• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
www.eurogamer.net

Lego Island studio Mindscape fired staff to avoid paying bonuses

Mindscape, developer of the iconic 1997 Lego game Lego Island, laid off the project's team to avoid paying them various…
Mindscape, developer of the iconic 1997 Lego game Lego Island, laid off the project's team to avoid paying them various bonuses.

The small team which built Lego Island had worked on the game for two years and had already begun work on an underwater-set follow-up. But when it became clear how successful Lego Island would be, Mindscape bosses took action to avoid paying them their contracted royalties.

"When the game came out, we knew that it was going to be big," Lego Island senior producer Scott Anderson said. "We have a terrific program in place for bonuses, for the team. And when the game came out, rather than pay off the, uh, the people who work on it, I mean, they sold like a lot of copies in the first day. And so they owed us royalties, they owed us a lot of bonuses and they decided that they would fold the company rather than pay us. So they fired the whole team, and then they folded the company."

Crecente added that this is an account he had heard from numerous people connected with the project that he had spoken to, while researching the Bits N' Bricks podcast series.

"They believe that the company did not want to have to pay out those bonuses," Crecente commented. "So they fired everybody before it started selling. Absolutely terrible."

While Mindscape would continue on under new management after the company sold itself, the Lego Group did not contract the developer again for Lego Island 2, or any further project. And, sadly, without the original team on board, Lego Island's sequels never lived up to the original.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I can still hear the music from Lego Island in my head. I don't know who the people at the top were, but fuck them.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who enjoyed Lego Island back in the day, it saddens me to hear that the people who made the game were treated like this.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Amazing how over the long term they could have made more money with subsequent sequels than just the small amount of short term profit by firing their own development team. Capitalism continues to show its ass.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever decided to do that should be forced to spend the rest of their days in the scary cave from the racetrack being constantly trampled by the giant skeleton

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
Oh wait. This is going to make us more money than expected? And we'd have to give developers a cut of the extra money we never thought we'd get?

Can't be having that! Abandon ship, and screw over future potential money. Can't let devs get silly idea that they'll get any bonus

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I played the hell out of Lego Island. Shitty move to axe everyone, an underwater sequel wouldve been amazing

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Recognised their name, remembered it was the logo at the start of Circuit Breakers for the PS1. What a game. Apparently they made Rat Attack too which I enjoyed.

Such a shame to hear about them taking such a dick move towards the devs.