• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...th-stranding-pc-60fps-was-the-original-vision

Eurogamer said:
Relatively speaking, Death Stranding does have a much higher baseline graphics spec, with the RX 560 and GTX 1050 3GB suggested in the reviewer's guide for 720p (!) gaming at a minimum of 30fps. Interestingly, the RX 560 is effectively more powerful than the base PS4, which runs the game at native 1080p. In our tests, we found that the Radeon RX 580 proved effective at delivering 1080p at 60 frames per second, so I suspect that the minimum GPU specs are likely wider-ranging than the recommendations suggested. The AMD card delivers a 12 per cent advantage over GTX 1060, which mostly runs at 60fps or higher but can dip beneath.

Eurogamer said:
Resolution has by far the biggest impact on performance, and at least there are some innovative options here. AMD's contrast adaptive shading renders at 75 per cent of the native resolution in both vertical and horizontal axes, then sharpens the image based on contrast at minimal cost. The results are broadly OK, but are totally eclipsed by Nvidia DLSS 2.0 support. Performance and quality options are available, using AI upscaling from 50 per cent to 67 per cent respectively, again on both axes. This allows an overclocked RTX 2060 to hit 4K60 in performance mode (!) while the quality preset delivers better-than-native image quality. Nvidia's so impressed with the results, it's bundling Death Stranding with RTX GPUs.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I feel would be missing on PC is the controls - having shoulder buttons mapped to lean works so well to put you in Sam's shoes. If you play with mouse/keyboard I don't think you get that same tactile feeling. This is one game you probably have to play with a controller on PC to get the full experience.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
They say the quality preset for DLSS has better than Native image quality. Really curious to see that.

DLSS 2.0 is insane.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
The only thing I feel would be missing on PC is the controls - having shoulder buttons mapped to lean works so well to put you in Sam's shoes. If you play with mouse/keyboard I don't think you get that same tactile feeling. This is one game you probably have to play with a controller on PC to get the full experience.
Q E is to lean =}

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
When playing on PS4 it really felt like this game and it's gameplay would shine on a monitor with headphones. Just zone out and make your deliveries. Super excited to play again and try for 100% this time on PC.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

Lean has been done before on PC. I can remember it in Crysis.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm looking forward to playing it again -- much slower this time. I tried to blast through it to get the whole narrative done to not get spoiled, and I think that's the absolute wrong way to play it. Can't wait to slowly wander around some gorgeous Iceland-esque landscapes.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Mentioned here:
"Right now, we are really focused on the PC version of Death Stranding, so we can't really say anything for the PS5," says Akio Sakamoto. "But once we take a little breath after launching the PC version, we would surely like to look into it deeper, and hope to let everyone know once we come to some decisions."
PS5 is obviously capable technically. But as always with consoles, you're at the mercy of the developer to release a patch etc.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Cant wait for benchmarks. This would be the game that would exhibit a boost from specific console optimization. And since visuals dont scale above the console its a perfect game to compare.

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the choice of API, another key factor in the success of the Death Stranding port is how Kojima Productions have migrated the game to more modern CPU architectures. Based on our understanding of Decima based on visits to Guerrilla HQ, the engine is built around a 30 frames per second update, meaning that any spare CPU cycles within the 33ms per-frame render time are put to use predictively in streaming in world data. In our tests, Death Stranding could at over 120 frames per second using nothing more than a Core i5 8400.

Holy shit, WHAT? This is incredible for an open world game.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I've played it on the recommended requirements (i5 8400/ GTX1060 6GB/16GB RAM) and played it like a dream, with some casual dips below 60fps here and there, but mostly even higher than that. It really feels like the definitive version of this game.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
DLSS is going to leave the consoles behind. It will be in the ps5 pro and Xbox series X pro mid gen refresh.

AMD has to get there version of this out otherwise it won't matter how good it's cards are, they will get beat by less powerful gpu's

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
DLSS only works/makes sense in higher resolutions than 1080p, right?
In a sense. lol

It's not that it doesn't make sense at lower resolutions.. it's just that the more information they have to work with (ie the higher the resolution) the better the results will be.

But I would argue that the real challenge, and goal is utilizing extremely low resolutions and getting solid 1080p-1440p looking results from that.

The idea isn't JUST to improve performance for higher end GPUs.. it's to enable games to function on lower end GPUs as well, thus broadening the potential market.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Beyond the choice of API, another key factor in the success of the Death Stranding port is how Kojima Productions have migrated the game to more modern CPU architectures. Based on our understanding of Decima based on visits to Guerrilla HQ, the engine is built around a 30 frames per second update, meaning that any spare CPU cycles within the 33ms per-frame render time are put to use predictively in streaming in world data. In our tests, Death Stranding could at over 120 frames per second using nothing more than a Core i5 8400. The exception is engine-driven cutscenes, which are unfortunately capped at 60fps.
This paragraph confuses me the heck out of me, does this mean the game is still only updating at 30hz internally? If you're running above 30FPS, it's not 33ms per frame anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Dictator has hinted that the DLSS implementation in this game is really good. I can't wait to see it.

Smart of Nvidia to bundle this game with RTX cards this month, if it's a good showpiece for that tech.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I wonder how high my fps will get at 1080p with my RTX 2080. I really want to push this 240Hz screen.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I feel that way about the majority of non first-person shooter console ports; that I end up playing on a 65'' OLED from the couch anyway.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
My 1080 is crying, I need that DLSS goodness :,(
Well, gonna give the AMD thingy a spin, because I very much doubt I can push 4K UW at 60fps. Get on with those 30xx cards, NV

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
DLSS only works/makes sense in higher resolutions than 1080p, right?

It makes sense to use in 1080p if you are targeting the highest performance possible or high ray tracing presets (which are not available in Decima Engine).

Since Death Stranding is about visual spectacle.... I would use DLSS to boost internal resolution to the maximum at 60 fps.

I'm interested if someone can play Death Stranding at 8K and 60 fps on some stupid rig like RTX 2080 Ti or SLI.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hmm, this interesting:

One thing we should stress is that some older DX12 graphics cards will not the run game. We were keen on try the PC version of Death Stranding using a 4GB version of the R9 270X - the closest PC equivalent to the original PS4's GPU. However, the game demands a minimum of the DX12 12_0 feature set, and first-gen GCN cards top out at the 11_1 feature level. According to Kojima Productions, DX12's tiled resources feature is used in Death Stranding for improved GPU memory management.

So GPUs like the 7970/50 and the refreshed R9 280/X won't be able to run the game. Gotta admit, they had a good run man, the 7970 launched in January 2012, predating the current generation consoles while also being more powerful than them. I wonder if Horizon Zero Dawn will have the same requirement when it launches on PC?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Lean has been done before on PC. I can remember it in Crysis.

I mean I know lean can be done on PC this is no MW2 meme but Q/E for lean would be terrible in this game. Each shoulder button maps to each hand, so you use them both to hold an item in your hand (hold the button gripped to keep holding the item) and also pull on your back strap to lean. You have to do this constantly throughout the game and the actions correspond directly to Sam's movements. The game would be unplayable if those were mapped to q/e. You need one button per hand, F/mouse1 would probably be the closest experience. I'm still double dipping on PC and I'm a diehard m/kb guy but this is one instance where it can't work as well.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I've played it on the recommended requirements (i5 8400/ GTX1060 6GB/16GB RAM) and played it like a dream, with some casual dips below 60fps here and there, but mostly even higher than that. It really feels like the definitive version of this game.

What resolution if you don't mind me asking?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its a shame this game isn't launching along with the next gen gpu but I will just take it anyway. Gonna see how this playstation game plays with better performance tomorrow and see the real vision of Kojima Pro

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I wonder how high my fps will get at 1080p with my RTX 2080. I really want to push this 240Hz screen.

If you were willing to go with 1080p DLSS Quality Mode, that would look about as good as native with performance a little lower than if you were at 720p. You probably won't get 240fps, but you'll get one hell of a smooth image, especially with G-Sync.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
As people can see our Video is not live while Part of the article is - our Video will go live tomorrow. I am not happy that the video cannot go live today. Video has been ready for a week...

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
As people can see our Video is not live while Part of the article is - our Video will go live tomorrow. I am not happy that the video cannot go live today. Video has been ready for a week...

Is it a scheduling issue, as in something else is scheduled to go live today? I am looking forward to see your analysis.

Edit: Or maybe an embargo?