• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Words mean things, folks.

Neither Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda nor Disney's acquisition of Fox come anywhere close to monopoly scenarios, regardless of how much you dislike them.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It's always a pleasure to see the defense force at work whenever the Bethesda acquisition is brought to the table. It is a disaster for the industry that the largest companies in the world use their unlimited capital from their own monopolies to buy companies that have always been cross-platform. I hope the European law tries to put a stop to it because I don't expect anything from American law.
I don't like the deal, and hope it never happened. But there is literally nothing wrong with it. "European law" can't make stuff up to please people on resetera.com.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
It's always a pleasure to see the defense force at work whenever the Bethesda acquisition is brought to the table. It is a disaster for the industry that the largest companies in the world use their unlimited capital from their own monopolies to buy companies that have always been cross-platform. I hope the European law tries to put a stop to it because I don't expect anything from American law.

Only thing really happening in this thread are people throwing around monopoly and anti trust without actually knowing what they mean. Zenimax wanted to sell. I'm sure they talked to Sony about it too.

What defense force? Sorry throwing monopoly and antitrust around without knowing what it means is nonsense and rightfully got called out. Some of those clarifing what the terms mean even said, they'd rather have world with Bethesda still being independent. But there is no legal issue, because it's not a monopoly and has nothing to do with anti trust.

Yup.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
And what arguments would the EU regulators give to stop the acquisition? "They have too many RPG studios" like someone else has said already? Come on.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
It's an example obviously, regardless of output it's a gigantic massively successful publisher buying out another massively successful publisher to get exclusive access to their stuff.

I don't even think these games will become exclusives, and I have money to buy whatever platform, but monopolies are still bad.

Owning every single studio capable of producing a certain game is indicative of the entity of the purchase.
It's like if Konami, Capcom, Sega, Square Enix, Falcom and more were all owned by one corporation.
It's not possible to have a monopoly over a genre.

Literally any dev could make a WRPG if they wanted to - MS owning a number of studios with a pedigree in the genre isn't going to stop them.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of CDPR and Bioware MS now owns pretty much every single Western RPG studio, for one. As dispassionate as one can be, buying a massive publisher is clearly a move towards a monopoly (unlike, say, buying Obsidian or NT).
This is hands down the funniest shit I've ever read on here. Imagine someone arguing this in court. "But no one else can develop western RPGs now, your honor." hahaha. Some of y'all need to get real.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

There are no rules stopping this. By the way Microsoft makes most of their money with Azure, in which they are #2 in the market. There are only two or three categories Microsoft could be seen as a monopolist or duopolist. Windows, Office365 and LinkedIn. Their other businesses such as Teams, Azure, Bing, Surface and Xbox are nowhere near any monopolistic situation.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
And what arguments would the EU regulators give to stop the acquisition? "They have too many RPG studios" like someone else has said already? Come on.
"I want to play it on PS, therefore I don't approve and my EU regulator mates, who own a switch don't approve it, too.". To answer your question seriously... I don't even know, because there is no legal reason to not allow it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's no defense force, you can't make up bogus arguments using legal terms and expect not to get called out. and european law will do nothing here, as this deal isn't against any law. this is a standard procedure.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Questions:

1. Is this the last step in the acquisition process?

2. When it says "by March 5th", do they mean thats the deadline for them to decide. So in theory, they can decide earlier than that, or they will decide on that day? I'm pretty sure its the former but I want to make sure
Just realized you asked the same question on reddit and got the same answer in both places.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't what a monopoly means and Microsoft almost definitely asked for a preliminary ruling before proceeding to the acquisition so there's very little chances the EU objects to it. Not like there'd be any precedent to it.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

"European law" approved the Disney-Fox merger with only minor caveats so we should all drop the pretence that anti-trust laws have teeth anymore (EU or otherwise).

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Outside of CDPR and Bioware MS now owns pretty much every single Western RPG studio, for one. As dispassionate as one can be, buying a massive publisher is clearly a move towards a monopoly (unlike, say, buying Obsidian or NT).

XBox market share in Europe has zilch to do with this
The EU cares about markets and industries, not about specific genres. It's not like Microsoft can use a dozen RPGs to make sure nobody buys The Witcher 4 or something like that.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Github closed three days after EU approval and Linkedin about three weeks after for what it's worth.

Gnaget1891

Sep 21, 2020
It's always a pleasure to see the defense force at work whenever the Bethesda acquisition is brought to the table. It is a disaster for the industry that the largest companies in the world use their unlimited capital from their own monopolies to buy companies that have always been cross-platform. I
Exactly the fileing show that they are evaluating it against the activity J.58.21 - publishing of computer games for all platforms. It's very hard to see how you would end up with a SSNIP-test showing Microsoft having monopoly power over publishing of computer games due to merely aacquiring Bethesda.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
This will pass easily. 99%.

However, it would be excellent news if the EU decided to block it for whatever reason.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

However, it would be excellent news if the EU decided to block it for whatever reason.
They wouldn't block it in any case. The only thing they would really do is tell MS to offload one or two of the European studios. But since between them they only have 4 studios in the EU that ain't happening.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Thread turned embarrassing real quick.

This will constantly and forever be ignored by specific people.
exactly

these topics continue to have hilarious takes in them based off of nothing but bias
the other topic on the main page has someone saying its a monopoly because too many WRPG

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It will pass obviously but in an ideal world it wouldn't

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

EU blocking it won't result in Zenimax not selling. They'll just sell to someone else instead, if everyone (America, EU, Japan, ...) blocks the move.
Github closed three days after EU approval and Linkedin about three weeks after for what it's worth.
Good to know. I wonder if we'll get a Xbox direct in April then.
Thread turned embarrassing real quick.

This will constantly and forever be ignored by specific people.
No lies detected.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
They wouldn't block it in any case. The only thing they would really do is tell MS to offload one or two of the European studios. But since between them they only have 4 studios in the EU that ain't happening.

This is not about the studios in EU. Where does this misinformation come from?

EU antitrust laws are about where these companies do business, not where these companies or studios are located.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I think it is Rare, Mojang, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, ID software Frankfurt, Arakane Lyon and Machine Games in Upsalla Sweden.

What other studios do they have there? Those would be 7.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I think it is Rare, Mojang, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, ID software Frankfurt, Arakane Lyon and Machine Games in Upsalla Sweden.

Again, this is not about the studios that are located in the EU. It's about the acquisition as a whole.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I guess Rare and Playground aren't part of any EU commision anymore anyway? UK isn't part of the EU anymore.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't think they care about Zenimax selling, more just who they're selling to.
Yep, this. It's ironic that at least two of the rumored options (Amazon and Google) are worse than Microsoft, because they have no history in this business and haven't shown yet how they manage first party studios. Furthermore the Bethesda games would be limited to less plattforms, if Google or Amazon bought them. The last argument can be used against Sony as well, because they usually support just PS and occasionally PS Now/PC.
It will pass obviously but in an ideal world it wouldn't
I wish Zenimax wouldn't have decided to sell to someone and stayed independent. However I still disagree with your assessment, because this isn't close to a monopoly or a antitrust issue. Companies should be allowed to purchase other companies, if it's to compete more in a market.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
For those curious, here are prior MS and Gaming cases

ec.europa.eu

Competition Policy

Competition Policy

ec.europa.eu

Competition Policy

Competition Policy

Now, I'm not an expert, but reading through this I think these will be the three biggest questions and answers.

1. With Microsoft and Zenimax owning launchers, will this in any way adversely effect competition in the PC space.

Answer: No. The market is dominated by Steam, GoG and Epic and will continue to be so. MS will likely still put games on Steam anyways.

2. Will this deal effect the ones signed by PlayStation with Zenimax (i.e. exclusivity on Deathloop and Ghostwire, games on PS Now, Fallout 4 in the PS Plus collection)

Answer: No. They will continue to honour past agreements as already publically stated.

3. Will this give Microsoft an overnight majority of the market and overtake its competition without having to compete in the EEAA (European Economic Activity Area)?

Answer: No. Xbox has the smallest marketshare by far in the area. PC is an open platform. Major third parties will still remain.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

UK isn't in the EU.

This is not about the studios in EU. Where does this misinformation come from?

EU antitrust laws are about where these companies do business, not where these companies or studios are located.
Where do you think those studios "do business"? Disney had to let go of a few EU based channels during the Fox merger. That's the limit of what the EU would do. They won't do that though, because 4 studios is a tiny amount.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
I think I read that Microsoft was making these purchases with European money that it has "trapped on the continent" for a tax issue or something.

Basically, money that cannot enter the United States and is better to invest than to have it unused.

Usually, this means they don't want to bring the money to the US because they would have to pay US taxes on it doing that.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
For those curious, here are prior MS and Gaming cases

ec.europa.eu

Competition Policy

Competition Policy

ec.europa.eu

Competition Policy

Competition Policy

Now, I'm not an expert, but reading through this I think these will be the three biggest questions and answers.

1. With Microsoft and Zenimax owning launchers, will this in any way adversely effect competition in the PC space.

Answer: No. The market is dominated by Steam, GoG and Epic and will continue to be so. MS will likely still put games on Steam anyways.

2. Will this deal effect the ones signed by PlayStation with Zenimax (i.e. exclusivity on Deathloop and Ghostwire, games on PS Now, Fallout 4 in the PS Plus collection)

Answer: No. They will continue to honour past agreements as already publically stated.

3. Will this give Microsoft an overnight majority of the market and overtake its competition without having to compete in the EEAA (European Economic Activity Area)?

Answer: No. Xbox has the smallest marketshare by far in the area. PC is an open platform. Major third parties will still remain.
Sums it up. Good post.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I guess Rare and Playground aren't part of any EU commision anymore anyway? UK isn't part of the EU anymore.
Forgot about brexit for a second, like in my early school days every new year I would mark the dates on my school books and notebooks as the previous year and it took me a while to get used to the new year, guess brexit hasnt settled in yet.

Also Ninja Theory not part of the EU commision either then, so it really is only 4.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK isn't in the EU.

Where do you think those studios "do business"? Disney had to let go of a few EU based channels during the Fox merger. That's the limit of what the EU would do. They won't do that though, because 4 studios is a tiny amount.

Xbox, the american branch, is doing business in Europe as well so what you're saying makes no sense. The EU will review the entirety of Microsoft and Zenimax' business in Europe, not just their few european studios. They will then determine if this merger provides a threat to the single market and its competition laws, and if it doesn't, will allow the merger to happen. If they have issues, they might require some amendments.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
A US company acquiring another US company. Doubt the EU can stop this from happening.