• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I dunno I tend to think of Playstation as the lead version of FROM games. Mostly because some of thier titles are exclusive to Playstation like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne but also I guess this release was way more mainstream than some of thier past ones.
I mean yeah, you personally can feel that way and that's fine. Everyone has a platform preference.

Lead platform is a bit loaded, could mean the best "performing game" (game performance) which yeah, Playstation is probably most consistent. Could also mean development wise was started on but I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to this but From. But sales wise, that's not really the case. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, DS3 sold 10 million copies and ~60% of it were on PC.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
It really highlights the work Xbox needs to do in the rest of Europe. They do reasonably well in UK, but when PC is 44%, Playstation is 40% and Xbox is 16% that is a huge huge difference. Looking at Dying Light 2 it was even worst, Playstation sold 72%, which must be a typo? In any case, there is so much talk about them trying to push into Japan, but continental Europe is just as big and important a fight.

or the more simple answer is that (they wont publicize it) the US is the biggest market, Asia, especially developing markets like South Asia, are a big opportunity and the EU is a more mature market that doesnt actually offer much growth potential so their dollar is better invested elsewhere

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
My fiancée can't fight the Tree Sentinel because of how much the game staggers in that one area, whereas it's smooth for me on console.
On the lowest settings, I assume?
It's wild how different PCs are, because it works fine for me, and I am BELOW minimum specs for both GPU and CPU.
(can't recall my CPU right now, but I'm running a 970)
Not that that means it's well optimized or excuses anything, just saying, super weird

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Elden Ring is interesting as a new IP, because in some sense of the idea it's not really a new IP. It's so clearly a souls game -- everything about the systems from front to back is the same as souls, and everyone knows it. It's just not linked within the text of the works ("canon").

In some sense, the core gameplay functions are really well worn IP, while of course the story and setting are a new IP. From has kind of done something new with moving into new IP here, in a way that maybe makes the idea of IP a little more complex (though to be fair this is the third time they have done this kind of move, between DeS, DS, BB, and now ER). It all hinges on their really familiar proprietary engine and it's systems which is another aspect of IP.

Last edited:

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Calling Elden Ring a new IP is kinda disingenuous.

Yeah, yeah, I know. You don't even need to @ me, but you know I'm right.

Cameron122

Rescued from SR388
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
the division, now thats a game I liked mechanically but its setting and plot kinda made me feel weird

Glad From is having this big success!!

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Not sure how its a New IP. The Division is clearly a NEW IP, this is as new as an IP as Breath of the Wild is a NEW IP. (*EDIT* sorry yea I see it has been said way too much in here haha)

But it definitely hit that perfect Zeitgeist balance, uses the successful FOMO attack.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how this breaks down on PS4/PS5 because you literally can't buy one without the other on PSN

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
I dunno I tend to think of Playstation as the lead version of FROM games. Mostly because some of thier titles are exclusive to Playstation like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne but also I guess this release was way more mainstream than some of thier past ones.
Playstation is 100% the lead version as far as FromSoft is concerned, but I think it's safe to say that the biggest chunk of their audience is on PC.

It honestly hasn't been bad at all for me but I guess I just lucked out spec-wise (1080 and an i7-8700)
It hasn't been too bad for me either, I think it's very CPU heavy since I have a worse GPU than you (1060) but my CPU is roughly equivalent (12400F)

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Not sure how its a New IP. The Division is clearly a NEW IP, this is as new as an IP as Breath of the Wild is a NEW IP. (*EDIT* sorry yea I see it has been said way too much in here haha)

But it definitely hit that perfect Zeitgeist balance, uses the successful FOMO attack.

Bruh, The Division is a fucking TOM CLANCY game lmao. It's in the title and has the same TC branding/logo as at least ten other Ubisoft games from the past decade. How is that MORE of a new IP than Elden Ring?

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018

Completely separate lore, world, characters. Obviously some references and throwbacks, but it is set in a new universe, very clearly so.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Bloodborne would probably sell better on PC than any other ports Sony could make. It's crazy it wasnt the first thing they ported.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Bruh, The Division is a fucking TOM CLANCY game lmao. It's in the title and has the same TC branding/logo as at least ten other Ubisoft games from the past decade. How is that MORE of a new IP than Elden Ring?
Because people literally say "Previous Souls Games" and "rank your favorite souls weapon/boss" etc. etc. I would never consider: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Blood Borne, Sekiro, Elden Ring to all be completely new IP's. But yea you are probably right, it is technically a new IP since it's not the same names. But it just feels wrong and using that descriptor in Gaming has different connotations.

It's not trying to take anything from it.

Edit: But now that you say that, I would then remove The Division from the NEW IP list as well, since it's Tom Clancy. But then would any game/movie made by an established director be considered to exist amongst their IP? There is a weird distinction there.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Bloodborne would probably sell better on PC than any other ports Sony could make. It's crazy it wasnt the first thing they ported.
Maybe when the Demons Souls Remake sells several million copies on PC, Sony will get interested.

But who knows? They haven't even been inspired to tidy up the console version as of yet.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
It's dark souls 4 with a smart marketing strategy.

Same base game wrapped in:
Pedigree + George Martin + open world

It's very well positioned.
It's the familiar, with a shiny new hat.

The formula was ready to pop and they dressed it appropriately… even the box art and posing and aesthetic is perfectly poised to make dark souls players feel respected and desired, with the big budget, partnerships, fresh name making it feel accessible without the burden of a # attached

And they stuck the landing hard on the game design itself. Dark Souls but "open world" talking points with the same core gameplay but more "accessible features" and it's not surprised it's a monster seller.

We talk about this game every day in meetings and I look forward to seeing the impact on other game designs in 3-4 years

Salamandra

Mar 10, 2022
Hello guys!
From the article I'm noticing that Horizon (PS4+PS5) outsold Pokemon Arceus and that Pokemon Arceus oversold PC Elden Ring (44% of total ER sales).. Right?

Soo would it be correct to say that Horizon sales (in Europe) are

Horizon sales >= 0.44 * Elden Ring sales
or
Elden Ring sold at most ~ 2.3 times Horizon
?

I'm just trying to figure out some actual sales figures for Elden Ring because I've seen a lot of weird data from gamesindustry.biz going around recently and I'd like to get somnething... concrete 😁.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Elden Ring is interesting as a new IP, because in some sense of the idea it's not really a new IP. It's so clearly a souls game -- everything about the systems from front to back is the same as souls, and everyone knows it. It's just not linked within the text of the works ("canon").

In some sense, the core gameplay functions are really well worn IP, while of course the story and setting are a new IP. From has kind of done something new with moving into new IP here, in a way that maybe makes the idea of IP a little more complex (though to be fair this is the third time they have done this kind of move, between DeS, DS, BB, and now ER). It all hinges on their really familiar proprietary engine and it's systems which is another aspect of IP.

You are right, it is interesting. They wholesale lift content from the Souls games (enemies, sound effects etc) and don't spend any effort dressing this up as something different. But at the same time, the world, new traversal options and volume of unique content is beyond a standard sequel.

Most devs aren't able to just... Straight up reuse content from a different IP. I guess this is only possible because Bamco published the Souls games as well?

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question. Are the Dark Souls games stories intrinsically connected? Like does anything harken back from DS3 to DS1? I actually don't know.
Yes. The Dark Souls games all take place in the same universe, and share some characters you either meet or read about in each game. This is muddied a little though because I believe Dark Souls was created without sequels in mind, and also Dark Souls 2 suffered some development issues and feels like its world could have been made entirely separate from Dark Souls. Still there is a lot more shared directly between them compared to the other 3 FROM Souls-type games.

However, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring each take place in their own distinct worlds.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hope more work is out into getting the PC version running well with this and future titles. It runs pretty badly on my system, although it is a little older (i5 6600k and 980ti).

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
From Software moved in and became a giant in the PC space.

Making PC a Tier 1 platform really paid off for them.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
From Software moved in and became a giant in the PC space.

Making PC a Tier 1 platform really paid off for them.

Dark, hard, action RPGs are super welcome on PC.

In some ways the world design etc in Elden Ring remind me more of a euro jank sort of style than what would usually come of Japan or Western devs.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's such a blessing that Sony completely mishandled their end of Demon's Souls, leading to From developing a spiritual successor for the multiplatform space. Ten years later and PC is now by far their strongest platform. Awesome to see.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in the "Dark Souls for PC" Steam community group that was one of the big pushes for the original. To see how far we have gone just makes me so happy to think From has a found a home on PC.