• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. I missed racing in beautiful locations, mud filled tracks and vehicular carnage. And to people who might not like this... well we already have DIRT Rally 2.0 for realistic rally experience.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Was never the biggest fan of the series but hearing that this is being handled by the DriveClub/OnRush people has my interest.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
People forgot about Dirt Showdown, huh? Though it was a side venture, you got a idea with where they wanted to go with the Dirt series.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
I played Dirt 2 once for like ten minutes, so I don't have much experience with the series, but this sounds awesome.

Returners

Oct 25, 2017
uu9pmDP.gif

OP
OP
Huey

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Never played Dirt nor MotorStorm lol, can someone put this in context for me please?

Hmm

The DIRT games started on gen 7 as an evolution from the Colin McRae rally series, but with a decidedly more approachable/non-sim handling model and career structure. That evolved further in Dirt 2 and 3. Then DiRT Rally was released as an off shoot as a very simulation-focused, difficult rally game. DIRT 4 meanwhile tried to walk the line between sim and arcade without really doing either justice and DiRT Rally 2.0 continued DR's sim focus. Dirt showdown was released at some point in there as a smaller scale arcade racing game.

Motorstorm on the other hand is a very arcade, physics heavy, wide open track circuit racer with a heavy focus on multiple vehicle types with pluses and minuses each, and multiple routes (each suited to different vehicles). There's a big focus on destruction and chaos, and each game had a different setting/theme.

The motorstorm games were all developed by Evolution studios, a first party sony team that went on to develop driveclub and then get shut down due to... reasons. They were fortunately acquired by codemasters and released OnRush to mixed reviews. There was word as I recall at one point that they were also shuddered under codemasters, but thankfully they've been kept alive as Cheshire studio, which is developing this, hence the motorstorm influence and association.

Realistically, I think the MS associations here are relatively superficial - circuits are still pretty narrow, single route affairs, there's no boost and the vehicles types are a bit broader but still pretty rally focused. So while I would kill for another motorstorm, I don't think anybody should operate under the illusion that this is it. Still, looks great in it's own right.

Oct 24, 2019
Hmm

The DIRT games started on gen 7 as an evolution from the Colin McRae rally series, but with a decidedly more approachable/non-sim handling model and career structure. That evolved further in Dirt 2 and 3. Then DiRT Rally was released as an off shoot as a very simulation-focused, difficult rally game. DIRT 4 meanwhile tried to walk the line between sim and arcade without really doing either justice and DiRT Rally 2.0 continued DR's sim focus. Dirt showdown was released at some point in there as a smaller scale arcade racing game.

Motorstorm on the other hand is a very arcade, physics heavy, wide open track circuit racer with a heavy focus on multiple vehicle types with pluses and minuses each, and multiple routes (each suited to different vehicles). There's a big focus on destruction and chaos, and each game had a different setting/theme.

The motorstorm games were all developed by Evolution studios, a first party sony team that went on to develop driveclub and then get shut down due to... reasons. They were fortunately acquired by codemasters and released OnRush to mixed reviews. There was word as I recall at one point that they were also shuddered under codemasters, but thankfully they've been kept alive as Cheshire studio, which is developing this, hence the motorstorm influence and association.

Realistically, I think the MS associations here are relatively superficial - circuits are still pretty narrow, single route affairs, there's no boost and the vehicles types are a bit broader but still pretty rally focused. So while I would kill for another motorstorm, I don't think anybody should operate under the illusion that this is it. Still, looks great in it's own right.

Awesome, thanks for the nice write-up!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
All I want is a next gen MotorStorm..if this game feels like that then it's a fucking instabuy.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This does appear to be an arcade offroad racing game, but beyond that I don't really see many similarities with Motorstorm in the little gameplay I've seen.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Just love the more arcade direction Dirt 5 is going in. Day one.

And for the Dirt Rally die hards.. I love what Codemasters are doing...they have two teams working on two different audiences.

I wish EA did this with the Madden series. Release a game every other year for that specific audience. With support in between.

Dirt 5 team- not as sim

Dirty Rally team - Sim

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Having watched some of the preview videos, i don't really see the comparisons with Motorstorm. Tracks look rather flat and lack the multiple route option that was one of the key features that made Motorstorm great. Dirt 5 seems like a slightly "wilder" version of the previous Dirt games. It seems much closer to the previous Dirt games than Motorstorm. I loved Motorstorm Pacific Rift so i remain cautiously optimistic about Dirt 5 though. It looks nice visually.

Oct 27, 2017
I have some reservations about this being "like" Motorstorm - I mean, it's fundamentally not exactly the same - but I think the wider point is this seems to be pulling inspiration from all the right places.

I see Motorstorm here. I see Drive Club. I see Sega Rally Revo. Obviously there's Dirt's own history and DNA. That's a nice mix. Could be special, this.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It looks good but I don't get how it could feel like a new Motorstorm, does not look like it could from the videos. Still looks like a great Dirt game, will keep an eye on it.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
This is great news, ive been craving a new motorstorm and this may be the closest thing. Also I wish Sony made a Driveclub 2... but i guess they didn't want to invest in two racer studios.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really happy with this news.

Splitting the series up was the best decision Codemasters made in a long time, something for every type of gamer.

I just wonder what will happy once they get the WRC licence, surely would make more sense for the Rally team to take over that one.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want this to have handling that is more arcade like how Motorstorm. I don't care about boost or anything like that, just don't make the handling sim-like.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
The trailer already gave me that Motorstorm feel so yeah, right into my veins please

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
This ticks that driving game at launch for next gen for me.

Doubt any other driving games will get close.

Would love PSVR support on this with PS5 but probably just wishful thinking.

OP
OP
Huey

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I see Motorstorm here. I see Drive Club. I see Sega Rally Revo. Obviously there's Dirt's own history and DNA. That's a nice mix. Could be special, this.
Yeah I agree. While it's not truly another motorstorm, I'm really glad this team is getting to make another fully featured racing game. OnRush was... interesting, but it was a strange, very specific beast.

I'm a little bummed that Paul Rutchynsky is not involved...