• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
2017 vs 2021

Et-1-sxWQAY0cF_

Et-2ELCXIAIvIvM

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
So assuming Starfield is exclusive. It probably is. Are the people expecting it to be out this year just expecting them to throw out the almost finished PlayStation version and throw away all that money?
No guarantee they have even touched a playstation version yet, especialy if it slips out of 2021.

Either way that is not a deal breaker for MS if their strategy is to have the games exclusive, they are no strangers to burning money for years to make a lot more later and they are arguably doing that right now in gaming.

It is not necessarily EEE but it isnt what a lot of people consider playing fair either.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
MS needs to clarify exclusivity now.
The meltdowns will be big, no matter what they announce. Fanboys will be pissed lol

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
No guarantee they have even touched a playstation version yet, especialy if it slips out of 2021.

Either way that is not a deal breaker for MS if their strategy is to have the games exclusive, they are no strangers to burning money for years to make a lot more later and they are arguably doing that right now in gaming.

It is not necessarily EEE but it isnt what a lot of people consider playing fair either.

Their intentions is obvious, you're right that they are planning to burn money to dominate the subscription and cloud market. No other company except Amazon has that financial power.

But the EA Play and rumoured Ubisoft+ integration to GPU is interesting. Initially, Microsoft will be paying a lot for these services to appear on Game Pass, but when Game Pass gains many subscribers, then the balance of power shifts towards Microsoft, especially considering if EA Play and Ubisoft+ left Game Pass, then it will be a disaster to their subscriber numbers. (Half of EA Play's subscriber base is from Game Pass Ultimate)

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Prey 06 is already listed for 360 and available on back compat. In fact it was never delisted there.

You might be confusing the situation with the PC version, in which it wasn't so much delisted as it was literally sold out; 2K games ran out of CD keys and due to how it ended up on Steam (it was originally made for a competing store front that completely melted, resulting in a rather hasty transition) they seemingly lost the ability to generate any more.

Wow this is funky. I've heard this stated about this before, but I can't wrap my head around how it is possible for digital storefronts and publishers to only have a finite stock of keys. I'm guessing it would take something like them remastering the game, like EA is with Mass Effect, essentially releasing a new product to make it available again? I dunno anything about program engineering, but what if the 06' game somehow offered a vulnerability to users windows security? Could MS bring out a patch if they wanted to, hypothetically?

Appreciate the insight if you have any.

Seperately, It's kinda too bad there are two completely different and equally brilliant separate uses of the IP. I feel like any company would only focus on growing it from Arkane's version, which makes sense.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
That's why the game was removed from sale but not why it was delisted altogether. The key requirement is just an id Tech thing; the game used the same Master Server-based multiplayer system as past id games and wasn't tied to any third-party service.
Except it does, in fact the very CD key system is used for the master server (a multiplayer server will boot you if your key fails authentication on the master, a system that actually originated in Quake3 in an early form) as well as the game itself in which it presents a key auth if your key is missing. It's a similar system to that of Doom3s, though a different server/service.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
User Banned (2 weeks): Accusations of shilling over a series of posts, multiple prior bans for console wars, account still in junior phase
There you have it.
From MS' unofficial spokesperson, too.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Except it does, in fact the very CD key system is used for the master server (a multiplayer server will boot you if your key fails authentication on the master, a system that actually originated in Quake3 in an early form) as well as the game itself in which it presents a key auth if your key is missing. It's a similar system to that of Doom3s, though a different server/service.

I'm not saying the multiplayer functionality wasn't and isn't intrinsically linked to CD keys but rather that Bethesda's ability to generate additional ones isn't tethered to a now-defunct company.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Wow this is funky. I've heard this stated about this before, but I can't wrap my head around how it is possible for digital storefronts and publishers to only have a finite stock of keys. I'm guessing it would take something like them remastering the game, like EA is with Mass Effect, essentially releasing a new product to make it available again? I dunno anything about program engineering, but what if the 06' game somehow offered a vulnerability to users windows security? Could MS bring out a patch if they wanted to, hypothetically?
There's a sort of friction on these things, the longer you leave something the harder it is to reopen the code. I imagine they still have the code though, it'd just take someone brave enough to pitch doing the job.

I'd certainly like to see it happen, Prey06 was fantastic.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
What? I'm not saying the key wasn't tied to multiplayer functionality but rather that Bethesda's ability to generate additional ones isn't tied to a now-defunct company.
CD Keys of that style are asynchronous. You need the private key to generate the public keys, and from what it seems, it's that private key that was lost when they moved the game. Triton's demise seemed to make an absolute mess of everything.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
CD Keys of that style are asynchronous. You need the private key to generate the public keys, and from what it seems, it's that private key that was lost when they moved the game.

I find it rather difficult to believe 2K would be so careless, but even assuming that to be accurate, there's absolutely nothing preventing Bethesda from using a cracked executable (which, most famously, is what R* did when it released Max Payne on Steam) and updating the store page to say multiplayer is no longer functional. Existing owners wouldn't need to be affected, either, as Bethesda could create a new data depot and a new store/key licence.

Edit: Also, even assuming Prey06 is indeed a lost cause, there's still the matter of Quake Wars and Wolf09, the former of which was confirmed to be delisted due to publishing rights changing hands per Activision Support and the latter of which was actually bundled with a Polish PC gaming magazine a few years after its delisting (not the Steam version, however).

Edit edit: To be clear, I don't mean to rule out the possibility your understanding of the situation is correct, but surely you can agree that Bethesda willingly sitting on two games, re-releasing another only after it was "scrubbed", and Hines refusing to actually delineate the supposed "technical issues" coalesce into a certain picture.

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Congrats to Microsoft. Guess we will see the PR today or tomorrow.

I don't expect them to talk about exclusivity and stuff like that any time soon.

Oct 28, 2017
I wish they would add one more qualifier to the above two formulas:

1. First and best on Xbox

2. Case by case basis

3. Mandatory cross play

Nov 8, 2017
This is a singular quote from late last year. We've had quotes from Spencer that sounded very different. Wait and see.

My current plan is as follows:

1. If they announce that games won't be exclusive, then I'll point to that interview with the dude who said "first or better or best" just like Tom is here.
  2. If they announce everything is going to be exclusive then I'll point to the Phil interview where he said "no" to the idea of playstation being required to make the math work
  3. If they don't announce anything concrete or stick to "case by case basis " talk, then I'll point to the interviews that said "we will evaluate on a case by case basis".
In all 3 scenarios, I'll say it was incredibly obvious, and that everyone who thought differently was a huge idiot for not seeing these completely clear, unambiguous signals that were sent out by Microsoft.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to announce or put a press release about exclusivity like let's get the whole internet riled up against us.

They'll hold their games event / conference whenever and it'll have the general tag at the start all of these games are exclusive to Xbox / PC and the Bethesda games will be part of that.

Spirited

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

1. If they announce that games won't be exclusive, then I'll point to that interview with the dude who said "first or better or best" just like Tom is here.
  2. If they announce everything is going to be exclusive then I'll point to the Phil interview where he said "no" to the idea of playstation being required to make the math work
  3. If they don't announce anything concrete or stick to "case by case basis " talk, then I'll point to the interviews that said "we will evaluate on a case by case basis".
In all 3 scenarios, I'll say it was incredibly obvious, and that everyone who thought differently was a huge idiot for not seeing these completely clear, unambiguous signals that were sent out by Microsoft.
LOL, spot on!

M4xim1l1ano

Oct 29, 2017
Santiago, Stockholm, Vienna
Nah, that's not what this is about.
He's deeply connected with MS and seems to prepair people for the inevitable disappointment of some... Xbox fans.

Would be stupid for Xbox fans to be disappointed. Xbox will for sure get Bethesda games, other platforms not so sure.
Bethesdas games will not get bad/worse just because they are on other platforms as well.

MS can go the traditional route and make all first party games exclusive or they can release some games on other platforms in a way to entice them to get Gamepass somehow.

But the strongest incentive to get Gamepass/Xbox hardware is to lock Bethesdas games as exclusive to the MS controlled platforms.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Would be stupid for Xbox fans to be disappointed. Xbox will for sure get Bethesda games, other platforms not so sure.
Bethesdas games will not get bad/worse just because they are on other platforms as well.

MS can go the traditional route and make all first party games exclusive or they can release some games on other platforms in a way to entice them to get Gamepass somehow.

But the strongest incentive to get Gamepass/Xbox hardware is to lock Bethesdas games as exclusive to the MS controlled platforms.

Whats the difference between steam and ps/switch?

EU statement
OP
OP
Xando

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Mergers: Commission clears acquisition of ZeniMax by Microsoft

The European Commission has approved, under the EU Merger Regulation, the acquisition of ZeniMax Media Inc. by Microsoft Corporation, both of the U.S. ZeniMax is a company that develops and publishes games for personal computers ('PCs'), gaming consoles, and mobile devices. Microsoft is a global technology company, which develops, publishes, and distributes games for PCs, consoles, and mobile devices. The Commission concluded that the proposed acquisition would raise no competition concerns, given the combined entity's limited market position upstream and the presence of strong downstream competitors in the distribution of video games. The transaction was examined under the normal merger review procedure. More information is available on the Commission's competition website, in the public case register under the case number M.10001
ec.europa.eu

Press corner

Highlights, press releases and speeches
No competition concerns

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
AgonizingGreatFiddlercrab-max-1mb.gif
giphy.gif

Waiting for the giant Xbox Wire post.

Hahaha, amazing. Microsoft couldn't be more obtuse about the situation. Smart guys.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Edit edit: To be clear, I don't mean to rule out the possibility your understanding of the situation is correct, but surely you can agree that Bethesda willingly sitting on two games, re-releasing another only after it was "scrubbed", and Hines refusing to actually delineate the supposed "technical issues" coalesce into a certain picture.
Keep in mind that it always ultimately makes more sense to sell a game than not, and they are still selling it on xbox and approved it for distribution for back compat. If they wanted to forget the game existed, ignoring BC would have been the opportunity.

Jun 15, 2020
We'll see. I think people should be prepared for most games being multi.
And if you're not a console warrior you should be happy.
Makes zero difference to me as a Game Pass owner, but they would be shooting themselves in the foot. Unbelievable waste of money. Couod have made a Game Pass deal for like a quarter of the cost. I guess it makes some difference to me actually, in as much as they could have spent that money on better stuff for their platform owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.