• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...nd-the-oblivion-mod-terry-pratchett-worked-on

After making the transition from Morrowind to Oblivion, Emma sought to create a companion for herself. This resulted in the creation of Vilja, a Nord alchemist designed to keep Emma company as she traversed the world of Oblivion. While Emma originally created Vilja for personal use, even voicing the character herself, she eventually released her to the public with the help of fellow modder Charles "CD" Cooley. Vilja received a lot of admiration from avid players, but a particularly intriguing email titled "Praise for Vilja" came a few months after Vilja 1.0 launched.

"The first letter from Terry arrived in March 2010, only three months after the original release," Emma told Eurogamer. In this message, Pratchett mentioned how enamoured he had become with Vilja, specifically mentioning his appreciation for the way in which she would acknowledge small gifts such as strawberries. "He also praised the modding community as a whole, mentioning how impressed he was by the effort put into mods, and how much he enjoyed using them."

Emma didn't know if this was the real Terry Pratchett, but she responded anyway and the two struck up a regular correspondence. Pratchett gradually started to make small suggestions of his own based on his experience with Vilja. "He described how he had been exploring goblin caves with Vilja, and how he wished that he could study the goblins without having to kill them," Emma said. "The day after, I made him a 'goblin peace amulet' to make the goblins non-hostile and allow him to explore their dungeons without having to kill anyone." As it turns out, the reason Pratchett was fascinated with goblins in the first place was due to research he was conducting for his 2011 novel, Snuff.

If you don't know about Sir Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld series, let me assure you that you are missing out. GNU Pterry.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
This is a great story. I hadn't heard about this before, but this seems like the most complete write up on the topic. It's always touching to see how gaming brings people together in unexpected ways.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
That was an amazing read! I'm always a sucker for great stories about people striking up a friendship and driving each others creative juices.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
bump. This needs to be read, what an amazing story. And this is why the modding community is so important and what game's like Skyrim/Fallout will have over other WRPG's, the sense of community and stories that are fostered from them are just irreplaceable.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
What a lovely story - thanks for linking it. I remember my first ever pay cheque, was about £40 for my holiday McDonald's job back around 1993...i went straight out and bought all the disc world books (about 8 back then?). Still on my shelf today.

Oct 31, 2017
Excellent article. I particularly liked that he was basically a virtual anthropologist (goblinologist?), studying the ways of goblins in Oblivion.

Incidentally, Pratchett's is brilliant and you should read him. I skipped him for years not being in to fantasy, which was silly because he was a great writer and the books are to fantasy what the Hitchhiker's Guide is to scifi

Last edited:

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This was a great read. It's still such a shame that Pratchett passed away so early. He is the reason I read so much.

Oh, also I rememeber how much I loved Discoworld Noir, an adventure game that Pratchett also helped making. And now I desperately need to replay it.
off to Abandonware
Probably not the best move to just openly talk about pirating things on here!

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Great, wholesome story. I love how this medium can be so helpful for people.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone should give this one a click, well worth the read. Heartwarming stuff indeed.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I only have love and respect for Mr. Pratchett. Thank you for all the laughs and thoughts your books have given me over the years.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
What a nice story, and here I am 6,000 miles away from my Pratchett books.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
By far my favorite author.

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
GNU Pterry