• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I feel like she should have gotten a warning first. And a change to reentry with a non black version of the cosplay. But that is ignoring her post afterwards.
But just to ask, is it ok for someone to cosplay a character of a other gender as given gender? Shouldn't she have done an White Female version of the character? Just asking.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The defense I've seen most often is that it's not paint it's a full costume, but that's no different. It's using darker skin as a costume.

And this isn't about being offended, or being too sensitive. Black people are systemically oppressed and the vast majority of white people will never understand what this feels like.

Imagine being someone living under that oppression, who goes through life feeling it from other human beings, seeing people who look like them murdered by police, hearing the hate of white supremacy, seeing the privilege of their white friends and knowing they will never obtain that freedom... then seeing a white person put on their skin as a costume for fun, not only that but that same person lashing out with their privilege when they're called out for it...

Too sensitive? I can't imagine the strength it takes honestly.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well... Not really... All I know now is that I might get banned. I still have no idea if it's deemed inappropriate/disrespectful/racist.

Kinthey might have been banned for being dismissive of the problem which really isn't my point here.
Why do you have hypothetical scenarios running around in your head wondering when certain specific conditions are met, whether it's blackface or not? What's the reason for wearing a Samuel Jackson mask? Like Slayven mentioned, it seems like a bargaining method.
I never understood the weird bargaining that goes on in these threads. "Can i wear blackface on a second tuesday, after mlk day". Folks need to stop trying to find loopholes and start having empathy

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Why do you have hypothetical scenarios running around in your head wondering when certain specific conditions are met, whether it's blackface or not? What's the reason for wearing a Samuel Jackson mask? Like Slayven mentioned, it seems like a bargaining method.

But hypothetically speaking would it be okay to wear the mask of a black person if the full moon was to rise on the third Thursday of the month? Genuinely just asking questions here.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The white woman who thought blackface was acceptable is a spiteful, entitled POS?

giphy.gif

Yep. It's too hard to just accept that you got it wrong, and that you didn't try to offend but you'll try to do better next time.
Just double down, because why not? Not like she won't get a bunch of new fans because of this, in support of her ignorant choice to do (what amounts to) expensive blackface.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I don't understand why this thread is not locked, there is nothing to discuss, blackface is bad.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've always loved about these apologists is that you can tell that they've never once even considered how black cosplayers cope with the fact that their skin color doesn't match popular nerd culture characters 90% of the time.

It's a difference in "respect" for other ethnic groups as fellow human beings. People who think they "need" to include ethnicity in their costumes in order to portray a character because they view the character as "foreign/other than/outer worldly" than themselves and resort to Blackface vs people who recognize the clothing/latex/etc... as the actual costume and not their skin tone/that they don't need a costume for the human part of the costume since they are portraying another human.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
The banhammer is going wild in here!

I also feel like I've stepped into a time machine and talking about what is OK and not OK when it comes to blackface.

Guess what, it's never OK.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You really don't think a large portion, if not the majority, of those posters were American, or at least aware of blackface?

Blackface/sambo is not a uniquely American phenomenon.

But Popo isn't real, how can it be racist ?
Ok i seriously have to ask, is ERA banning people for not agreeing with mods opinions? Not this thread specifically but in general. It certainly feels like it a lot of the times. Feels kind of a "it's our way or the highway" situation.
dbvVwJ4.gif

A white woman resorting to blackface also happens to be bigoted towards non-binary people AND directs harassment towards those people, what a surprise!
IyGnL5u.jpg
Translation.
0OdhrQI.gif

Please, don't make generalisation...
White people seem to think that they can't be racist if it's not intentional

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand what juncture you get to where you're in the shop picking out shades of brown paint to paint your skin to look like another race. Less so when you're making an entire skin-suit to do so.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, it's just a cosplay, and a very good one at that.

it's fine that you don't get it, but read through the thread. A lot of people have went through the trouble of explaining why this isn't okay, take advantage of this and become a more educated/informed individual.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
White people seem to think that they can't be racist if it's not intentional

Well, that's essentially true. Discrimination, racism and prejudice is racism, being foolish or ignorant isn't.

Failing to apologise and learn and instead doubling down when called out on your mistake is racist, however.

Paertan

Oct 28, 2017
Why? It's a cosplay of a black character, why can't she cosplay as that?
Because a lot of people are offended by other people doing that. And they have legit reasons of being so. Easy as that. I did not get it when I first heard about it. I thought it was silly. But I am a white male. It is not up to me to decide. Well if I was offended by someone doing the opposite yeah then it would be up to me.

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
I can see how she fell into this, what with making a skin suit for the contouring and tattoos she decided to add skin tone as well. However, given her profile I'm surprised that she wasn't aware of how problematic doing do would be.

e. and her response to the controversy is telling

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I didn't know what to think for a minute, but quickly realised this actually takes blackface to a new level. I get that she was likely unaware of the implications, but that ignorance is part of the problem and needs to be challenged. And whatever their original intentions, the cosplayer's response to the situation is really not a good look. They should have taken a step back and tried to understand why this was not considered appropriate.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea what white washing is, mate. A white person cosplaying as a black character without painting themselves black is not whitewashing.

Edit: She's full of it

Ok this makes her look more like an asshole now.
I highly doubt her making the exact same suit but the suit having white skin to match hers wouldn't be called out for different reasons. Doing stuff to your own skin is one thing but making a costume that seems to be fully independent of her seems to have some different nuances to it.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Tropic thunder got a little flak but the context is important. It was a movie poking fun at the ridiculousness of actors and Hollywood. The whole point if his character was that it was wrong.

Thanks for that, I understand that blackface is wrong in all situations, its a 100% no, in all situations. That is why I am wondering how that movie gets a pass.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a graveyard of bans!

It is an incredibly detailed costume, but could it have been done without the skin tone change? Yes people would know who it was regardless.

Also Tropic Thunder I can't remember them getting stick for blackface as they pointed that out very well in the movie it was over the top.

Also White Chicks was funny, but it is rare to see a whiteface style movie like that, blackface has always been around to mock africans etc, it always had sinister overtones.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
Humm.. How is it hypothetical? those celebrities masks do exist and are somewhat popular, I've seen them around and I'm not even American. That's why I asked.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I highly doubt her making the exact same suit but the suit having white skin to match hers wouldn't be called out for different reasons. Doing stuff to your own skin is one thing but making a costume that seems to be fully independent of her seems to have some different nuances to it.

See this is the thing I'm kind of pondering. If the suit is designed in such a way that it can be worn by anyone, effectively hiding the wearer entirely, then isn't this operating in a different space to someone changing their own skin colour? Or say, operating a puppet of a black character - as some puppets are kind of partially or fully "worn". The puppets of Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto used in the Nintendo direct, for example. Obviously that's a very different thing, but as we move towards full-body suits that are independent of the wearer, there does seem to be more nuance to it, as you say.

Last edited:

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Well, that's essentially true. Discrimination, racism and prejudice is racism, being foolish or ignorant isn't.

Failing to apologise and learn and instead doubling down when called out on your mistake is racist, however.
It's more complex than that I think. Racism is about belief. It doesn't need to be willful or hateful.

"The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another."

Believing that someone else's race is yours to put on and take off like a costume seems racist to me. Discounting people's upset about it is clearly racist.

As an example of racism without intent, subconsciously clutching your valuables tighter when a black person comes near you is racist, even if you aren't aware of harboring any such beliefs or aren't aware of doing it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing that get me is people are sub/coniuosly putting dark skin people in the same catagory as Namekians, Orcs, Kree, Nightelves, Yellow martians, etc.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You know, that is an amazing costume and all, but people can't just go around in blackface. I am not sure why this is even debatable or why so many in the thread questioned it. I know I'd be pissed if some woman made a fucking asian man costume like Bruce Lee or something and tried to win prize money with it.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing that get me is people are sub/coniuosly putting dark skin people in the same catagory as Namekians, Orcs, Kree, Nightelves, Yellow martians, etc.
You mean, evil people are dark skinned? That trope?

Yeah, that's not racist in the slightest. *Ahem*.

People, write "race is not a costume" on the blackboard 100x please.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
And this isn't about being offended, or being too sensitive. Black people are systemically oppressed and the vast majority of white people will never understand what this feels like.
As a white blond hair blue eyes straight man, I can confirm this. I mean, I can understand, but not fully understand. Like I can understand the privilege I have over woman too, but not fully either. I can contiue the list with gender identity, sexual orientation, ...

So, yes, fuck the "too sensitive" or any "we can't say anything now" arguments. I feel for you that you have to explained that shit in 2019.