• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people shouldn't make skin suits of people of other races, yes

"but it isn't black shoe polish, it's a $15,000 full latex bodysuit darkened to look like a fictional black character."
"But i'm white, what do you mean i can't do what ever the fuck i want. How dare you make me feel uncomfortable"

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
If you cosplay an actual human demographic, you have to answer to that demographic.

If you cosplay as a Thri-Kreen, you have to answer to giant praying mantis people. As there are none of those, you're good.
Ok, I just figured this would be about the same as someone cosplaying Spawn with a full bodysuit. I apologize if I offended you. I see where you're coming from. It's the exposed "skin" on the bodysuit effectively changing her perceived race regardless of the cosplayed character.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Then that would be white-washing the character. Its to a point where she shouldn't have made the suit.

So she was damned either way?
This brings up the question: Is it okay for a white person to cosplay as someone not of their ethically background?
That would be interesting to see how the response is for that.
Reminds of the live action Aladdin movie. As an Middle Easterner, I would of been pissed if they cast a white guy as Aladdin. However, I have no idea how I would feel if some white guy dressed up as Aladdin for a contest.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Awesome Ken Masters cosplay.

"SHORYUKEN!" -Sub-Zero from Tekken
70305275_3749946928364119_533156431008890880_n.png

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how it works. Considering the amount of white characters vs black characters in fiction, black people, indian people, asian people, whatever skin color is not white would be hard pressed to cosplay as anything. Cosplay should be as inclusive as possible. It's a matter of responsibility and sensitivity. It's not about not being allowed to cosplay Pyke as a white person. It's about not representing yourself as black when you're not and not treating an ethnicity as a costume.

Lots of people still don't think blackface is that big a deal or that it's offensive. It's mostly because it doesn't affect YOU personally. Try to look at it from another perspective than yours, it's not that hard. Like, fuck would you slant your eyes if you cosplayed Bakugo or Ichigo? Come on.
I'm not sure you understood what I was saying. I'm saying that "you're forced to cosplay people who are your own race", and especially if you include "non-human" attributes a the post I was replying to, isn't a good way to frame the issue.

If you're cosplaying a real group or someone who is deliberately meant to invoke it, sensitivity is in play. If you're cosplaying something which has no real human analogue whatsoever like a fantasy creature or cartoon animal, then you don't have to care about their feelings because there's no group you're potentially harming with this.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
So she was damned either way?
This brings up the question: Is it okay for a white person to cosplay as someone not of their ethically background?
That would be interesting to see how the response is for that.
Reminds of the live action Aladdin movie. As an Middle Easterner, I would of been pissed if they cast a white guy as Aladdin. However, I have no idea how I would feel if some white guy dressed up as Aladdin for a contest.
Yes, you just do it, without toning your skin to look a different shade than it already is. Plenty of people do that. Cosplay is costume play, you do it for fun. It's not like you're doing it to represent some demographic like you would in some production that is casting people. You sweat the details on the actual craft, not the color of the skin.

Cultural appropriation costumes are another thing entirely though.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bans in here are pretty harsh IMO. I agree she didn't have to paint her skin because the cosplay would've looked great regardless. Some people here getting banned for simply questioning the intent in a respectful way.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
I mean the bans are just an indication that the general population doesn't understand blackface, what encompasses blackface, and doesn't understand how it's racist.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I love how people ignore Slayven's post with images of black cosplayers so they can pretend is absolutely impossible to cosplay without having to alter your skin color, or be "concerned" that "then people are going to complain is whitewashing"

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This made me remember the comment section of a video about a movie (or maybe that talk about hermine being black), I don't remember exactly, but the comments were something like
"Yeah, but what people would say if Bruce Williams played Shaft?" and one guy said that that wasn't the same case because being black was an essential part of the character, whereas the anyone could be Hermione or John McClane.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The bans in here are pretty harsh IMO. I agree she didn't have to paint her skin because the cosplay would've looked great regardless. Some people here getting banned for simply questioning the intent in a respectful way.
We've had this discussion multiple times, its in the rules, "intent" doesn't matter. Its just wrong. What those users should have done is not jump to comment on something they are ignorant about. They could have very well asked everyone why its not okay instead of looking to excuse it. Questioning the intent of blackface is an excuse. Its never okay, full stop.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
We've had this discussion multiple times, its in the rules, "intent" doesn't matter. Its just wrong. What those users should have done is not jump to comment on something they are ignorant about. They could have very well asked everyone why its not okay instead of looking to excuse it. Questioning the intent of blackface is an excuse. Its never okay, full stop.
Another case of: you don't need to comment in every thread on Era.

Now I get it, if I am tired of discussing things like steam/epic store when someone jump in the discussion, with lots of opinions without any substance, imagine people facing racism/prejudice/homophobia

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Be it paint or a suit, you just don't pretend to be of another color.

So with the example Slayven posted with black folk playing a white character, those look really great (I'm looking at you He-Man).

Educate me on this. Would it be alright for a cosplay to use say Doomfist, and they are white. But of course they don't change their skin or anything like that. Just bald with the body markings and outfit. It that seen as okay?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Educate me on this. Would it be alright for a cosplay to use say Doomfist, and they are white. But of course they don't change their skin or anything like that. Just bald with the body markings and outfit. It that seen as okay?
no idea who this guy could be..
oUni52hHDgaHdYIh.jpg

has a metal arm so maybe it's Cable from the New Mutants?
i dont think anyone minds this at all

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then at the end of the day what's the point of these threads? What's there to discuss? To have a whole thread of the same posts over and over condemning said person. Like you said we've had these discussions multiple times. There are posts in the front page alone saying in this case they don't think it was with ill intent but adding they're not sure because they're not black, but get banned for that. I dunno that seems pretty extreme to me.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
As a black man i don't know if i have a problem with this. As pro black as i am i just cant find myself getting offended by this. Now show me any form of minstrel play and ill be more than likely to be offended by that.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Then at the end of the day what's the point of these threads? What's there to discuss? To have a whole thread of the same posts over and over condemning said person.
is this your first day on the internet?
is the only way to discuss something, to come in to a thread talking about a perceived offense and try to make advocacy argument for the offense?
are you really worried that there might be an entire blackface thread without someone coming in there to make the traditional defense of blackface?

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I'm black and think it is pretty simple to just not darken your skin using anything for a cosplay. You literally do everything else the same with the costume except you omit one step, what exactly is hard about that? Plenty of people do it already and you don't see Black cosplayers whiten their skin for accuracy either (Edit: Except whatever this shit is in the post above me lol).

You aren't whitewashing the character. No black cosplayer thinks you are whitewashing the character if you don't darken your skin for "accuracy". It is repeated over and over and over and over and over every time this happens.

She probably wouldn't have gotten a ton of backlash if she didn't post those dumb ass comments afterwards and just acknowledged she messed up.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is this your first day on the internet?
is the only way to discuss something, to come in to a thread talking about a perceived offense and try to make advocacy argument for the offense?
are you really worried that there might be an entire blackface thread without someone coming in there to make the traditional defense of blackface?
You for real? What else happens in blackface threads? Post after post of ppl questioning the actions of an idiot while there's a couple assholes questioning if it's racist. Over and over. My point was that I found some of these bans a little ridiculous. Some came out legit questioning if this one was an exception because they didn't see no ill intent. Wrong or not they didn't come in here like assholes downplaying blackface. Well not all of them.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Goddamn this thread is a graveyard. I learned from a past ban that my idea of what is acceptable is questionable so im not even going to start on this topic.

But i cant help wondering about some of these 1 month bans lol, i mean i cant help but wonder who decides that.

I mean i know ofc, this is a private site and they can treat it and moderate it how they want.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You for real? What else happens in blackface threads? Post after post of ppl questioning the actions of an idiot while there's a couple assholes questioning if it's racist. Over and over. My point was that I found some of these bans a little ridiculous. Some came out legit questioning if this one was an exception because they didn't see no ill intent. Wrong or not they didn't come in here like assholes downplaying blackface. Well not all of them.
It's been pointed out in this thread time and time again., people's skin colour isn't a costume. So the "just asking questions" isn't a legit excuse.
Goddamn this thread is a graveyard. I learned from a past ban that my idea of what is acceptable is questionable so im not even going to start on this topic.

But i cant help wondering about some of these 1 month bans lol, i mean i cant help but wonder who decides that.

I mean i know ofc, this is a private site and they can treat it and moderate it how they want.
Speaking of just asking questions.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing Blackface
Amazing costume.
Looking at the graveyard this thread has left behind, I'll refrain from expressing my opinion on whether this was ok or not, which would seem like an unpopular opinion here.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
It's been pointed out in this thread time and time again., people's skin colour isn't a costume. So the "just asking questions" isn't a legit excuse.

Speaking of just asking questions.
Some people are legitimately clueless and wondering. Im from the land of Sinterklaas for fuck sake. I am opposed to blackface which goes against the majority of what everyone around my area thinks. Is it okay to just look at things contextually? Not everyone is as 'woke' like you'. This is not your typical blackface, but i can see why its wrong.

But hey here i go again, so if im banned well done to you i guess?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing costume.
Looking at the graveyard this thread has left behind, I'll refrain from expressing my opinion on whether this was ok or not, which would seem like an unpopular opinion here.
Except you've done just that, but in a cowardly way.
So then what is there to discuss?
Why this is still so rife. And what (if anything) can be done.
Some people are legitimately clueless and wondering. Im from the land of Sinterklaas for fuck sake. I am opposed to blackface which goes against the majority of what everyone around my area thinks. Is it okay to just look at things contextually? Not everyone is as 'woke' like you'. This is not your typical blackface, but i can see why its wrong.

But hey here i go again, so if im banned well done to you i guess?
I've never claimed to be woke. I find the term idiotic.

No, it' not your typical blackface. But it's still blackface, nevertheless.

Blackface includes the rest of the body.

And speaking of bans. I'm likely to be banned in this thread, then you are. So relax.

And i'm not trying to get you banned. So again, relax.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
The safe and smart bet as a light skinned person is that you never ever darken your skin or wear a dark skin suit for any reason. The history of it is so horrible that no matter what your intent it is going to be a bad idea that will upset people.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except you've done just that, but in a cowardly way.

Why this is still so rife. And what (if anything) can be done.

I've never claimed to be woke. I find the term idiotic.

No, it' not your typical blackface. But it's still blackface, nevertheless.

Blackface includes the rest of the body.

And speaking of bans. I'm likely to be banned in this thread, then you are. So relax.

And i'm not trying to get you banned. So again, relax.
Out of all the blackface threads I've been in I don't think I've ever seen these questions come up. It's page after page of what the other poster called people being woke. If I even know what the word exactly means...

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Pardon me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe there was an obvious way for her to cosplay the character without resorting to blackface. Guy is supposed to be a shark or something, right? Then why not paint the costume the bluish-grey of shark-skin? Looks close enough to the character underwater and offends no one.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Does BlackFace even makes sense outside of the US? Isn't that an american historical thing?
Yes. It does.

For one, Americans exported it. the golliwog doll is from the UK but is modeled after an American blackface minstrel. They could be seen in old Noddy books. If I'm not mistaken, one of the first things that Americans did after ending Japanese isolationism is do perform minstrel shows there.

For another, you have independent blackface traditions like Zwarte Piet or playing Othello.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Being from Belgium, im not even kidding when 90% of the population sees absolutely nothing wrong with this.

People do not perceive this as racism at all, people as varied from pizza delivery guys to ministers.

Before i go any further, that does not make it right at all, and i can definitely see why its wrong. And have openly discussed it at work (big mistake) you just get 'its tradition' and whatever thrown at you.

Anyway the point i'm trying to make is, some people genuinely question stuff like this, out of ignorance or because we're just clueless.

Not everyone tries to play the 'just asking questions' game to rile things up. Isn't it better to educate?

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019

Didn't even know this was a thing, but from reading the artical it seems to come from a totally different cultural/historical background.

Wait, white people being racist shitheads isn't an exclusively American phenomenon??!!

Seriously the racist interpretation of BlackFace is a cultural thing tied to history. I doubt that the most people in my country even know what BlackFace is.

Doing it as way of making fun of Black people and throwing slurs or working with stereotypes would obviously be seen as racism, but I doubt that just using black paint would be seen as that.

Last edited: