U or the Spurs and it shouldnt be a surprise