• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully this is being made because it's what the devs wanted but, man, it really looks like a creative dev team under EA being made into a trend-chaser.

I can't imagine this game will have very much initial luck when the narrative that we got this instead of TF3 takes hold.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow totally unbelievable and disgusting that Respawn wouldn't want to make a direct sequel to the product that forced them to sell their company. Gaming is truly dead fuck EA etc. etc. etc.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Their current GaaS models aren't best for consumers who are into offline SP gaming

You are not the majority of the market thinking this, is what he is saying. And, it is the best business model for multiplayer games right now, which is all anyone is talking about when they mention GaaS.

The most recent CoD is the only GaaS is the only game that has totally removed single player, and that game is one of the best sellers in franchise history. Otherwise, GaaS has not really affected single player games being made...people ran with that EA quote and assumed that was the case, while at the same time, not buying the single player games EA did release with, or without multiplayer any time in recent history.

Oct 31, 2017
Also, people hoping for a "Titanfall 3" are deluding themselves. Games like Titanfall are going the way of the dodo, simply because the market refuses to pay for games. The monetization model of "free-to-play" inherently forces a game's design.

The straight up said it in their promotional material for this "Apex Legendssssss":
Master a growing roster of powerful Legends, each with their own unique personality, strengths and abilities that are easy to pick up but challenging to truly master.

"Easy to pick up but challenging to truly master". You could say the very same thing about the original Titanfall games, but it means something fundamentally different here. This is done to keep players continually invested into their game, so statistically they'll be far more likely to spend money on 'customization', which is essentially virtual trash, but hey. The market-at-large values social vanity more than anything else.

It keeps people invested because they have to learn new variables that are introduced within the game design's ecosystem continually and it makes pick-up-and-play pretty much impossible, especially once you factor in the social coercion component of having your 'friends' involved. Most people express that this is a good thing, but I think it's awful.

Titanfall is just another casualty of the modern mob movement that is a result of the internet + capitalism. This is something that goes beyond just 'video games'.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 1 was a great shooter and a really great base to build from, Respawn took full advantage of that because Titanfall 2 was a such a good package. Fantastic multiplayer with some of the best movement in a shooter combined with a wonderful little single player campaign. I really wish Titanfall 2 was more active online than it currently is because I would be playing it much more often. No Titanfall 3 is a bummer but 2 didn't really light the world on fire sales wise iirc.

That being said I am going to give Apex a try and I'm still very curious to see the Star Wars project.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
This is just a pet theory as someone who really wants Titanfall 3 and not supported by any reporting, but hear me out. Titanfall and Titanfall 2 are excellent games, the latter having a still-underrated campaign, but can you name any characters, or really describe the plot? They're a blur because they weren't really memorable. Apex feels like a soft reboot of the whole thing, even if it's still technically in the same timeline as the previous games. The tone is significantly shifted, and they've developed a slate of character ripe to have their backstories unpacked and revealed, Overwatch style, over the coming months/years. If people gravitate towards the game, if people fall for the characters, boy that sounds like an easy way to do something people have asked Blizzard to do with Overwatch: expensive campaign stuff that can be justified by pointing to the intense interest people have in the characters already.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Utterly disappointing but to be expected considering the way the industry is going

What a waste

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always felt Source was gonna come back to bite Respawn. The engine is a relic. And not a fun relic like Doom or BUILD. Even back in 2004 it was outclassed by CryEngine and id Tech in terms of flexibility. It sucks for open environments. Largely because it is oriented around rooms. Wanna render an island? It's a giant room. The recent CS GO Battle Royale mode tries to hide Source's limitations, but they're still present. There's a reason the island is a pyramid-like mountain with the highest point in the middle. That's literally the only shape that works with the hacky occlusion system. I can only imagine the tricks that were involved with Titanfall 2. But all that trickery couldn't hide tell-tale signs such as the tiny levels with load breaks every time you go around a corner.

Last edited:

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited to try Apex Legends but super bummed if it comes at the expense of Titanfall 3. Titanfall 2 is the only competitive shooter in about a decade I really got into and enjoyed (single player was rad too, but not the draw).

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully this is being made because it's what the devs wanted but, man, it really looks like a creative dev team under EA being made into a trend-chaser.

I can't imagine this game will have very much initial luck when the narrative that we got this instead of TF3 takes hold.

The game that the developers wanted to make was Titanfall. Titanfall 2 was an attempt to push a square peg (Titanfall) into a round hole (what the market desires), in that it leaned away from what made the original Titanfall so good (tight interplay between pilot and titan combat) and into a direction that was an attempt to cater to a broader audience (less titan focus, turning titans into more rigid "classes", virtually no pilot-titan interplay, the addition of a high quality single player campaign) as the first Titanfall clearly didn't have the success it should have.

Apex Legends is the remnants of Titanfall 3, and it's pretty much a full capitulation to the people who looked at Titanfall and failed to see what was so special. It is pretty much a full-on capitulation to the marketplace's desires.

As I said in an earlier post, I guarantee it succeeds far beyond Titanfall and its sequel, simply because its got what the market demands for multiplayer games in 2019: free-to-play, class-based roles, loads of customization, softened edges with a more expressive cartoonish aesthetic which is mostly a fusion between "Western" and "Eastern" design sensibilities in order to appeal to the largest global audience as possible.

Want to catch a lot of fish? You've got to make your net as big and as unassuming as possible.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the TF2 campaign devs go on to make more awesome FPS campaigns.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty damn disappointing. Titanfall 2 was the best FPS of this generation (come fight me bros!) and was only going to be challenged by a sequel. Instead, we get a slightly better (and free) version of Black Ops 4's Blackout mode. Bullcrap.

And I have a right to complain, I bought Tf2 in it's first month of release and have already gotten a victory in AL. I'm not one of those complaining about this while only spending ten dollars on Titanfall2.

Oct 27, 2017
How's Activision any better than EA in that regard? Haven't you seen all the stories about Blizzard the past several months?
Given the choice of working on something that's important to you or a BR spinoff and Star Wars which would you choose? Also, the possibility of an higher role. Infinity Ward is at an important juncture. I'm just speculating on everything of course.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
This is just a pet theory as someone who really wants Titanfall 3 and not supported by any reporting, but hear me out. Titanfall and Titanfall 2 are excellent games, the latter having a still-underrated campaign, but can you name any characters, or really describe the plot? They're a blur because they weren't really memorable. Apex feels like a soft reboot of the whole thing, even if it's still technically in the same timeline as the previous games. The tone is significantly shifted, and they've developed a slate of character ripe to have their backstories unpacked and revealed, Overwatch style, over the coming months/years. If people gravitate towards the game, if people fall for the characters, boy that sounds like an easy way to do something people have asked Blizzard to do with Overwatch: expensive campaign stuff that can be justified by pointing to the intense interest people have in the characters already.

Losing two of the core gameplay concepts seems like an odd choice though.

The titans not being present (for now?) doesn't bother me because after hundreds of hours with TF2 I just felt the pilots vs pilots mode was the most balanced and the most fun.

No wall running, however, is a bummer as I felt like that really was the other thing that really set the series apart from its peers. It sounds like this game at least has solid mobility options but its omission is unfortunate.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I'm sad but don't blame them. TF2 didn't sell enough, full stop. And now BR games are the big thing so I can't imagine they wanted to release tf3 at this point.

Oct 31, 2017
I thought this Pearls Before Swine comic illustrates this quite well and does well to illustrate how this is a "problem" beyond just the video game industry.

Screen%2BShot%2B2019-01-14%2Bat%2B11.39.23%2BAM.png

Tho I'd say a lot of people would argue that "free games make the best games". I fundamentally disagree, but clearly, I'm not the marketplace.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
An expensive campaign for a F2P game seems unlikely. Never mind a separate single player only game.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Titanfall 2 underperformed hard, so I completely get them going in another direction for now. EA bet on putting single player in their shooters and it did nothing to help sales. Them the breaks

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
This hurts. I'm really enjoying Apex Legends but it doesn't play close enough to Titanfall to scratch the same itch. Best case scenario maybe it gets more people interested in the universe and eventually maybe we can get more Titanfall.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. I've enjoyed what I played of Apex but it doesn't really hold a candle to Titanfall 2; and hearing this is it's substitute makes me not wanna support it anymore.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Titanfall 2 underperformed hard, so I completely get them going in another direction for now. EA bet on putting single player in their shooters and it did nothing to help sales. Them the breaks
Titanfall 2 supposedly underperformed but not so badly that EA didn't approve a sequel. The problem seems to be Source. Creaky engine with harsh technical limitations. In the singleplayer FPS world, being "dated" is really bad for PR. It seems Respawn's original plan was to rush TF3 to release to reduce the impact, but it didn't work out.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Given the choice of working on something that's important to you or a BR spinoff and Star Wars which would you choose? Also, the possibility of an higher role. Infinity Ward is at an important juncture. I'm just speculating on everything of course.
wait... EA is the one with Star Wars, not Activision. So the people who went back to Infinity Ward means they're just going to be working on churning out constant CODs? what's so great about that, compared to a new Star Wars game?

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
I certainly didn't buy Titanfall 2 straight away. Unfortunately, it being on Origin seriously devalued it for me. I'm not going to take them to task for cashing in on a fad, but I doubt they'll find much more success than they did with TF2.
I didn't buy Titanfall 2 immediately either, but I was sufficiently impressed when I did get it that I would've bought a sequel on day one. Maybe even get an expensive collectors edition.

This is exactly why you don't kill off a good series just because it doesn't sell gangbusters right from the start, but only Sony seems to understand that nowadays.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Apex Legends streams all day and the game looks so good that I don't even care that they're not making Titanfall 3.

Respawn deserves to do well for once, and BR is probably the way to go in this gaming climate. It doesn't hurt that their game isn't eARLy AcCesS and is actually really good.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
triste-llorando-afligido-oprah-gif-4713319

Dropping what made TitanFall a unique experience for a BR with exaggerated ego heroes who grunt and emote because that's what's in.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was really looking forward to Titanfall 3. I'm still excited for their Star Wars games but this news does sting a little after how much I loved TF2.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I wish I lived in the timeline where people liked mech games, because this timeline is not kind to them, and it is a massive bummer.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, nooooooo. TF2 was one of the best FPS campaigns ever. I hope Apex and the new Star Wars game does well, and they're able to revisit TF3 in the next-gen.

noooooooooooooooooooo

Dec 18, 2017
I didn't think you could untwist a knife from my gut, but goddamn you're proving me wrong. I'll sit on this theory instead. My only lament is that I loved Titanfall 2's campaign's tone because it felt like a cheesy 80s/90s action flick with really good world building. Hopefully that carries (and we eventually get mechs back).

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
I read the first few pages of this thread but stopped when I realized it was the same stuff that people complain about every time.

No, every developer is not stuck on GaaS duty, Respawn literally have a single player Star Wars game set to release this year. How can you say Titanfall is dead because they just had to do a GaaS with microtransactions and loot boxes? Same as BioWare, where apparently Anthem means single player BioWare is dead, despite DA:I releasing in 2014 and DA4 announced just a couple of months ago. Once you make one game Era doesn't like, you're apparently dead to them.

Oct 27, 2017

If you really think thats the reason Titanfall 2 underperformed then you got to the same false conclusion like EA. It failed because of the release date and bad marketing, nothing more, nothing less.