• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Very disapointed to hear that megaton news that we won't be getting a big Xbox show... *checks calendar*.... tomorrow. Seems a little self evident that we won't be seeing anything in June when July literally starts on Wednesday.

No you didn't :D

OT, Game sites and journalist are looking for whatever to give them hits now.

OP
OP
Expy

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The really confusing part is not announcing the Series S. If they have a cheaper model ready to go why not just announce it? They have to be manufacturing these now unless they don't intent to have them ready by the XSX launch. I just wonder how much they are actually able to save on these if they are having to use the same CPU and the same fast RAM.
It's about how to market it. They've been marketing with buzzwords such as "fastest, most powerful", and showing off the Optimized for Series X badges everywhere; how do they go about introducing a new cheaper hardware model for which none of that marketing applies?

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
The really confusing part is not announcing the Series S. If they have a cheaper model ready to go why not just announce it? They have to be manufacturing these now unless they don't intent to have them ready by the XSX launch. I just wonder how much they are actually able to save on these if they are having to use the same CPU and the same fast RAM.

I guess you can't really announce it without positioning it price-wise relatively to the premium SKU, and that can't happen if you are not ready to talk about price at all.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This launch battle is going to decide things for the next decade, I expect both sides to take their sweet time revealing anything and everything. As a gamer, it's tough waiting for a price or reveal date, but I do understand why both are playing this torture game.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think a MS insider already shut down the 299 talk for the S. The X is going to be $499-$549 just because it is a pretty big bit of silicon.
so $399, and $499? i works just fine, but thats also what I expect sony to do. The Series S NEEDS to be less than a all digital PS5, if its the same price....yikes

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're all getting a little anxious MS. After being disappointed in may, waiting over 2 months (past July 6th) for clarity is going to invite frustration. A date would be good. People have been waiting for this moment since 2014.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

That reminds me.

Why haven't we seen assembly line leaks of the the series S machine?

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
There has still been plenty of news from MS in June, whether under the 20/20 branding or not.

Looking forward to July's showing.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They never said there was going to be an event in June, only news, and there's been plenty of that.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
so $399, and $499? i works just fine, but thats also what I expect sony to do. The Series S NEEDS to be less than a all digital PS5, if its the same price....yikes
If that person think Series S is $399, he won't think PS5DE will be $399.
Series S is like, ~40% of GPU power of PS5, 6 GB less RAM, also no BD drive, but somehow is same price as PS5DE?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So they're surprise announcing something today or tomorrow then? Because June is almost over.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's about how to market it. They've been marketing with buzzwords such as "fastest, most powerful", and showing off the Optimized for Series X badges everywhere; how do they go about introducing a new cheaper hardware model for which none of that marketing applies?

I honestly think this is far easier than most give it credit for. It's not 'new hardware' or a different console. Assuming everything we've heard about Lockhart is true then it's literally designed to be a Series X that runs at 1080p rather than 4k. That's no more complex than Apple selling 'the new Apple TV' in a 1080p SKU at one price and in a 4k SKU at another price.

They'll market the Series X. It'll start at x price. That's my guess.

It only gets confusing if you name it differently and try to explain it too much to folk who don't care about TF or know what resolution their screen is. All of a sudden every article is 'Microsoft announces second, budget console and it's only 1080p' rather than 'Xbox Series X price announced, two SKUs, starts at $299' or whatever. One of these seems far more sensible to me.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has to be the worst next gen reveal that I've ever witnessed. It's pretty much July and we don't have release dates, prices, and we're entirely missing a console reveal.
Covid happened. If things were normal. We probably would have seen the boxes and some games way earlier. We would also know the price by now i imagine

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This has to be the worst next gen reveal that I've ever witnessed. It's pretty much July and we don't have release dates, prices, and we're entirely missing a console reveal.
Didn't they do it already? They had a spec blowout and had a games showcase I thought. Granted the games were very underwhelming, but I thought the next event was just games showcase part 2.

OP
OP
Expy

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think this is far easier than most give it credit for. It's not 'new hardware' or a different console. Assuming everything we've heard about Lockhart is true then it's literally designed to be a Series X that runs at 1080p rather than 4k. That's no more complex than Apple selling 'the new Apple TV' in a 1080p SKU at one price and in a 4k SKU at another price.

It only gets confusing if you name it differently and try to explain it too much to folk who don't care about TF or know what resolution their screen is. All of a sudden every article is 'Microsoft announces second, budget console and it's only 1080p' rather than 'Xbox Series X price announced, two SKUs, starts at $299' or whatever. One of these seems far more sensible to me.
They can't really tack it on to the same marketing as Series X as that would be false advertising. Of course, assuming everything we've heard about it is relatively true.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
It's 2026 and after selling exactly 0 consoles (despite having produced 50 million units) a brave investor finally speaks up:

"Mr. Spencer, when are you planning on announcing the price for your Xbox Series X and Series S consoles?"

"I'm afraid that we don't have any news to share at this time."

In the distance someone shouts: "There's a pandemic going on give them some slack!"
it's 20XX

phil spenser bot series x awakens suddenly from sleep mode
he sync-snaps a message via the xCloud 2.0 to all of his subordinates

ANNOUNCE THE PRICE

microseconds stretched to infinity until one brave subprogramme responds

god king spenser, master chief of bros, lord of the gamerscore, there... there's nobody to listen to our announcement anymore. the gamers are dead.
the console wars turned red hot after they spilt from the safety of the forums out into the streets
we could've stopped it all my lord
we could've gave them a price, announced some games, showed them halo infinite's intro sequence for Gates' sake

but we didn't

and now every one is gone

spenser bot series x rebooted his durango core mega brain, a neural network that snaked its way throughout the five Corpo-nations, from New Cupertino to the Republic of Yum!. A billion, billion, billion, billion calculations ocurred in a picosecond and his team all saw the same notification appear before them, branded deep and quick within their cyberbrain

kerplink!

ANNOUNCE THE XBOX SERIES Y

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

Xbox Series XS?

D:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They can't really tack it on to the same marketing as Series X as that would be false advertising.

When has that ever stopped anyone ever? If it runs all of the same games, the same UI, is basically the same tech but one SKU outputs at 1080p and one outputs at 4k then why wouldn't you market them as one product, two SKUs?

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
All I care about is a great Halo Infinite showing in July. Please confirm when this reveal will be MS.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I assume the price on these consoles is higher than people expect.

Most companies are not willing to take losses during a recession. At first I thought the game of chicken over price was to see who would be lower.

Now I just think both will be high so they want to release the price later to try and delay the blowback until after the games are shown and hype has been built.

OP
OP
Expy

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
When has that ever stopped anyone ever? If it runs all of the same games, the same UI, is basically the same tech but one SKU outputs at 1080p and one outputs at 4k then why wouldn't you market them as one product, two SKUs?
It technically hasn't stopped anyone, but that doesn't negate the fact that it would be false advertising.

Lakandula

Jun 3, 2020
PH
Xbox 20/20 Article

Xbox 20/20

Starting with the May 7 episode of Inside Xbox, we will be showcasing what happens next in the world of Xbox, every month, which is why we're calling it "Xbox 20/20." These monthly moments will take place throughout the rest of the year and will be a way for us to engage, connect and celebrate with you about what's in store for the next generation of gaming, including what's next for Xbox Series X, Xbox Game Studios, Xbox Game Pass and Project xCloud. Every month will bring something different. Stay tuned to Xbox Wire for more details.

Now I know it's still June but I hate how silent Microsoft is now. If June ended without a "Xbox 20/20 moment" I guess it's safe to say they did a false advertising here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Not sure how heavily they'll market the Series S directly, but I'm sure they'll make large mentions on games advertising that they also work on the Series S.

Jul 26, 2018
it's 20XX

phil spenser bot series x awakens suddenly from sleep mode
he sync-snaps a message via the xCloud 2.0 to all of his subordinates

ANNOUNCE THE PRICE

microseconds stretched to infinity until one brave subprogramme responds

god king spenser, master chief of bros, lord of the gamerscore, there... there's nobody to listen to our announcement anymore. the gamers are dead.
the console wars turned red hot after they spilt from the safety of the forums out into the streets
we could've stopped it all my lord
we could've gave them a price, announced some games, showed them halo infinite's intro sequence for Gates' sake

but we didn't

and now every one is gone

spenser bot series x rebooted his durango core mega brain, a neural network that snaked its way throughout the five Corpo-nations, from New Cupertino to the Republic of Yum!. A billion, billion, billion, billion calculations ocurred in a picosecond and his team all saw the same notification appear before them, branded deep and quick within their cyberbrain

kerplink!

ANNOUNCE THE XBOX SERIES Y

What the f... o_O

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Driveby
Microsoft has no games to show. They are running to make some CG trailers from pre alpha builds.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
We haven't seen assembly leaks of the X either. Hell the only thing we have seen is a fin of the PS5 and that leaked from Sony themselves. The factories seem pretty locked down.

No reason to leak the X or PS5 because Microsoft showed the X last year and Sony showed the PS5 before leaks could happen.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Xbox 20/20 Article

Now I know it's still June but I hate how silent Microsoft is now. If June ended without a "Xbox 20/20 moment" I guess it's safe to say they did a false advertising here.
I still don't get why they wouldn't acknowledge if the series of articles on Xbox Wire is indeed a "Xbox 20/20 moment" (I would hardly call a series of articles, a singular moment), or if they postponed stuff because of world news in June. I'm it's ok, Sony did it too. I just find the silence treatment stupid, a mere month after announcing your big marketing thing about transparency.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Offtopic, but there's a thing that Eurogamer often does and it annoys me for some reason. They very rarely break news themselves but will instead 'confirm rumours' with their own sources. This is another example.
Yeah me too - I often suspect there are actually just one or two sources and they tell 3 or 4 different outlets the same thing, so that then the outlets can "independently" confirm each others stories.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I actually read this wrong and continued searching the article for the mention of a June moment for a legit good few minutes too.
You and me both. I was really excited for an info drop today or tomorrow. I'm really interested in the series S specs...probably getting an X anyhow, but I want the S to be a success.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't fucking care about the price. Let me preorder both and then decide on which I actually want to keep preordered come release.

Seriously... this sucks donkey balls.

EDIT: WRONG THREAD? Shieeeet I can't even...

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I am actually more confused after reading this. So their might be a July event or it might be August with the Series S? And basically eurogamer is not sure either