• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Not taking it personally at all. Just testing my vulgarization skills as a newly graduated engineer. They appear to suck.
I'm not talking about asset duplication (only mentioned it in the first comment). Not talking about file system blocks either. The PS5 video at that specific timestamp talks about what used to take so long installing updates on PS4, and how the SSD fixes it for PS5, so it's absolutely relevant.
I'm not talking about how you update one file (in-place modification vs. creating a new file). I'm talking about the fact that if a file exists within a chunk that needs to remain contiguous for loading purposes (one seek time to grab the whole chunk and copy it to RAM), the whole chunk gets affected if the file size increases after you modify it. I'm really not going to continue arguing this.
OK, so this is a PS4 file update process, not a PS5 process. That's the key thing you need to keep in mind. The process is designed around working on a mechanical HDD, having an SSD during this point only makes the file copies faster, nothing else. The video you linked to explains why the PS5 process can be different for Sony.

You're too focussed on the bytes and not the process. Sony wholesale duplicate files on the file system to modify them. Xbox modify them in place, this process can happen in memory and you then write the modified change back to disk. That's why the PS4 needs so much space to apply a patch and why the Xbox doesn't. Nothing more nothing less. Anyone with an Xbox can validate this for you, you can even validate it yourself.

Edit: You know what, you're right, no point arguing this. PS4 needs 107GB, Xbox doesn't, that's the simple truth of it. We can argue technicalities all day but you don't have an Xbox, won't accept that the Xbox doesn't need that much space whilst the PS4 does despite it being a well known issue then I'm not sure I can convince you outside of coming to your house with an Xbox and actually showing you how it works.

Last edited:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there's plenty of 3-game combinations that don't fit in a 500GB Playstation. This isn't a CoD thing. I think the biggest issue is Sony's crappy design requiring up to 2x the size of whatever you want to download in free space. Having 80GB free and hearing "you don't have room for this 50GB download" is just garbage.

it's two games, not three. there is no line demarcating modern warfare and warzone -- the game doesn't let you play modern warfare without also installing warzone. they've segregated the different data packs into warzone, campaign, multiplayer, specops, and survival, but the warzone pack is required no matter what.
at least you can play warzone/mw without BOCW though.

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
Pretty sure it does. It's a drawback of having a HDD, and is a problem fixed by the SSD in both new gen consoles.

Cerny actually explained this with detail. Because of seek times on a HDD, data has to be in well defined chunks to be loaded in time (ie. one level's data shouldn't be scattered all around the disk, but contiguous). This leads to two things that games have: duplicated assets (Spider-man has 400 copies of a trash can asset, one for every chunk of the world), and bloated patches where the data you're adding has to be added in a specific place, so you have to move and copy the other data around it.

For games made for this gen, they won't have to worry about seek times (non-existent on SSDs). So patches are copied directly, and game assets no longer require duplication. We're still living in the cross-gen world so we'll have to tolerate this for a little while longer.
That is a diffrent thing. That the reason the game is big in the first place. What I mean is that PS4 need more free space when Installing games or Updates. When game gets a 20GB Patch you need at least 40GB free on your PS4. From my expirience when I get an 20GB Update on Xbox I only need the 20GB free.

Oct 27, 2017
So why not set up a team focused on trimming it?

There is clearly issues here. Activision is a big enough company to afford fixing this mess.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an Xbox, but based on how HDDs work, it should be the same as PS4.
It isn't the same. On Xbox (or Switch, for that matter), you just need the free space your actual download requires.

This is an issue nobody else has, and people have been asking Sony to change it for years now.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Fuck off. You know what systems people have. Work with it in mind, or you're bad at your job.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Unfortunately it will only get bigger with more seasons as news skins, weapons, etc will be added. All these 4k skins man...

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Given the standard size of a ps5, this is just stupid. Learn to compress your fucking games, other developers can do it.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's pretty clever. CoD fans will simply be unable to ever migrate to another GaaS. Of course it's deterring more casual fans, but I assume these don't bring in the extra recurring investments.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Honestly even beyond the file size the implementation is dog shit, randomy my xbox will stop recognizing I own Modern Warfare (physical, even though I own the disk) to the point i need to reboot it and hope i don't have to reinstall which ive done in the past.

Tying all the titles together feels less about asset sharing, more about making a fake ass COD hub when you sign on advertising for the other games. No reason me, as just a Modern Warfare owner, has to deal with a whole game launch process that's all about selling me on their new title until I manually select Modern Warfare. Bitch, the game i want to play is in the disk drive, why are you telling me to purchase Cold War?

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
The PS5 storage isn't that much bigger so if they don't do anything, that might run into the same issues eventually.
I guess this is true but the patch copying process on PS4 makes it much worse than what it is now on PS5 since the PS4 recopies the entire game to apply the patch.

That screenshot is clearly taken from a PS5. I guess, it`s the same for both consoles.
Yes, I'm confused too. The screenshots are from a PS5 but the article talks about the 500Go of a PS4.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do Activision do this intentionally? So gamers simply don't have space for other games? Either way, they need to sort this out.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I suspect this is a case of Activision being well aware of the issue but not really caring. I'm sure they have created a budget for how much money it would take to improve the issue, but they also believe that doing so wouldn't cause them to sell any more games than they already are. In Activision's mind, if an investment doesn't earn money, it's not worth doing.

They'll make a change when they are forced to, and not a second earlier.

Remember, Activision is run by Bobby Kotick, a guy who doesn't give a shit about gaming whatsoever. This is all about the money for him. It always has been.

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly why the PS5 space was a slap in the face, the games aren't getting smaller.

Actually, some are. Hitman 3 - inclusive of all the next gen upgrades and all of Hitman 1 & 2 - is smaller on PS5 than Hitman 2 is. Doesn't the remastered version of Spider-Man also take up less space than the PS4 game?

The PS5 version of Black Ops also takes up less space on my PS5 than MW does, although admittedly that MW installation does include Warzone.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Actually, some are. Hitman 3 - inclusive of all the next gen upgrades and all of Hitman 1 & 2 - is smaller on PS5 than Hitman 2 is. Doesn't the remastered version of Spider-Man also take up less space than the PS4 game?

The PS5 version of Black Ops also takes up less space on my PS5 than MW does, although admittedly that MW installation does include Warzone.
Its true with control and the spider man remaster as well

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Even as someone who spent quite a lot on cosmetics, I still finally uninstalled it and never plan to go back. It became an impediment to playing other games and I get the feeling that's by design.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Exactly why the PS5 space was a slap in the face, the games aren't getting smaller.

Cold War (without Warzone) is bigger than Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Destruction AllStars & Astro's Playroom combined on my PS5.

This is an extreme case that needs to be addressed - especially on a yearly release cycle with a popular Battle Royale add-on using huge assets from a previous game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 84721

User requested account closure
Nov 5, 2020
User warned: Console war rhetoric
OK, so this is a PS4 file update process, not a PS5 process. That's the key thing you need to keep in mind. The process is designed around working on a mechanical HDD, having an SSD during this point only makes the file copies faster, nothing else. The video you linked to explains why the PS5 process can be different for Sony.
Yep. My initial statement was this won't be the case for games designed with the SSD in mind.

You're too focussed on the bytes and not the process. Sony wholesale duplicate files on the file system to modify them. Xbox modify them in place, this process can happen in memory and you then write the modified change back to disk. That's why the PS4 needs so much space to apply a patch and why the Xbox doesn't. Nothing more nothing less. Anyone with an Xbox can validate this for you, you can even validate it yourself.
Again, if the file you're modifying is inside a chunk that needs to remain contiguous, shifting things around is necessary. Maybe Xbox defers it later and does it during down time (like rest mode) and more efficiently (it's not always needed but maybe PS4 systematically does it while Xbox only does it when it's actually needed), but seek times are seek times.

Edit: You know what, you're right, no point arguing this. PS4 needs 107GB, Xbox doesn't, that's the simple truth of it. We can argue technicalities all day but you don't have an Xbox, won't accept that the Xbox doesn't need that much space whilst the PS4 does despite it being a well known issue then I'm not sure I can convince you outside of coming to your house with an Xbox and actually showing you how it works.
Yep. Won't be replying further. You don't have to come to my house, but if you can answer this you can convince me: let's say you have 5 GB of data, representing a city block in an open world game. It has to be contiguous at all times to be loaded wholesale into memory. Let's say at the 2GB mark begins a 40MB file that needs an update which will modify its size. You can find partial solutions (not modifying the initial file and finding free blocks after the 5GB chunk and appending it there, or if the file is smaller now you replace it and pad the remaining space with zeros), but no general solution. The simpler answer, which seems to be what Sony does on the PS4, is to rebuild the whole thing again.
My point still stands, this is irrelevant on new gen hardware because of the SSDs. If you play in BC then no improvements in this regard, but games built on engines specifically for this gen will be different in patches.
That is a diffrent thing. That the reason the game is big in the first place. What I mean is that PS4 need more free space when Installing games or Updates. When game gets a 20GB Patch you need at least 40GB free on your PS4. From my expirience when I get an 20GB Update on Xbox I only need the 20GB free.
Not talking about asset duplication.
It isn't the same. On Xbox (or Switch, for that matter), you just need the free space your actual download requires.

This is an issue nobody else has, and people have been asking Sony to change it for years now.
Switch doesn't use a HDD so it's not relevant to the conversation.

That's it. Last reply. I might be wrong. I feel like it's turned into a veiled console war and I don't care enough to respond any further.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
These guys are a solid joke. COD is a literal meme nowadays, and this attitude around how you even get to play it is toxic.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I stopped playing Warzone a few months after release for the sole reason of the file size coupled with the fact it ran like shit on my more than capable PC regardless.

May 10, 2018
Sounds about right. I uninstalled Modern Warfare since the only maps I like are Shipment & Shoot House and that playlist isn't permanent. Freed up close to 200GB of space.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Why should we get worried about 7 years old and soon to be phased out consoles running recent games?

I'd be more worried about the 364GB available space on the brand new XSS. Those 3 games are not even fitting (or barely?) in that console today and that machine is supposed to last 7 more years.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Literally had to give up playing CoD just so I could actually play other videogames. Its literally you play CoD or play nothing else at all. If I took something else out of my HDD its because I wasn't playing it, But in this case it was constantly bloating itself to the point where it made it impossible for other games to update.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
At this point Activision should just make their own 'Console of Duty' that only plays Call of Duty.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
I mean if you took the time to watch the video I linked you'd understand.
It has everything to do with HDD vs SSD.
Some data needs to be in contiguous chunks on disk to be loaded together, for instance a level, or a city block in an open world game. A chunk of data.
If you modifiy something inside that chunk of data, say an asset that used to be 40MB and is now 60MB, you'll have to move everything after it by 20MB. It needs to remain contiguous after the patch, otherwise streaming and loading wouldn't work. You can't put the new data anywhere, because then when you need it you'll have to ask the disk to get it for you, and if it's far away on the disk you'll incur a seek time penalty.
You can patch a file in place, sure, but if it's within a chunk that needs to remain contiguous on disk, you'll have to move the stuff next to it to make space for the difference in size.
Again, if you watched the video, it's explained very clearly.
If Xbox actually has a solution, please explain how it does it. Because seek times are a hardware drawback on HDDs that you can't just "patch out".

Edit: if this is still unclear, with an SSD you can just put the data anywhere on disk. Getting it will take the same time.
No, i has nothing to do with HDD vs SSD, because sony does the same on PS5, the difference is on PS5, the copying process is faster because it has an ssd, but it is the same as PS4, it duplicates the game files, applies the patch and then deletes the unpatched existing game. Xbox just download the patch and applies it ln the run, that's why you can't play the game while an update is downloading, because game files are beign modified in the process.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
My gaming group and I wanted to play multiplayer buy there was an 18 gig update so that was out. The files sizes are already untenable.

What the fuck is in an 18 gig update??

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
At this point in the games lifetime you've probably decided to play one or the other who has full installs of both on their drives. At worst you have this stuff installed

-MP Cold War
-Zombies
-MP MW
-Warzone

And none of this stuff
-Spec Ops (lol)
-Dead Ops Arcade
-Campaign MW
-Campaign Cold War

Cold War should get a couple more seasons of support before the new COD comes out so at that point are you playing all three games? Are they really that good. If your grinding out guns your likely doing that throughout the year or in the 50 vs 50 warzone playlists. You gotta be a serious hardcore meta COD player to be jumping through essentially the current 3 games.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Yep. My initial statement was this won't be the case for games designed with the SSD in mind.
We're talking about a PS4 game, designed for mechanical HDDs though....

Again, if the file you're modifying is inside a chunk that needs to remain contiguous, shifting things around is necessary. Maybe Xbox defers it later and does it during down time (like rest mode) and more efficiently (it's not always needed but maybe PS4 systematically does it while Xbox only does it when it's actually needed), but seek times are seek times.
OK, you need to spell out what you think is happening when files are written to a disk. Say a game added 100+ textures in a patch. They may be individual files, they may be new entries in a single archive file that already exists.
Neither platform guarantees (to my knowledge) that individual files will be next to each other on the disc platters or next to each other in the filesystem itself. A single file containing multiple files as binary data will be a continuous file to the game and read into memory just fine but it's actual data will be spread across the platters and sectors.
There will absolutely be some speed difference depending on which platter and sector the file system chunks are stored on and how much seeking needs to happen, but that's how disk based file systems have worked for a long time. The key thing to remember is that a single file as we see it is actually spread across the disk (I worked on a tool to read the Xbox 360 file system so sadly have a little more experience reading filesystems than I'd care to remember).

Yep. Won't be replying further. You don't have to come to my house, but if you can answer this you can convince me: let's say you have 5 GB of data, representing a city block in an open world game. It has to be contiguous at all times to be loaded wholesale into memory. Let's say at the 2GB mark begins a 40MB file that needs an update which will modify its size. You can find partial solutions (not modifying the initial file and finding free blocks after the 5GB chunk and appending it there, or if the file is smaller now you replace it and pad the remaining space with zeros), but no general solution. The simpler answer, which seems to be what Sony does on the PS4, is to rebuild the whole thing again.
Contiguous data layout on the disk sectors is preferred not required.

Having everything chunk of data next to each other on the disk is nice, the reality is that steaming systems can accommodate data being loaded at variable speeds because the disk based systems cannot guarantee exact data retrieval times due to fragmentation and game usage of the files themselves.

The Sony process protects against file corruption, it likely results in some files being contiguous on the platter, and I think this is where we're struggling. You assume that the Xbox requires files to be contiguous on the underlying disk structure. Can you please provide evidence that this is required.

My point still stands, this is irrelevant on new gen hardware because of the SSDs. If you play in BC then no improvements in this regard, but games built on engines specifically for this gen will be different in patches.

Not talking about asset duplication.

Switch doesn't use a HDD so it's not relevant to the conversation.

That's it. Last reply. I might be wrong. I feel like it's turned into a veiled console war and I don't care enough to respond any further.
We're talking about a PS4 game on the PS4. You are 100% wrong about the Xbox needing 107GB free space to apply a 15GB patch, I promise you. This isn't console warring, just people telling you that your assumption about how a system - that you don't own - works is wrong.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
this is all just a cleaver lead up to Call of Duty storage expansion for consoles, spend 250€ on a M.2 SSD and get Call of Duty preinstalled

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Is there a reason why you'd need to have all three games installed at the same time?
The fastest way to unlock attachments is through multiplayer, especially if the attachment (or the gun itself) is tied to a challenge like "get 3 sliding kills in 25 matches with SMGs". Warzone pulls content from both games, too, so if you're an active player that wants to unlock stuff from both pools, it's honestly the most time efficient to have all three on your console.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I dont play COD anymore. The bloat is out of control.

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
Had to delete Astro bot and destruction all stars to update war zone the last time they released a patch because it's still the ps4 version and needing space to copy and update.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
How about letting me uninstall Warzone and all junk related to that. I just want to play Modern Warfare