• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
My guess is there will be significant pushback if Microsoft buys any more publishers.
Probably not from regulatory committees, not currently. They can always point to their position in market. "We've been trailing in the marketplace for 20 years. We wish to be more competitive" is probably all they have to say for themselves when it comes to any video game publisher not named Nintendo or Sony; which they'd never acquire anyway. These governing bodies are not experts as you can imagine, they'd let Microsoft buy up the entire industry piecemeal, and only realize, penalize, or force them to break up after the fact. The only thing stopping Microsoft from being hyper aggressive in the space, really, is that they face a bit more scrutiny having been hit with the antitrust stick in the past. They're once bitten. And like all companies, they'd really prefer some good old fashioned self-made growth/sustainability over the messier alternative.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Some people are really having a long hangover. Neither is this deal putting Microsoft anywhere close to a monopoly nor was it a hostile change of ownership. To the contrary, Bethesda looked to sell as we have learned from multiple sources, so they would have been under someone's wing anyway. They just chose, as they stated themselves, their longest and closest partner - at a price they found fine.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Did EU say anything when sony bought crunchyroll?

This is just standard procedure
Yep, nothing happened there and Sony is arguably closer to having a anime monopoly than Microsoft having the gaming monopoly.
My guess is there will be significant pushback if Microsoft buys any more publishers.
Nah, won't happen. There are many competitors still left, even if another publisher joins Microsoft. Bad or not for us personally, there is no legal issue.
I don't care whether creatively you have problems with entertainment players consolidating, you shouldn't support the government stepping in to prevent things which aren't illegal.
Well said and I 100% agree with you.
To the contrary, Bethesda looked to sell as we have learned from multiple sources, so they would have been under someone's wing anyway. They just chose, as they stated themselves, their longest and closest partner at a price they found fine.
But, but.... I want Microsoft to be the villian /S.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Probably not from regulatory committees, not currently. They can always point to their position in market. "We've been trailing in the marketplace for 20 years. We wish to be more competitive" is probably all they have to say for themselves when it comes to any video game publisher not named Nintendo or Sony; which they'd never acquire anyway. These governing bodies are not experts as you can imagine, they'd let Microsoft buy up the entire industry piecemeal, and only realize, penalize, or force them to break up after the fact. The only thing stopping Microsoft from being hyper aggressive in the space, really, is that they face a bit more scrutiny having been hit with the antitrust stick in the past. They're once bitten. And like all companies, they'd really prefer some good old fashioned self-made growth/sustainability over the messier alternative.

Pretty much this. "We control 0.5% of the revenue in a $150 billion dollar industry" is the best defense for anti-trust suits, no matter how many hardcore AAA games they have under their umbrella.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Right now, the only company with a gaming monopoly is Hasbro.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
A lot of people here don't know the meaning of the word 'monopoly'.

A company with monopoly power or anti-competitive power could double the price of one of their services and male all their consumers pay it because there's no alternative.

Microsoft tried that last week and got rightly destroyed for it.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Should be able to close this deal soon then, and maybe Microsoft can be a little less vague about what they intend to do with the next big games from Bethesda (which almost certainly has to be "make them exclusive")

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Outside of CDPR and Bioware MS now owns pretty much every single Western RPG studio, for one. As dispassionate as one can be, buying a massive publisher is clearly a move towards a monopoly (unlike, say, buying Obsidian or NT).

XBox market share in Europe has zilch to do with this
Xbox owns 5 RPG studios (BGS, Obsidian, inXile, Playground and Zenimax Online), 6 if you count Undead. The major independent RPG studios out there are BioWare, Larian, CDPR, Ubisoft's 3 RPG teams and not to mention the dozens of smaller teams out there like Techland (Dying Light 2, which is said to go further with the RPG elements of the first game) or the Paradox studios (including Hardsuit who are making Vampire- The Masquerade Bloodlines 2)

And also, the market share that MS has is absolutely something worth looking at when approving the purchase, as especially in Europe they're a distant third

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

A company with monopoly power or anti-competitive power could double the price of one of their services and male all their consumers pay it because there's no alternative.

They could do just that after acquiring Zenimax. MS will have to be careful to not drastically increase pricing or may face fines.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
This will be rubber stamped. Unless Microsoft is trying to buy both Sony AND Nintendo, there's no real argument against something like this, especially when you look at marketshare and the number of publishers still out there.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
They could do just that after acquiring Zenimax. MS will have to be careful to not drastically increase pricing or may face fines.

I highly doubt Microsoft will be able to 'drastically' increase the price of Gamepass (or Gold) because:

1. They tried this already and failed.
  2. They don't yet control enough revenue (basically games sold) in the market to mean players wouldn't have alternatives.
  3. They are not the market leader in the console space.
  4. Zenimax alone doesn't make them monopoly publisher. Not even close at all.
The games market is maturing and consolidating but infinitely more competitive than say, a lot of energy companies or telecoms companies but Era seems to think the 3rd/2nd place competitor is a monopoly. Absolute madness!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should be able to close this deal soon then, and maybe Microsoft can be a little less vague about what they intend to do with the next big games from Bethesda (which almost certainly has to be "make them exclusive")
i remember phil spencer said something like they can't reveal their plans for bethesda games before the deal is finalized, as it would be illegal or something. i expect once everything is finalized they'll lay out their plans.

edit: found the quote (thread)
First of all, I would like to say that we haven't acquired ZeniMax. We have announced our intention to acquire ZeniMax. It is going through regulatory approval and we don't see any issues there. We expect early in 2021 the deal will close. But I say that because I want people to know, I'm not sitting down with Todd Howard and Robert Altman and planning their future. Because I'm currently not allowed to do that, that would be illegal. Your question is completely inbound, but I get a lot of questions right now: "is this game exclusive? Is this game exclusive?" And right now, that is not my job in regards to ZeniMax. My job is not to sit down and go through their portfolio and dictate what happens.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Going to be the new meme in a long line of anxious law related meme's about Xbox 🤣

Genre monopoly 🤣

I very clearly remember some people saying Disney would have a monopoly on super hero movies and then some people took that a step further and started saying Disney would have a monopoly on Marvel super hero movies when the Disney-Fox deal was going through the regulatory approval process. Impossible to say if it was in jest or not. I hope it was, but I doubt it.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
The only thing stopping Microsoft from being hyper aggressive in the space, really, is that they face a bit more scrutiny having been hit with the antitrust stick in the past. They're once bitten. .

And it wasn't even related to anything xbox or close to related in buying competition. It was because they failed to honor an early consent with IE and wrapping that in Windows.

Even with the Zenimax purchases, MS would own like 5% of all studios. woo! Huge, big monopoly.

Last edited:

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
The ps4 sold more than twice as many units as the Xbox one. If any company has a monopoly right know in the gaming Industry it's Sony or Nintendo. And Microsoft needs to buy a lot of publisher and devs until that changes.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Yep, if Microsoft would have a monopoly or would be close to it, they could've increased the price like this.
Yes, they can't legally lay out plans for a company they don't own yet. I wouldn't expect a full rundown thought, even though I'd like them being as clear as possible. However I think MS will talk about the plans of announced games like Starfield. But don't expect something like "Bethesda games will never be ported to XY" imo.
Even with the Zenimax purchases, MS would own like 5% of all studios. woo! Huge, big monopoly.
Hahahaha
Regulatory bodies are, by and large, completely toothless.
Doesn't matter in this or the case you quoted. Even good regulator wouldn't say anything when Microsoft buys another publisher. As someone else said, they control like 5% of the overall gaming revenue with hundreds of competitor's. That's not even close to monopoly and it's not an anti trust issue. You may not like it, but that's the situation.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Doesn't matter in this or the case you quoted. Even good regulator wouldn't say anything when Microsoft buys another publisher. As someone else said, they control like 5% of the overall gaming revenue with hundreds of competitions. That's not even close to monopoly and it's not an anti trust issue. You may not like it, but that's the situation.

Yeah I'd appreciate more honesty in this discussion if people just said:

"I've not been a fan of Microsoft in the past and I'm worried their financial power might put games that I like on a platform I don't like"

All this talk of monopoly is so wildly inaccurate its kind of obvious where it comes from.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Governments most certainly do step in to stop deals from happening, and even if a deal is not stopped outright, it's not uncommon for them to attach additional terms to a deal.

However, the circumstances around which intervention happens is centered on aspects such as national security (Broadcom/Qualcomm), running up against existing regulations (Disney/Fox), privacy, competition (both of which popped up in the Google/Fitbit deal), or similar concerns.

It does not arise due to consumer or investor sentiment.
Yes, they can't legally lay out plans for a company they don't own yet. I wouldn't expect a full rundown thought, even though I'd like them being as clear as possible. However I think MS will talk about the plans of announced games like Starfield. But don't expect something like "Bethesda games will never be ported to XY" imo.
Yes they can; that would be an integration plan, which begins far before ownership. Proper execution of such a plan is actually a common lynchpin on which deals hinge. Follow through happens with ownership; a company can choose to reveal a good bit of what they want to do on deal announcement; and they (or might not) might reveal more once the deal is assured - there is no law preventing planning.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

I doubt that. Netflix are the dominant global streaming service and have increased prices significantly in recent years. Spotify also. Neither have been blocked.

There are more players in the gaming platform/subscription space than in either the movie/music streaming.

Sony
Xbox
Nvidia GeForce Now
Shadow
Nintendo
Apple
Amazon
Steam
GOG
Epic
Hatch

and in terms of publishers, according to this list, List of video game publishers - Wikipedia

There's over 200 independent publishers still out there, let alone development studios. So MS acquiring a few more would be nowhere near a monopoly.

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Some people are really having a long hangover. Neither is this deal putting Microsoft anywhere close to a monopoly nor was it a hostile change of ownership. To the contrary, Bethesda looked to sell as we have learned from multiple sources, so they would have been under someone's wing anyway. They just chose, as they stated themselves, their longest and closest partner - at a price they found fine.

It is not a monopoly problem, it is an anti-trust problem due to the vertical integration. I am not really too concerned about this deal specifically but if anti-trust hadn't been neutered in the 80's, this exact type of deal would have been impossible.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
This take over isn't going to make a tangible difference to market share if that was their goal.

It will make them a lot of money if they keep the games on all the platforms though as they'll earn all that revenue from sales.

The worst thing they could do is make the games exclusive, they'll earn less money that way in my opinion.

Neo_ladeen

Jul 26, 2020
This take over isn't going to make a tangible difference to market share if that was their goal.

It will make them a lot of money if they keep the games on all the platforms though as they'll earn all that revenue from sales.

The worst thing they could do is make the games exclusive, they'll earn less money that way in my opinion.
Wow, like how Sony is making less money by not releasing God of War on PC and Xbox?

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
Wow, like how Sony is making less money by not releasing God of War on PC and Xbox?
Exactly.

Isn't it obvious that the more games you sell the more money you make?

If Nintendo suddenly started putting it's franchises on PlayStation and Xbox it's sales would go through the roof. But obviously would result in less console sales as it gives people less reason to buy a Nintendo console.

I know you're being sarcastic, but why else do you think Sony is exploring releasing more games on PC? It's to increase the number of sales.

Having s really good exclusive game certainly gives people a reason to buy a console, but I don't even feel there's a current Bethesda game that would sell consoles on it's own.

What I'm saying is I feel certain exclusives on PlayStation and Nintendo sell more consoles than any game from the catalogue of Bethesda/zenimax would.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

does this only apply to MS?

I know you're being sarcastic, but why else do you think Sony is exploring releasing more games on PC? It's to increase the number of sales.
but microsoft is already putting games on PC