• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Off-Topic System Warring
I just always keep feeling like Nintendo ushered in the awful future that Xbox One got the massive backlash for.

Switch has introduced:

1. Much more expensive games.

2. Mandatory online downloads that require an internet connection along with proper storage that for some games the default storage amount would not be enough.

3. A fearful digital only future even with physical carts. How long will these extra game downloads be available for? One day will I not be able to download the game content that's not on the cartridge for a game and my cart becomes whatever it is as a coaster equivalent? A coaster for ants? No ability to trade games properly or sell them at a normal price since half the content is gone (ala this RE set).

3. Limited options on backing up saves and controlling your content. With paid online saves being the only option.

4. A totally seperate online community via app only. Totally divorcing communication from in game on console to seperate and segregated. All this on an online service that is simply not up to 2019 going on 2020 standards.

5. A storefront that is being avalanched with questionable quality content such as mobile game shovelware or even decent mobile games from 5-6 years ago at 3x the price it even launched at years ago.

6. Barebones functionality all around with YouTube taking almost 2 years to arrive. The absence of giants like Netflix and Amazon Video is simply baffling. While the limited ability to do anything overall is easily felt.

So not only did the Switch bring parts of that draconian system Microsoft wanted into gaming. But they also did it by offering overall awful system level services like online and media.

2017 was an amazing year with the Switch. Lots of potential and places it could go. But 2018 on has been abysmal for me and it is all those things I listed that have added up and gotten worse that just makes me sit around and wait for the next real good Nintendo game.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom sales are a dime a dozen, so I have no problem in waiting.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Switch fan's thirst, time to rake up them coins.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad a journalist is putting some pressure on them. IIRC, Revelations for 3DS was initially going to be a $50 game because of the cart size, but Capcom caved at the last minute before release and charged a standard price. Hopefully if enough people talk about this, they'll realize they need to make an adjustment.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom jacked up the price for the same reason Nintendo charges extortionate amounts for their own ports - because they know people will buy it. The difference is that, if you're willing to wait, these Resi titles will actually drop in price.
Ace Attorney Trilogy will also be the same price across all platforms including Switch.

Deleted member 19274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the youtube video posted earlier in the thread nails it.

They raised the price of the RE origins collection to make up the cart cost and kept parity for the digital price for all the RE ports. It wouldn't make sense to have the digital version of RE4 priced lower than REmake or 0.

Some of Capcoms releases have been real annoying

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Not expecting anything to come out of it but really glad Eurogamer brought this up. Other than voting with our wallet, we need media to be covering this shit. Good job Eurogamer!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the youtube video posted earlier in the thread nails it.

They raised the price of the RE origins collection to make up the cart cost and kept parity for the digital price

Yeah, bloody Nintendo charging $20 more for cartridges than they did in 2017 when Capcom released Resident Evil Revelations.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Capcom sales are a dime a dozen, so I have no problem in waiting.
That's not a solution to this problem though. They are cheaper on other platforms AND go on sale on those platforms too. We shouldn't have to rely on potential sales to get these games for a fair price.
I checked the eShop pages and they didn't upload a SINGLE screenshot of the games on there, but for some reason they think it's ok to ask for 30 Euros (34$ btw) for these.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo do this with their own Wii U ports (admittedly with extra content) so why shouldn't third parties get in on the fun?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just always keep feeling like Nintendo ushered in the awful future that Xbox One got the massive backlash for.

Switch has introduced:

1. Much more expensive games.

2. Mandatory online downloads that require an internet connection along with proper storage that for some games the default storage amount would not be enough.

3. A fearful digital only future even with physical carts. How long will these extra game downloads be available for? One day will I not be able to download the game content that's not on the cartridge for a game and my cart become whatever it is as a coaster equivalent? A coaster for ants? No ability to trade games properly or sell them at a normal price since half the content is gone (ala this RE set).

3. Limited options on backing up saves and controlling your content.

4. A totally seperate online community via app only. Totally divorcing communication from in game on console to seperate and segregated. All this on an online service that is simply not up to 2019 going on 2020 standards.

5. A storefront that is being avalanched with questionable quality content such as mobile game shovelware or even decent mobile games from 5-6 years ago at 3x the price it even launched at years ago.

6. Barebones functionality all around with YouTube taking almost 2 years to arrive. The absence of giants like Netflix and Amazon Video is simply baffling. While the limited ability to do anything overall is easily felt.

So not only did the Switch enter parts of that draconian system Microsoft wanted to bring. But they also did it by offering overall awful system level services like online and media.

2017 was an amazing year with the Switch. But 2018 on has been abysmal for me and it is all those things I listed that have added up and gotten worse that just makes me sit around and wait for the next real good Nintendo game.
Huh. Well that's a take on this.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Lol. Capcom just trying their luck with these prices. I bet they're all on sale in a flash. I don't tend to complain often about old ports prices, especially for brilliant games, but this is blatant. Nevertheless, glad Resi 4 is in the Switch.

Innuendo84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a "remaster" though right? Nintendo were selling Gamecube remasters for $60 last gen (earlier this gen?).
It's the same game that is available on other consoles for couple of years and it's more expensive. You are paying more for the same product. You can't defend this.

PS maybe 0 since it has the dlc costumes.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Do we know if RE4 will have motion controls?
That's the only reason that could push me to buy this version. Not at full price though.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For $20 I was gonna buy RE4 at launch for the sixth time. But at $30 they can shove it. They're just taking advantage of the user base, especially considering other eShop only games from Capcom launched at the same price as other systems.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, I genuinely read the thread title and thought "Well, it's a bit pricier than I would have liked, but yeah I'll pay £30 for these three games"

...Thirty fucking pounds EACH!?

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the same game that is available on other consoles for couple of years and it's more expensive. You are paying more for the same product. You can't defend this.

PS maybe 0 since it has the dlc costumes.

I'm almost certain that Capcom did the same shit when they ported Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica to Gamecube. Though I can't remember if they were $10, $20 or $30 more than their Dreamcast and PlayStation counterparts.

For whatever reason Capcom thinks they can charge Nintendo platform owners more. It may be because we make more money and are better looking than other platform owners, but it's still not a good practice.

Oct 31, 2017
Hah, I genuinely read the thread title and thought "Well, it's a bit pricier than I would have liked, but yeah I'll pay £30 for these three games"

...Thirty fucking pounds EACH!?

10461.jpg

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, no. At some point you draw the line in the sand or these practices will continue. These games were put out on Ps4/Xb1/PC a couple years ago at $19.99. Whatever your reasons are I'm not paying $29.99 for them on Switch and I'd love to own then for portable play. Wake me up when they're on sale....

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks but they'll all be on sale for $20 or less within a year, so I can wait.

This is the thing that gives me a *little* encouragement; Capcom do seem a bit more on-board than some with sales on Nintendo content (Revelations is on sale currently, IIRC). It might, of course, be that the sale price is basically the other platform's RRP, but it's something!

Deleted member 19274

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, bloody Nintendo charging $20 more for cartridges than they did in 2017 when Capcom released Resident Evil Revelations.
Good point. For some reason I thought the revelations games were the same. Maybe someone at Capcom found a calculator and added up all the sweet profit they would have made if they sold for 10 extra dollars.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
It's not enough that this has taken over 2 years to be ported and now the price takes a hike.

I really hope it suffers poor sales at this price. Nobody should be supporting this laziness and sheer greed.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom jacked up the price for the same reason Nintendo charges extortionate amounts for their own ports - because they know people will buy it. The difference is that, if you're willing to wait, these Resi titles will actually drop in price.

You're still not getting it. If they're doing this because they know people will buy it, because Nintendo does the same with their ports (which is up for debate, the only Nintendo port which launched for more on Switch than it did on another platforms was DKTF which had more content) then why exactly are they only doing it for these three games?

Why aren't they doing this with Dragon's Dogma? Or Ace Attorney? Or Resident Evil Revelations? Or literally any of their other ports?

There's something very odd going on with these three games specifically, even more than just the price, and it can't be hand waved away by saying "well Nintendo does it!". That's nonsense.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I was reeeeeally looking forward to portable RE4, but nah man. I'll make a teeny little statement in my own way. Props to Eurogamer for calling out this bullshit.

Oct 27, 2017
I would have bought RE4 again.
Probably REmake, too.
0 never had a chance, I already bought it on Steam and Xbox One.
If they had done a bundle of all3 for a decent price then I could have been convinced to buy 0 again.

Now I will buy none of them until they are on a deep, deep sale. I was expecting a bit of a Switch tax on the individual games but a decent bundle price.

Games aren't out until May. Plenty of time to fix this, Capcom.

You're still not getting it. If they're doing this because they know people will buy it, because Nintendo does the same with their ports (which is up for debate, the only Nintendo port which launched for more on Switch than it did on another platforms was DKTF which had more content) then why exactly are they only doing it for these three games?

Why aren't they doing this with Dragon's Dogma? Or Ace Attorney? Or Resident Evil Revelations? Or literally any of their other ports?

There's something very odd going on with these three games specifically, even more than just the price, and it can't be hand waved away by saying "well Nintendo does it!". That's nonsense.
Right. Even if you're someone that believes deep down that Capcom is doing this because Nintendo has their own pricing policy for Wii U ports, you still have one major point of contention to resolve: why now? They could have started this with the RE:R collection on through now, and yet we have pricing parity for their two big Switch ports coming out just a month before these do.