• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like yesterday's presentation was less about Series X and more about Gamepass. I don't think it's a bad move but the messaging seems muddled.

Oct 28, 2017
I only want to upgrade from X1X to XSX just to make the most of my current Gamepass subscription.

The current games haven't really wowed me yet but Gamepass and backwards compatability really are great though and I do want to get the best version of them. At this point though I might just stick with the X1X for a bit longer.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony have shown more to interest me so far, and the tech side of the PS5 sounds really exciting for how games are made next gen. MS haven't shown anything to grab me yet. Halo again holds no appeal, Sony just have more games and IPs that interest me.

Both companies (MS more than Sony I'd say) have shown the usual mix of non gameplay CGI trailers and teaser stuff which does literally nothing for me anymore. I want to see actual gameplay, running on the actual hardware before I get interested.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
They showed games I want to play, coming in both the near and far future. I dont play on PC, but I do want the best looking/running console version. So i'm sold on a Series X. So are a few of my friends and the ones who arent sold can luckily still play with us on XB1 through cross-gen for the 1st year or so.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
If we are all being perfectly honest, launch is never going to be perfect and I would say it's probably not representative of what the new machine is capable of going into the future. PS4 and Xbox One didn't have stellar launches, neither did PS3 or Xbox 360. The only one who seems to come out of the gate with great games is Nintendo.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Neither really sold me on their first party, but Sony did a better job between their first parties. I'm more interested in third party at this point. If I liked Sony's "prestige games" they PS5 would probably be a no brainer for me though.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
It's unfortunate as this will be the first generation that I won't be buying the new Xbox console, but I'm certainly not convinced I need to buy the XSX at all. Saves me money on another console I guess.

Same, although I'll either be buying the games via Steam. I don't play enough games to justify Gamepass anymore.
Why bother with buying their games on Steam when it's on Gamepass, for me I won't be doing that. Gamepass is on PC so why bother wasting money on them when it's on Gamepass.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
XSX is the end game for MS so the case is for GP.

Every game shown will be on GP. That's a damn strong case for GP.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
I think Eurogamer is on the mark as usual, but I have to admit that neither company "wow'd" me. Sony did actually show some content that looked like a generational leap, though, while MS assuredly did not..

To be fair they actually say the same in their article and I agree with both your and eurogamers sentiment....still buying day 1 tho lol

"Neither PlayStation nor Xbox delivered a slam dunk when making the software case for their new hardware launches this year."

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
They made me decide to stick to PC and keep Gamepass through xCloud and to keep my Xbox One S.
...and change your avatar!

But yeah, if anything this sold me on Game Pass, not next gen. Not much in there looked like it would require me to do a generational leap right now. Maybe in a few years...

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Games sell consoles.
Sony showed a bunch of games that can ONLY be played on next-gen, coming soon (in the next 12 months).
Meanwhile, XBox showed a bunch of cross-gen games, and next-gen exclusives have no release date, and a lot of them seem to be 2/3 years away. Also, the only game with gameplay in the entire showcase, didnt even look like it was running on a next-gen machine.

Sony has made their pitch. If you like their games, well, guess what, there's a bunch of them waiting for you on the PS5.
Sony doesnt need to reinvent the wheel, their games always sell like hot cakes and they're ahead in the race. It's XBox that needs to catch up to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has shown they have games that can't be played anywhere else day 1. That alone is the price of admission. There's no need to upgrade your xbox right now though.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
...and change your avatar!

But yeah, if anything this sold me on Game Pass, not next gen. Not much in there looked like it would require me to do a generational leap right now. Maybe in a few years...
Nope 👎 and they shown me that they truly don't car anymore and want it be fully fixed on service and not hardware.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Microsoft made a case for why you should join the Xbox ecosystem, and subscribe to game pass, more than anything else.

I feel like that's always been what MS is aiming for, and while it's cool, I think de-centralizing the console, basically makes it so you don't really need to buy it. Sony has 3-4 exclusives all seemingly coming out in the first year, and they all look great, and they all make me want to buy a PS5.

Microsoft on the other hand got the reaction of "cool, I'll subscribe to game pass for 3 months at some point and play some of these through Xcloud," and I just think it is inherently a different strategy. I'm cool with both, and I'm excited to use Xcloud and game pass, but Xcloud also makes it feel even less necessary to ever own an Xbox and I most likely will continue to never own an Xbox.

In a sense, I feel like that's kinda counter-intuitive, but on the other hand, Microsoft's strategy revolves around getting someone into their ecosystem on the terms of how a consumer wants to, and I'm sure Microsoft would rather get the 45 or 60 dollars a year out of me, from the few months of game pass, then not ever get any money from me.

I think these two companies just have fundamentally very different strategies and very different plans moving forward. The last 3 minutes of the Xbox conference spoke for itself, when they said "all of these games and more are coming to game pass." Microsoft above all else, wants you to subscribe to game pass, if you want to buy a box, it's there for you to buy as well, but that does not feel like the focus anymore.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
At this point it feels they are looking to be the windows of gaming, friendly to various hardware but also give people an option if they want to game on a console. But pretty much they are pivoting towards PC vs a closed box system. It's different it will work out for them but it def is fully getting away from the concepts we know of consoles and new generations for MS at least.
And that is a good strategy, but then why deliver the most powerful console, months of boasting about its performance and Terraflops, when you are not showing anything impressive running on it, is to me a bit of a mind boggle.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
All I know is this is by far the least hyped I've been for a new gen, I'm perfectly fine sticking with my old PC for a while longer.

Sony was better in trying to wow me with Horizon and Ratchet but neither of those are killer apps to me and with games this gen still looking incredible you got diminishing returns rearing its head in.

I think I'm most looking forward to Demon Souls and I already played that game.

RE8 too but I can play that on PC.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman Mile Morales is an upgraded PS4 game? News to me....

Either way, I don't know when was the last time a system launched with a game of the generation, but if Ratchet and Clank or GT7 is at launch, I'm going to say that is enough for people to go out and buy a PS5 for. In fact, Sony's first year looks kinda ridiculous. We saw snippets of their games, Demons Souls remake, Horizon, Ratchet and Spidey I think will wow in person. Even so, devs have stated the biggest shift is going to be the SSD and new creative ideas, the Unreal demo will get reached, but are we really expecting a full AAA game that looks like that at launch?

Also, I'm ready for Destiny 2 at 60fps and no load times. I'll be able to play that day one on PS5...

Switch with BoTW should be a contender here. Probably the OG Xbox with Halo as well.

The PS5 made a better case with their tech talk. Because you can't get that custom tech on PC or Sony's games (well, for now)

It's ironic saying this now considering how people were not happy with the talk when it came out (mistaking it for being a games presentation instead of what it was originally purposed as), but looking back it definitely did make a case for what the PS5 is about - especially seeing seeing the SSD in action with R&C.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I hope not.
I think Spiderman, Ratchet, Demon Souls, and Horizon FW are all coming out within the first year of the system and will all wow.

None will be game of the generation. And that shouldn't be necessary. They will be significant upgrades over their predecessors. But they aren't going to be the crowning achievements of the system.

Expectations should be tempered. While you shouldn't expect super specialized software that truly takes advantage of the hardware, you should also be able to expect games that looks modestly better than the previous generation.
I think Sony is walking that balancing act just fine. None of their games will feel last gen. But none of them will be crowning achievements. Games in 2023 and beyond will be far more impressive in terms of design and visual fidelity.
I'm right there with you...Sony's event was really impressive, nothing blew me away, but it made me want a PS5...
yeah trying to put ps5 and seriesx at same spot here feels disingenuous at best.
whatever first party games sony showed looked much closer to release and impressive. their studios are probably deep in next-gen development too without shackles of supporting 7 years old hw.
Yeah, I'm ready to trade in my Pro right now just to play Destiny and GT7. Also, the controller seems really cool, so I'm ready upgrade to DualSense as well.

iceblade Yeah, I was thinking of Botw, and I agree my other ones would be original Xbox with Halo, N64 with Mario 64, and maybe Dreamcast with Soul Calibur?

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Good article, honestly, I was reconsidering my day one purchase of the XSX after being disappointed by Halo graphically, but I'm going to go ahead with it. The optimised BC titles, plus likely best versions of Halo, Yakuza: LAD, and The Ascent, convinced me and will keep me satisfied at launch.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You do have to sell consoles for the services to mean something.
I don't think this is the case for MS. They can pretty much have the Xbox ecosystem on PC now. Console seems just as an option for people who don't wanna build a decent gaming PC. It makes sense, it more than likely will allow them to dominate the PC market, but it takes away what most of us see the console market as and I see that Sony pretty much now becomes the cutting edge leader in gaming since they develop games mainly on a single spec and would allow virtualized PS via a cloud solution. But their hardware solutions are more married to hardware.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a paid up GamePass subscription and I skipped Xbox One X, so a Series X purchase in 2020 makes more sense to me than a PS5 at this point, even if I will get a PS5 eventually (and maybe this year).

Isn't Spider-Man the only confirmed 1st party PS5 launch title so far? I didn't like the last Spider-Man game, so that fails to sell the hardware to me. If Demon's Souls is 2020 (not confirmed, right?), I'm definitely on board, but Spider-Man is not doing it for me.

Almost everything else on PS5 for 2020 is on both consoles, right?

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
One company has a-lot more to prove than the other. Sony absolutely killed it this generation both in terms of console sales as well as their gaming library and first party production.

Going into the next generation all of the pressure is on Xbox because they are the ones with the most unknowns from their first party lineup as well as the ones who got basically outsold 2-1. It's on them to convince people to either switch from Sony or to shell out money for their offering along with Sony's and so far i don't think they have done that. Hopefully they get it together fast because strong competition brings out the best in everyone and only benefits the consumer.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
Wait what? What is this in reference to? Rumors they might show something next week?
I heard that there might be something next week, but even in terms of strategy, I do believe that releasing anything showcasing more of the PS5 power next week would absolutely affect Microsoft's ability to market their "strong" console.

What's the use of having an almighty console if no one knows how to use it?

I think Sony should show a gameplay demo of one of their games running on a PS5 next week, and if they do so, well, it's pretty much done for Microsoft. Specifically of a game that will generate massive interest, and that is also visually and technically stunning, and then it's pretty much done. It's just business after all...

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
The messaging is so confusing because Microsoft's overall strategy is to make the Xbox a subscription platform that can be utilized across any modern Xbox console, PC, or even mobile device via Xcloud. As such, the Series X isn't something that one needs to buy to play anything they're advertising right now and is instead really an enthusiast device for someone who wants to have a future-proof Xbox and play all new games at their highest quality at launch.

The issue is that MS has done a piss-poor job at communicating this, and I think it's largely because they still want to advertise the Series X as if it's a new next-gen must have device and not an iterative hardware upgrade. I think they just need to own that their new strategy is hardware-agnostic in a much more overt way than they've been doing and clearly state that next-gen for Xbox is Game Pass + Xcloud and not any one piece of hardware.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
And that is a good strategy, but then why deliver the most powerful console, months of boasting about its performance and Terraflops, when you are not showing anything impressive running on it, is to me a bit of a mind boggle.
I agree, whats power esp when you still need games to work on PC. While Sony doesn't have to worry about PC and is supplementing most PC experiences with just select releases and cloud games only.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
We've hit diminishing returns on the graphics front. Ray tracing is hard to spot for most customers unless you offer up side-by-side comparisons and other things like model complexity and draw distance have really hit something of a peak.

The difference is gonna come from the usage of the the fast storage tech that both companies have developed, but games that utilize that won't be out until the consoles have been on the market for a year or two, so those are a ways away.

As usual, buying a console at launch isn't a great investment.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine skipping both consoles this year, there's nothing there to get excited about really (unless demon's souls becomes a launch game for ps5)

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Yup

I'm totally interested in GamePass and Halo, but their hardware? Couldn't care less

I will probably be able to play every game shown on the One/X, so why should I upgrade?

Probably because of third party games?
Third party being responsible to market why should someone buy a new Xbox is just embarassing

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I heard that there might be something next week, but even in terms of strategy, I do believe that releasing anything showcasing more of the PS5 power next week would absolutely affect Microsoft's ability to market their "strong" console.

What's the use of having an almighty console if no one knows how to use it?

Oh I don't disagree with you. I think XSX will eventually shine, but if Halo can't do it, it seems it'll be a while before we get a game that can, like Hellblade, or The Initiative's project. That said, where have you heard about something next week if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious and antsy to get more next-gen stuff!

Oct 27, 2017
I think people are looking for a magical paradigm shifting feature that changes the way you play games that justifies a new generation of consoles, and that predictably has not been the case with this generation. They just have better specs as expected. The only newish thing I can think of is you're at least by going to have a gamepass sized library at launch, that's new for a console launch.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the case they're trying to make. The case they're trying to make is for Gamepass and Xbox as a platform.

They aren't launching a brand new piece of hardware this fall because they don't care if people buy it or not. They are trying to make a case for both GamePass and Xbox Series X and yesterday's showcase was great for the former and not so great in a lot of people's eyes for the latter.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. This is the most unexciting console transition ever. I am baffled by both companies approach.
Part of it was because the Wii U was so underwhelming, but the Switch rollout was way better. The system was very clever, very clear jump over the last one. And it launched with Zelda AND Mario in the launch year.

what is PS5 even launching with? TimeD console exclusive deathLoop I can play on PC? That fake Destiny Godfall? Pass!

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
the problem with halo, i reckoned, is not it being 'bad looking' (though its graphic fidelity's definitely not helping). The problem with halo infinite is in fact, it seemingly fixated on the fans already entrenched in the halo gameplay and universe and still continues to do so. And that can be a problem because seriously, is the halo franchise is growing beyond its core audience at the moment?

Taking the graphics aside, everything being shown at the gameplay segments of halo infinite, any non-halo fans gonna impressed by that and exclaimed: "wow! I need to play that!"??

Like there's an open world, you shoot aliens in a robotic suit. It'll be mindblowing if its the first time i've seen such a concept in first person shooters. But i played that game in 2007 with better graphics and it's called 'Crysis' (not implying crysis is better than halo infinite so don't @ me please).

seriously, if you are a halo fan, how are you gonna pimp halo infinite (seemingly the lynchpin of the Series X launch) to a person that's not a fan of the franchise like me (played and completed halo 1 & 2 on PC back then and thought it's just 'alright')? All the features that halo fans seems excited (smooth gameplay! story! masterchief! A big world to explore!) doesn't sound exactly enticing to an 'outsider'.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I do agree with them!

I would even say Sony didn't really show anything that couldn't be on PS4 EXCEPT for Ratchet...so at least they showed one game that I can tangibly see next gen being needed for. Other than that, they both have a ways to go
This 100%. Not sure if it's down to Covid but between Sony, MS, and Ubisoft I haven't seen anything of next gen that's next gen. It is more about possibility than delivery right now.