• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Price of console games at launch dates are pretty expensive in some countries when compared to PC games on Steam/Epic (which have regional pricing).
Is anyone willing to talk about why console games do not have regional pricing in the above scenario and how much of an effect a mere $10 increase has pretty potent punch to the stomach to be a gamer in those countries?

Edit: The price dictates if you have the freedom to be a gamer on those countries or enjoy more than just few games, that $10 price increase will only make people in those countries make less game purchases.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get so many mentions of gamepass. It's a great service but the games I want to play are not on the service?

Also do people who subscribe to Netflix never go to movies or never watch any other thing besides Netflix

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
If there was a game I really wanted day one, I always bought it right away. But when a game will cost 80 EUROS now... I'll just play games from my backlog until the prices goes down. 80 euros man good grief...

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
I'm voting with my wallet, not buying a single game at $89.99 CAD.

I'll wait for a sale, even for Demons souls which I'm dying to play, if I can get it for pre hike I will wait as long as possible, retail or digital. And I hope sales are hit early and hard.

Gamepass subscribers don't buy games at all? This affects everyone.
I wouldn't be surprise if the majority of gamepass owners will not bother buying games at all honestly. Individual games are just getting way too expensive.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
To all those bleating "That's why there's GamePass", not everyone wants to play those games. You can't play Horizon on GamePass, you can't play The Last of Us Pt 2 on GamePass, you can't play Bloodborne, Spider-Man , God of War, Uncharted 4, Death Stranding etc etc on GamePass.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Cyberpunk can be had for £45 on disc, a PS5 game is £70

How does this work? when Sony have no license fees to pay on their own platform it is nothing but greed.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...for the first time ever (at least for as long as I've been buying games myself - I realize they were expensive in the SNES days etc.) - it'll cost me over $100 for a new game....

That seems fucked to me.

It means I won't buy most games brand new anymore, which is sort of a shame.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
5MiGo15.png

Thank fuck for lower prices in general, really good sales, cheap keys, and other good stuff we get on PC.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I don't get so many mentions of gamepass. It's a great service but the games I want to play are not on the service?

Also do people who subscribe to Netflix never go to movies or never watch any other thing besides Netflix

Besides having to wait a year or more for a huge AAA title to be available there is just not for me.
I get the appeal for these subscription services but i'd rather be playing the games i wanna play and not go like "let me try this one since it's available right now for the next few months"

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And even the 70 pounds price for a SF2 back then isn't a fair comparison.
In the mid 90s a game selling more than a million copies was considered a giant hit.
And a cartridge is was more expensive than a disc. Heck, Nintendo had a monopoly on their cartridges and publishers had to preorder them
and store them, which makes them even more expensive

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What don't you get? There will be a lot of huge games on Game Pass that consumers don't have to buy, even on day 1. In theory there could be gamers that only play games released on Game Pass. I know a lot of people who stick only with Netflix and maybe Disney+. They don't buy BR movies or go to theaters. If it's not on one of those services, they don't watch.

In 2021/2022 for example, you want to play a racing sim on PS5? Shell out $70. On Series X? It comes with Game Pass.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm voting with my wallet, not buying a single game at $89.99 CAD.

I'll wait for a sale, even for Demons souls which I'm dying to play, if I can get it for pre hike I will wait as long as possible, retail or digital. And I hope sales are hit early and hard.

Gamepass subscribers don't buy games at all? This affects everyone.
I love that gamepass is always an answer to prices when gamepass is clearly going to go up in price as well because games just got 10 dollars more expensive. Price will creep up if I were anyone that all in for gamepass I'd be getting a few years subs. Price will be up and less deals by 2022.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get why it's so much in the UK. A quick calculation shows that the UK price for these titles is equivalent to just over $90 so why are we paying the equivalent of $14 extra for exactly the same product?!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, people will point to the fact that the digital store fronts have great sales... But they do that because they have to compete with retail. When they know, for a fact, that a certain percentage of their customers are locked into their storefront they're not going to have as much incentive to do the big deals.

Indie games have arguably the best deals of any games and most of those aren't at retail at all. Digital games aren't competing against retail; they're competing against all the other digital games, many of which are going to be heavily discounted at any one time.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
It was bound to happen. It's a lot, but [something something inflation prices].

Also, we need to talk about the "We Need To Talk About..." headlines. Over-dramatic and silly.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
steam was known for insane sales when barely any other stores existed.
there will always be great sales.

And now they're nowhere near as good. Because they've firmly established themselves as the de-facto place to buy games on PC.

When a store becomes not just the de-facto place to buy games for a platform, but literally the only place to buy games, it'll be even worse.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Eh just like the price hikes during the PS360 era, rise of dlc and MTX, gamers are going to bitch and moan but in the end they'll buy it.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For years companies and analysts have talked about dev costs have risen and risen while games cost remained static and this was not sustainable now for the first time in decades the price goes up £10 and all hell breaks loose, no one likes a price hike but it had to happen at some point.

Also UK consumers are use to price crashes weeks after games launch so outside of the launch games that people will buy day 1, weeks later (by Xmas) they will have dropped in price in the sales.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
There's no justification for the price hike other than turning millions into billions. Meanwhile the people purchasing the games have dealt with stagnant wages and a creeping increase to their cost-of-living expenses. And it's not like developers are going to be treated better or paid more either. You don't drive up the price to satisfy your shareholders and then dump all of the extra profit into salaries.

The consumer does not benefit
The developer does not benefit
The executives and the shareholders benefit
I don't agree with this.

The Last of Us Part 2 is twice as big as The Last of Us
God of War 2018 is at least twice as big as God of War 3
Ghosts of Tushima is at least twice as big as Infamous Second Son
Halo Infinte's budget before the delay was $500M

Not all games should command a higher price point, but some games should, and it's totally justified.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
By the way, with these price hikes I'm totally expecting video game sales - especially in Europe - to decrease. And in that case, having someone pay you 120 euros per year, like Microsoft does with Game Pass, is going to be very significant (for them).

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
To all those bleating "That's why there's GamePass", not everyone wants to play those games. You can't play Horizon on GamePass, you can't play The Last of Us Pt 2 on GamePass, you can't play Bloodborne, Spider-Man , God of War, Uncharted 4, Death Stranding etc etc on GamePass.

Yeah, even if you are a subscriber, the price hike is going to hit you eventually when you want a 3rd party title.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Surely Americans have to pay tax on top of the $70, right?

Despite that, I'm pretty relaxed about all this. Sales will probably drop as a result of the higher prices, and publishers are going to have to adjust their pricing models as a result. The prices will surely come down.

We do pay sales tax (if your state has one), but it'd still be cheaper than 70 GBP.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Because it's talked about in the article.

If the games you want to play aren't on Game Pass then buy them, even better, use the MS Rewards points from playing Games Pass games to get them for free.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Cyberpunk can be had for £45 on disc, a PS5 game is £70

How does this work? when Sony have no license fees to pay on their own platform it is nothing but greed.
Well, yeah, that's the thing. The PS5 Digital Edition is bait. It's 100€ cheaper but becomes more expensive than the proper, good version of the console as soon as you buy like 3 games. And if people take the bait, then the PS6 won't have a disc drive option at all, and you'll be stuck paying ludicrous money for your games.

Considering that people have accepted other incredibly anti-consumer and ridiculous moves such as paid online play on the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 which quickly contaminated the rest of the console market, I have no faith in people rejecting the PS5 Digital Edition. Sigh.

Oh, and same about the Xbox Series S, of course. It should have a disc drive.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get why it's so much in the UK. A quick calculation shows that the UK price for these titles is equivalent to just over $90 so why are we paying the equivalent of $14 extra for exactly the same product?!

Tax.

We pay £70 but actually we have a 20% VAT rate so its ~£58 + Tax.

In the US they pay 70 dollars and then pay tax on top.

On the overall topic, I get it, I really do games are becoming more expensive to make but I still dont like it. I will have to be more careful about what games I buy, my first next gen game will be valhalla and I'll be buying the ps4 version for about £45.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
In the UK here. I went from a ps5 preorder to snagging a series X and game pass. £70 is just too much for me as a base price right now, about £50-55 is my upper limit for new games

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What don't you get? There will be a lot of huge games on Game Pass that consumers don't have to buy, even on day 1. In theory there could be gamers that only play games released on Game Pass. I know a lot of people who stick only with Netflix and maybe Disney+. They don't buy BR movies or go to theaters. If it's not on one of those services, they don't watch.

In 2021/2022 for example, you want to play a racing sim on PS5? Shell out $70. On Series X? It comes with Game Pass.
There is plenty of games that gamers buy that are not and will never be on gamepass. It's a fine service but it's not the be all and end all.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love that gamepass is always an answer to prices when gamepass is clearly going to go up in price as well because games just got 10 dollars more expensive. Price will creep up if I were anyone that all in for gamepass I'd be getting a few years subs. Price will be up and less deals by 2022.

And by 2022/2023 imagine how much more valuable GP will be once those 23 studios start putting out games consistently.

Oct 27, 2017
What if you are interested in games that aren't on Gamepass?

@Topic: I usually don't buy Day 1 and I am sure we will see games being sold for 20-30€ a few months after release. Just be patient.

Yeah, I don't buy many games day 1 any more (I think the two AAA ones would have been Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima), but this price change simply means I'll buy even fewer at launch. I don't intend on buying a PS5 for some time anyway, and besides I have a hefty backlog of PS4 games to play through still.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I can see Game Pass increasing to 29.99 per month eventually. And also, I can see PS Now getting better and together with Plus being more expensive as well. But I think PS Now also has to get better.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
This is why I've gone for the disk version, I'm more than happy to wait 2-3 months for games to get down to £30-40 as there is no chance I'm paying £70 a game.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
The problem is not just the price of entry is that those games are still build with the idea of selling deluxe editions, cosmetics and microtransactions...

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Interested in what trade in prices will do too.

I platinumed GoT then got £36 in cash back at CEX. If games stay at £69.99 I can't see them paying back £50+ which would be the rough equivalent

Nov 11, 2017
Software
For years companies and analysts have talked about dev costs have risen and risen while games cost remained static and this was not sustainable now for the first time in decades the price goes up £10 and all hell breaks loose, no one likes a price hike but it had to happen at some point.

Also UK consumers are use to price crashes weeks after games launch so outside of the launch games that people will buy day 1, weeks later (by Xmas) they will have dropped in price in the sales.
So have profits? This industry is making more money than ever lol.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Deals are starting to disappear now, but I really doubt price will increase.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Well, yeah, that's the thing. The PS5 Digital Edition is bait. It's 100€ cheaper but becomes more expensive than the proper, good version of the console as soon as you buy like 3 games. And if people take the bait, then the PS6 won't have a disc drive option at all, and you'll be stuck paying ludicrous money for your games.

Its not just digital games though, physical PS5 titles are still £70 even on online retailers. Though I assume(hope) these will come down after they have taken advantage of early adopters

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
GamePass is going to feast this generation because there's almost no games I'm willing to spend $70 on at launch. I'll just wait for deep sales while playing my backlog.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Charging 80€ for new games is disgusting and i just hope they learn their lesson the hard way.