• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to take a lot of convincing to get me on board with another one after Andromeda.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If they're doing Andromeda 2 I'm down. I was never excited for the original ME 'cause I don't care about being a space marine.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While I wouldn't write it off, I would be pretty disappointed if it was set in Andromeda again.

Mass Effect 1 was immediately able to establish an interesting universe. Andromeda failed to do that.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I want Bioware to stop listening to the toxic community and stop being so affraid of the ending of 3! Stand by your choice! So what if not everybody like it?

First, criticism of a terrible game and ending isn't "toxic"; trash is trash.

Second, this notion of "stand by your choice" is a little naive given that these games are focus tested to death. Every decision made is based on market response. There's a reason why they rapidly patched, changed, and improved the ending. There is no brave artist with a clear vision at the heart of EA. Its a corporate machine.

Nothing Bioware has put out since ME2 has captured me, in fact every release has pushed me away more.

It feels strange seeing new information from a developer i used to adore and just feeling nothing.

I can't think of a company that so consistently degraded in output over time. Even ME2 was a step back other than the squad mates. The fucking reaper terminator... Just so bad.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Here's how:
-call the game "Mass Effect 4";
-stars Shepard and a handful of fan-favorite characters from the original trilogy;
-Andromeda is now marketed as the prologue to the new trilogy that starts with ME4.

This is how you go back to Andromeda, its world and its characters. The game is still a continuation of the story set up in Andromeda, and the characters from that game are still in 4. But you now center the game around Shepard being the PoV.

Instant hype.
Have you played Andromeda?

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
They made an entire new galaxy even less visually and conceptually interesting than the Milky Way. I have no faith in Bioware outside the remasters.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'll give them props for having the courage to go back to Andromeda after... well, you know. If they chose to do that, they must be confident in what they plan to do.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Andromeda (the setting) was the issue, and the plotpoints were interesting. Hopefully folks can approach with a fresh take on it.

for me that was exactly the issue, basically everything to do with the andromeda universe felt super uninspired after seeing how interesting the milky way could be

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm super excited for anything Mass Effect, but I would be fucking HYPED if it was a sequel to Andromeda! But this would be very surprising after the reception of this game...

When I finished Andromeda, I thought it would be awesome to have follow-up game taking place some time (years, decades, centuries ?) later, where you could see the small colonies you had created in Andromeda having turned into full blown megacities. I don't want to get my hopes up, but these artworks sure seem to indicate they might be going for something like this. This would literally be my dream game come true. Then again, this could end up being a chaotic development that gets rebooted twice and ends up as something completely different...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The idea of Mass Effect with no relays just isn't that interesting IMHO.
ME already established that only like 1% of the Milky Way was explored. The Mass Relays intentionally funnel species for the Reapers. Destroying the MRS force the the Citadel species to develop newer alternative FTL capabilities and opens up exploration of new regions of space. Having the MRS destroyed at the end of ME3 also setups a scenario where the galaxy is cut off from one another for many decades or centuries when left with only current FTL capabilities.

Setting a game like 50 years after ME3 where most regions haven't had any outside contact creates really interesting scenarios to see how different species and regions developed during that period. New cultures and societies could have emerged. Some areas could have prospered and developed new tech, while others may have regressed and faltered with the loss of support from the rest of the galaxy.

There's a whole lot of interesting things you could potentially explore and play with in a post ME3 game without a MRS or even just a heavily disrupted and fractured one. Even ignoring most of that just developing alternative FTL systems could open up new areas of the Milky Way and introduce new species and civilizations that managed to emerge outside of Reaper Tech and the Mass Relays, without nonsense like traveling to a whole new galaxy like Andromeda.

I agree. It's time to stop running from Mass Effect 3.

Even doing thousands of years in the future is a cop out to me.

Agreed I think sub 100 years max is the best. Ideally something like 25-50. It's enough time for some rebuilding and recovery, but still within most people's lifetimes and close enough that the galaxy hasn't completely moved on or recovered fully from the events.

I would love a game set around re-exploring and reconnecting with a fractured and recovering Milky Way. Not dwelling or focused primarily on the fallout from the Reaper War, but still seeing the impact of that event all over and how it setup current conflicts and dilemmas affecting the Citadel species. Exploring how the war reshaped and changed the various species and societies. For good and bad.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are bothered about it being in Andromeda again. Its literally a galaxy. Theres no reason to assume it has to actually follow the plot points of the first and its an environment that still offers infinite freedom for new ideas.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First, criticism of a terrible game and ending isn't "toxic"; trash is trash.
Criticism is one thing. That's not what happened with the ME3 ending and even with Andromeda's reception. Developers were constantly harassed, people who didn't agree with what was happening were called "BioWare shills," and not to mention EA was voted the worst company in the US in 2012 because people didn't like some creative decisions.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Criticism is one thing. That's not what happened with the ME3 ending and even with Andromeda's reception. Developers were constantly harassed, people who didn't agree with what was happening were called "BioWare shills," and not to mention EA was voted the worst company in the US in 2012 because people didn't like some creative decisions.

Bioware was loudly, widely, and rightly criticised for a trash product.

"Gamers" also crossed the line like the idiot incels they are.

But let's not frame the response to a terrible game as "harassments". Both occurred but one does not invalidate the other.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
I wouldn't be so sure. If someone like Mac Walters is involved in this game I can totally see them doubling down on a mistake that moving on. They already did it with ME3 ending and the AI x Organics plot.

i rather not make assumptions based on nothing. once we know the team and leads i will gladly be hyped or not.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I agree. It's time to stop running from Mass Effect 3.

Even doing thousands of years in the future is a cop out to me.

Just make it 100 years in the future. That's enough time to move on from the aftermath of the Reapers and short enough to even bring back some characters (cameo only) depending on their race or age. Wrex, Liara, or even some of the younger humans like Miranda could make a short appearance as a throwback.

Either way, by the time this game releases it will have been well over 10 years after ME3. Bioware just needs to get over the ending already. Nobody will even care anymore if you make the game good.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Return to Andromeda eh 🤔 Guess we'll see.... I didn't like the setting very much but I'll keep an open mind

Taking the series to Andromeda and even continuing the series in the Andromeda galaxy aren't inherently bad ideas. I mean, ME Andromeda wasn't bad BECAUSE of the Andromeda galaxy. It was bad because the characters, writing, map design and encounter design were all bad. I also just think the subject matter of colonization, while interesting on paper, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where the devs tackle that and it's good. It's a politically difficult topic that I wouldn't expect most AAA devs to handle well and there's all kinds of easy to fall into troupes and Andromeda failed on both fronts. The events of ME Andromeda are the sort of thing that would be more interesting as a codex entry.

On that note, they should do a time jump. Jump however much time it would take for the Milky Way galaxy species to fully integrate into the Andromeda galaxy and for the bulk of the MEA characters to have passed away from old age (I guess PeeBee would still be kicking) and then that's where your story begins. If they want another fish out of water scenario then come up with some kind of justification for another ship from the Milky Way galaxy to show up in Andromeda and you take control of a character on that ship.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But let's not frame the response to a terrible game as "harassments". Both occurred but one does not invalidate the other.
I'm not framing anything. Harassment did occur. Developers who were on social media at the time suffered a lot of it. I'm sure some people just criticized in a respectful way. There was also a very toxic community reacting to Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, and Mass Effect Andromeda in horrible ways.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Stop, devs got death threats, it was harassment, and it's a rewriting of history to say it wasn't.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Agreed I think sub 100 years max is the best. Ideally something like 25-50. It's enough time for some rebuilding and recovery, but still within most people's lifetimes and close enough that the galaxy hasn't completely moved on or recovered fully from the events.

I would love a game set around re-exploring and reconnecting with a fractured and recovering Milky Way. Not dwelling or focused primarily on the fallout from the Reaper War, but still seeing the impact of that event all over and how it setup current conflicts and dilemmas affecting the Citadel species. Exploring how the war reshaped and changed the various species and societies. For good and bad.
Damaged relays bring in so many dynamics.

Suddenly it's like the Gundam universe, where the Earth and the space colonies are separate entities.

There's so much you could do with that.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
After Andromeda and Anthem, BioWare will have to be extremely persuasive to lure me back to their games.

A good start for the next Mass Effect would be to pretend Andromeda never happened.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they'd have just announced the game when they had something tangible to show.

It was lame when they revealed Andromeda with just art work.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck Andromeda, this needs to be a sequel to ME3. No cop-outs, no "in parallel" narrative. A full-on after reaper invasion sequel.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not framing anything. Harassment did occur. Developers who were on social media at the time suffered a lot of it. I'm sure some people just criticized in a respectful way. There was also a very toxic community reacting to Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, and Mass Effect Andromeda in horrible ways.

Stop, devs got death threats, it was harassment, and it's a rewriting of history to say it wasn't.

Im not contesting the fact that harassments occurred.

I am saying it does not invalidate the criticism expressed by the community.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York

Suddenly it's like the Gundam universe, where the Earth and the space colonies are separate entities.

Exactly. Imagine some regions have the tech, resources and manpower, not to mention just sheer luck, to rebuild and repair their relays. They prosper and recover, while other regions are left isolated for decades more and when they finally reconnect there's this huge gulf and gap between their wealth, cultures and what not. The kind of cultural conflicts, class conflicts and resources conflicts that could arise from that.

I can imagine some planets and regions that developed wildly different cultures out of fear of the Reapers. New hyper militaristic/authoritarian nations and societies. Advanced or not advanced tech. New mixed cultures that combine various races as they were stuck stranded together in certain planets or regions. Having to live and work together in ways that never occurred in the pre-war galaxy where most species had their own planets and only in limited areas like the Citadel did they really live and coexist together. How would these multispecies societies develop.

Imagine if the Quarians after finally reclaiming their home and reconciling with the Geth only to see them all die worked to recreate them then they reconnect decades later to this rebuilt and brand new Quarian/Geth society where they utilized the AI and integrated it into their society and the once homeless and destitute Quarians are now one of the most developed and thriving species.

Same with the Korgan, finally freed of the Genophage, but largely stuck on their home planet/system. Would they move on from their hyper aggressive culture and actually rebuild within the ruins of their planet.

There's so much potential in a post-war ME setting. And it would be a real shame for them to just try and sidestep it again because some fans will throw a hissy fit their ending and choices weren't being honored.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017

If you had good writers yes.

There's nothing more I want than a good Mass Effect I am so skeptical they are even capable of delivering it anymore.

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
There is nothing wrong with Andromeda as a setting and a sequel could work with some good writers, which Bioware doesn't have. So i hope they leave the old characters alone if they have to make a new Mass Effect at all.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these responses are so angry.

No matter what Bioware does there will be a cavalcade of toxicity and harassment aimed at them.

They for sure need to not listen to Gamers and just do what they do best, with the best team they have to do it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I liked Andromeda if they rebooted it and take it in a different direction I would be fine with it.

Just bring all the races along this time. Leaving nearly half the races on a lost Arc was BS.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it takea place in both the Milky Way and Andromeda, connecting the two Galaxies together via new unexplored technology. The concept art highly suggests exploration takes a large role again which was Andromeda's strong suit.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting a it worried with the concept art all being huge open empty spaces. I really don't want this to be like Andromeda with big boring open world planets.

Maybe if they make them more enjoyable to explore and don't fill them with identical side quests (alien sudoku, find-the-runes, bunch of fetch quests, etc.).

IMO a new Mass Effect needs to return to what worked, which is having a lot of high quality unique missions for every major character and story quests, and then have a handful of smaller but dense hub zones (the citadel, Omega, etc) that those missions can fork off from. Those regular missions were the only decent parts of Andromeda to me, they were just too few and far between with all the open world filler.

And the Remnant just being Protheans 2.0 always felt boring to me. Oh, this new galaxy has an ancient extinct highly advanced species that left all their technology located all over the place? How convenient!

The only thing from Andromeda I want to see examined is that Dark Energy stuff. They teased that it's connected to the Remnant tech (or attracted to it or something), but they never got into it much in Andromeda 1. I like the idea of the main threat in a new series being more of a natural disaster rather than just a new alien that wants to kill everything.
I never want to see another Kett again. They were the worst of the worst.
Such an underwhelming villain. Easily defeated at every encounter, and their big cartoon eyes made them even less intimidating. Even the reveal that they reproduce kinda like the Borg was anti-climactic.

Even the Angaran were a let down for me. They're fine, but their main unique biological feature (touching stuff to learn its past) was something they already had with Javik in ME3. And like the Kett, the reveal that they were apparently engineered by the Remnant didn't feel that meaningful.

MAYBE if the Remnant, the Kett, and the Angaran's connections are explained in way more detail it could be interesting, but nothing in Andromeda 1 got me interested in finding out more.

Oct 25, 2017
Also building Mass Relays would suggest post Mass Effect 3 and I do hope they finally a decade later when we get the first TRAILER for this game, shows them moving forward. A hard cap on a universe like Mass Effect is ultimately a mistake and that needs to be course corrected.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will use Andromeda in the title of the next game if they decide to stay in that galaxy.
Nah I bet from now on they'll approach it like they do with Dragon Age where it's a different subtitle and a new playable character each time.

I think it makes sense to keep it in the Andromeda galaxy anyway, there's plenty of the galaxy unexplored (you were only in one cluster in the first game) and if they set it far enough from the first game it would have given the milky way species enough time to build up the helius cluster a bit.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like the idea of the main threat in a new series being more of a natural disaster rather than just a new alien that wants to kill everything.
I'd personally like them to reduce the stakes even more. We already had an existential threat with the Reapers. Refocusing things onto a smaller scale with localized conflicts would be nice. Natural Disasters, like the Dark Matter thread line they originally intended in ME1-3, is still a kind of existential threat against all life.

Andromeda dropped the ball for me with it's attempts at kind of maintaining super high stakes. Nothing kills a series more than the inability to lower stakes and keep things interesting. Always chasing the next big threat just diminishes everything and removes all sense of scale or severity to things. A natural disaster affecting like a single system could be work, but it might be a bit too abstract a central threat for a game centered around shooting things and talking to people.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
I don't know. Do you folx think this is an angaran?
Aea2koq.jpg

For reference:
qfq94r1vjk45.jpg
Even if it's not angaran architecture is clearly Remnant.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sorry, but nothing in these pictures look like Angaran or Remnant. Just because you have dark structures with neon lights doesn't automatically make something Remnant. And the characters are so freaking small and blurry there is no way to tell what they are. Not to mention it could be just placeholders, just like the other picture they revealed on N7 day where it was just shadows of Mordin and Thane from the ME2 squad select screen...

I'll continue to believe that this game will happen in the Milky Way, after ME3, somewhere far into the future so you don't risk coming across Shepard or any other squadmates. Except maybe Liara or Grunt I guess since they're pretty young in the trilogy and can live for a very long time.

Oct 27, 2017
The first scene of this game should be a child looking in a telescope at a bright blip of light in the night sky, then turning to his Dad and saying

"Dad what's that?"

"That's the Andromeda Galaxy son, it spontaneously exploded 300 years ago and the light from the explosion has only just reached us now"

"Wow! why did it explode??"

"No one knows son...but we're glad it did."

Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely play it either way, but if it's a straight up sequel to Andromeda I'll be extremely disappointed. I disagree every time (which is pretty often) people post a new thread about how Andromeda is not that bad. It lost everything I loved about the series. There are definitely ways you could include the Andromeda galaxy in another Mass Effect that would be great, though (the obvious example is it's hundreds of years later and you can travel to both galaxies). That said, obviously we know nothing at this point, so not really worth getting too far into any feelings about this. Bioware themselves will probably change everything multiple times before this game is close to being finished.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
this is what i agree on right now. make a bulging, rich and prosperous Milky Way centuries after ME3 with a heavy focus on characters and not save the world odds, just your run of the mill protag trying to get on with life and troubles. focus on meaningful exploration of these worlds we know and love from the trilogy.
Maybe since the Reapers were stopped, there could be some unintended consequence of allowing continued, unchecked growth in the Milky Way

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The construction of new Mass Relays is the most intriguing thing shown to me. As others have pointed out, that design is clearly human/Alliance.

Does it imply that we're still in the milky way and exploring new clusters and building relays in them? Is this just a stylized rebuilding of the damaged relays from ME3? Are they creating a Mass Relay network in Andromeda?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It would be nice to NOT have alien species that only exist to become the protagonist's fuck buddy. Andromeda's derivative alien design was so damn tiresome. It was a separate fucking galaxy and the endemic species were still humanoid with human like cultures and motives.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I want the alien threat to be truly alien. Something we cannot understand nor talk to.

How would the universe deal with it?

Something like this happened in 00 movie and while the series deserved a better ending or continuation, the alien threat was truly terrifying

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Maybe since the Reapers were stopped, there could be some unintended consequence of allowing continued, unchecked growth in the Milky Way

interesting subject to tackle if they show both good things and bad things of the galaxy being finally free from Reaper's overseeing. how the diplomacy is with genophage cured, how humans have risen after the key battles with the Reapers.

lot's and lot's of good things to craft outta Milky Way still.

Oct 27, 2017
Take one ending as canon and go back to the milky way. You already have the lore, locations and characters... Andromeda 2 is a waste of time.