• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
I know Puerto Ricans hate it when Americans come to settle down on the island without ever bothering to learn the language, so the language requirement makes sense to me.
Puerto Rico official languages are both Spanish and English, even a lot of the population is not fluent in English.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Good, you can't participate in society or find work when you can't communicate.

It's disappointing to me that people don't see that this is very obviously something that kinda sounds good on paper and in a void, but will, in practice, just be used as an excuse for further discrimination against immigrants.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol yeah fuck macron. another decree only for brown people. sure aint gonna see no americans moving to denmark and finland who are gonna be "assimilated" to learn danish or finnish...

In case of the first one then if they desire to become a citizen they will very much have to learn the language yes. Source: Teaching it.

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
The hypocrisy of there being citizens and non-citizens of a country?

The hypocrisy of making one group of people learn the language because otherwise they can't possibly function or communicate, and not the other one, genius.

The entire argument here is that they need to learn the language or else they can't possibly function in their day-to-day lives... when there's a large group of people already doing just that and getting about just fine.

Y'all just being racist lmao

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
They aren't though lol

they can feel free to use their own language/culture as much as they want

They clearly wouldn't be able to or this wouldn't exist. People saying this would help them in their new home are ignoring that the subtext is, "It would help them by making me more comfortable." The sole thing this would accomplish is having more power over another's actions. I can already see someone responding, "I know you can understand me and if you don't I'm going to report you," for a person not wanting to interact with someone in their native language. Shit akin to that happens in the US now for petty reasons all the time. This just gives further power to assholes to ruin someone's life.

Macron mentions the idea is about allowing sanctions against those who don't follow through. This isn't about benefitting people and making their lives easier. It's about punishing them for not standing in line, including their own citizens who aren't immigrants.

His words are clear:

"Integration is a two-way street: providing support but expecting more in return (fordern und fördern) is a core principle in this. This means that migrants are expected to make an active effort to become integrated while they are offered help with integration through government integration measures.

"Along with recognition of European values, what successful integration means above all is learning the language of one's new country, earning a living for oneself and for one's family, and supporting the integration of one's children …

"It needs to be possible to sanction sustained refusal to integrate more strongly than has been the case to date. Organisations that support content hostile to integration will be excluded from receiving public funding."

That does not provide the freedom you talk about. It is actively punishing people for supporting it, including organizations that seek to help others who fall short of this. It's not normal.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Because some people use the law to their ends, while people who actually know the law try to rescue the people. And the same people who want people dead in the sea close the places where the refugees learn the language, get skills, have a shot at living in Europe. How ironic is that?
What people do you think are writing this law? And stop acting above Americans, Europe is very very very racist. And I say that as a person from Northern Ireland. At least I'm not acting blind to my countries failings like you.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do understand cameroon was fucking colonized. Like what the hell.
Yo, I'm agreeing with you lol.
My point is that the Western world came to other peoples lands to force their language and culture on them while not learning theirs, this is the same thing in reverse. Even 20 years ago you'd be hard pressed to get translated docs because the resistance to accommodate for language was so thorough.
Considering how the historical context led to this migrant situation, it's gross.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Health care in Sweden provides interpreters in person or by phone for people who don't speak Swedish. It is sometimes hard to find interpreters for unusual languages but that is not a huge problem. And the hospitals have phones...

Finland provides one at least when they're interacting with the welfare agency, but that's still leaving most of the usual life out of it. They wouldn't be able to interact with the local populace at all.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
What people do you think are writing this law? And stop acting above Americans, Europe is very very very racist. And I say that as a person from Northern Ireland. At least I'm not acting blind to my countries failings like you.
Oh we all share many faults, including systemic racism. That doesn't mean that it's ok to have infibulation legal.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
These are measures to get by in daily life. Many jobs require some understanding and communication with other people. Going shopping requires communication. Taking a taxi requires communication. Socializing with others requires a form on communication. Kids going to school require communication.

I've been in Mexico for over a year and I run most of the errands and only have a tiny bit of Spanish and I've been doing just fine. I work from home. Shopping require hardly any communication - you grab the stuff you want, you take it to the counter, and you pay. The uber app means that the uber driver already knows my destination before I get in the car. Kids are home schooled (and are studying Spanish). I have a wife & a kid and I like videogames - I wouldn't be socializing in an English-speaking country, much less a foreign one. I've learned a handful of words & phrases since arriving & I have a phone with google translate. Where I live has more foreigners than most cities here do, so there's a good number of people who speak English. And my wife knows some Spanish so she can deal with harder stuff.

I haven't tried harder to learn more Spanish because I don't know how much longer we're going to be here and also, I'm already bilingual and I know how hard it is to learn a language. And I figure, I've got Mandarin & a bit of Japanese, my wife has Spanish & French, and we've both got English as our native language, so between the two of us, there's a good chance that one of us will be able to communicate with the people we meet in countries we go to.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing to me that people don't see that this is very obviously something that kinda sounds good on paper and in a void, but will, in practice, just be used as an excuse for further discrimination against immigrants.
Only if they're not given the chance to actually learn the language, which could probably happen, sure, but then that's the problem and not the language requirement. The other proposals in that draft are far worse, starting with the effective ban on encryption. Basing integration on vaguely-defined "values" can also be abused, but again, that should then just be basic well-defined "values" like democracy and such things.

And sure, there are a lot of natural-born citizens who don't adhere to these values, but how's that supposed to be an argument? "We already have shitty people here, so everyone, just come on in"? You can't exactly deport German Neonazis.

The hypocrisy of making one group of people learn the language because otherwise they can't possibly function or communicate, and not the other one, genius.
Yes, that's having citizens and non-citizens, like every other country on Earth. Guess what, all non-citzens are ultimately threatened with something citizens could never be threatened with: deportation.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what point you are trying to make about far right people.
If they are making migrants get religous education, why are they not also doing this to people who are on the far right who also have certain ideologies that would be deemed "bad"

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I thought Europe already had these sorts of language requirements? When I was looking for places to immigrate to if Trump won again, I'm pretty sure that I saw Italy required you to learn Italian?

Wonder if it's a distinction between immigrants (choosing to relocate) and refugees (didn't have a choice)?

Oct 27, 2017
If they are making migrants get religous education, why are they not also doing this to people who are on the far right who also have certain ideologies that would be deemed "bad"

You mean de-radicalization training for far right extremists? I do think that happens, but if it doesn't, it would certainly be a good idea. Any extremist is a potentially dangerous extremist.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How can people even compare this to what is happening in China... the fuck. That is like taking a huge shit on the Muslim minorities in China.

Also, I guess they will also allow English at the end when it is rectified ?

Last edited:

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
Yes, that's having citizens and non-citizens, like every other country on Earth. Guess what, all non-citzens are ultimately threatened with something citizens could never be threatened with: deportation.

This deserves to be on @ButNoPotato at twitter dot com. You're so close to getting it! You can do it!

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yo, I'm agreeing with you lol.
My point is that the Western world came to other peoples lands to force their language and culture on them while not learning theirs, this is the same thing in reverse. Even 20 years ago you'd be hard pressed to get translated docs because the resistance to accommodate for language was so thorough.
Considering how the historical context led to this migrant situation, it's gross.
Oh okay lol my bad. Right they definitely did. shit like this is not fixing the issue, most of these people would gladly be fine living in their home countries but look at what the fuck happened to Syria and other places. Because of the west. Like this shit is wild to me. Its a problem the west created and they dont want to deal with it. Just beat these people up even more. Every single culture has shitty ass people. thinking just because they speak the language or get religious education and that fixes things is just colonialism in another form treating them like they are barbarians and shit.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you move to a country for a longer period of time or to join the work force you should learn the language 🤷 so there should be mandatory (but free) classes so you can feel comfortable talking in the countries language at least on an basic level.
It's the same thing I did when I moved to another country. I sat down and learned the language.

Oct 30, 2017
Germany has pretty strict laws and our education system makes sure that you know that Nazis suck. (doesn't work everytime though, look at AfD)

Furthermore:

Volksverhetzung, in English "incitement of the masses", "instigation of the people" (the official English translation of the German Criminal Code uses "incitement to hatred"[1][2]), is a concept in German criminal law that refers to incitement to hatred against segments of the population and refers to calls for violent or arbitrary measures against them, including assaults against the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously maligning, or defaming segments of the population.[1][2][3]

It is often applied to, though not limited to, trials relating to Holocaust denial in Germany. The criminal code (Strafgesetzbuch) Chapter 7 (Offences against public order), Paragraph 130 (Incitement to hatred) of the Federal Republic of Germany defines when a person is guilty of Volksverhetzung.[1][2][3]

(...)

Whosoever, in a manner capable of disturbing the public peace:

(...)

shall be liable to imprisonment from three months to five years.[1][2]

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Europe already had these sorts of language requirements? When I was looking for places to immigrate to if Trump won again, I'm pretty sure that I saw Italy required you to learn Italian?

Wonder if it's a distinction between immigrants (choosing to relocate) and refugees (didn't have a choice)?
I'm unclear on this as well, but I hope that this is the case.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You mean de-radicalization training for far right extremists? I do think that happens, but if it doesn't, it would certainly be a good idea. Any extremist is a potentially dangerous extremist.
This is why if they are going to do these things it cannot just target ONE part of their society. I'd actually be okay if it was a broad de-radicalization thing for far right fucks who are no different than the other people who use terror. But this is not whats happening here.
You know you go to jail if you go around parading as a fascist or a nazi either in Italy or Germany, do you?
This is not a uniform thing and you know it.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
This doesn't mean you have to forget your Original language lol. As long as government provides free language instructors I'm okay with this

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Also, this can be good since it would force
countries to actually offer training and education for immigrants instead of forgetting about em.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The language thing sounds okay to an extent...learning languages isn't something everybody is good at, so for a new immigrant I don't think that it is fair to force them to know it. We have so much tech now that getting around language barriers is much easier. I think at the very least mandatory language lessons paid for by the government would be a better way to bring this about because it would also help the community of new citizens meet people like them and better their skills with each other.

But the actual integration and assimilation aspect is what I disagree with wholeheartedly.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You know you go to jail if you go around parading as a fascist or a nazi either in Italy or Germany, do you?
This is not a uniform thing and you know i
Germany has pretty strict laws and our education system makes sure that you know that Nazis suck. (doesn't work everytime though, look at AfD)

Furthermore:

Volksverhetzung, in English "incitement of the masses", "instigation of the people" (the official English translation of the German Criminal Code uses "incitement to hatred"[1][2]), is a concept in German criminal law that refers to incitement to hatred against segments of the population and refers to calls for violent or arbitrary measures against them, including assaults against the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously maligning, or defaming segments of the population.[1][2][3]

It is often applied to, though not limited to, trials relating to Holocaust denial in Germany. The criminal code (Strafgesetzbuch) Chapter 7 (Offences against public order), Paragraph 130 (Incitement to hatred) of the Federal Republic of Germany defines when a person is guilty of Volksverhetzung.[1][2][3]

(...)

Whosoever, in a manner capable of disturbing the public peace:

(...)

shall be liable to imprisonment from three months to five years.[1][2]

this isnt across the EU.
The language thing sounds okay to an extent...learning languages isn't something everybody is good at, so for a new immigrant I don't think that it is fair to force them to know it. We have so much tech now that getting around language barriers is much easier. I think at the very least mandatory language lessons paid for by the government would be a better way to bring this about because it would also help the community of new citizens meet people like them and better their skills with each other.

But the actual integration and assimilation aspect is what I disagree with wholeheartedly.
If this was something as a welcoming thing, I'd be all for it. This is not whats happening here.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a person who has twice been an immigrant, this is kind of fucked up. I understand some of the reasoning behind it but especially for an adult with a family it's not exactly easy to just learn a new language. Obviously learning the language in a new country is a huge bonus, but let's see how many people would have the energy to do this after having to do some heavy physical labor all day while making minimum wage and coming home to take care of their family.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In case of the first one then if they desire to become a citizen they will very much have to learn the language yes. Source: Teaching it.

lol. i have dual citizenship. no one cares about my "assimilation", my employer pays for some private tutoring, i get a certificate - presto, bob's your uncle. no one gives a rats fuck that i don't actually speak the language. do you wonder why?

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Exit programmes exist for Neonazis at least in Germany and Austria, but you can hardly deport natural-born citizens. A lot of most Nazis' favourite activities (like heightened exercise with the right arm) are crimes, though, so that helps quite a lot.
This is why twitter account @ButNoPotato was made. You're so close to getting it!
So what's your actual argument here? Citizenship is unfair? No borders for everyone? Like, okay, that's at least a nice ideal to strive for, but actual politics is still more set in the here and now.

Even then, you'd still probably have to learn the language of your peers to be able to communicate with them. And I mean, it would be so easy to flip this draft into something positive like "Okay, then we'll want free courses for everyone and money for those who have to learn the language instead of searching for work". Everyone wins. If we're talking striving for ideals, that is.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think language courses should be given for free, while really promoting that. But I don't think that you can demand it.
I think if the people need the language skills they will start picking it up from everyday life, it's something that develops.
And as a Dutch citizen I don't really care what languages you speak. That really doesn't have to do anything with me.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is good to have people learn the language of the place they live, because otherwise they end up in isolated ghetto's without chances in the job market. But apparantly that is better according to some.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
As a person who has twice been an immigrant, this is kind of fucked up. I understand some of the reasoning behind it but especially for an adult with a family it's not exactly easy to just learn a new language. Obviously learning the language in a new country is a huge bonus, but let's see how many people would have the energy to do this after having to do some heavy physical labor all day while making minimum wage and coming home to take care of their family.

That is why, like Sweden, we have welfare for this group for a loner period of time, which ties into learning Swedish actually.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

School is free in Europe, for everyone, and so are language courses for foreigners. And you're not really forced to integrate either. Around me there's plenty of people not speaking the local language and having signs in their own language from all different cultures and it's pretty normal and chill.

There are entire streets in my city where it's harder to get by by only knowing italian instead of chinese actually, and that's cool.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
We literally have a thread on here of how fucking stupid the English language is at times. MOST of these people do not come to these countries to cause harm. They want peace.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is good to have people learn the language of the place they live, because otherwise they end up in isolated ghetto's without chances in the job market. But apparantly that is better according to some.

Yeah, I'm curious how people here would solve those situations. No one benefits from that status

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Please quote a post where someone argued what you're saying they did. I'll wait.

Yeah, I'm curious how people here would solve those situations. No one benefits from that status

Incentivize them. Forced assimilation leads to resentment. Acting like they aren't part of the country simply because they have different customs and/or language is wrong. Give them the ability to do so through free language programs.

Thorakai

Oct 27, 2017
Learning a new language is much, much easier when you are immersed in it every single day. My parents knew jackshit English but they managed to learn and become essentially fluent overtime. Outright putting a language barrier up-front makes sure that only the most affluent, privileged people are allowed in.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
lol. i have dual citizenship. no one cares about my "assimilation", my employer pays for some private tutoring, i get a certificate - presto, bob's your uncle. no one gives a rats fuck that i don't actually speak the language. do you wonder why?
Do you have dual citizenship since birth or for ancestral reasons? Because that would easily answer your question, you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.