• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Lmao, what's next? Downloading this game might burn your house down or something? This game really is the gift that keeps on giving. Bethesda be like "damn, they beat us on the save file front!"

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
You can check your save files over at:

PC

%userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

PlayStation 4

Settings > Application Saved Data Management > SAVED DATA IN SYSTEM STORAGE > Cyberpunk 2077

PlayStation 5

Settings > STORAGE > [Storage device] >Saved Data > PS4 Games / PS5 Games > Cyberpunk 2077

Xbox One

My Games and Apps > Cyberpunk 2077 > Menu > Manage Game > SAVED DATA

Xbox Series X|S

My Games and Apps > Cyberpunk 2077 > Menu > Manage Game and add-ons > SAVED DATA
I'm on Stadia so I guess I will just stop crafting since I have no way of checking the save data.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder what is going through CDPR's decision making when deciding to release this? Face the wrath for another delay or face the wrath for a half completed game and also lose millions while tarnishing your rep forever.

I don't think a delay would help.

More and more, what's become apparent with CP2077 is that CDPR simply did not have the expertise necessary on their staff to develop a game of this type in any sort of realistic timeframe. They needed to poach talent from a company like Ubisoft or Rockstar to acquire SME designers and programmers who could get them where they needed to be on the project, but apparently didn't; instead they just assumed they could reverse-engineer decades of open world game development in the course of a game development cycle, and this was the result.

The issues this game has are problems that studios who specialize in making open worlds with ambient AI have basically run into and solved at some point over the course of years and years of developing them, and while it's possible to just bumble your way through them without tapping into that enormous knowledge base of already-solved problems, it really isn't practical on a game of this scale.

Like I hate to say it, but if you turned over the source code to Rockstar they could probably have most of this mess sorted in a few months.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Their statement is so perfect for this clusterfuck. "Please try to avoid breaking your game by not collecting things, and we might get a round to raising the limit at some point (not saying we'll fix it, just give you more room!)"

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So is this just determined by how much is in your inventory at any particular moment? Or is it based on how many items you've changed the state of period?

Can you bring the number down by simply stashing or selling items?

In any case, this sounds like another case of a developer failing to anticipate how players would actually play their game. It remains to be seen of CDPR will come to accommodate how people are actually playing their game.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I love how they don't say how many is too many. How are people supposed to know when to stop? Or whether it's "okay" to pick something up when you're actually miles from the limit and don't know it?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
They should pull the game off the market, refund people, go back to drawing board. or better, cancel this game completely for the next year.

what a joke of a company, it is pure amateur hour.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
every day is a new shit show with this, i've literally thought it can't be topped about 4 times already and i'm always proved wrong

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is literally the worst bug of all time.

Jesus Christ. I'm sorry - the devs DO deserve some blame here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
If you remove an item from your inventory such as when you convert it into crafting materials or selling it / dropping it, wouldn't be smart to remove any scraps of data associated with said items since they are no longer in your inventory or occupying space on your character sheet.

Or some kind of kill / flush command that removes any remnants.

I know you can do this in Skyrim via console commands, like dead bodies can be totally unloaded from the world space. After a period of time the world state can even reset which effects enemy bandit camp spawns reloading. Essentially clearing a cache so dirty data isn't accumulated which leads to save bloat.

Some sort of utility which allows you clean your save from extraneous pointless data would do the trick, no?

Such a limitation seems to do nothing but punish a player for picking up objects and using them as intended. It seems the fix here is to allow the game to address save files larger than 8mb instead of treating them as corrupt. Hell 8mb seems a super small limit to begin with.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Stadia so I guess I will just stop crafting since I have no way of checking the save data.

This is what I found.

Found it on Google Stadia your Save games are in Google Takeout. –
https://takeout.google.com/?pli=1

Only check mark Stadia by the bottom and then download/export the save files.

Your saves should be in \Takeout\Stadia\GAMING\GAME_SAVE from the downloaded zip.

If you want to export your latest save to your pc then from the long list of zips extract the one with the highest number, in my case Cyberpunk 2077_1024_gamesave.zip.

Rename the extracted folder ManualSave-1 and place it in %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077 on your pc. Replace anything that is still there. You can now load it from the game.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
A RPG where you have literally thousands of dots everywhere for players to pick up and crafting systems to create new, more powerful items... and they are asking people NOT to do that?

WHAT?

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I checked my save file on the XSX earlier today after hearing about this and it's currently 48 MB, so it's seemingly a PC-only bug for now...I'm still going to keep saving before and after I do any mission though!

senj

Nov 6, 2017
IDK this reads like gibberish to me. Witcher 3 had issues with slowdown with huge inventories but I've never heard of a save file being capped at 8 megs.

Why would you give each identical item in a stack its own ID instead of making a stack an ID, count tuple? And how big are these item IDs? 32-bit integer IDs would allow for just under 4.3 billion unique items, my initial save file is around 2.5 megs – figure even half the remaining space could be consumed by integers and that's, what, an inventory limit of 350,000 unique items? And why wouldn't consoles run into this issue if it's fundamental to the nature of the engine's item IDs? This seems like an ass-pull from someone who knows just enough jargon to sound convincing to laypeople.

The bug here seems like it's probably much simpler – hard coded an 8 meg max on the output buffer and lost data at the tail end of the file during write, making it unrecoverable.

edit: as part of the explanation, the mod quotes someone who says their save file went up in size by 3 Megs after crafting 1000 of an item. Taken at face value this would imply that a single individual itemID or inventory entry consumes 3,146 bytes, which is just incredibly unbelievable.

Last edited:

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I may be misremembering but wasn't Skyrim's issue that it would save tiny changes to the world? So if you knocked a bucket in a store, it would save that and every time you enter the store it has to load that state

Sep 7, 2020
Yo, like seriously? What the fuck happened with this game? I haven't seen anything like this for a highly anticipated game like this before.

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
ImmaculateDownrightCrustacean-size_restricted.gif

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I would've been fine waiting another year for this game if this is what they deliver, I'am on PS5 so not sure if I should be worried.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even played CP2077 but it's the most entertaining game all year for me

LMAO. I preordered it, but haven't played one fucking second of it due to wanting to wait until at least a month's worth of patches were out. Looks like I'm going to have to keep waiting.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Maybe they didn't make the main story shorter because so many didn't finish Witcher 3, they made it shorter so people would have a fighting chance of beating the game before their save corrupts.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Will have to check my game size when I am back at my pc. Doubt it is nearing 8 mb but better safe than sorry.

And wow at that post from the moderator. That is almost victim blaming, they sound mad that people play an RPG with a lot of junk to pick up by... picking up a lot of junk?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Glad someone made a thread of this. Watch this video from YongYea, truly the craziest shit I've ever seen.

By the way CDPR, if having too many items crashes your game, how about putting a LIMIT on the amount of any particular item a person can carry? You know, like any fucking half decent game does to avoid such issues. What in the actual fuck.

What an oddly snippy response from that guy.

"well yeah but...you're playing the game wrong. Just restart."

May 19, 2020
funny to see yongyea now riding the cyberpunk drama alert/sinking ship media train after he was a hypebeast for the game for months, dude is truly a feckless hack lol

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is an absolute joke. What happened at CDPR? Has a game ever released with this many issues? Did the devs that worked on Witcher 3 just leave after being told they had to crunch even harder for CP2077? Christ.
Supposedly it's fairly well-known in the industry that CDPR has a high turnover rate.

askagamedev.tumblr.com

Ask a Game Dev

Do you have any opinions on the Cyberpunk 2077 launch? The writing was on the wall when they announced the delay after going gold. The warning signs were already there before then - CDPR is fairly...

askagamedev.tumblr.com

Ask a Game Dev

Not the original asker, but re: the cyberpunk launch question. Would you have some sources on hand for the crunch culture at cdpr, even during the dev for Witcher 2 and 3? Not because I think it’s...

The bug here seems like it's probably much simpler – hard coded an 8 meg max on the output buffer and lost data at the tail end of the file during write, making it unrecoverable.
This was my first assumption. It would also explain why a future patch wouldn't fix previously corrupted files.