• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
i think microsoft will look to make some new studio acquisitions under the bethesda name now. they've expanded XGS a lot and adding even more might make it hard to manage.
I don't think there will be new acquisitions into that publishing arm, but I think there might be a 'doubling-up' of some existing studios, if there's scope for that.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Wait, but that is illegal!

Seriously, why did they approve this?

They should know this acquisition gives MS a monopoly over the RPG genre.

This should never have been allowed to go through.

Edit: Also did we just get a simmilar thread feature today I wasnt aware of?

Last edited:

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I'm really excited to see how this impacts the studios. Especially Arkane, just give them all the money and let them go buck wild lol.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there will be new acquisitions into that publishing arm, but I think there might be a 'doubling-up' of some existing studios, if there's scope for that.
i don't see why not. zenimax has been pretty active in buying or setting up new studios (alpha dog, roundhouse games, zenimax online san diego all since 2019), i don't see that stopping once they're a microsoft subsidiary.

expanding the existing teams will of course happen as well.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Urgh... Then they can shut down for all I care.
I'm not paying 30 euros for indie games and some 1st party games.
Game Pass has 18 million subscribers so that's 18 million dollars income per month. We know this ain't sustainable, so they'll want to get even asap, like in a year.

So 7 500 000 000 : 18 000 000 : 12 = 34,7 dollars per user per month. I'm an economics expert so I bet they'll announce the new subscribtion price as soon as today.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the family! Exciting future ahead for both Xbox and Bethesda.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Game Pass has 18 million subscribers so that's 18 million dollars incone per month. We know this ain't sustainable, so they'll want to get even asap, like in a year.

So 7 500 000 000 : 18 000 000 : 12 = 34,7 dollars per user per month. I'm an economics expert so I bet they'll announce the new subscribtion price as soon as today.

Wow, you must be one hell of a funny guy. Respect, man.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The EU are just Microsoft fanboys.

I'm glad the UK has left the EU where this won't be approved.

/s

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Game Pass has 18 million subscribers so that's 18 million dollars income per month. We know this ain't sustainable, so they'll want to get even asap, like in a year.

No.That would be $270 million per month, at the current Ultimate cost of $15/month per user.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Wait, but that is illegal!

Seriously, why did they approve this?

They should know this acquisition gives MS a monopoly over the RPG genre.

This should never have been allowed to go through.

Edit: Also did we just get a simmilar thread feature today I wasnt aware of?
There are still a ton of RPG studios out there and new ones release almost every other month, just check out Steam. In fact they literally have no footprint in the Japanese RPG scene so they can't really dominate the space when half the RPGs don't even come to Xbox.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Looing forward to seeing the MS release on this one, we can all guess but I think MS will fund and continue to let Bethesda do what it does so well with little interfearence as long as it's now aligned to the Xbox and Game Pass strategy, like they have with other studios.

It's interesting as the hardware is constrained and selling 100% of units they can push on PC and Cloud where there isn't the limitations right now and as the new releases come in it will be interesting to see where they land in the lifespans of the platforms.

As for the Game Pass price stuff, it will go up as all subscriptions do but I can't see it happening for a while (especially as people are locked into the price for 2 years with all access). What I do see is a family plan coming to allow game & cloud access over the 1 licence for console and 1 licence per account.

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
It would be amazing if Bethesda announced that it now had the security and scope to expand its number of studios/ IPs. People are looking at the size of Bethesda now, but most of Xbox's existing acquisitions have vastly increased their headcount since joining.
My dream is MS staffing up BGS until they can multitask at least 2 titles in parallel with two separate teams (TES and Fallout). Waiting 12-15 years between installments is not nice, and now that Starfield enters the equation won't make it any easier.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I know you're kinda joking with this ... but i would be so damn stoked if MS would make another, good Commander Keen game. Not that mobile stuff that's on the menu ...

This is my childhood ... okaay, a part of it.

I would already be stoked with a nice HD remake of Secret of the oracle. That game was the first game I ever played so it will always have a special place for me!

Raigor

May 14, 2020
My dream is MS staffing up BGS until they can multitask at least 2 titles in parallel with two separate teams (TES and Fallout). Waiting 12-15 years between installments is not nice, and now that Starfield enters the equation won't make it any easier.

They started doing that after Fallout 4.

As of this year they have 4 BGS studios and over 400 employees.

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
Curious when MS is going to announce their release plans for upcoming Bethesda games. Guessing they want to do that sooner rather than later. Still not a fan of this acquisition and what it means for us gamers, but hey grats to MS I guess.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
As for the Game Pass price stuff, it will go up as all subscriptions do but I can't see it happening for a while (especially as people are locked into the price for 2 years with all access). What I do see is a family plan coming to allow game & cloud access over the 1 licence for console and 1 licence per account.

I think Game Pass Ultimate will be $15/month for a while, but I think they'll do things like de-emphasize the $10 tier. Like, maybe they rebrand that to "Game Pass Basic" or something. And yeah, a family plan for $20 or so seems like a lock.

The other thing I see them doing is offering more services to Game Pass subscribers as a bundle. Like, if they launched a music streaming service (again) for $10/month but bundled it with Game Pass Ultimate for $20/month, that's a savings that might inspire some Game Pass users to choose it over Apple Music or Spotify. That's the thing companies love about subscriptions: once you have people subscribed for one thing it's easier to get them to subscribe to another thing.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
It would be amazing if Bethesda announced that it now had the security and scope to expand its number of studios/ IPs. People are looking at the size of Bethesda now, but most of Xbox's existing acquisitions have vastly increased their headcount since joining.
I think that's already started. Skullzi had a video a couple of months after the acquisition was announced where he was showing zenimax had something like 170 new positions available. A lot are with the online side but there were still plenty across the other studios

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
The other thing I see them doing is offering more services to Game Pass subscribers as a bundle. Like, if they launched a music streaming service (again) for $10/month but bundled it with Game Pass Ultimate for $20/month, that's a savings that might inspire some Game Pass users to choose it over Apple Music or Spotify. That's the thing companies love about subscriptions: once you have people subscribed for one thing it's easier to get them to subscribe to another thing.

Now I just miss Zune Music Pass. Back when subscribing for music was considered totally ridiculous, everyone knows you buy songs for $0.99 each from iTunes!

(I agree with your point but I have no idea what they could even bundle anymore, since they've killed pretty much all their consumer services outside Xbox and personal copies of Office.)

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
If they don't make a video of Master Chief and Doom guy bump fists then I don't know why they are paying their PR team anything!

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm most curious about the following:

- Whether Microsoft will overrule Bethesda on relisting Prey06, Quake Wars, and Wolf09
- Whether Microsoft sees enough value in Quake Champions' plateaued popularity to commit to another season of the Quake Pro League
- How long it'll be until the Bethnet client (not the service itself) is killed off

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
(I agree with your point but I have no idea what they could even bundle anymore, since they've killed pretty much all their consumer services outside Xbox and personal copies of Office.)

Well, now they have Game Pass. They can use it like a Trojan horse to deliver more services on top of it. I'm sure that's the goal, long-term. Their pitch will be, sure, you could just subscribe to Game Pass for $15/mo, or you can subscribe to Microsoft One for $20/month and get Game Pass and Music Pass and OneCloud storage and...

They definitely had the worse timing ever in killing off Groove Music Pass, though. They killed it off just before Game Pass started to take off.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Whether Microsoft will overrule Bethesda on relisting Prey06, Quake Wars, and Wolf09
Prey 06 is already listed for 360 and available on back compat. In fact it was never delisted there.

You might be confusing the situation with the PC version, in which it wasn't so much delisted as it was literally sold out; 2K games ran out of CD keys and due to how it ended up on Steam (it was originally made for a competing store front that completely melted, resulting in a rather hasty transition) they seemingly lost the ability to generate any more.

Last edited:

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm most curious about the following:

- Whether Microsoft will overrule Bethesda on relisting Prey06, Quake Wars, and Wolf09
- Whether Microsoft sees enough value in Quake Champions' plateaued popularity to commit to another season of the Quake Pro League
- How long it'll be until the Bethnet client (not the service itself) is killed off

Aren't they kind of letting Bethesda/Zenimax work autonomously? I mean exclusively for the Xbox and window platforms, for sure, but it's like how disney lets Kevin Feige run marvel?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Prey 06 is already listed for 360 and available on back compat. In fact it was never delisted there.

Right, but it was never put back up on Steam following publishing rights reverting to ZeniMax (ditto for Quake Wars and Wolf09), and when Pete Hines was about this on Twitter a few years ago, he claimed there were "technical issues technical enough to be a problem". All three games run just fine on modern systems, however, so the prevailing theory is that Hines' comment simply referred to Bethesda's inability to remove unnecessary mentions of 2K/Activision, particularly as that's exactly what Bethesda did when it re-released Quake 4.

You might be confusing the situation with the PC version, in which it wasn't so much delisted as it was literally sold out; 2K games ran out of CD keys and due to how it ended up on Steam (it was originally made for a competing store front that completely melted, resulting in a rather hasty transition) they seemingly lost the ability to generate any more.

That's why the game was removed from sale but not why it was delisted altogether. The key requirement is just a basic id Tech DRM thing; the game used the same Master Server-based multiplayer system as id's own games (past tense as the MS is no longer online).

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020
Aren't they kind of letting Bethesda/Zenimax work autonomously? I mean exclusively for the Xbox and window platforms, for sure, but it's like how disney lets Kevin Feige run marvel?
We don't know, but probably not. In all likelihood, Matt Booty will run XGS and someone (maybe Pete Hines) will run Bethesda, but both report to Phil.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

I believe that's just something people have assumed due to Microsoft creating a subsidiary specifically to complete the purchase. AFAIK, Spencer hasn't said whether ZeniMax will have operational independence.

Status
Not open for further replies.