• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Good . But what about europeans traveling to America and then coming back ?
this... my in-laws are coming in from Eastern Europe in September for 2 months. This was after canceling their flight that was supposed to land here in the states today.

People from the EU and UK have been banned from travelling to the US since early March.

There's no indication those bans are ending any time soon.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Last year was our big travel year. 3 trips, 2 of those to Europe. Thankfully we didn't schedule anything when all this started. This sucks , but it's the absolute right think. We've undone the curve down. It's about to be an upside down curve lol

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an American, would I be able to go to Europe if I go through Canada first?

Or what if a European wants to come to the US? How will they go about it?

Well right now you're not able to go to Canada either and I'm hoping it stays that way for at least most of the rest of the year.

That's true, but even if it weren't, if you don't have a Canadian passport, or at least a Canadian residence, any EU border check will probably just refuse entry if you simply fly out of third country.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see twitter video clips of a bunch of white women screaming I WANT TO TALK TO YOUR MANAGER

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I am so looking forward to hitting Europe this year after being in Paris at the start, but fuck it. Keep us banned as long as you have too, and spray with disinfectant any US streaming media properties on their way into your ethernets, lol

Oct 27, 2017
as long as you're turning the 1%'s jets around too and telling them they're not welcome until we get our house in order

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Will this really effect America much anyway? Lol from what I've heard passports over there are rare compared to other countries

Fellow

Oct 27, 2017
It sure sucks for immigrants to America, like me, who would like to see their European family again some day!

Yep, me as well. Really pissed at how completely and thoroughly the US Gov. politicized and botched this thing. And being in Florida, I get to see the stupidity trickle down and parroted by mini-trump over here.

Talked to the family overseas the other day, and they've had one new case recently. One.

Absolutely infuriating ineptitude.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Good . But what about europeans traveling to America and then coming back ?
It's pretty difficult, legally speaking, for most countries to deny entry to their own citizens. So EU citizens coming back to the EU from the US will be allowed in. Exactly how that will work will depend on the country's own procedures for mitigating the spread of the virus but is likely to include at least a period of self-isolation in an address which is provided to local authorities.

This is kind of an academic question for now, though, since Europeans mostly can't get to the USA due to the USA's own travel ban and the small number of flights in operation. So the number of EU citizens in the USA who need to come back will be tiny.

I suppose Brazil is banned as well ?
Yes. The list will seemingly be based on the number of people infected in the past 14 days, per capita, for each country. If that country is doing notably worse on average than the EU, they'll be on the ban list.

Brazil will definitely be on the list of countries with higher infection rates than the EU, as will most of the rest of South America.

I can't read the article, do they talk about how long this ban is for even in terms of the *minimum length* it could last for?
There was a similar story earlier in the week quoting EU sources and the suggestion then was that the list would be reviewed every 14 days. That means there's a chance that the ban could be lifted fairly quickly, but it would depend on how quickly the USA got fortnightly infection numbers down to approximately EU-like levels per capita. So the length of the ban is however long it takes for that to happen.

As an American, would I be able to go to Europe if I go through Canada first?
Even if you get into Canada and get on a flight to Europe, you'll of course need to go through passport control and they'll presumably stop you. I suppose you might be able to get through if you can conclusively prove that you have spent the past two weeks or more in Canada, but for Americans who want to get to Europe, well, I'd probably strongly recommend against the approach of living in Canada for two weeks and then trying their luck with EU border control.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Was kinda worried this was going to happen, but I'm not surprised. I have a flight to Germany in late August, but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

veras

Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to compile of all the best places to visit during the period where US tourists can't ruin them

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So my wife and I's honeymoon is in September. We're booked for France/Italy/Switzerland.

This sucks but it's probably the right call...

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised it hasn't happened sooner.
It has. The EU asked member countries to ban most travel, and that ban was renewed several times, and is still in place.

What's happening now is that the EU are considering how to lift that ban (most importantly, which countries it will lift the ban on first). So it's not really the EU banning people from the US, it's more like the EU raising existing restrictions for a small list of countries which does not include the US.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if you sail across the Atlantic? You know someone's going to try it if they haven't already

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I can't blame them when the powers that be along with a not-insignificant portion of the population refuse to get their shit together.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Worldometer states that alone today 47k new corona cases were registered in the US. That's insane... It's multiple times that of all European countries combined.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the Karens yelling :"YOU CANNOT DENY ME ENTRY TO YOUR COUNTRY, I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN". My neighbor next door has family in Texas and they just had a big ass gathering the other day. My parents and I did heavy sanitizing the following day. Sigh.
The people always bitching about personal rights and support Trump are the same kind of people that believe the US is the best country in the world and have no desire to travel abroad.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What if you sail across the Atlantic? You know someone's going to try it if they haven't already
It depends on exactly where you fuck up. If you do it close enough to the USA, probably the US Coast Guard rescues you. If you do it close enough to Europe, probably the Irish Coast Guard rescues you, and then you get deported. If you fuck up somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic, then you die. If you make it to Europe without dying and without having to be rescued (and then deported) then you'll be in Europe, and I guess at that point you're going to be okay for as long as you can avoid interacting with any government organisations. Unfortunately that might be difficult unless you plan on abandoning your boat, because otherwise you'll probably have to deal with some kind of marine authority.