• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Lower it if needed of course, but don't be a dick and charge the same as always to those who are paying for the full resolution (who might not even notice).

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck can the communication networks not handle people staying home working.. is it all the email or all the word and excel documents that use up all bandwidth? How can the load actually be greater than in the evening when everyone is home streaming as usual?

Im calling bullshit at most people actually working when they "work at home". They all be streaming Netflix.
Imagine all the people that spend their evenings shopping, going to the gym, going to a restaurant or a bar, participating in sports, going to music school, ... Now remember none of that is possible. So you have doubled the number of people that is home. And then you have to think that these people are home, and during the day, regular television broadcasts aren't that interesting. So the number of people being home is a lot higher than on a normal evening. This is by far the most stress that is ever put on these networks as literally everybody is home. That never happened.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Limit it to 720p, make it free for all for the duration of the restrictions.

Make Broadband provision part of the necessary national infrastructure and it's workers part of the "key worker" designation such as the emergency services, utility services and food provision.

None of this is unreasonable in todays circumstances.

The goal is to limit boradband usage because the networks are overloaded. I don't think making Netflix free is a good strategy to reduce traffic.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
some of the replies here are not surprising. 4k for some over accessibility for everyone. Holy fucking shit

Tracygill

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Left
The AV enthusiasts who really care about 4k can still acquire 4k versions of the content they want to watch. It's legal to share content with close friends and family in some EU countries.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there really a bandwidth issue? I thought that's just due to artificial throttling imposed by internet service providers.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
You could make the argument that the less "interruptions" there are to daily pleasures and things you enjoy doing the more likely people will remain calm and just take the quarantine / self isolation in stride.

If our ability to remain calm and contribute in a minimal way to the relief effort is a function of how many pixels we get in video streams, we're all fucked.

People are dying. We should all be willing to sacrifice daily pleasures to help get through this. They didn't even ask Netflix to stop serving people, just to tone it down.

People are just selfish.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
speaking of traffic, here's study from 2018 (note: EU is part of EMEA)

sandvine-global-internet-phenomena-report-october-2018.png

variety.com

Netflix Eats Up 15% of All Internet Downstream Traffic Worldwide (Study)

Netflix streaming video consumes a significant 15% of all internet bandwidth globally, the most of any single application, per a new report.

LoveAndBeer

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lexington, KY
What kind of work are you doing that would struggle on 150 gb? I'm not sarcastic btw
You were talking to another member who replied, but I was curious what my usage yesterday was:
Code:
                     rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
     ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
     yesterday     23.93 GiB |   12.00 GiB |   35.93 GiB |    3.49 Mbit/s

I'd run through a 150GB limit in about 6 days.
Yesterday was me working (14 hours at my work desk) and my two college aged daughters at home (so one playing WoW (relatively light throughput actually) and the other streaming music, not video). They definitely were some of that usage no doubt, but most people working from home are in the same situation with other family members, can't assume 100% of data is dedicated to work.

So that 24gb was no Video streaming services last night at all. No downloading new games. That was 12+ hours of work WebEx (when it is up, and these days usually just voice no video), constant updates of multiple server hosted docs and more email than I can handle right now. All day with teams around the world.
My wife is still going into the office (that's a rant) but will be home Mon and Tue for a deep clean at work, and her work load will be similar, so it will go up.

I'm just saying it is very easy to hit gigabytes a day with server based workloads. Especially when those days are busier than normal. 150gb can easily be hit with spreadsheets and presentations and word docs an email, much less heavier file loads (sound / video).

Caps are evil is pretty much my point of all of this.

Be safe out there everyone.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
You're putting your own comfort over the lives of sick people. I don't see why I shouldn't be hostile towards someone like you.
You're reading way too much into my intentions. Wind your neck in.

Not to mention you're engaging in making hyperbolic claims about people dying. Chill out. It doesn't help when you go around triggering panic and anxiety in people.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what happens when you don't invest in infrastructure. And this is Europe we're talking about, some countries/continents are in even worse shape than that.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
daily reminder that your content providers don't use modern technology for queueing packets hence these problems.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I really don't see how it would make any significant difference. Some of the replies in this thread though, I guess Era shouldn't surprise me anymore.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention you're engaging in making hyperbolic claims about people dying. Chill out. It doesn't help when you go around triggering panic and anxiety in people.
But people ARE dying. Some Era users are really really showing their selfish / ignorant / stupid / idiotic asses in the last days.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Convenience trumps the public good, it seems.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I pay for UHD. If they lower it to SD I want to pay 1/4 of the OG price.

It's funny that you think you're actually getting UHD quality video from Netflix. You should compare UHD Blu-ray bitrates vs. Netflix sometime. You'd be in for a shock.

As far as the payment goes, I agree with you there.

You can't honestly tell me someone has died from Coronavirus because someone here watched Netflix in 4K.

What am I even reading any more.

That is an incredibly uncharitable reading of that post.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what the issue is here

Throttle netflix during work hours. Issue solved.

Also DE-CIX(Frankfurt) has a max capacity of 54.1TB/s and according to them the current usage is around 6.3TB/s.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what the issue is here

Throttle netflix during work hours. Issue solved
You want them to throttle Netflix when a bunch of people in here just said they wouldn't even accept non-throttled SD to help the infrastructure load?

Bold strategy Cotton. 👀 People would riot in the streets.

And in turn hasten the spread.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No of course not. I clearly lack basic reading comprehension.

Do me a favour.

You clearly do. Here are two statements:

Jesus was a controversial figure and ended up dying.
The Internet was a wonderful invention and it has brought me real joy.

You: "The Internet killed Jesus?!!!"

Come on.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If network infraestructure does become bottlenecked, then hell yeah your Netflix'es and YouTubes of the world can take a hit on their visual quality. There are far more pressing issues to worry about right now.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
You clearly do. Here are two statements:

Jesus was a controversial figure and ended up dying.
The Internet was a wonderful invention and it has brought me real joy.

You: "The Internet killed Jesus?!!!"

Come on.
Would love to know how your brain works to see how you've come to that conclusion. What a fucking patronising piece of work you are.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
You have no idea what you're talking about. Jesus Christ, you are ignorant and selfish.

Aren't you the person who stated streaming at 4K could kill someone?

And I don't know what I'm talking about.

Again, wind your fucking neck in with the insults. I'm all for lessening the impact on telecom networks in case vital services require access.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't you the person who stated streaming at 4K could kill someone?

And I don't know what I'm talking about.

Again, wind your fucking neck in with the insults. I'm all for lessening the impact on telecom networks in case vital services require access.
If the networks get overburdened from people using 4K on Netflix, someone could die because the networks aren't working properly! How do you not grasp that?! If forcing streaming in lower resolution relieves the burden of the network, it's VERY VERY HELPFUL.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Folks, let's calm down. Times are tense, and we don't need to be tense with each other.