• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I recall that but I'm referring to an official release date and dub cast if they're doing that this time around.

With the Party Chat systems and multiple party members, that's a heavier amount of dialogue than in previous Yakuza titles.

My money's on more of a Madden Season release.
It's true that there might be more text in this game, but since they've confirmed the localization for 5 months now, hopefully they've already done parts of the game (which is most likely true, with people finding credits for Y7's dub on that website) and they'll manage to do the rest in a timely fashion so we'll get this sooner rather than later.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
200.webp

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
60 hours in and still at just chapter 11. The reason for that is the battle system, substories being more important than before for leveling up, and the insanely addictive company management minigame.

Its my favorite Yakuza game, and I have played them all.(Except for Kenzan, Ishin and the PSP one)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But is Akiyama in it? That's the important question. RGG Studio keeps screwing my boy.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
fights apparently being potentially faster than the previous sounds like madness to me, my main fear with the genre shift was expecting tedious battles so this has my interest piqued.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It's kinda funny, I LOVE beat' em ups but the Yakuza games left me a bit cold gameplay-wise and I get the impression that the turn-based game will resonate with me best.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It is my favorite turn based combat rpg of all time!

Wow. Are you older or younger, and have you played a fair bit of turn-based RPGs? I'm trying to figure out of this is the approval of a more casual RPG fan or extremely high praise from a turn-based veteran.

Personally speaking I'm way more excited for this than I have been for any Yakuza in a while. This was such a smart, out of left field move.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I like what I'm reading except the real time elements, like the block button. If the game is turn based, gimme menus and nothing else.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
suck it haters, the complaints about the switch were largely stupid outside of it being a shame losing a brawler which is legit but the rest of the arguments were just every bad meme argument against turn based combat.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can I ask why you think that way? I agree it has a good foundation, but it severely lacks polish, especially when comparing it to SMT / Persona games:

The balancing is just bad, main jobs are almost too useful, with the stats mostly coming from job ranks, you are actively punished if you do decide to switch jobs regularly and follow the main story doing that, the last set of bosses have too much HP while dealing too little damage, so it just takes long to take them down, without you ever being in danger.

The environmental objects most of the time do not work, the friendship follow up attacks are dealing reduced damage compared to the guaranteed crits you get through an actual player turn, and especially in larger arenas you might not get a player turn as the automatic follow up takes too long and the enemy can get up before your next turn.

The game gives you no way to see enemy details during a battle, furthermore "resist" has several different meanings, so an enemy can resist blunt, slash and shot damage, yet they resist 60% blunt, 40% slash and only 10% shot, something the game never tells you, unless you try out all damage types with the same character and track damage numbers.

As is, the main issues are the battle system, which just lacks a ton of polish, if they do end up polishing this out, fixing all the stupid small bugs (I had characters teleport to enemies multiple times, because they kept running into parked cars) and balance it way better in terms of level curve, maybe even provide difficulty settings, you know like DQ and Persona, as well as all other RGG games have, this could end up being really really good, but saying "favorite turn based combat rpg" is just ignoring all these flaws.

Everyone has different tastes. I do love DQ, but it get a very slow warm up. I feel very much better after 30 hours of DQ11 gameplay. Say back to Persona. The dungeons and puzzles are boring for me and I hate the time limitation that I was always pushed to stop doing something.
I didn't say Yakuza 7 has no weak points. But for me it is the most enjoyable 110 hours than other JRPGs. The longer doesn't mean better. Feels much better than P5. Just for me. It skipped all the parts that I hate for Persona.

Oh and please don't mention balance. We all know how balance ruin games. In the last 2 chapters I always use the massive skills to finish combat which cost a lot of money. Thank goodness because it's not balance so it has lots of fun because that's the meaning for me to earn billions of money in mini games.
I like the way I choose to finish the game as I want. Not the balance that force me to do.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have a lot of interest into Yakuza 7 and I hope for it to be a success. Yakuza can do a 180 shift into turn-based but actual RPG series moved from it, and then people say Yakuza is trying nothing ...

Now it seems like I have an extremely kinetic turn based battle system with a lot of fun stuff and hilarious riffs on established conventions, like how the job system is an actual JOB you change into at the job center. I'm really excited for it.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Everyone has different tastes. I do love DQ, but it get a very slow warm up. I feel very much better after 30 hours of DQ11 gameplay. Say back to Persona. The dungeons and puzzles are boring for me and I hate the time limitation that I was always pushed to stop doing something.
I didn't say Yakuza 7 has no weak points. But for me it is the most enjoyable 110 hours than other JRPGs. The longer doesn't mean better. Feels much better than P5. Just for me. It skipped all the parts that I hate for Persona.
But this thread is purely about the battle system, and the fact is that compared to many other RPGs, this battle system lacks depth and is buggy, doesn't properly relay information to its player and has balancing issues, it shouldn't be that the number 1 tip for a specific boss fight in the OT has been "use a rocket launcher" instead of advising people which jobs to level and which weaknesses to exploit, simply because the player doesn't get all necessary information to do that.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow. Are you older or younger, and have you played a fair bit of turn-based RPGs? I'm trying to figure out of this is the approval of a more casual RPG fan or extremely high praise from a turn-based veteran.

Personally speaking I'm way more excited for this than I have been for any Yakuza in a while. This was such a smart, out of left field move.
Before Yakuza 7 my favorite turn based rpg is Divinity Original Sin 1&2 . Now you know my taste.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But is Akiyama in it? That's the important question. RGG Studio keeps screwing my boy.

No he isn't and he doesn't need a place here to be honest. In no way he would fit in here for the story

I like what I'm reading except the real time elements, like the block button. If the game is turn based, gimme menus and nothing else.

but you have both. It's a great way to stay invested in battle, but you can also just use guard to block.

Can I ask why you think that way? I agree it has a good foundation, but it severely lacks polish, especially when comparing it to SMT / Persona games:

The balancing is just bad, main jobs are almost too useful, with the stats mostly coming from job ranks, you are actively punished if you do decide to switch jobs regularly and follow the main story doing that, the last set of bosses have too much HP while dealing too little damage, so it just takes long to take them down, without you ever being in danger.

The environmental objects most of the time do not work, the friendship follow up attacks are dealing reduced damage compared to the guaranteed crits you get through an actual player turn, and especially in larger arenas you might not get a player turn as the automatic follow up takes too long and the enemy can get up before your next turn.

The game gives you no way to see enemy details during a battle, furthermore "resist" has several different meanings, so an enemy can resist blunt, slash and shot damage, yet they resist 60% blunt, 40% slash and only 10% shot, something the game never tells you, unless you try out all damage types with the same character and track damage numbers.

As is, the main issues are the battle system, which just lacks a ton of polish, if they do end up polishing this out, fixing all the stupid small bugs (I had characters teleport to enemies multiple times, because they kept running into parked cars) and balance it way better in terms of level curve, maybe even provide difficulty settings, you know like DQ and Persona, as well as all other RGG games have, this could end up being really really good, but saying "favorite turn based combat rpg" is just ignoring all these flaws.

I can see your points and I noticed them myself too which is why I would give them another entry to try to fix everything :)

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
But this thread is purely about the battle system, and the fact is that compared to many other RPGs, this battle system lacks depth and is buggy, doesn't properly relay information to its player and has balancing issues, it shouldn't be that the number 1 tip for a specific boss fight in the OT has been "use a rocket launcher" instead of advising people which jobs to level and which weaknesses to exploit, simply because the player doesn't get all necessary information to do that.

you haven't played the game don't you? There are depth, and I do spent a lot of time on trying different classes and skill sets, for example, electric weakness for machines, gunshots fired animals. Your team mates relationship level will influence
second chance attack.
Thinking about the position of enemies and the path for your characters makes the combat like a strategy game which has more joy moments than DQ or P5.
Girl's skills are more useful to Boss fights...And there are 2xx different enemies all of them full of funny skills that gave me surprise. And I really love the calling service skill and company skill from mini games. As it said from the article. It's all the details that make this combat so great!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you haven't played the game don't you? There are depth, and I do spent a lot of time on trying different classes and skill sets, for example, electric weakness for machines, gunshots fired animals. Your team mates relationship level will influence
second chance attack.
Thinking about the position of enemies and the path for your characters makes the combat like a strategy game which has more joy moments than DQ or P5.
Girl's skills are more useful to Boss fights...And there are 2xx different enemies all of them full of funny skills that gave me surprise. And I really love the calling service skill and company skill from mini games. As it said from the article. It's all the details that make this combat so great!

He did play the game and was one of the first that finished it in the topic :P He knows what he says and I can see his points. I agree with you that this system is stil better than P5 or DQ11 for example. Way more engaging.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
second chance attack. Girl's skills are more useful to Boss fights...And there are 2xx different enemies all of them full of funny skills that gave me surprise. And I really love the calling service skill and company skill from mini games. As it said from the article. It's all the details that make this combat so great!
Uhm, I was literally the first one on here to beat the game, one of the first people in the world to beat
Amon
and I have now finished the game twice, so, yeah I did play it, yeah I do understand japanese. Again, it doesn't matter how many "funny skills" there are, if the follow up attacks you get through affinity are objectively worse than getting an actual player turn, then maybe that system is just not well balanced.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope to god there are skills that allow you to position enemies yourself instead of just waiting for them to bunch up

If it plays more like radiant historia then I might consider looking at it.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds mostly right (other than the combat being faster). What I played from the demo was really good combat wise and I have a feeling the game will be my favourite turn based game when I play it.

That said, it does not scratch that Yakuza itch for me. Yes I know it has everything else but Yakuza to me needs brawling. Dodging, inputing combos, and destroying punks in brutal ways is my favourite part of the series. The new combat does not compare to the original and each time a battle starts I miss just going ham on all the fools who dare start a fight with me.

I am replaying Yakuza 5 right now and hit the Saejima parts. Let me tell you, the feeling of charging punches then grabing enemies while they are in up the air and using them to beat those around you is unparalleled. It is smooth as hell and much more hype than having to wait for turns. It is much more fluid.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Uhm, I was literally the first one on here to beat the game, one of the first people in the world to beat
Amon
and I have now finished the game twice, so, yeah I did play it, yeah I do understand japanese. Again, it doesn't matter how many "funny skills" there are, if the follow up attacks you get through affinity are objectively worse than getting an actual player turn, then maybe that system is just not well balanced.

Again. My point is balance is not necessary for any games. Hey it's an RPG. Balance has already ruined a lot of Blizzard games and Nioh. Hopefully the developers don't waste time to make the game balanced. I feel sleepy when I put hours in DQ11 and P5's combat. Yakuza 7 is different for me. I don't know why I should be convinced to give any other reason.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
He did play the game and was one of the first that finished it in the topic :P He knows what he says and I can see his points. I agree with you that this system is stil better than P5 or DQ11 for example. Way more engaging.
I'm essentially nitpicking this game on the highest level (I also do this in the OT) and I truly do believe that the next one is gonna be the one where the RPG mechanics truly begin to shine, but I do think that at least difficulty selection should have been included. I hate to go back to P5, simply because it is in my opinion not the best ever turn based battle system, but in that game you have a wide selection of difficulties, from safety, which my SO played just to get through the story, to the hardest one, of which I forgot the name, where every single random encounter could be lethal, especially as also all the RGG / Yakuza games before this also offered different difficulties.

In the end it's also somewhat hypocritical of me to sound so negative after playing this game for about 150 hours within a month, but I do think calling it the "best RPG combat in a long time" is focusing on the wrong things for what makes this game so good, which lies in its characters and even the character of the location you spend the most time in, as it feels very different from any other location in any Yakuza so far.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm essentially nitpicking this game on the highest level (I also do this in the OT) and I truly do believe that the next one is gonna be the one where the RPG mechanics truly begin to shine, but I do think that at least difficulty selection should have been included. I hate to go back to P5, simply because it is in my opinion not the best ever turn based battle system, but in that game you have a wide selection of difficulties, from safety, which my SO played just to get through the story, to the hardest one, of which I forgot the name, where every single random encounter could be lethal, especially as also all the RGG / Yakuza games before this also offered different difficulties.

In the end it's also somewhat hypocritical of me to sound so negative after playing this game for about 150 hours within a month, but I do think calling it the "best RPG combat in a long time" is focusing on the wrong things for what makes this game so good, which lies in its characters and even the character of the location you spend the most time in, as it feels very different from any other location in any Yakuza so far.

I think what makes this game so great is everything coming together and just already working just fine. The characters are the best in the series for me, the soundtrack rocks again, the usage of jobs etc. lots of options and lots to do. Also having the "Yeah I am getting better" feeling which RPGs almost always have. As you said, the next entry could be really really great.

I am replaying Yakuza 5 right now and hit the Saejima parts. Let me tell you, the feeling of charging punches then grabing enemies while they are in up the air and using them to beat those around you is unparalleled. It is smooth as hell and much more hype than having to wait for turns. It is much more fluid.

The demo is bad imo and doesn't really show what is possible here. OP Saejima in 5 is a ton of fun, but there are way better things in 7 imo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super hyped BUT I still wish this was marketed as a spinoff and not a mainline entry. Call it Yakuza Gaiden, Tales of Yakuza, etc.... just not Yakuza 7 :(
Why? Its identical to mainline Yakuza games in everything other than the combat. With how certain parts of its plot plays out, relegating it to a side game in the series would be mad especially if they do a Yakuza 8. It'd absolutely follow on from 7's plot.

Oct 27, 2017
The demo is bad imo and doesn't really show what is possible here. OP Saejima in 5 is a ton of fun, but there are way better things in 7 imo.
I very much doubt that the turn based combat will be able to provide something comparable. The thing I liked about brawling is the fact you do things when you want without anybody stopping you if you are skillfull. Punching people then grabbing them and throwing them then charging your punch throwing them into the air only to grab them from the leg and beat everyone around you, all in the same breath is the reason I like it better. Turn based just doesn't scratch that itch no matter how good it is.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I very much doubt that the turn based combat will be able to provide something comparable. The thing I liked about brawling is the fact you do things when you want without anybody stopping you if you are skillfull. Punching people then grabbing them and throwing them then charging your punch throwing them into the air only to grab them from the leg and beat everyone around you, all in the same breath is the reason I like it better. Turn based just doesn't scratch that itch no matter how good it is.

It doesn't. As somebody who like you misses things like timing a good Tiger Drop, nothing in Yakuza 7 comes close. Still a good game though.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not like we have 0/5s combat since a long time so there is that too. Funny/goofy/epic moments are bigger here than past games though. Past heat actions don't come close at all and they are awesome here. The combat is way more engaging than some people might think and as I said the demo is really not a good way to showcase this.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to them to release a harder mode for Western release, the game look super fun, but I've heard it was a little too on the easy side. Any news on this from them ? I know they did add difficulty setting for FOTN for release here and it was super welcome.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I see. How did Yakuza fans react to the gameplay change in Japan? Because to me, this looks like an example of players voting with their wallets.
A slight increase over the previous games doesn't signal what you're thinking at all, considering how sales of anything on PS4 have been falling off a cliff for a while now.

Reception seems pretty positive from what I've been hearing. Two friends of mine who were very upset at the changes ended up loving the game.

john tv

8-4 End Boss
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

I agree with just about everything you've been saying. Balancing a game like this is no easy task and I'm not surprised they fell short this time but if they can manage to make the next one a little more sensible throughout (pacing, chara growth, etc) it could really elevate things. The combat shows a ton of promise, but some aspects just don't work as intended, and fights later on take way too long without ever feeling threatening. Its forgivable for a first entry tho IMO, especially given how good the game is overall. I can't wait to see what these guys do next.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't. As somebody who like you misses things like timing a good Tiger Drop, nothing in Yakuza 7 comes close. Still a good game though.
That's a shame.

I have no doubt it will be a good game. I am going to treat it as a spin off cause that will be the only way I can play it without comparing to the Yakuza I love.

Here is hoping they announce the bext brawler soon.
It's not like we have 0/5s combat since a long time so there is that too. Funny/goofy/epic moments are bigger here than past games though. Past heat actions don't come close at all and they are awesome here. The combat is way more engaging than some people might think and as I said the demo is really not a good way to showcase this.
I am not sure what exactly they need to show to make a difference. The main point is that the combat is different. It does not scratch the itch of brawling no matter what flashy move or heat action you include. It is still turn based.

Not sure what you mean about Y0/6.

May 13, 2019
A slight increase over the previous games doesn't signal what you're thinking at all, considering how sales of anything on PS4 have been falling off a cliff for a while now.

Reception seems pretty positive from what I've been hearing. Two friends of mine who were very upset at the changes ended up loving the game.
Yeah, I realized that. I tend to forget that the PS4 isn't as popular in Japan as in the rest of the world and the Yakuza series is still a rather niche franchise all things considered.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a shame.

I have no doubt it will be a good game. I am going to treat it as a spin off cause that will be the only way I can play it without comparing to the Yakuza I love.

Here is hoping they announce the bext brawler soon.

I am not sure what exactly they need to show to make a difference. The main point is that the combat is different. It does not scratch the itch of brawling no matter what flashy move or heat action you include. It is still turn based.

Not sure what you mean about Y0/6.

I am saying that the Dragon Engines combat sucks. It's not like Yakuza brawl combat has been great those past 3/4 years.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's your opinion.

Most fans I have seen found Judgment to be the best dragon engine combat and one of the best in the series.

Judgment was the first time they managed to tone down that floaty feel the Dragon Engine has, but even Judgment didn't manage to kill it completely. It's a big flaw that engine has that always has been a big complaint with every new DE entry. Give me the old style combat back which has weight behind it. DE is also made simpler. Everyone prefers different things and we can all agree that Yakuza is simply awesome. :p

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to Western release.
I really need to get started on Kiwami. Backlog!

Sakuyahime

Sep 21, 2019
Argentina
I can't wait to play this! After finishing Yakuza 0 I quickly became a huge fan of the series!
But I'll have to get through the other Yakuza games and Judgment before I get to play this one, and I'm a huge jRPG fan too so it might be one of the best games of the year for me! I'm very excited to see people enjoying it too, that's awesome!

Oct 27, 2017
Judgment was the first time they managed to tone down that floaty feel the Dragon Engine has, but even Judgment didn't manage to kill it completely. It's a big flaw that engine has that always has been a big complaint with every new DE entry. Give me the old style combat back which has weight behind it. DE is also made simpler. Everyone prefers different things and we can all agree that Yakuza is simply awesome. :p
The only reason the old combat was good cause they made years of improvements. Yakuza 5 wouldn't be as good as it is if not for 3 and 4. Everything starts somewhere and I feel the Dragon engine games were good. I liked the physics they added to the fights and everything feels much more impactful and "real" compared to the old combat which while great, doesn't have much physics going on. Funny enough, I doubt 7 would be as good as it is right now without the dragon engine. It uses a lot of aspects from the brawling in Dragon Engine but tailored into a turn based game.

Judgment took things back while keeping some of the improvements of dragon engine. It is still not perfect but it shows promise in how things would improve when they make another brawler. I already loved Judgment cause it took a lot of elements from Fist of the North Star and combined them with the dragon engine. It could only get better from here so I can't help but be disapointed if they will go all in on the JRPG combat.

That said, if I had things my way, I would have made Yakuza 7 a spin off or another IP while keeping the brawling in the main series or atleast in another IP that comes every year or so. The combat in 7 shows promise and is well deserving of existing. It is just that I would need more brawling games for me to accept it and love it as a fan of Yakuza.