• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being from Belgium, im not even kidding when 90% of the population sees absolutely nothing wrong with this.

People do not perceive this as racism at all, people as varied from pizza delivery guys to ministers.

Before i go any further, that does not make it right at all, and i can definitely see why its wrong. And have openly discussed it at work (big mistake) you just get 'its tradition' and whatever thrown at you.

Anyway the point i'm trying to make is, some people genuinely question stuff like this, out of ignorance or because we're just clueless.

Not everyone tries to play the 'just asking questions' game to rile things up. Isn't it better to educate?
I appreciate you took the time to elaborate where you're coming from. But what you have to understand, is that it's not the responsibility of people like me to educate people on racism. It's very tiring, ya know.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Being from Belgium, im not even kidding when 90% of the population sees absolutely nothing wrong with this.

People do not perceive this as racism at all, people as varied from pizza delivery guys to ministers.

Before i go any further, that does not make it right at all, and i can definitely see why its wrong. And have openly discussed it at work (big mistake) you just get 'its tradition' and whatever thrown at you.

Anyway the point i'm trying to make is, some people genuinely question stuff like this, out of ignorance or because we're just clueless.

Not everyone tries to play the 'just asking questions' game to rile things up. Isn't it better to educate?
Speaking in general and not even on this particular topic. I tend to agree that it's a good principle to try to educate people, even if you think you're going to fail. Not anyone's responsibility, just a worthwhile practice. Someone can only pretend to be ignorant until you explain things to them.

On the other hand, people who are belligerently ignorant - "I don't understand this so it must be stupid" - should probably not get the same respect.

Also, people who make arguments that are dumb enough that they themselves probably don't believe them - "if this situation is bad, then what about a different scenario which removes the entire crux of the issue, is it still bad then" - should probably not get the same respect either.

Deleted member 42102

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
ITT bunch of people that have no idea what whitewashing is. A white person cosplaying a black character is not whitewashing and wouldn't be criticized as such.

Is it really that hard of a concept to grasp? Cut the bullshit, just don't alter your skin and you're fine. She could've easily cosplayed the damn character without changing the skin of the suit or herself either.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really that hard of a concept to grasp? Cut the bullshit, just don't alter your skin and you're fine. She could've easily cosplayed the damn character without changing the skin of the suit or herself either.
You'd think it wouldn't be. And yet here we are.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Good lord, what is it about blackface that makes people suicide their accounts?
I've seen this happen several times on Era, and each time the banned users act like they're making a noble sacrifice to speak up, but they just come across looking like uneducated douches.

It's a tremendously sensitive topic due to a long history of racist uses, it should be enough to know this and move on ffs.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well...

I appreciate the idea of a girl cosplayer going for a male character costume without resorting to the boobies galore Jessice Nigri style but...

She clearly chose the wrong character to cosplay.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017

There's something worth discussing here though - which is when a person considers a fictional character to be black. In this case (as you know) many people liken the dark skin to a character with an arbitrary skin color as happens in many fantasy games.

Really we should be talking about how a dark skinned character seamlessly blends in with a fantasy set for some people and becomes a point of representation for others. I believe it's important to talk about the intent of the character in the first place, what it means & how to acnowledge and respect this.
I've seen many opinions in this thread on both sides but not much in the way of genuine conversation.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some threads show how ERA is very US centric, and this is one of them.
Blackface has many issues, and shouldn't be used, but a lot of people around the world are clueless about what blackface is of where it comes from, or are just questioning if this is blackface or not.
I'm not from the US, and yet.

Kiwilannister

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive Commentary Surrounding Blackface Over Multiple Posts; Account in Junior Phase
Blackface has many issues, and shouldn't be used, but a lot of people around the world are clueless about what blackface is of where it comes from, or are just questioning if this is blackface or not.
Yup. The USA loves to export their race relations and politics overseas. The NZ rugby team is called the All Blacks (and our basketball team is the Tall Blacks) and it always causes confusion for people applying an American perspective to the names.

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
There's something worth discussing here though - which is when a person considers a fictional character to be black. In this case (as you know) many people liken the dark skin to a character with an arbitrary skin color as happens in many fantasy games.

Really we should be talking about how a dark skinned character seamlessly blends in with a fantasy set for some people and becomes a point of representation for others. I believe it's important to talk about the intent of the character in the first place, what it means & how to acnowledge and respect this.
I've seen many opinions in this thread on both sides but not much in the way of genuine conversation.

Do you honestly expect that level of discourse to even occur when most people in this thread clearly have no idea what blackface or white washing is?

I'm all for having that conversation but does the race of the fictional character whether intentional or not really justify changing one's skin? There are a lot of fictional characters that were probably never even intended to be black in media that PoC co-opted anyway and use them as a point of representation because there's not really much out there. Hell, a lot of fantasy settings will straight up use mythical races as a stand in for PoC and their struggles. So it really comes down to those who are unaffected by it and those who are affected by it in the end. People who see a dark skinned character in a fantasy setting and don't acknowledge it probably don't have much stake in the game to begin with. So when people who don't really feel represented see these characters and adopt them with no regard for the creators intent it's not that surprising.

Yup. The USA loves to export their race relations and politics overseas. The NZ rugby team is called the All Blacks (and our basketball team is the Tall Blacks) and it always causes confusion for people applying an American perspective to the names.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the US ain't the only place with these politics and race relation issues. Sincerely, someone not originally from the US.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The developers said the character is black. End of the discussion.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Which just reminds me that I was reading up about stuff like this recently.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

You really don't think a large portion, if not the majority, of those posters were American, or at least aware of blackface?

Blackface/sambo is not a uniquely American phenomenon.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
ITT bunch of people that have no idea what whitewashing is. A white person cosplaying a black character is not whitewashing and wouldn't be criticized as such.

The point they're making is that by deciding on what is essentially a wearable sculpture you have to actively colour it one way or the other and both are bad

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Seems like a no win situation. A light skinned Pyke costume in this style would likely be called out for whitewashing.
Yeah, I am very confused myself. If you can't wear mask representing dark skinned people, that broadens the concept of blackface A LOT.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't seen anyone confused about our national teams names or what that has to do with exported politics. There's not really any excuse with how connected the world is that we wouldn't know how offensive this shit can be. Shit, we have comedians taking a jab at Hawera for that notorious parade that happened because they were so astoundingly clueless.

Deleted member 42102

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The point they're making is that by deciding on what is essentially a wearable sculpture you have to actively colour it one way or the other and both are bad

The point is pretty stupid, it comes off as more cancel culture boogeyman nonsense. No one would have complained if she went with her actual skin color. White people can cosplay non-white characters without reprieve as long as they don't try and mimic said character's skin color.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
This.
I really would like to understand better some of these topics that are not known outside of US... not by everyone at least... (sometimes this applies also about some "internet disrespectful meme/jokes")
I think sometimes people just dont know the arguments... (I have no idea about bans in this topic, I speak in general)
I also did some mistakes in the past and now I try to be very careful about these topics, because I understand that there are some argument about I am ignorant and I could be not respectful...
Also not being native language sometimes can be a problem... I found out some time ago that writing "jap" instead of "japanese" is a disrespectful way to call "japanese people"... but I really had no idea... :(

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
Ok i seriously have to ask, is ERA banning people for not agreeing with mods opinions? Not this thread specifically but in general. It certainly feels like it a lot of the times. Feels kind of a "it's our way or the highway" situation.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
How about white people stop telling black people what is and isn't blackface? You don't need to paint your face black to do a cosplay. The audacity and entitlement to demand to use another person's skin colour as a costume.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A white woman resorting to blackface also happens to be bigoted towards non-binary people AND directs harassment towards those people, what a surprise!
IyGnL5u.jpg

The people banned in this thread should be aware of that, blackface isn't respectful of the character or of people, and it's clear she got other issues like her bigotry coming out in full display so she isn't some good person in general.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
A white woman resorting to blackface also happens to be bigoted towards non-binary people AND directs harassment towards those people, what a surprise!
IyGnL5u.jpg

The people banned in this thread should be aware of that, blackface isn't respectful of the character or of people, and it's clear she got other issues like her bigotry coming out in full display so she isn't some good person in general.

SMH. You want to talk about spreading love when you're really just spreading hate? GTFO! A damn wolf in sheep's clothing!

Last edited:

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Not surprised at the number of bans in this thread. Identity politics seems to throw people for a loop sometimes.

A white person blacking up - that's wearing some form of costume, makeup or otherwise - is an action that is deeply insulting to entire communities of people.

If something is insulting to a group of people, other people should not be stepping in to either concern troll or explain in a big-brained way how they have more of a right to decide what's insulting than members of the insulted community.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
IyGnL5u.jpg

The ego on this one lol.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The white woman who thought blackface was acceptable is a spiteful, entitled POS?

giphy.gif

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well...

I appreciate the idea of a girl cosplayer going for a male character costume without resorting to the boobies galore Jessice Nigri style but...

She clearly chose the wrong character to cosplay.
No, she clearly chose the wrong thing to do with the character's cosplay. She didn't HAVE to do blackface to do justice to the character. Cosplayers don't have to pick the same skin colour characters as their own. They just don't have to do blackface. It's such a simple solution and yet ignorant racists (and bigots, which she also happens to be) just can't help themselves so I'm glad they face consequences nowadays.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
She could have chosen a Pyke skin that's all covered in armor or whatever. Would that still be considered black face? (white cosplaying a black character)

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
Kinthey already wondered this back on page 3, and is now banned. Hope that satisfies your curiosity.
Well... Not really... All I know now is that I might get banned. I still have no idea if it's deemed inappropriate/disrespectful/racist.

Kinthey might have been banned for being dismissive of the problem which really isn't my point here.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I said earlier in this thread that I think this is an awkward subject, as some people are unfamiliar with this form that is considered to be blackface and may not take offence to it or understand why it can be offensive, as a black man, I myself don't actually find the costume itself offensive, perhaps I'm naive in this instance. I would argue it's more about the person who's wearing it and the mentality behind it. But I can totally understand why people are offended by it.

In this case it's a person who refuses to see the situation for what it is, and couldn't care less to understand the conflict caused from it.
She claims to really love this character and decided to make a costume of him, that's nice... But I can't really give you the benefit of the doubt if your reaction is basically that you just don't give a fuck.

The suit is well made but people need to realize you don't need to wear a skin suit or change your skin color to cosplay as a black character.

This whole situation could have been avoided if she followed this simple principle. You never catch black people painting themselves and wearing skin suits to cosplay.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Er is nochtans een steeds groter verzet tegen dit koloniaaal teken in Vlaanderen ;)

Crickey

Banned
Jul 16, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): excusing blackface, account in junior phase
I don't understand. It's not like she did the stereotype curly hair or big lips whatever... I think the costume looks great. It's not like she's mocking black people. That said she seems like a pos from her posts afterwards.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I guess one could ask if it would he fine if she whitewashed the character since this seems to be a suit.

The answer would probably be no.
You have no idea what white washing is, mate. A white person cosplaying as a black character without painting themselves black is not whitewashing.

Edit: She's full of it

IyGnL5u.jpg

Ok this makes her look more like an asshole now.

Last edited: