• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Buy a portable one, I got one 10 years ago for £300 still going strong, vents through a pipe out the window.
Well worth it, though I've not had to use it much even in this weather a fan usually keeps me cool but I turn it on now and again just to bring the temp down.
Of course a mobile unit. Is setting up the isolation for the exhaust air a huge hassle?

Yeah this won't be running all the time, just a temperature reset 2 times a day. Holy hell we'll have 30C at midnight the next 3 days in Western Germany. It's time to adapt to the changes. We have cities on this planet that shouldn't even exist.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
These are usually my temps in July, but it's been 90F all month long. Really weird.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Wish it were 100 degrees here. But for those Europeans who aren't used to this kind of shit, drink water, use sunblock, wear long sleeves and pants. Sounds counter-intuitive, but do it. Trust me.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Of course a mobile unit. Is setting up the isolation for the exhaust air a huge hassle?

Yeah this won't be running all the time, just a temperature reset 2 times a day. Holy hell we'll have 30C at midnight the next 3 days in Western Germany. It's time to adapt to the changes. We have cities on this planet that shouldn't even exist.

I don't isolate, yes there's gaps and it's not as efficient but it still does the job, I just close the windows when done.
I close my window when it gets dark too, live on the ground floor near brushery and it attracts all kinds of creepy crawlies and spiders :(

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Showing friends around the city in this heat all day is no fun, I can tell you that.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, this is the most important post and deserves its own thread. How come there is no London meet to welcome a legend?!

Here is view from the balcony of where I'm staying for next 3 months:

By4SVwj.jpg

It's a pretty cool area, just exploring around for now.

But no A/C here. Just got a bunch of fans and keeping the windows open.

toohectic

Oct 27, 2017

If you are going to buy a portable unit and you have the option, buy a dual hose model for the increased efficiency. Unfortunately dual hose models aren't that common, but it allows the heated exchange air to be both drawn and exhausted from/to the exterior of the dwelling. Single hose models only exhaust the heated air, so the source air has to come from the room you are attempting to cool. This means you are creating a vacuum in your room which draws hot air in to your room from the hot outside, and you are exhausting part of the cool air that you just cooled down. It's stupid and terrible for efficiency. The dual hose models are much better and they don't suffer from the same stupidity.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Thursday is going to be absolutely unbearable

36C where I am in Southern UK with no Office AC

I don't think it's been that high here in many years, it usually peaks at low 30s

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
22:40 and 36°C.

Fuck this summer already.

I can smell my crotch from here, I swear.

Same. Luckily, since i live alone, i can be as naked as i want. I think i'll probably spend the entire week as a nudist hidden in the shadows of my home. Works fairly well for now. But thursday will likely be quite hard.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Friends tell me it's going to be 39 in Brussels this thursday... i pray for them 🙏🙏

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
22:40 and 36°C.

Fuck this summer already.

I can smell my crotch from here, I swear.
Down to 29 here, and man, this is already hell. We should hit 23 around 6AM. That's the probably the lowest point of the next 3-4 days.

I kind of want to see one of these climate change deniers try to pull their bullshit and start "actually..." before the mob uses the last of its energy to tear them apart.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
A couple days ago the forecasts said that temperatures would drop on the weekend. But now it's supposed to barely get any cooler. Fuck me.

Oct 27, 2017
If you are going to buy a portable unit and you have the option, buy a dual hose model for the increased efficiency. Unfortunately dual hose models aren't that common, but it allows the heated exchange air to be both drawn and exhausted from/to the exterior of the dwelling. Single hose models only exhaust the heated air, so the source air has to come from the room you are attempting to cool. This means you are creating a vacuum in your room which draws hot air in to your room from the hot outside, and you are exhausting part of the cool air that you just cooled down. It's stupid and terrible for efficiency. The dual hose models are much better and they don't suffer from the same stupidity.
Yeah, I know about that. After the last heat-wave I've gathered some novice thermodynamics-knwoledge ;P
You can also easily modify the single hose models. BTW: wouldn't it help to buy 50 sports cooling sprays?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Forecast gone up to 41 in my area on thursday.
Thankfully work has an air con but leaving the building always feels like getting hit by a truck.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
This summer is the only opportunity for me to say that I'm actually hot without lying or joking.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Last night was already damn hot but surprisingly I slept well. Not having any mosquitoes to deal with helps. We just have to make it through today and tomorrow now, since things are set to cool down a bit after that.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
North of England here. Have to stay indoors as much as possible. There's no breeze, just warm air. Strip down to boxers as soon as I get home and stick to the couch.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Airco at my work is holding on for dear life. Worst part of the day is driving back home in my car without Airco.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, I work in Paris and I think tomorrow I'm going to have a really bad time. Also the train I took everyday doesn't have airco and is stuffed with people... Fuck me I guess :/

Oct 26, 2017
All the AC is leaking in my office building due to condensation because of the temperature difference, but atleast it hasn't broken down.

Yesterday wasn't too bad, I do wonder what kind of hellscape I'm going to becoming home to though. Atleast my new fan should arrive tonight.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I am at my in laws in the NorthEast of France in the mountains.

Shouldn't get higher than 36... but we're surrounded by trees so that's nice.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Commuting to London and going on the Piccadilly Line in this muggy heat is just not pleasant...

It'll be even worse come five o'clock, since I left Woodbridge as early as possible this morning.

And the school kids break up for the summer holiday on Friday too, which means more folks and families will be hopping onto the train for day trips — I can just about bear this heat, but not overcrowding.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Last night's thunderstorms in the Northwest of the UK were pretty gnarly, but they seem to have brought the temperature down a bit. It was 33 in Manchester city centre yesterday evening, but today currently feels more manageable.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
no Aircon in our office - we literally have USB fans on every desk, tower fans at the end of every row of desks, and multiple dyson fans coming on Friday.
We've been told to work from home tomorrow as its looking like 36/37.

For the last 5 years I've been threatening to get aircon at home and my wife goes 'its only two weeks, not worth it'. Well it would have been by now - 5 years worth of cool. I'd probably get an external unit installed, they aren't massively more expensive than the portable ones and then we could cool the living room and our bedroom - kids can fuck off :P

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Didn't realise they upped the london prediction to 38 for tomorrow, i'm sure somewhere can scrape to 40.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Last night's thunderstorms in the Northwest of the UK were pretty gnarly, but they seem to have brought the temperature down a bit. It was 33 in Manchester city centre yesterday evening, but today currently feels more manageable.

Had them in the South too about midnight

Never seen anything like it - lightning flashes every few seconds. It was pretty cool