• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Posted by Leonine

On PlayStation 5, WRC 9's got a helping hand with the DualSense, Sony's handsomely featured new controller, and it's a bit of a game-changer. Force feedback has often played a big part in driving games - my first experience of a DualShock, like many others I'm sure, came when rippling across the kerbs of the original Gran Turismo - so it's only right that the best DualSense workout I've experienced outside of Astro's Playroom comes here. There's a nuance and added fidelity here that, if explored a bit more fully, could be as transformative for driving games as the shift from 30fps to 60fps.

That's because so much of driving isn't just about how far you press the loud pedal and how quickly you spin the steering wheel - it's about feel, that seat of the pants sensation that can be such a struggle for traditional control methods to replicate. I'm not suggesting WRC 9 gets all the way there, or that it's an effective replacement for an expensive direct drive wheel and loadcell brake, but it makes some convincing moves in the right direction.

The build-up of tire resistance is a more tangible thing - on tarmac the breaking of traction feels suitably rubbery given the purity of the contact there, while on gravel you'll feel that looser surface sliding under your fingertips too - in a pretty convincing approximation of the feeling you'd typically get through your bottom in a real car. The adaptive triggers also play their part - snatch a brake and you'll feel the wheel locking under your finger, and there's that extra resistance on the left trigger than there is on the right in deference to the feel of a real brake and throttle pedal. There's not quite the amount of resistance I'd really like to see, but it's able to communicate a fair bit more than your standard controller about what the car's doing.

That brake pedal can also seize up after you've punished the car a bit too much, as can the throttle - if your car's shagged, you'll feel it in the rumbles and groans of your pad as you nurse it home - and before you reached that point there are some enjoyable subtle signs of mechanical strain pushed through the DualSense. There are those exhaust pops and turbo flutters, but what I love are the little recurring knocks that subtly suggest something could go wrong if pushed too much further. Great driving games are about enabling a dialogue between the player and the car, and with the DualSense I don't think the vocabulary has ever been so broad.
www.eurogamer.net

The PlayStation 5's DualSense is a revelation for racing games

It's sort of odd how next gen has arrived without that launch staple, the flagship first-party driving game (though Dir…

Oct 25, 2017
Is Force Feedback really that big of a deal? Maybe it's because of being let down by "HD Rumble" on Switch that I'm a little skeptical but it seems like I just have to try it myself.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is Force Feedback really that big of a deal? Maybe it's because of being let down by "HD Rumble" on Switch that I'm a little skeptical but it seems like I just have to try it myself.

I think what I'm looking forward to the most on Gaming side this week are the impressions on the DualSense from people. (Outside of trying it myself).

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Oh my.

The adaptive triggers also play their part - snatch a brake and you'll feel the wheel locking under your finger, and there's that extra resistance on the left trigger than there is on the right in deference to the feel of a real brake and throttle pedal.

Hopefully developers keep it up.

where is Ridge Racer?This is the real question.
It was rumoured for the Switch for a long time but it seems to have vanished.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This is better than Switch rumble for a variety of reasons, but one big one, is simply surface area. The joy cons are tiny. Also it's the tension in the triggers that are probably more important in racing games. More easily replicating the feel of a wheel.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Playing DiRT 5 really was transformative for me. It was amazing, and save for spending hundreds on a wheel, is the next best thing. Game changing IMO

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
How about a futuristic racer that takes full advantage of the DualSense Sony? A new WipEout would go down well right about now. Or even better... Rollcage!

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
I mean, even Xbox controller's trigger vibration is really helpful in racing games so I have no doubt that Dualsense will be fantastic for racing games.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
If only Driveclub 2 was a thing...
AridFlawlessLemming-max-14mb.gif

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Racing games, specially more sim focused ones, are one of my favorite genres. I'm very hyped to be able to play GT7 and not caring about not having a Thrustmaster wheel anymore.

Sure, I won't have FFB, but the resistive triggers and haptics should prove more than enough to enjoy the game, be more competitive and not having to spend big on a massive contraption, such as a good wheel.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there's a chance Wreckfest gets a PS5 patch/version. I think that game would really benefit from the Dualsense changes.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I'm excited for the next Ridge Racer

Riiiiidge Raaaaaacer

:(((((((((

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never thought the star of this next gen would be the PS5 controller but it does appear to be so. I'm looking forward to get my hands on it and I hope it will get great support throughout this generation.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

It always was, i will never forget playing REZ on the PS2 for the first time, without rumble it is only half the experience.

can´t understand people turning off rumble features, it elevates many games and i am glad that Sony pushed this forward with the Dual Sense after many years of rumble stagnation.

and Switchs "HD rumble" is just bad, too weak and too loud, it is like a really cheap sextoy.

Do we have any review or impressions on Dirt 5's implementation of the DualSense?

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
It always was, i will never forget playing REZ on the PS2 for the first time, without rumble it is only half the experience.

can´t understand people turning off rumble features, it elevates many games and i am glad that Sony pushed this forward with the Dual Sense after many years of rumble stagnation.

and Switchs "HD rumble" is just bad, too weak and too loud, it is like a really cheap sextoy.

Thanks!

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great! Looking forward to playing GT7 with this.

Has anyone heard about the experience in shooters, yet? Like, can one feel the pressure point and kickback of a weapon? That would be awesome!

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already sad about having to wait a week until I get my PS5 and people are piling on with the DriveClub comments? People are really cruel sometimes.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Good rumble implementation gives you so much information when driving, it's great.
I still remember when it really started to click for me around the GT4 time on PS2. You could feel if you were losing speed in a fast corner, you could feel if the car was slipping and you had to correct, over and understeer, all of it.

Force feedback just makes everything even better, and opens the door for more possibilities.
- Brake feedback and tightening as you apply more force.
- Different force profiles for every car's acceleration curve.
- The changes in responsiveness of the pedals due to tire wear.
- Reflect motor behaviour.

Still, when it comes to force feedback, the wheels remain the most intuitive and refined setups of all, but for the many folks just using a controller this is great news.
Can't wait for GT7.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Really excited to try this out at my friend's place. Let's see if MS decides to release something similar in the future if it catches on. Wouldn't mind that at all. Glad Sony decided to innovate here, although the Series X controller also feels fantastic to me.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Sounds great. Can't wait for Driveclub 2

:(
Personally I'm excited for the next Motorstorm

:(((
Also looking forward to the new Midnight Club!

:(((((
I guess we'll just have to make do with Wipeout

:(((((
Personally I'm excited for the next Ridge Racer

Riiiiidge Raaaaaacer

:(((((((((
Amateurs, give me destruction derby!

:)))))
WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?!?

giphy.gif

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sounds like Sony hit the jackpot with this controller, someone deserves a bonus.

Transformative is transforming how i feel about the word transform though, please use something else for a change.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I generally don't think about it that much in most games but I find it almost essential for racing games. This looks to be a great next step for the genre if you play on controller.