• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, Halo Wars fans - the series looks dead, at least for now.

Halo custodian 343 had previously said its focus on The Master Chief Collection meant it had no plans to return to Halo Wars 2, the Creative Assembly-developed real-time strategy game released in 2017.

Not only that, there are no current plans to release a Halo Wars 3 - or any new game in the series.

"It's not always easy to be open and transparent - particularly when we expect it's not an answer the community wants to hear - but we want to give it to you straight: 343 Industries has no current plans for further Halo Wars 2 work including content updates, balance patches, bringing the title to other platforms, or a new game in the series," 343 community manager John Junyszek wrote in a post on Halo Waypoint.

Junyszek did stress the use of the word "currently". Perhaps at some point in the future Halo Wars will return - but don't hold your breath.

"As of today, there is no plan for the development team to re-engage with Halo Wars 2 and we aren't working on a new game in the series at this time. But, we're specifically never going to say never because, well, who knows what the future may bring."
Liked the series but there's plenty of other strategy game to enjoy rn.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
What exactly did 343i do for Halo Wars 2? I thought that was a Creative Assembly thing?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was a collaboration and not solely on CA!

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
343i has always been involved in some level on all the games attached to the Halo IP. Creative Assembly may have been the primary dev on it, but 343 also assisted and oversaw things.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
They killed it.

Halo 2 was a depressingly unambitious sequel. It felt like Creative Assembly had no ideas for how to innovative the game, and most of the enthusiasm from them and 343i seemed to be for Blitz which was pay-to-win and clearly inspired by Clash Royale. It was also extremely rough at launch, I experienced performance problems, bugs, crashes, frequent de-syncs online, and so on.

I really enjoyed the first game, it's the best example of how you can translate the genre to console.

I really hope I'm not saying this kind of stuff about Age of Empires IV in a few years time, because while I liked Halo Wars, Age of Empires was basically my gateway into gaming. Fucking it up would be unforgivable.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that thought 2 was better than one lol. And the DLC was really awesome 🤷🏽‍♂️

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The game received 3 years of updates. It's fine to move on at some point.

Still playing Halo Wars 2 regularly. Such a great multiplayer game, it's in such a better place than the first game with pretty much every unit being viable compared to the first game that had much more limited strategic options.

I hope to see Halo Wars 3 at some point

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they consider a Halo Wars 3 when they've got space to do it justice.

Halo Wars 2 ruled and they supported it for a long time. The expansion was fantastic.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Wars strikes me as a series that makes sense as a "once per generation" kind of thing. Not every series needs new entries every three or four years.

Once Halo Infinite has been released and they sit down to really take a look at their future roadmap, I'm sure the question of HW3 will come up again.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Halo Wars strikes me as a series that makes sense as a "once per generation" kind of thing. Not every series needs new entries every three or four years.

Once Halo Infinite has been released and they sit down to really take a look at their future roadmap, I'm sure the question of HW3 will come up again.

They waited eight years between Halo Wars and Halo Wars 2 only for it to slump. If they want to make a success out of a Halo Wars 3 they need to do a lot more than just give it some breathing room. I think the first step is to see whether Microsoft make a success out of Age of Empires IV, because if they can't it's very hard to imagine Halo Wars 3 having any chance. I mean with respect to the franchise, look at the (lack of) activity in this thread. The franchise just doesn't register.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Wars 2 didn't sell very well IIRC, it was honestly lucky that Halo Wars even got a sequel in the first place. Both are good games though.

At least Halo Wars 2 introduced the Banished, which seem to factor heavily into Infinite, so those games did at least contribute to the series overall.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
They're making a PC push and don't want to make a CA or Relic made Halo Wars 3?

What squandered potential. I love this series...

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
3 years of updates and balancing ain't bad. I really love the multiplayer in this and have our silly hours in.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunate timing with halo wars 2. If it had released after MS's steam push it might've done better.

As is, releasing an RTS only for consoles was always going to be a big challenge in terms of sales.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
3 years is great for updates and support, they have Age of Empires in the pipeline for strategy too (which I vastly prefer). Still, there is future potential in future installments.
Personally I want a 3rd person ODST game, Division style. So much potential.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I absolutely love Halo Wars. I got almost every achievement on the 360 and One and have put thousands of hours into the game. But Halo Wars 2 is awful, really awful compared to the first game. It bears almost no resemblance visually, and gameplay wise that it shouldn't have been called Halo Wars 2.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
A shame really hoping we see more strategy games and sims with the better cpus in next gen. At least State of decay 3 should do some cool shit.

Jan 4, 2018
Hope that 343 will be able to make Halo Wars 3 once Infinite has launched. Either with Creative Assembly or with Relic Entertainment (after Age of Empires 4) depending of their schedules.

Halo Wars 2 is such a fantastic game, especially the Multiplayer and the Horde mode. Still playing every week or every day and always finding 3v3 games within 30 sec/1 min. Too bad it released before Game Pass was a thing though, it really could have helped the game even though it did well.

Sad about no Steam release though.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I stand by the DLC campaign being one of my favorite "popcorn RTS" experiences in years. 5(?) incredibly hectic missions.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
Halo Wars 2 didn't sell very well IIRC, it was honestly lucky that Halo Wars even got a sequel in the first place. Both are good games though.

At least Halo Wars 2 introduced the Banished, which seem to factor heavily into Infinite, so those games did at least contribute to the series overall.
IIRC it was Phil's love for the first game that got the second one made, It was never viewed as a big game as RTS on console is such a small niche, even on PC too.

Jan 4, 2018
I hope if Halo Wars 3 happen that they will reutilize some of the ideas of the failed pitch from 2017, especially the space battles and capital ships concepts.

HW3_concept_space_battle_top_down_1.jpg

HW3_concept_space_battle_2.jpg

HW3_concept_front-end-mockup-01.jpg

HW3_concept_front-end-mockup-04.jpg

HW3_concept_spacebattle_sketch_2.jpg

HW3_concept_front-end-mockup-06.jpg

HW3_concept_spacebattle_sketch_1.jpg

HW3_concept_front-end-mockup-07.jpg

Jan 4, 2018

It didn't sell as much as the first one (and Xbox One sales would have prevented this anyway) but we know that it "sold more digital copies than physical copies by a notable margin" at launch. There is Gametstat but I don't think this site is reliable for Xbox games (was more than 3 million players in total I believe).

It wasn't the big success of the first game on the 360 but it wasn't a failure neither. It launched at a time when Game Pass didn't even exist unfortunately and wasn't helped on the PC side by being on the Windows Store only.

If it released today on Game Pass with +18M suscribers + Steam and Windows Store, it would do very differently for sure.

Am I the only one that thought 2 was better than one lol. And the DLC was really awesome 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 is superior on every point (especially the gameplay) except the map variety (though 3v3 has way more maps but these are less unique).

YayYap and cannon fodder rules.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

It sold fine for what it was. Nobody was expecting a console based RTS to sell millions and millions of copies. And it had a fairly good community for a bit of time

Nov 2, 2019
Good.

I want new types of games in the Halo universe that aren't RTS or twin stick shooters. I want third person shooters and RPGs

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope they return to it some day, such a great RTS. Glad we got HW2 for posterity.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shame. The Original Halo Wars is a hugely underrated game. I still occasionally hop on with some buds and play the remastered edition.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Played this on PC at launch and that was definitely the correct way to play. 60fps and mouse is, unsurprisingly, very good in an RTS game.

It's fine on console too. But, yeah, it's been on PC since day one.