• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
So many good options. I would love to see Blaster Master: Enemy Below get released. I think it has a good chance considering the NES one is there. The GB/GBC definitely had an amazing lineup of classic titles so I'll be excited if some of these make their way to Switch Online. I recently upped my subscription to three years.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I wonder if they would make online/local multiplayer work. Would be worth it for that alone.

It could depend on the game and how the emulation is handled, a few games had local multiplayer when using a Super Game Boy others only could get it done with a link cable(or the IR port on GBC games).

I'll take Dragon Warrior Monsters

Square-Enix being Square-Enix may just sell the mobile port that's exclusive to Japan currently.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
To the list of possible games, I'll add that one of the Puyo Puyo GB/GBC games could a good choice for an import.

Also, we finally get news that Nintendo may be releasing a new system for NSO, and we immediately get all the hot takes that "These games are not worth playing anymore".

I swear, SMH.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd imagine this'll be announced in a Direct, probably like last time (inbetween the "Headines" they usually do).

There's a lot of GB games I'd want to revisit, so this could be neat.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
I guess its true what they say about the Nintendo Direct being held off until next week not to compete for attention against the Sony showcase

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
i realized how little people care about retro games on this forum when people were pissed when Konami announced the Turbo mini.
lol people were pissed about that? The TG16 mini is awesome, and I say that as someone who never owned one in the first place, you could make a serious case for it being the best of the official mini consoles that have come out in the last few years. The most nostalgia I have for that console are the Johnny Turbo comics and random tidbits gleaned from the internet, like that it was weirdly successful in Japan and had an exclusive Castlevania and stuff like that. People are crazy, man.

I will say I'm not exactly lit up by the prospect of GB/GBC games on NSO, I'm very much a "I'd be more excited if they included GBA" kind of guy here, but I wouldn't be actively upset by its inclusion either.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
???

Those are the games that launched with the SNES app.
Screen-Shot-2019-09-04-at-3.30.23-PM.png

And those with the NES app
UIsWPq7.png

That's like the vast majority of Nintendo's own output, that people care about, on each console. Just admit you're talking out of your ass for reactions.

It won't have *everything* at launch because it's supposed to be a continous rollout but the people that expect to get three Nintendo games and 17 fillers are frankly far more wild and ignorant than the other ones. Link's Awakening is two years old and is given away in the Game & Watch, zero reasons it couldn't be in the service.

And no games is "given away" for free, you pay for the service.
I agree with your overall point, but it is worth remembering that the NES launch lineup was missing most notable sequels (SMB3 is the only exception) and the SNES didn't really have a comparable situation. Mario didn't have 4 platformers on the SNES. Zelda only had one entry. The few games that did have sequels were missing (Kirby Superstar) if you count Yoshi's Island as its own thing instead of a Mario World sequel. DKC took over a year to fully come aboard, though that does look like more of a license issue given all 3 were spaced 2-3 months apart each once the first one came 10 months after launch.

On the Game Boy, we have 2 Mario Lands, 3 Wario Lands, 3 Donkey Kong Lands, 3 Zeldas, and 2 Kirbys - not to mention the Pokemons. Assuming we start with 20 again and a focus on variety like in the past, it's not unreasonable to assume it'll take longer to get every entry in all of these franchises than it did for the other two systems.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with your overall point, but it is worth remembering that the NES launch lineup was missing most notable sequels (SMB3 is the only exception) and the SNES didn't really have a comparable situation. Mario didn't have 4 platformers on the SNES. Zelda only had one entry. The few games that did have sequels were missing (Kirby Superstar) if you count Yoshi's Island as its own thing instead of a Mario World sequel. DKC took over a year to fully come aboard, though that does look like more of a license issue given all 3 were spaced 2-3 months apart each once the first one came 10 months after launch.

On the Game Boy, we have 2 Mario Lands, 3 Warios Lands, 3 Donkey Kong Lands, 3 Zeldas, and 2 Kirbys - not to mention the Pokemons. Assuming we start with 20 again and a focus on variety like in the past, it's not unreasonable to assume it'll take longer to get every entry in all of these franchises than it did for the other two systems.

I fully agree with this reasoning. It would be unwise to fill a 20-games launch lineup with ten Mario games when the goal is to showcase the system's variety. I believe I was answering to the idea that Nintendo cheaps out on the amount and quality of the titles at the launch of each system's NSO catalogue.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I guess its true what they say about the Nintendo Direct being held off until next week not to compete for attention against the Sony showcase
That's people covering their butts. Doubt it was Sony, more likely it's the us holiday plus a major release plus wanting to be closer to the TGS. We could still see the NSO update announced this week tho

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

On the Game Boy, we have 2 Mario Lands, 3 Wario Lands, 3 Donkey Kong Lands, 3 Zeldas, and 2 Kirbys - not to mention the Pokemons. Assuming we start with 20 again and a focus on variety like in the past, it's not unreasonable to assume it'll take longer to get every entry in all of these franchises than it did for the other two systems.

I fully agree with this reasoning. It would be unwise to fill a 20-games launch lineup with ten Mario games when the goal is to showcase the system's variety. I believe I was answering to the idea that Nintendo cheaps out on the amount and quality of the titles at the launch of each system's NSO catalogue.
It's true that we likely won't see everything dumped onto the service all at once, but we'll probably get a good selection of the better-known titles. Mario Land 1, Donkey Kong 94, Link's Awakening (DX?), Metroid 2, the first Kirby game, maybe Wario Land II all seem like strong Day 1 contenders. I imagine we'll also see one or two of the Pokemon spin-offs. I'm a little skeptical we'll see any of the mainline series hit the service (it took forever for any of them to come out on 3DS, and when they did they were all at a premium), but it'd make for an insane value proposition for the service if they were made compatible with the Pokemon Home app.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, a month before the Analouge Pocket release.

No matter, have a feeling that we will be drip fed games again, and by the time we hit GBA it will be time for switch 2 and Nintendo will needlessly switch up the VC equivalent again.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

To be fair, I think all of the Super Mario Land games would be ok upon launch because, much like SMB1, 2 and 3, they're are each so distinctly different from one another-- even if they are technically the same series.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I hope they do, I've been shopping for a game boy just to play vanilla tetris on hardware with a decent D-pad.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The general sentiment in this thread has been absurd, I agree, and I wasn't really arguing with you - just pointing out the differences between the libraries. Just adding on my own caveat to your point, if you will.
It's true that we likely won't see everything dumped onto the service all at once, but we'll probably get a good selection of the better-known titles. Mario Land 1, Donkey Kong 94, Link's Awakening (DX?), Metroid 2, the first Kirby game, maybe Wario Land II all seem like strong Day 1 contenders. I imagine we'll also see one or two of the Pokemon spin-offs. I'm a little skeptical we'll see any of the mainline series hit the service (it took forever for any of them to come out on 3DS, and when they did they were all at a premium), but it'd make for an insane value proposition for the service if they were made compatible with the Pokemon Home app.
Agreed. LA DX is interesting; it was the version that made it to the 3DS VC, but the original is what's on the Game & Watch releasing soon. I feel that makes more sense for an anniversary item and NSO will see DX, but we'll see.

Maybe we'll eventually have both lol.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
Wario Land 2 is still one of the best handheld games ever made.

I hope a NSO release will make the larger community remember this often forgotten gem.

Game Boy (Color) was peak Wario Land IMO.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Same. Don't think it was ever rereleased either (the sequel was, though).

Wait, what? I had the GBC one with the big battery cartridge, was that not the original?

Edit: I'm dumb, read that as released and not rereleased!
I thought I had missed a game, like with TCG2!

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
This is my favorite kind of post in these threads.

TCG2_JP_boxart.jpg

There was, fam, and it's good shit. This, Mario's Super Picross, and For the Frog the Bell Tolls are the closest things the GB(C) had to a Mother 3.
As child I knew of the second, and since I loved the firs one, i was sad It never came to the west.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
If they release the Pokemon games, how am I supposed to catch em all without trading between the different versions? How am I gonna get Magmar into Yellow without Blue, dawg?

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
To be honest, i think i could only replay most of the GB games with a speed up option...

You're right. They have tons of emulators for all their systems. I feel that they number of games that we'll see that are unique is the problem. I don't see enough interesting N64 games to bring over. Both Zeldas are recently ported to 3DS (would be a relatively low-cost port from there to Switch) and Mario 64 just came over.

If you start going down the list of top N64 games, most of them are problematic in some way:

I can see Paper Mario, Wave Race, and then not much until Excitebike 64, Star Fox 64, and F-Zero X.

The list of games that could reasonably come to the service is pretty short. That doesn't even start to touch on controller issues.

Once we get the Switch Successor, that should open up GameCube and Wii which are both treasure troves frankly, but that I would expect to be more of a Virtual Console setup. I imagine with GC and Wii they could set up for use with each of their respective controllers (maybe do a USB Wii Sensor Bar?) and sell the old games on that service.

Most of what's been on the Wii U that's worth porting has been ported. DS and 3DS present dual screen challenges - although an official version of the flip-grip would solve that.

Additionally, for any game where the rights-owner might want too much for it to be on the service that comes with Nintendo Online, Nintendo could frankly let them sell it separately them and provide the emulator. Nintendo get 30% of each sale anyway - well enough for them to provide a reasonable emulator. Hell, a company similar to Hamster (who's doing the Arcade releases) could be a studio that does those types of negotiations and 'ports'.
Going through that list... (ands its rather useless, old games from that era often have a lack of reviews)
Zelda x 2
Mario 64 (yeah, was released, still)
Paper Mario
Wave Race
Mario Tennis
Mario Gold
Exitebike 64
Star Fox 64
F-Zero X
Mario Kart 64
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pilot Wings 64
Smash Bros
Mario Party 1-3
Pokemon Stadium 1/2
Pokemon Snap
Kirby 64
Yoshis Story
1080 Snowboarding
Sin & Puinishment

Thats 20+ good to great games.

Third party that could happen:
Blast Corpse (maybe?)
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Star Wars : Rogue Squadron
Ogre battle
Space Station Silicon Valley
Rayman 2
Bomberman 64/64 2 / Heroes
Mistical Ninja Starring Goemon
Snowboard Kids
Cameleon Twist
Mischief Makers

I mean, you cant expect all Rare games, and not all games mentioned here are 100% realistic... but they also are NOT released in any other way. none of that third party list exist in any form outside of N64(VC).
A lot of the developers are on good therms with nintendo, i could see at least some of them coming to the VC.
And going by the Metacritic score... in that list you dont even have Sin & Punishment or 1080 snowboarding, and mario kart 64 has 83%... yet i can guarantee that a lot of people would love to replay it.

And the First Party list has more games i would like to replay then the NES games ...

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Am I the only one who doesn't see the appeal of playing GB and GBA games on a big screen? I'd much prefer to play these games on a small portable GB or GBA Classic.