• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 8, 2018
And If those contacts weren't in place, then 🤷‍♂️
Well if those contracts weren't in place then they probably screwed up by not having them, tbh, and that's the reason why it was such a mess. I don't think it's good practice to do a big rollout like this without contracts, but I'm also not an international corporation so idk.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
I said this in another topic, but broadly backtracking on PS4 and supporting it for longer should be seen as a consumer friendly concession... In any other software/hardware space I've ever seen, legacy support is valued, and companies don't do enough of it. There is far too much planned obsolescence. Look at Android phones for a prime example. How is this anything but a huge win for anyone already in the ps4 ecosystem, now you don't have to upgrade right away!
I agree with that, but it's backtracking on what they previously said (they believed in generational leaps).

I don't mind TBH, I don't think cross gen games are bad at all, but I wish Sony got their act together with their messaging.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I agree that Sony's handling of the situation has been bad, especially all that generation bullshit which was used as ammo in the fanboy wars, this article really reads like a 13 year-old fanboy thinking his favourite videogame company could do no wrong and suddenly got a reality slap. Please wake up, mate: big corporations are not your friend. Stop taking this shit personally.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Its terrible to me because this article could of been made in 2013 and the same shit wouldn't matter after launch and years after the fact. Its stupid to make a big deal about something that truly doesn't matter. Maybe this is the fanboy way of things, but I really give two fucks about 3 exact games coming to the PS4. I'll make that a problem when multiple games are coming out for the PS4 but right now? Nah...every publisher in year 1 & 2 of the next gen made 2 versions of their games coming out in the launch season.

I will not understand the emotion when its childish af, sorry. I'm not going to pretend that 2 versions of battlefield and assassin creed didn't come out for both the PS3 and PS4.

Look, what Sony did isn't suddenly going to doom the PS5. Nobody is saying that, but what it does do is start to erode the good will of the fans by not being straight forward to the point where people felt mislead. Erode enough and you lose people to find maybe an alternative. We've seen plenty of times where eroding good will has shifted market share. People would have been less upset had Sony just straight up front had said Spider-Man and Horizon were also coming to PS4 when they were announced.

2nd, What I'm trying to understand is, was pre-orders a one day thing or is this system not coming out in November? Last i checked, I don't remember pre-orders just magically disappearing because you didn't get it day one. Sony never said pre-orders END on September 17th, 2020 so I find it absurd to be mad about not getting one NOW. On top of that, how exactly is it there fault that a third party broke the news before they did? All of a sudden its the fault of the manufacturer that a known insider had something to say? We are really going to hold them to that considering that is simply how all of us consume gaming news, through an insider? Come on now.

It's not about day one. It's about what Sony said would happen with preorders and then what actually happened with preorders. It didn't line up. Microsoft didn't screw this up so far with regards to preorders so why are we trying to give Sony a pass on how they handled preorders for their system especially after what they explicitly said about preorders weeks ago? People aren't simply upset that it sold out and that they didn't get one. People are upset that they were told one thing and then something else happened with them.

May 17, 2018
I agree with the article, the showcase was a home-run and they needed to be better prepared for all that followed it. I don't think it's a change in strategy or mentality, and I don't think it's "arrogant Sony".

I hope they learn from this a bit and are able to do better next time. Console and games look ace, though!

Yeah, the fact that the writer even included that saying kinda tells me where he's coming really from.

I don't see anything even remotely along the lines of "get a second job" or anything. This is simply a shift is focus (and pro-consumer if you ask a bunch of people on here!).

They need to take Jim off the mic, though. Even before he was on top, his messaging was flimsy at best.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Geoff Keighley tweeted during the conference that pre-orders would go up immediately after. Sony tweeted they wouldn't start until today, *after that*.

I'm not sure what else to point out. If Sony have no control over it, why the hell do MS seem to have control over it, and why the hell did they make guarantees that they *couldn't deliver*?

I'm not saying they are mostly to blame, to be as clear as possible. I just don't see how you can claim they are blameless, when they made assurances about something which *apparently* they have no control over. They shouldn't have.

"Geoff Keighley tweeted during the conference that pre-orders would go up immediately after. Sony tweeted they wouldn't start until today, *after that*."

Well that isnt true. He tweeted after the conference that pre-orders should start for some retailers tomorrow (9/17). Then after that tweeted out that oh there might be some today.

We also don't know if Microsoft has control over it. Let's see how their pre-orders go and again, Sony definitely could have handled the pre-orders way better and deserve blame for that but i just wouldn't call it a broken promise as much as retailers fucking up what were already shitty plans.

Jun 13, 2020
I think there are worse things to get angry about than "What they're supporting ps4? They told us they wouldn't". I think that right now Sony is very much up its own ass. The insane pricing for their games, intentionally misleading people about FFXVI's exclusivity, the baffling lack of information in the presentation. None of these things will actually hurt them sales wise, but they come off as cocky and seem intentioned to get away with some anti-consumer bullshit. 80€ for a game should not be acceptable, but ps5 and its games will sell regardless.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I'm actually fine with ds4 not compatible with ds5 as long as dev take full advantage of DS.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, it's the worst messaging of this gen and it's intentional to make PS5 more appealing. They could just be upfront about it and no one would bat an eye but they went ahead with "we believe in generations" bs while hiding the fact that two of their big games are releasing on PS4 too.
The funny thing is, Microsoft played right into the "believe in generations" campaign by showing off their flagship title in such a poor state that it only worked to illustrate the supposed weaknesses of crossgen support, completely validating the cock and bull Sony was spouting all summer. Sony couldn't have planned it any better.

I'm still excited about next gen, but yeah...Jim Ryan and Sony PR are devious as fuck.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
100% on point. Jim Ryan's communication has always been horrible and full of blunders, I guess we shouldn't be surprised to see that in PS5's pre-release marketing and PR...

(I already bought my PS5 but definitely feel deflated in a number of ways.)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused why people aren't using Sack Boy as the example. I saw people here using MM as the example, and Eurogamer did too.

Your example makes *perfect sense*.

ah, gotcha.

I don't give a shit if I can't use a DualShock 4 with Miles Morales. Or Demon's Souls. I guess it'd be nice to support it in case my DualSense broke or something but, yeah, I'll have one and that's great.

But Sackboy' a disappointment. Feels like it's designed to play multiplayer. My partner is gonna be desperate to play it with me for sure. But another £60 for a second controller on top of the game (and the damn console!) hurts when *looks around* I've got ALL OF THESE DualShocks that can play Sackboy on PS5 if it's the PS4 version through BC but, arbitrarily, not if it's the PS5 version.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the overall point. Sony needs to tighten up its PR. Simple messaging was a big reason for PS4's success. And actually, "we believe in generations" is one of the few examples of simple messaging that was working for Sony. Until it wasn't.

On the specific subject of the DS4 and Miles Morales: what's the use case where you wouldn't be able to play this game with the DualSense? You still get one with every system and it's a single player game. Why would the Dual Shock need to work with Miles Morales?

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're missing my point. Sackboy is the example of a PS5 launch title that is co-op multiplayer (the trailer we've seen is entirely co-op, like Mario 3D World) that would require buying another DualSense to play. It was an example to answer your question about why anyone would need another controller!

It was also announced last night as coming to PS4 too so there's no reason a DualShock 4 shouldn't work with it. But it won't because PS5 games can't use DualShocks. Even though the system supports them for BC if, for example, you were to play the PS4 version of Sackboy.

Abso-fuckin-loutely on the money here.

Any cross-gen game should allow cross-gen controller support, full-stop.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
For the hundredth time, the problem is not that Sony is continuing to support the PlayStation 4.
It's that Sony's lauded clear-cut messaging was completely undermined last night.

Instead of being upfront about supporting PS4 with more PlayStation Studios titles like Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Horizon: Forbidden Dawn, and Sackboy: A Big Adventure, since June, they led the public to believe these games were PS5 only.

They didn't have the stones to announce these games as cross-gen because they spent months on a PR campaign extolling the benefits of moving on immediately to a new platform and utilizing all of it's strengths straight away.

Yup.

Seems like MS took all the hate while Sony was waiting in the background to just be the same.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The masses don't care. The console will sell out and no one will bring up the day one pre-order fiasco by next year.

I'm not trying to down play Sony's mistakes, the bait and switch with their stance on next gen only games has put me off a bit, but in the grand scheme of a generation this is small potatoes.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
honestly i feel like somebody pressed the wrong button and it got out of wack. trust me i hate this shit too, i just dont think we will know what happened right now without more information on who to blame. All i do know is preordering shit is a fucking shit show regardless of it being a shadow drop or a dated thing. Just wait till XSX drops, we already have tons of people pissed at nvidia as well with their release. This doesnt get fixed until companies fix how people pre-order and this just gets added to the pile.

I think having the preorders go live in less than 24 hours helped contribute to someone pressing the wrong button though. They put the window too close to the announcement and they didn't clearly make an announcement about preorders too. I believe those two factors caused the confusion and that's why someone possibly pressed the wrong button too early or it wasn't communicated clearly enough and retailers decided to just go ahead because they thought it was okay. The whole handling was botched and it's on Sony to manage and coordinate with their retail partners on this. Sony's screw up isn't the same as NVIDIA's screw up. NVIDIA's screw up is more related to inventory and not about the messaging with how and when preorders would take place. They got that right at least. Sony didn't.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because none of their complaints will mean anything. The real kick to the balls is the increased game prices...that was a dick move.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Ryan's Sony has been a shitshow compared to Shawn Layden's and particularly Jack Tretton and Andrew House's Playstation runs. Messaging has been woefully chaotic even before COVID, design decisions are just plain worse (most recent promo images displaying a dimly lit PS5 making it appear almost grey to hide its hideous contrast), and he really doesn't seem to have his finger on the pulse at all. Last Of Us Part 2's release was like some sort of weird game of hokey cokey.

Nothing will be learned and PS5 will sell out and do gangbusters, but he's certainly riding high on previous generations success stories.

I mean Jack Tretton said shit like this when the 360 was murdering the PS3 in sales and Wii was an instant success. Dude rose to power during PS3s massive brand disaster of 2006.

www.engadget.com

Jack Tretton calls PS3 "steak", Wii "lollipop", 360 "unreliable cook"

We're going to put Jack's quote front and center because it's so hilarious, then we'll talk about the interview with Gamepro. "I think the PS3 is the Surf 'n Turf, the PS2 is your favorite burger restaurant... [Wii] is a lollipop, and I'm too old for lollipops. And the [Xbox 360] I get sick from...

I will say he significantly course corrected and showed a lot of humility that lead Sony to a very successful PS4 launch, but he's kind of peak "arrogant Sony" as well.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt this will make much of a difference.

I'm still pretty disappointed with the preorder business and neither my brother nor myself getting one.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Bless Eurogamer for braving this particular storm. Given the hype for the PS5 I can't imagine an article like this is going to be well-received online. But they're 100% right.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Well if those contracts weren't in place then they probably screwed up, tbh, and that's the reason why it was such a mess. I don't think it's good practice to do a big rollout like this without contracts, but I'm also not an international corporation so idk.

I think retailers have had a very short lead time
On this. I suspect they won't even know their allocations yet , so I'm not sure how they have sold out in so many places

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Yup.

Seems like MS took all the hate while Sony was waiting in the background to just be the same.

I think hate goes around, people love to hate. I don't see people giving Sony a pass over this silly thing.

Also, with all respect to Microsoft, Sony did show an amazing demo of Horizon II while Microsoft showed an underwhelming demo of Halo Infinite. So they got some of the (equally silly) hate for that.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
This whole cross gen is a fiasco of epic proportions.

Releasing Spider Man Miles Morales on PS4 makes sense, the game will be available this year, but compromising something like Horizon, which is who knows how many months away with old hardware is something really hard to fit in the "we believe in generations" narrative.

I miss Andrew House.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I don't see why cross-gen games are so bad sure things aren't as good as they should be but holy fucking shit SPECIALLY NOW in this pandemic with the economy in shambles globally a lot of people can't upgrade for next gen consoles right now but all i see is a bunch of people crying about how "my little precious game isn't gorgeous anymore because PS4 plebs are ruining my fun".

Messaging wise, yeah, Sony is fucking awful right now. This whole pre-order thing is quite bad, i snagged mine because i camped on Amazon but i had no idea whatsoever when and where pre-orders would show up. Gotta do better because MS is right there with a really good offering.
Ya to be honest it's really only something core gamers care about, I'm not running into too many casual gamers I know that even know what cross gen is. It's still gonna fly off the shelves and that's what's hard about it, the ppl that care about this (myself Included) represent the minority, and are u willing to vote with your wallet? They won't care until their bottom dollar is effected, it's continuously happened this way in the industry for as long as I can recall. Market leader takes more risks cause they can afford to, while the opposer tends to make seemingly all the "right" moves to get in good with the public again.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Pretty much agreed with the article word for word. Sony fucked up in so many ways last night that it was almost funny.

I had the chance to pre-order a PS5 from Amazon this morning, in the 20 minutes or so that it was available. In the end I chose not to bother. Those hours in the aftermath of yesterday's show really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Plus Demon's Souls is £70. Getthefuckouttahere if you think I'm spending that much on a game.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
But Sackboy' a disappointment. Feels like it's designed to play multiplayer. My partner is gonna be desperate to play it with me for sure. But another £60 for a second controller on top of the game (and the damn console!) hurts when *looks around* I've got ALL OF THESE DualShocks that can play Sackboy on PS5 if it's the PS4 version through BC but, arbitrarily, not if it's the PS5 version.

I really wouldn't be surprised if it ends up just working to be honest. I mean, you make a great argument here -- it really doesn't make much sense. I bet the DualShock 4 will just work on PS5 for most games and features to be honest. They might just add in a warning saying some functionality might not work as intended or whatever. But I really wouldn't be surprised if, come launch day, you can just use a DualShock 4.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
They said it isn't. Of course, they may be lying. But you know what, maybe they are lying about the price too! Maybe Microsoft is lying about Halo Infinite ever coming out! Maybe everything is a lie - and PS5 and Series X don't exist at all! Everything is possible now!
This is bizarre. Sony has been misleading about the platforms a game is on as recent as yesterday with FF16.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Look, I just hope the games are incredible...

... If Horizon or Halo or whatever is great on on a PS5 and Xbox Series X respectively, nobody will care they have cross-gen versions.

If they feel compromised, then things will definitely get ugly.

Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing is, Microsoft played right into the "believe in generations" campaign by showing off their flagship title in such a poor state that it only worked to illustrate the supposed weaknesses of crossgen support, completely validating the cock and bull Sony was spouting all summer. Sony couldn't have planned it any better.

I'm still excited about next gen, but yeah...Jim Ryan and Sony PR are devious as fuck.

If Microsoft showed of Halo in that abysmal state because of one throw away line by Jim Ryan (in an interview where he also said they would keep supporting PS4), then I don't think it's Sony PR that's devious. Microsoft just played themselves.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I have been feeling this for a few months now, but imo the management of tPS as a whole has been going in the wrong direction, especially since the departure of Shawn Layden. I genuinely feel like this will become a bigger issue in the future. Right now they are still riding on the ps4 success, but it's not going to last forever.
Things need to change at the top. Jim Ryan is not the right person.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Maybe for most of the article (the cross-gen thing and messy pre-orders). But not props to them for spreading FUD about Demon's souls and GT7 possibly releasing on others platforms later (without any concrete proof about this). That was only there for the clicks.

I wouldn't say they are spreading fud, they were just driving their point home. Sony has been purposefully misleading us with their messaging. They also told us Horizon Forbidden West and Miles Morales were PS5 exclusives, so their point was, why would we believe then for GT7 and Demon's Souls when GT7 doesn't look like much more than a visually enhanced GT Sport and the original Demon's Souls trailer straight up said it was coming to PC and other consoles?

It's just about honesty/dishonesty. It doesn't look good to deceive people.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
But we've been wanting to know about it for months now. That's not a new topic of discussion. Yea...we all want to know what everything does....plus some of us would really like a system teardown. But what is there to say other than Sony isn't sharing it....still. There's no action to talk about.

And no...making cross gen games wasn't a recent decision. I'm positive the higher ups all know what's in development. And their messaging did not reflect what was really going on with their plans. They planned this and told us something different...pandemic and all. They can get the criticism during the pandemic too.

We're less than two months away from launch and people have already committed to a purchase. Not communicating those things is much more important to the purchasing decision than whether or not someones purchase will feel validated because their game is also available in an uglier form on another platform.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

Imagine if Apple or Google started taking pre-orders for a phone before we knew what the feature set was. People would absolutely lose their minds.

This is a non-issue, and not knowing the full picture this late in the game while pre-orders are live is absolutely the more important criticism. It's not about wanting to know them, it's about allowing your consumers to make more informed decisions about their purchase.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I really wouldn't be surprised if it ends up just working to be honest. I mean, you make a great argument here -- it really doesn't make much sense. I bet the DualShock 4 will just work on PS5 for most games and features to be honest. They might just add in a warning saying some functionality might not work as intended or whatever. But I really wouldn't be surprised if, come launch day, you can just use a DualShock 4.
I could see it going the other way where it's a TRC violation to allow the DS4 to work on PS5 games because in some cases it will work fine while others it won't so you don't want to cause confusion or mixed messaging of expectations when it's inconsistent.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

I really don't see how this is breaking promises. Everything they said about the PS5 still applies, there are features just for the PS5, especially with the Dualshock 5 and the games were made ground up for PS5.

I know it's more fun, if the shiny new games are only for the shiny new console. And makes you think the game might be more impressive when not 'held back' by last gen. But the Horizon trailer that everyone was so pumped for is still the same game. Spider Man's gameplay yesterday had the thread exploding with 'This finally looks next gen' takes. That is still the same game despite the news that came out afterwards.

Sony doesn't want to lose 100 million people install base the day PS5 launches. I am not surprised or offended by that.

Oct 24, 2019
It really is tragic how things went off the rails yesterday. That was the best show of the summer by far, followed by the June PS5 event. I don't think I've ever had such whiplash from the afterglow of a great show into all the confusion and chaos that immediately followed with bits of crucial information trickling in from random sources. Why all that stuff wasn't addressed directly by Sony before or during the show is mind-boggling to me.

PS5 sounds like a terrible deal, yet it'll be the only next-gen console I'll buy.

I'm extremely disappointed by Horizon being crossgen (was posting a lot about that in the first party thread yesterday), but in what way is the PS5 a terrible deal?

The price is good, the tech in the machine is great, the games are incredible, and the PS Plus Collection is a fantastic "pro-consumer" move

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I could see it going the other way where it's a TRC violation to allow the DS4 to work on PS5 games because in some cases it will work fine while others it won't so you don't want to cause confusion or mixed messaging of expectations when it's inconsistent.

Maybe. I dunno, I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad to see how much Sony's messaging and marketing has worsened during these last two-three years, they canceled fan favourite events, skipped E3 conferences, presented PS5 with that weird tech talk stream, they came up all this overly sleazy, confusing and misleading PR bullshit, at this point i'm surely not trusting anything Jim Ryan says anymore and it looks we'll also have to doubt and second-guess any piece of information and news coming up from their pr department as well.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
One thing that is absolutely not a dump on Sony but is just a... real fucking weird thing from the showcase last night that I feel like people are missing...

Why they hell did they do that amazing gameplay demo of Demon's Souls, that was kinda the showpiece of the whole presentation... and then not say anything about it being available at launch? It took Geoff Keighley announcing it (straight away) on Twitter and then follow up confirmation from a blogpost on Sony's JP blog.

Like, that seemed like big news, no? Just weird that they made absolutely no mention of it. Felt like an easy win. 'Demon's Souls available at launch! Price! Release date!'

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Thank you. Im finally feeling understood but I am cutting ties with Sony over this. At the moment Sony is a shit show I don't want to support anymore.

Oct 28, 2017
Now, I'm not that heartbroken like the fellows at Eurogamer but that been said the new team that took over the PS4 Launch team really fucked up what could have been a PS4 levels of awesomeness

Stormbrewer

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the end of the day Sony only cares about how much PS5 it sells and they've sold out of preorders everywhere withing minutes of being available. Sony doesn't care about Eras' crazy relations.

Also, this cross-gen talk is nonsense. There are only 3 games that are cross-gen.

The following is only on PS5:
God of War
Rachet
GodFall
Demon Souls
Destruction Allstars
Are we sure about God of War? The problem is:
1) We saw nothing but a title screen.
2) After the Spider-Man/Horizon/Sackboy news why shouldn't I expect God of War on PS4 too?

I personally think it's going to be a 2022 PS5 exclusive, but given the current communications and how Horizon/S:MM were given platforms after the fact, assuming exclusivity seems a little premature.