• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
'The question should be how did you manage to do it in that time!'

Finally, some seven years after it first broke cover at 2013's PlayStation Meeting as it accompanied the unveiling of the PlayStation 4, Media Molecule's Dreams is here, its long and winding road concluding towards the tail-end of that particular console's life. Except it's not the end of Dreams, of course - it's the beginning of a project that will transform over time according to the community's needs and wants.

So last time I met you was at the PlayStation experience five years ago - and I think we all thought the game was imminent then.
Alex Evans:
Yeah, it was. I mean, it was one of those funny things where we had made a thing where you could make beautiful stuff, but it was really painful, not very fun to make stuff with and we could take the pain of using it every day, but it wasn't what we wanted it to be. And, you know, Sony gave us the rope to try again. Basically, I joked that this is Dreams 2. But we've taken the time to make the thing we wanted it to be.

Did you have to go back and start from scratch?
Alex Evans:
I mean, not from scratch - I think every game maker will tell you this, you go through a process of searching for what it is that makes your idea work again, same idea, same plan, but then you're like, 'Oh, this is rubbish, this particular path we've gone down'. You do have to backtrack sometimes - we took a big backward step. We looked at what we had, and I'm so glad we did it because I look back at those old videos and I'm like, the content was cool. The levels we were making were beautiful and everything but the process of creation wasn't good enough for the community to flourish.

To my eyes it doesn't look that different to what I saw back in 2015 - I thought it looked great back then!
Alex Evans:
A lot of it's about making it easier. We put a lot of effort into stuff like tutorials - which sounds very boring and schooly, but the tools are actually kind of funny. There's a joke that the last 10% takes 90% of the time - and it was that, it was making it good, fun and easy. And that's what we focused on. I'm going to maybe probably butcher this because I'm not exactly sure what he said - I didn't read the original quote - but there was the bloke who made this sort of Wipeout clone, and it went viral and Kotaku picked it up.
And someone asked him why didn't you use Unity? Why don't you just use Unreal? And he said, because I had no idea that I was going to make this game. I didn't have a plan. I'm not a game maker. I didn't even think of myself as someone who's going to go and make this particular game that's going to go viral. I just had fun making a thing. And it sort of blossomed and turned into this. And that's Dreams for me. That was a really nice little parable, and I'm proud Dreams can let someone just be doodling and then for it to flourish rather than someone saying I will be the next Mike Bithell, I'll be the next indie sensation. You can do that too hopefully.

I know you can't talk about other platforms explicitly, but, well, there is one coming out later this year. In theory what would you be able to do on other platforms?
Alex Evans:
I've not been asked that question before... I obviously can't say PlayStation 5 is brilliant! Although it's been announced so I can say the word. I mean, obviously, we're going to look at that, we're a PlayStation studio. Dreams actually already runs on PlayStation 5 - there you go, that's the scoop. But that's just us being devs and exploring. I'd be lying to you if I said we weren't going to explore, but there's literally zero plans at the moment. I think I've learned my lesson - we met in 2015 and I said [Dreams] is nearly done! And then here we are, four or five years later, and it *is* done. But my new self, I will admit that we're exploring things but I'm not going to commit to when it comes out.

Full interview here: www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-02-14-why-did-dreams-take-seven-years-to-make

I'm heading out now to pick up my copy.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
What they've managed to accomplish with Dreams is nothing short of incredible. It's a game engine, it's 3D modelling software, it's a musical DAW, it's an asset marketplace (where everything is free), and it's a social media platform. And everything works together. It's amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
" Dreams actually already runs on PlayStation 5 - there you go, that's the scoop."

I wonder how it runs tho? Natively or through backwards compatibility? Or is that the same thing in the post x86 console architecture world?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" Dreams actually already runs on PlayStation 5 - there you go, that's the scoop."

I wonder how it runs tho? Natively or through backwards compatibility? Or is that the same thing in the post x86 console architecture world?

I assume natively. Consoles are so close to computers these days that I highly doubt they're needing to emulate a PS4 to run a game like Dreams. I feel like in most cases the only reason a game from this gen wouldn't be playable on next gen is for licensing reasons and not technical reasons.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
There it is - he says VR IS NEARLY READY!

Now, the question is, does this benefit from PS5 ?

And what does THIS refer to?
"We've got a secret project that's going to be coming out soon. It's nothing to do with games. This is a collaboration with somebody."

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume natively. Consoles are so close to computers these days that I highly doubt they're needing to emulate a PS4 to run a game like Dreams. I feel like in most cases the only reason a game from this gen wouldn't be playable on next gen is for licensing reasons and not technical reasons.
If you own this gen's games digitally or physically they will all be playable on next gen. There won't be licensing reasons preventing that.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
There it is - he says VR IS NEARLY READY!

Now, the question is, does this benefit from PS5 ?

And what does THIS refer to?
"We've got a secret project that's going to be coming out soon. It's nothing to do with games. This is a collaboration with somebody."

There are some not-so-secret collaborations they're working on, that he maybe thinks are still secret? For example, as part of a Sony Corp branding campaign, they're collaborating with some unnamed Dreams creators on live performance visuals for a Sony music artist (as part of a 'one sony' creative collaboration thing). So I'd guess it's something like that. OR, perhaps, a developer that is using Dreams to make a standalone game? They had a hand in the technology behind Concrete Genie, so it could be something along those lines too.

Oct 24, 2019
This might end up being the most important game of the decade.

It's impossible to understate how much this game could shape the industry (and the way that we as consumers interact with it) going forward.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Given how amazing it is I hope that they've somehow made it portable to PS5. It needs to be a staple for Sony consoles from this point forward.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I really, Reeeally want a licensable version of this for PC (to make and sell content). I think I remember that they were considering it, hope it happens.

Gonna try it out anyway, copy in the mail.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
where we had made a thing where you could make beautiful stuff, but it was really painful, not very fun to make stuff with and we could take the pain of using it every day
That's the difference between DOA and maybe sucess. It fits exactly in the famous Miyamoto quote.
PS4 BC on PS5 is also what must have said them.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Any other publisher wouldn't have let them go back to the drawing board for another 4-5 years.

Lol well Sony just closed Manchester studio before even launching one game, and they shuttered Evo for a botched driveclub launch. I love Sony, but I feel like they're probably not happy that this took so long.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Any other publisher wouldn't have let them go back to the drawing board for another 4-5 years.
What about what Nintendo is doing with Retro Studios and MP4!
They restarted MP4 when RS got it, and RS themself haven't finish making a game in 6 years now!
It the project that RS had when they got MP4, is that canceled, put on hold or ar they making 2 projects at once now?

Nintendo must have really good faith in them to let them work in over 6 years without any project out yet

Oct 25, 2017
Man when vr hit it'll be like the biggest shot in the arm for that platform from a creative standpoint. Ppl are gonna go nuts

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't think licensing will be an issue for BC next gen. It happened with Xbox this gen because of the specific way it was implemented, but odds are next gen all of older executables will just run, no repackaging needed.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously there a studio of about 100 people and they've basically made the most accessible game engine on a puny console. Of course it was going to take a while. Its really an astounding achievement just the visual aspect its crazy you can get naturalistic non game type visuals, so effortlessly.

I mean everyone is familiar with polygons and how they look but I'm betting most people don't know how difficult it is to manipulate them. If they'd have went with polygons the game could never have been so accessible. And you can get the polygonal look if want, and yet you can deviate in so many ways which would be difficult and costly in any other engine.

And that's just one part all the systems are integrated in such a fluid manner, so that you could make a perfect rhythm game which would be a hell of an effort in any other engine, and you can switch between game types easily and he load times are next to non existent. It has a fully functional DAW which is almost equal to real ones, a procedural animation system and so much more.

Its one hell of an achievement, which most people cannot understand or appreciate. They've made a game engine that in some aspects is close to equal to or better than Unity or Unreal Engine and other packages like Blender and Zbrush and Fruity Loops and yet all rolled into one and running on a puny console for the small price of $40.00 and it's extremely easy to use with a simple dualshock4.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah I'll be personally lobbying the better creators to get a G-Police VR sim put together! Just cruise around in your futuristic helicopter chasing down criminals and soaking up that Bladerunner atmosphere. Hoo boy! It would even work well with the thermometer limits thanks to you skipping between biomes like the original game.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Dreams is an astonishing accomplishment and one of the most important games ever launched. The toolset is so accessible and the sense of progress quick and rewarding. Some people have called Dreams the democratization of games development where the only limits are your time, dedication and creativity. I agree to this statement. Congratulations to Media Molecule. Now back into Dreams to work on my secret little project! :D

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Seriously there a studio of about 100 people and they've basically made the most accessible game engine on a puny console. Of course it was going to take a while. Its really an astounding achievement just the visual aspect its crazy you can get naturalistic non game type visuals, so effortlessly.

I mean everyone is familiar with polygons and how they look but I'm betting most people don't know how difficult it is to manipulate them. If they'd have went with polygons the game could never have been so accessible. And you can get the polygonal look if want, and yet you can deviate in so many ways which would be difficult and costly in any other engine.

And that's just one part all the systems are integrated in such a fluid manner, so that you could make a perfect rhythm game which would be a hell of an effort in any other engine, and you can switch between game types easily and he load times are next to non existent. It has a fully functional DAW which is almost equal to real ones, a procedural animation system and so much more.

Its one hell of an achievement, which most people cannot understand or appreciate. They've made a game engine that in some aspects is close to equal to or better than Unity or Unreal Engine and other packages like Blender and Zbrush and Fruity Loops and yet all rolled into one and running on a puny console for the small price of $40.00 and it's extremely easy to use with a simple dualshock4.

Exactly, I mean people take entire university courses to learn the entire CG pipeline of box modelling, high poly sculpting, retopology, map baking, PBR texturing etc. None of this stuff is intuitive at all and you end up having to require the knowledge of half a dozen different pro-level programs just to get something out of the door. That they've managed to simplify and gamify the workflow while still allowing some really complex results is frankly amazing.

I mean you only have to look at the UI's of some the software used to make games to get an idea of the level of complexity that comes with working with polygons and the full CG pipeline:

maya_2019_cached-playback.png

CzB0gNPWEAEIepO.jpg

fetch

I honestly think Media Molecule have some of the best UI designers in the industry, with the way they're able to take complicated concepts and present them in a simple, easily understandable way. Reminds me of the company developing Procreate which have been able to take something that traditionally has had a pretty high learning curve (digital painting with Photoshop) and boiled it down to the essence with an intuitive UI that's simple and just fun to use. Unfortunately the same can't really be said for a lot of development software which usually has an even higher learning curve, sometimes needlessly - for example the fact that Zbrush and Blender just seam to throw out so many UI conventions without really offering anything more intuitive in return.

trugc

Oct 28, 2017
Have they changed their rendering solution? DF's video says they are using cone tracing on SDF in rendering. But I recall their rendering pipeline is purely point cloud based, and SDF is only used in modeling.

Anyway Dreams is probably the most technically unique game in this gen.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Surely they must be working on a port. The real life of Dreams will be on PS5. I actually wonder if it's going to be packed in to every console shipped. It would be an amazing differentiator and in a strange sense almost belongs in there as part of the OS. PS5; it only does everything including game development.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dreams on PS5 will be insane

Hopefully they have a PS5 version in the works instead of only backward compatibility.

Unless they are preparing a big PS5 patch or something.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game truly is the stuff of Dreams, did not expect such a powerful toolset. Did not expect this kind of creativity. Love their answer to why it took so long. The bigger question is with how insane the toolset is, how crazy is it such a small team could accomplish this in that amount of time! Good on Sony for letting them take as long as needed. Would really love... a free copy of this for PS5 on launch or a promise to update it for PS5 for free. That'll future proof this for sure.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Have they changed their rendering solution? DF's video says they are using cone tracing on SDF in rendering. But I recall their rendering pipeline is purely point cloud based, and SDF is only used in modeling.

Anyway Dreams is probably the most technically unique game in this gen.

Yeah I'm sure you're right... SDFs are converted to flecks on the surface of objects. There's also the bricks which are never seen but are used for occlusion culling. In neither case do they evaluate SDFs frame-by-frame. The animation possibilities if that was feasible would be insane.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
They have changed it.

The purely point cloud based one had big problems with overdraw (how do we occlusion cull this stuff?) and models had microscropic holes in them, so they were always partially transparent (making occlusion culling also more complex). You can see that transparent problem it in some of the older footage of the game actually.

Now it is raymarched SDF Hulls for objects and splatted alpha for texture/any transparency.

Jan 10, 2018

Rockstar takes forever to make their games. Retro Studios didn't put out a game since 2014(would have been 2013 if it wouldn't be for the WiiU game drought) and still got Metroid in their hands. And in defense of many other developers, 7 years plus shouldn't be normal.

Ignoring aforementioned nonsense, its cool Sony gave them the freedom.