• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
DF are going to have to zoom in a whole 700% to see differences next gen aren't they? Lol.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
So there's no confirmation of a "quality" (native res, RT...) vs a "performance" (60 fps) mode then?

There's a "fidelity" mode and a performance mode, but we don't know what the fidelity mode will have since apparently the game runs at 4k at 60fps (on the performance mode presumably).

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well then you should clearly be able to see a difference between 1440p and native 4k.
I also sit close to my 55" 4k TV . Of course you can see a difference but honestly it's not that big of a difference for me personally. 1800p Vs native 4K on the other hand isn't even noticeable to me.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully devs don't feel like they need to target native 4K and can use dynamic resolution and reconstruction to get better graphics or frame rates instead.

Doesn't bode well for the Xbox Series S though

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if games that otherwise run at resolution / framerate parity between PS5 and Series X will actually be better to be picked up on PS5, given the SSD advantage.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I still don't think either will end up being Native 4k/60fps. For some reason, since both consoles are advertised to have Variable Refresh Rate, I'm thinking it will be 4k/60fps in empty areas and lower resolution and 30-45fps in busy areas.

A 2080ti with a 4.9ghz i7 8700k struggles with Odyssey at 4k

But, who knows.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly native 4K is overrated . 1440p and up with good AA still looks sharp on a 4K screen . I'd rather they target something like 1800p and use the headroom for performance and visual effects.
AC Valhalla comparison is going to be exciting to watch because we will see if PS5 faster SSD can manifest real benefits in an open world game.

Nope. Non-native resolution will always look terrible.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS isn't supported on consoles.
The point is that reconstruction in general can look as good as, or better than, native resolution. Just because they're not using proprietary DLSS tech doesn't mean they can't use something else that does the same thing.

With reconstruction methods available, native 4K is a waste of resources. They just need to not use the shitty reconstruction methods.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I really do not understand why people would think otherwise. The consoles are not that far apart. Do people really think the Series X was going to blow the PS5 away?

I think the question has always just been what sort of tradeoffs the PS5 version might need to do in order to keep up.

In my experience, even an RTX 2080 would be hard-pressed to get 4k60 on modern Assassins Creed games, so getting 4k60 on an even weaker GPU would certainly require tweaking.

My guess is that Ubisoft has just done some nice CPU optimization here, is using Dynamic resolutions (realistically it's up to 4k and 60fps), and/or tweaked shadows, lighting, post processing etc.

I'm looking firward to the Digital Foundry comparisons.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
Even Digital Foundry struggle to tell the difference with some checkerboard techniques, so this is clearly bullshit.
The point is that reconstruction in general can look as good as, or better than, native resolution. Just because they're not using proprietary DLSS tech doesn't mean they can't use something else that does the same thing.

With reconstruction methods available, native 4K is a waste of resources. They just need to not use the shitty reconstruction methods.

It is completely true that a 1440p resolution scaling to 4K looks terrible. The person I was replying to made no mention of checkerboarding or DLSS.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Is this going to be "targeting 60" (aka you only get 60 when looking at the sky or the ground) or will it be real gameplay stable 60? I guess DF will tell us!

Nov 14, 2017
Expected but good to have confirmation, will play it on PS5.

The only console left to confirm 60fps is Series S, very interested if it will it at 1080. or 1440p (dynamic).

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
It's the single biggest difference between the two systems - The PS5's SSD is more than twice as fast as the Xbox's
In regards to the way the games will look and perform (as in frame rates and ray tracing), i would bet that the TF advantage Series X has over PS5 will be much more important than SSD differences between the two systems in almost all cases.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It should be curious to see where the resolution is, whether they use their reconstruction that the engine does (if they do, how), and what the settings are like in comparison to what we see on PC.

These games at higher settings are not exactly doable at 4K 60.

I suspect publishers saying the word "4K" rather often, even though it is not exactly 100% the exact same thing as 4K as we might term it.
Perhaps the PS5 and Series X versions aren't running at 'ultra' PC settings in order to hit 4K. The article seems to indicate Ubisoft clarifies it's actual 4K:

Und zwar volle 4K-Auflösung, wie man betont, was man ja auch erwarten kann.

"By which they mean true 4k resolution, as they stressed, which should be expected."

In any case, AC Origins and Odyssey are 2-3 years old now. Would make sense they probably optimized the engine since then?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It should be curious to see where the resolution is, whether they use their reconstruction that the engine does (if they do, how), and what the settings are like in comparison to what we see on PC.

These games at higher settings are not exactly doable at 4K 60.

I suspect publishers saying the word "4K" rather often, even though it is not exactly 100% the exact same thing as 4K as we might term it.
I am expecting dynamic resolution on both consoles: (up to) native 4K.

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017

For the records I have a lot of friends from Ubi that are working on the game. They are pushing both hardware hard for this title. They are also using properly DualSense and because of this the PS5 version can potentially be the best version of AC:V. You can also expect 4K with RT on the PS5 version of the new WD. Ubi will deliver on both games on the next-gen hardware.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps the PS5 and Series X versions aren't running at 'ultra' PC settings in order to hit 4K. The article seems to indicate Ubisoft clarifies it's actual 4K:

Und zwar volle 4K-Auflösung, wie man betont, was man ja auch erwarten kann.

"By which they mean true 4k resolution, as they stressed, which should be expected."

In any case, AC Origins and Odyssey are 2-3 years old now. Would make sense they probably optimized the engine since then?

That's where I wish they would give us a choice. I would rather have a lower resolution mode with max settings myself.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt it will be native 4k, but that's okay. I suspect most differences between X and PS5 will stream from resolution.

I only have a base ps4, so I'm super excited to see what 4k gaming looks like.