• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should've gone all the way tbh:

cakvb.jpg

Hollywood and gaming really need to stop it with the "no bodyhair" bs they're on about.

If Aloy can have light fuzz on her skin Thor can be a tad hairy.
you know what, you're absolutely right. I'm not even really a fan of chest hair but it totally works here. MAKE 👏 THOR 👏 HAIRY

cakvb.jpg
E-4CZB3VcAIeomw

Last edited:

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
His design is fine. Also according to a lot of books about norse mythology etc, isnt Thor a drunk, glutton and an asshole basically? his design fits that lol.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking love how he looks and I say that as a straight dude. Has a clear "strongman" look. Looks like he could fuck shit up but isn't an Australian model.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

cakvb.jpg

Hollywood and gaming really need to stop it with the "no bodyhair" bs they're on about.

Magnificent! I couldn't put my figure out what I found off about Thor's design (because he looks great), annnnd it turns out it was the lack of body hair all along.

I'm so used to Kratos being mostly hairless from the PS2 days that I don't find it as jarring for Kratos to not have body hair -- also, I guess having one's skin being covered with the dead ashes of your family is probably more efficient than getting body hair waxed. ...even more painful, though.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Dude eats regenerating goats every day was tricked into trying to drink the ocean. Of course he's got a gut.

Now I want to see him in an Obelix costume.

Last edited:

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, the design works pretty well for a Tor not based on superhero comics. I agree with the ones who say that adding body hair makes the design as a whole work better though. I'm more concerned about Tyr seemingly having two hands in the trailer.
The only design that I really can't stand from the new GoW-games is Balder. His whole thing in the myths is that he was ridiculously beautiful. Like so pretty it almost hurt to look at him. So beautiful that every single thing in the Nine Realms agreed to never harm him because it would be too heinous a crime. So beautiful that every living thing in every world (exept for Loke) wept when he died. I can absolutely appreciate what they were going for with his character when it comes to his characterization and motivations, but he was not pretty.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the design works pretty well for a Tor not based on superhero comics. I agree with the ones who say that adding body hair makes the design as a whole work better though. I'm more concerned about Tyr seemingly having two hands in the trailer.
The only design that I really can't stand from the new GoW-games is Balder. His whole thing in the myths is that he was ridiculously beautiful. Like so pretty it almost hurt to look at him. So beautiful that every single thing in the Nine Realms agreed to never harm him because it would be too heinous a crime. So beautiful that every living thing in every world (exept for Loke) wept when he died. I can absolutely appreciate what they were going for with his character when it comes to his characterization and motivations, but he was not pretty.

Atreus hasn't given birth to Fenrir yet so Tyr hasn't had reason to lose his hand. I'd guess the GoW version of that story happens in this game.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017

cakvb.jpg

Only thing I didn't like was that hes not wearing a shirt but just adding hair works for some reason lol

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

cakvb.jpg

Didn't think it was possible to make Thor look even better and here you are adding hair and making him look fabulous.

Andrin

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Atreus hasn't given birth to Fenrir yet so Tyr hasn't had reason to lose his hand. I'd guess the GoW version of that story happens in this game.

Fair enough. A bit weird that the game takes place during Fimbulvinter then though, since Ragnarök starts with Fenris breaking free from his chains. Must be lousy chains if he can just get chained and then break free in less than 5 years.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

cakvb.jpg

The original design is super cool but this is even much better, a lot more so IMO. I honestly hope Santa Monica makes this change lol

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I won't lie, his design wasn't even close to what I was expecting so I needed some time to warm up to it. But, now, I kinda dig it. It's nice to see that Gods or Goddesses or whatever don't necessarily have to fit just one body type. Gives us a variety

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Lol this is my first time seeing that picture. Nothing wrong with fat Thor, but he looks like a balloon there.

cakvb.jpg

This is so much better.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The main antagonist of the previous game was a guy who's like 100lbs lighter than Kratos and hits like a truck. People have weird hang ups about body types.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Well I'm no expert on Norse mythology so probably nothing accurate with regards to that. A lot of it was shaped by the MCU Thor's physique + thinking/knowing that he had red hair and a beard but the beard perhaps being more...nice looking
Even before this picture we knew that the God of War series' depictions of gods tend to skew towards their more unflattering aspects from the original myths. The game this one is a direct sequel to straight up describes Thor as a fat, greedy slob who beats his own children, and in the teaser ending Thor shows up and is indeed a wide fellow.

Oct 26, 2017
Even before this picture we knew that the God of War series' depictions of gods tend to skew towards their more unflattering aspects from the original myths. The game this one is a direct sequel to straight up describes Thor as a fat, greedy slob who beats his own children, and in the teaser ending Thor shows up and is indeed a wide fellow.
Oh I get that, even if they do take some of their liberties here and there. I was just a bit unaware of Thor properly looked like and it's been some time since I've played GoW 2018 so I didn't quite remember that :P

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Damn. I wanted a thin Thor with biker shorts who was a vegan. And to think I was looking forward to this game. Thanks a lot SSM.

/s if not completely obvious.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Norse Thor ('real Thor') is a drunken, arrogant, murderous, and douchey fuck, and even more so in the GoW universe. I'd say his design suits him quite well. He looks like a giant ass strongman, and will definitely give Kratos the absolute fight of his life.

Yup pretty apt.

I've actually am a big fan of Norse Myths. I recommend reading the Prose Edda by Carolyne Larrington which is a very accurate modern translation of it, at least of being reasonably priced currently. Of course the Ursula Dronke volumes are probably the most definitive but they are absurdly expensive were of limited print. It's unfortunate she passed away before she could release the 4th Volume.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn. I wanted a thin Thor with biker shorts who was a vegan. And to think I was looking forward to this game. Thanks a lot SSM.

/s if not completely obvious.
Agreed, I can't play this game until they redesign Thor and I can tell from the shadow of his farts in the crisp morning air that he's from Portland, Oregon.

Jun 2, 2019
Hell i didn't even see the tráiler and i love the game just because Thor's design. Not only is faithful to the norse mithology, it's realistic too.

I'm putting the first PS4 GoW in my list of priorities now

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I really like fat Thor, but love hairy fat Thor design. Weird how a little change makes it 100x better, but hairy fat Thor is perfect.