• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
E-7eoR7WUAgDMru
LOL

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
The same people putting out angry videos and harassing the devs about this depiction of Thor, are doing the same because Angbroda is a Black girl. This is less about the MCU, and more about the fact that white supremacists have appropriated Norse/Viking imagery, and are deeply concerned with how these mythological figures are portrayed.

Mar 6, 2021
body shaming is ok now?

It has been one of the last things that people feel open to ridicule. Reddit for instance is against bullying but making fun of people for being fat is ok. Which sucks, and I've tried to point that out. Weight gain isn't always about being lazy. Mine was tied to medication and depression. We have sympathy for drug addicts but not food addicts which is ridiculous as both can serve the same purpose.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
The same people putting out angry videos and harassing the devs about this depiction of Thor, are doing the same because Angbroda is a Black girl. This is less about the MCU, and more about the fact that white supremacists have appropriated Norse/Viking imagery, and are deeply concerned with how these mythological figures are portrayed.
Yeah, you might actually have a point there. I forgot about how the alt-right decided it was norse themed and appropriated their symbolism.

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the design, I really do hate how a lot of it just seems to be fatphobia.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
It has been one of the last things that people feel open to ridicule. Reddit for instance is against bullying but making fun of people for being fat is ok. Which sucks, and I've tried to point that out. Weight gain isn't always about being lazy. Mine was tied to medication and depression. We have sympathy for drug addicts but not food addicts which is ridiculous as both can serve the same purpose.

Also weird considering in the us the majority of the population is overweight.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
As someone whose played OW since launch, I don't really agree. "busy" tends to imply there there is an overload of noise to signal in the visual design, which is one thing that the OW character do not have really. To an extent, their gameplay depends on it, as the game only works since each character is so distinctive. I will agree there is SOME noise, but mostly below the belt area, where Roadhog has a skull cannister or spikes on his boots, which is something most people don't notice at a glance. But upper body, he has effectively just a couple significant pieces.

Meanwhile, I would call Baldur's design far busier, because, like, it's he's just got a mess of random tattooes over his body. The most distinctive one is the circular one around his right pec, but otherwise, I doubt most people could remember anything specific on his body based off memory alone. If he only had a few, people would remember them more distinctly.
What I was trying to say about Roadhog is that his design was busy - but not exactly noisy, sorry if a worded that poorly. I don't think it's noisy, but that's because the cartoony style allows for more stuff before becoming confusing. I do agree that Baldur's tattoos are a lot, I don't remember any specific one, but I do remember they glow. I guess that's what they were going for, mostly.

With Thor, for instance, the design is very busy, it's not simplistic, but it's not noisy either. It's not just meaningless detail, it's the kind of detail you'd expect on leather, and fabric and metal buckles, etc. And the belly is there to make it more distinct and balance out all that fine detail. And, to me, it works, it's just smooth, pale skin that contrasts nicely with the rugged, dark leather on the rest of hist body.

I think this is also why they opted to not give him body hair - one would expect that, but that would also make it busy, which wouldn't look good.

Well, lets wait and see, since Mimir did already mock his weight in the first game, and GoW isn't exactly known for depicting it's antagonists in a sympathetic light.
I think Mimir mocking his weight is one thing, and the character being presented as someone who is bad because they are fat is another. It's how the game presents the character and not exactly how other characters react to them. The article in the OP gives a great example of what not to do, which is Resident Evil 8's portrayal of the merchant. It's just entirely made to make being fat a negative thing. I don't see this with Thor, so far.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021

Really good point. 100% agree

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the belt we see on him is the belt, or just a normal one. The one we see here doesn't stand out much.

I'd love it if during our fight we have the upper hand on him. And he throws on his double strength belt and proceeds to kick Kratos' ass.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The Thor at the end of GoW is more put together, looks more like a leader, a tough confident bastard who still has his head on.

This Thor looks like a fucking bully, a mean nihilistic piece of shit out of his glory years who now spends his time drunk and stinking on the couch while he gaslights and abuses his family. It's great.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
anyone bothered by this is a vampire or undead, or any other kind of being without a life, really.

Jan 11, 2018
Not a fan of the design myself, but it has nothing to do with him being fat. Hades design was freaking incredible, and he had a big belly on him as well.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
We already know what type of people are making the videos decrying how this is a travesty. If you're not a part of that crew, perform the effort to shut that shit down instead of doubling down.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
He looks cool, didn't see much negativity.

He looks like he can fuck shit up. Looks like a strong-man contender from Europe.

And in the GoW you could already see he had some weight to him.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think this Thor fits the description of him in Mimir's stories perfectly.
It's also fitting and very funny that there's such a big difference of him and his big, heroic statue, lol.

Why would people care about what he looks like?

Caring about how other people look is the favorite pastime of people.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Mimir basically called Thor a fat dobber, what did people expect him to look like? Spider-Man? Terminator? Or someone that compete in strength competitions like GOT The Mountain, that looks like they have some weight to go along with the muscle to help in pulling, pushing, and actually making that muscle more useful than just show?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
What I was trying to say about Roadhog is that his design was busy - but not exactly noisy, sorry if a worded that poorly. I don't think it's noisy, but that's because the cartoony style allows for more stuff before becoming confusing. I do agree that Baldur's tattoos are a lot, I don't remember any specific one, but I do remember they glow. I guess that's what they were going for, mostly.

With Thor, for instance, the design is very busy, it's not simplistic, but it's not noisy either. It's not just meaningless detail, it's the kind of detail you'd expect on leather, and fabric and metal buckles, etc. And the belly is there to make it more distinct and balance out all that fine detail. And, to me, it works, it's just smooth, pale skin that contrasts nicely with the rugged, dark leather on the rest of hist body.

I think this is also why they opted to not give him body hair - one would expect that, but that would also make it busy, which wouldn't look good.

I think pointing out the intricacies of his leather and straps and so on isn't so much an intended complexity to his design so much as, once you get to a certain level of graphical fidelity, you just kind of need a more detailed depiction of artifacts in your game for it to look believable. I try to judge signal to noise by what my minds eye can see as distinctive without necessarily looking closely to examine the deeper visual complexity on display.

To put a cap on this, another thing about Roadhog's design is that it also says something about his character. Like, his tattoo indicates both a fondness for his name sake and his sense of humor, with the same being for his belt buckle. His spiked tire shoulder pad is indicative how he has to use scrap he finds to create makeshift armor where he can. Whereas Thor's leather isn't unique to him, it's just sort of the general clothing article of the area he lives in. Even Kratos is walking around wearing leather for it's pure utility factor. Same thing with his tattooes, we don't know what they mean and seemingly every Aesir has some, so why not make Thor's distinguishing?

Even if you're worried that adding more details to his design would make him look busier, I think it'd be a worth while tradeoff if it gave us characterization in turn.

I think Mimir mocking his weight is one thing, and the character being presented as someone who is bad because they are fat is another. It's how the game presents the character and not exactly how other characters react to them. The article in the OP gives a great example of what not to do, which is Resident Evil 8's portrayal of the merchant. It's just entirely made to make being fat a negative thing. I don't see this with Thor, so far.

Well...yes and no. True, we need to actually see what his character is like, but tbh, we haven't been given any reason to doubt Mimir's and others words that he's basically a monster with no redeeming qualities. Which I hope turns out not to be the case, but while you can argue the game isn't explicitly saying that Thor is bad because he's fat, the game would still be associating the aspects. Consider this: If you were playing a game and you encountered a jewish character, and he happened to be greedy and evil, would you say that the game wasn't playing into anti-semitic stereotypes just because the game wasn't explicit about him being greedy and evil because he's jewish?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see so many people say that this is actually closer to the mythology but is that actually true? In that Mythology video IGN posted the expert said that there were rarely detailed depiction of the gods in the myths, and that people 100 years later might have already had a completely different picture of what Odin looks like. Basically, it's up to interpretation

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I see so many people say that this is actually closer to the mythology but is that actually true? In that Mythology video IGN posted the expert said that there were rarely detailed depiction of the gods in the myths, and that people 100 years later might have already had a completely different picture of what Odin looks like.
No. All they have going for them is like "He liked to eat and drink a lot" which is a bad basis for it since it's not like it's physically possible for a normal sized man to eat and drink as much as he does, so figuring he'd be fat as a result of it is just kind of cartoon thinking.

You could argue that ancient peoples didn't idealize the chiseled look that the greco-romans and now modern day people did, so they would not have thought of the traditional sculpted physique as the ideal male body image, but the truth is that there weren't really body/power builders around then either, so the typical physique of the warrior would be maybe barrel chested, but it's up in the air if that's what the ideal physique was for them or if they had made up ideas of what it was like we do.

All I can say is that before this, I never, not once, in any discussion of the last 30 years that I've seen on Norse mythology ever had anyone go "Okay, but Thor was actually fat, you know". It just literally never came up.

doing a quick google search, and the oldest depiction of thor is this islandic manuscript from the 18th century. It might have been anglicized as well, but it's the farthest back authentic source i've been able to find.

S%C3%81M_66%2C_77v%2C_Thor.jpg

He doesn't look particularly fat to me.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
That is closer to the mythological version of Thor so I dont see the problem.
Were did it say this though? He was a heavy eater and drinker but he was never imaged as being "big/bulky" like this image shows.

Santo Monica went their own way and i applaud them for it, it's a cool look, but like other things they take the pantheons with a grain of salt and use it as a platform to tell their own story.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Through the years the images of Thor were heroic and presented the ideal body for a god albeit some slight variations of course.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Loving the design, mjolnir looks great as well much closer to Norse mythology than the MCU mjolnir.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I see so many people say that this is actually closer to the mythology but is that actually true? In that Mythology video IGN posted the expert said that there were rarely detailed depiction of the gods in the myths, and that people 100 years later might have already had a completely different picture of what Odin looks like.
it's not true and it's dumb to bring up any kind of "accurate to mythology" argument in regards to God of War, it was never accurate from the jump