• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez. This sucks but im not surprised whatsoever. Now, im just awaiting news for their Star Wars game to be cancelled as that wouldn't surprise me either.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did wonder about Titanfall 3 and the Star Wars game being in developmemt at the same time. Hopefully the Star Wars game is okay, and hopefully they return to Titanfall at some point.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Apex is pretty fun and I hope they make a lot of money from it but rip titanfall

2sup54.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Makes 100% sense.
Apex gets them into next gen as to not have to make Titanfall 3 cross-platform. Gives them a revenue stream while they work on TF3 for next-gen only.

Mark it down.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
uhh...300-400 is pretty much the upper limit on the biggest AAA studios out there at the moment. There are some games made by more people like Red Dead 2 and Ubisoft games, but those are made by multiple studios.
Bungie has almost 800 employees and Ubisoft Montreal has close 4000 employees. Treyarch has only 250 employees but they only 1 game at a time. 300 for 3 projects is not that much.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Dissapointed, but understandable. The money is in BR, not vertical shooters. There's a reason every AAA shooters went back to boots on the ground.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go out on a limb a suggest that if apex legends bombs titan fall 3 will be very soon out. Anyone want to bet me?

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunate to hear, I adored both Titanfall games. I don't really find Battle Royale games to be fun so I'll probably not stick around with Apex, but I hope it succeeds. Who knows, maybe it'll lead into another thing if it's big enough..maybe.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's not like EAs not known to ruin a devs output. Even if their BR game is great they should have been concentrating on TF3 and the SW games.

Guess for Respawn it is quite TF3 or bust.

Real shame because TF3 really had a market for itself.

ps3ud0 8)

Nov 8, 2017
Hopefully the Star Wars game is okay,

That's sort of a separate team with a lot of veterans from Sony Santa Monica that were laid off several years back. Folks who worked on God of War 3 / Ascension. In that context it makes a lot of sense why Respawn started doing a lightsaber combat game as their Star Wars pitch - they had an influx of people with 3rd person character action experience.

Everything we've heard is that EA and Respawn seemed very pleased with how development was going on that game. Obviously things could change but no reason to assume anything bad thus far. We'll see if it hits its 2019 release window.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Depressing for all of us that loved the TF2 single player

But hey let's put our optimist suits on

Following this and the star wars game later this year. TF3 should be a cert right?

Yeah!

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly didn't buy Titanfall 2 straight away. Unfortunately, it being on Origin seriously devalued it for me. I'm not going to take them to task for cashing in on a fad, but I doubt they'll find much more success than they did with TF2.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Depressing for all of us that loved the TF2 single player

But hey let's put our optimist suits on

Following this and the star wars game later this year. TF3 should be a cert right?

Yeah!
I don't think so, even if they decided to make TF3 it would be a ways off because respawn has to support apex. TF3 as a next gen game is at least 3 or 4 years away.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
GaaS is the best business model for devs and consumers.

Their current GaaS models aren't best for consumers who are into offline SP gaming outside of Sports titles, and looking at Anthem & BFV it's probably not best for consumers, period, but whatever. I'm not saying don't have a GaaS presence, or even several projects in that space, just that's it's unfortunate that GaaS/MP seems to be 95℅ of their business these days when they have control over so many classic SP franchises that are either dead, dying, or dormant.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Their current GaaS models aren't best for consumers who are into offline SP gaming outside of Sports titles, and looking at Anthem & BFV it's probably not best for consumers, period, but whatever. I'm not saying don't have a GaaS presence, or even several projects in that space, just that's it's unfortunate that GaaS/MP seems to be 95℅ of their business these days when they have control over so many classic SP franchises that are either dead, dying, or dormant.
well that's life & reality.

If TF2 sold 20+ million copies, then I'm sure EA would have greenlit TF3

TF2 didn't sell well relatively speaking (to its budget and resources), so this is the result.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case I'm never touching the stupid battle royale game then. Fuck EA.

Oct 31, 2017
The original Titanfall came out when I was in the tail-end of my college degree and was another clear-as-day harbinger telling me to not go into the business as it was clearly moving in a direction with its game-designs-at-large that I detest. The reason I say that is because Titanfall's game design was a light in a pitch black tunnel for me in that it was a game focused on taut, mechanical focused design: a few variables operating within a well designed structure, built around player visual intuition first and foremost with a focus on the mechanical play and 'sense of presence' for the player/user within a virtual/3D space.

I was in classes that were all about 'game design' more or less, and I was so hyped & excited for Titanfall. I was loving it, as it embodied the kind of design ethos that I loved and place the most importance on. I was pretty much the only person in my classes that was even talking about Titanfall. And when I did talk about it, most of the "gamerz" didn't care. It wasn't free. Pilot combat was the most fun. There 'wasn't enough diversity with the titans'. There wasn't enough things to chase. Who cares that the game was fun, it didn't have the systems.

When people weren't excited about Titanfall, I knew that the business was moving in this kind of direction.

100% not surprising that Titanfall died. The mob rejected it at a fundamental level. They didn't get it then, and they never will. The majority of video game players don't value good game design, they value themselves.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
"[We had] things like wall running and double jumping for a long time, we had triple jump for a while, they make combat really hard to beat and comprehend. You can't predict where players come from or you're pushing them to, and things would happen to you more than you would predict and respond against. So it's really fun to do, but it's really bad for combat legibility."

This is a wild quote. for fucks sake

Respawn went straight down the shitter.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Good luck to everyone involved,I hope it makes EA lots of money.Damn,it feels good to say that now I no longer give two fucks what games they publish,I have zero interest in any of them.
I wonder how they will manage to fuck up Jedi Fallen Order if it actually releases(I'd give it a 50/50 chance).

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The original Titanfall came out when I was in the tail-end of my college degree and was another clear-as-day harbinger telling me to not go into the business as it was clearly moving in a direction with its game-designs-at-large that I detest. The reason I say that is because Titanfall's game design was a light in a pitch black tunnel for me in that it was a game focused on taut, mechanical focused design: a few variables operating within a well designed structure, built around player visual intuition first and foremost with a focus on the mechanical play and 'sense of presence' for the player/user within a virtual/3D space.

I was in classes that were all about 'game design' more or less, and I was so hyped & excited for Titanfall. I was loving it, as it embodied the kind of design ethos that I loved and place the most importance on. I was pretty much the only person in my classes that was even talking about Titanfall. And when I did talk about it, most of the "gamerz" didn't care. It wasn't free. Pilot combat was the most fun. There 'wasn't enough diversity with the titans'. There wasn't enough things to chase. Who cares that the game was fun, it didn't have the systems.

When people weren't excited about Titanfall, I knew that the business was moving in this kind of direction.

100% not surprising that Titanfall died. The mob rejected it at a fundamental level. They didn't get it then, and they never will. The majority of video game players don't value good game design, they value themselves.
Great post. Titanfall had absolutely incredible gameplay. It's such a shame.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of overreactions here, as expected.

Respawn will get back to TF3 eventually. I have no problem waiting for it a bit longer.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Makes 100% sense.
Apex gets them into next gen as to not have to make Titanfall 3 cross-platform. Gives them a revenue stream while they work on TF3 for next-gen only.

Mark it down.
And then Titanfall 3 releases in the middle of November with no marketing campaign against the new Battlefield and Call of Duty or something and the general public ignores it/doesn't know it exists.