• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
This is in response to this thread How do you use a fork and knife? | ResetEra

And yes i eat the american way (im from europe). But this reminded me of other stuff. For instance writing. Like why do we have this unwritten rule on how to hold a pen? I hold it slightly different, i always held it how it was comfortable to me and since no one really tried to force me to do it the 'proper' way, thats how i always did it. But i had people ask me 'oh my god look at you, why do you write that way?' Another big one is that you're supposed to write numbers from top to bottom? or is it vice versa? I cant remember. Anyway why? Some i write from the top, others from the bottom, it also depends on where i left off in the previous number i guess. But why does it matter? Its not even the most efficient way to do it, its just an arbitrary pointless rule. Lets take the number 25 for instance. Clearly the most efficient way, and how i do it is to start the 2 on the top left and end in the bottom right, and then since you are right there, why would you go all the way to the top to start the 5? Instead of just keep going and start the 5 in the bottom left where you just ended your number 2?

And lets get back to the eating, Im not gonna defend my way of changing hands, i can see on how that would appear stupid, not sure why anyone would care. What i do have a problem with is that having the knife on your dominant hand is considered the proper way and the opposite is considered the wrong way. I would agree if you were just eating a piece of meat, but in reality you're gonna have something else on your plate. So the right way is to eat 80% of your meal with your non dominant hand, so that you are more efficient at the other 20% instead of the opposite being true?

Another big one, and im glad this isnt a thing anymore, is how children used to be forced to write with their right hand, this wasn't really a thing anymore when i was a child, but i did have one friend that had more old school parents for lack of a better words that did get forced to learn to write with their right hand. And by forced i mean literally got beaten up over it.

Anyway, except for the last one, which luckily isn't a thing anymore. Im not really offended by the stuff i mentioned, this is supposed to just be a fun thread, and maybe you know some more examples of stuff like this. Im ready for your jokes on how i do things wrong.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Never understood the point of wearing clothes...I mean we are the only species that does this...no other species on earth has to go through the hassle of going shopping for clothes or shopping online for clothes..

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I eat with my fork facing up.
I use the knife to move food onto it.

As that's clearly how the tool is best used.
None of this posh stuff.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
I cut my food with the fork sides rather than use a knife. It just makes more sense unless your eating a steak or something.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Never understood the point of wearing clothes...I mean we are the only species that does this...no other species on earth has to go through the hassle of going shopping for clothes or shopping online for clothes..
Not sure what this has to do with the thread but you reminded me of another thing. Tying shoes. I don't do it the way people would consider 'the proper way'

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
I am born ambidextrous or rather what I call nondextrous - my handwriting is equally terrible whichever hand I would use. As a child I would start writing on the left side of the paper with my left hand and swap over half-way. It just made sense to me. Obviously it drove my teachers mad and I was forced to use my right hand. But in fairness, they were trying to improve my writing and, if you are a calligraphy expert, you probably have very clear reasons for what produces the best results. Staring at the top and working down to the line probably produces better smoother results than moving up->down->up->down.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Clothes are basically a form of protection from the elements.

I like to think Hermit crabs are similar with their use of shells

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Don't want to turn this into another tipping thread but tipping barbers. It's considered the norm.

Sorry but I just don't see why I'm doing it, I just want my hair cut as fast as possible so I can be on my way.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like to read up on etiquette when travelling as a social thing where something is going to cause offence- what is meaningless in one place can be rude or ignorant in another. That's what etiquette means to me. Empathy. Like how if a friend is struggling with something new that you are familiar with, don't rush through and dash off just because you can when you can make them feel included instead.

But yeah, silly etiquette guides from one 'expert' in one tiny sphere, like some toff lecturing people how to use a fork based on reinforcing their own class privileges and little else, is just eyerolling, pointless pedantry and a superiority complex at best and xenophobic ignorance at worst.

I'm left-handed and was constantly told to use my right when writing with ink pens at school, as it would smudge my writing. And it did. So I just asked why I had to use a pen with an ink cartridge instead of a biro, and it turned out it was just perception that that's what quality writing looked like. Funnily enough, the solution wasn't for me to suddenly learn to write with my off-hand for one class, but to change the tool, a bit like how some scissors and can-openers were a pain for me in the 80s (and even now in the latter case) until I bought different ones. 30 years later, kids aren't required to use ink in the same way because people don't write like that any more, or sit at desks with inkwells like I did at primary school. Because it's just a tool, and fussing over 'correct' use of a incredibly basic tool over something as innocuous as eating and writing, when the end result is the same, is just enshrining weird dogma. Do I teach my kid how to use DIY/art tools correctly? Yes, because they can be dangerous if force is applied the wrong way, or mistakes hard to correct if damage is inflicted on what you are trying to build/fix/paint. But that's not etiquette, or being used to claim some kind of dogmatic, correct way exists to do the most basic actions on the planet for no reason other than to claim expertise over nothing.

Last edited:

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is a thing for USA or not, or if this even applies, but I always hated the thought the rule of "don't wear white before/after Labor Day" or whatever day it was. MF, it's always before or after whatever day. And fuck you, I'll wear what I want

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Etiquette is nothing but a system that gives people a way to diminish others who don't act in similar ways, to devalue their customs and to create a fictional gap between nobility and the proletariat. It's classist bs.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to turn this into another tipping thread but tipping barbers. It's considered the norm.

Sorry but I just don't see why I'm doing it, I just want my hair cut as fast as possible so I can be on my way.

y2tDJX9.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017

If you go to the same barber all the time and give them decent tips they'll give you priority when you go or make appointments and they'll put more effort into the detail of the cut.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is a thing for USA or not, or if this even applies, but I always hated the thought the rule of "don't wear white before/after Labor Day" or whatever day it was. MF, it's always before or after whatever day. And fuck you, I'll wear what I want
yup, this is 100% the sort of "rule" that solely exists to enforce some sort of social/class hierarchy. It's total bullshit nonsense that nobody should pay any attention to.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I think elitism is something that almost everyone hates but almost everyone is secretly elitist in some level. Whether it's hating crocs or well done steak or using utensils or pen in a different way. And I mean there's nothing wrong with that if you, for example, don't want to use crocs yourself or eat well done steak, but often there's active disdain towards people not minding those or even, shockingly, like them.

I think people have a strong tendency to want to somehow find things in which they're "better" than other people so they become elitist in the things in which they can be.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
yup, this is 100% the sort of "rule" that solely exists to enforce some sort of social/class hierarchy. It's total bullshit nonsense that nobody should pay any attention to.
If a rule asks you devote large amounts of time and money to it then it's probably classist bullshit. Fashion is a good example of this.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Ironing your clothes.

I used to do it when I lived with my parents and for a while afterwards, but I had mostly stopped ironing things like t-shirts and trousers etc, since I realised most of the creases drop out of them when you hang them up after being in the washing machine. I was still ironing my work shirts though, until one day when I was stood ironing a shirt and I just thought about how much time I must have spent ironing them just so that my shirts appear crease free, and how its a kinda bullshit expectation since as soon as you put your car seatbelt on, it creases anyway.

Don't get me wrong, if its a special occasion I will usually iron a shirt, or if I got something out and it looks like someone has sat on it. But 99% of the time i'm like fuck that it looks fine.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

Not american but I don't get why places just don't charge the price they need/want to receive, and not 60% of it and the rest in tips.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Not american but I don't get why places just don't charge the price they need/want to receive, and not 60% of it and the rest in tips.
This is going off topic but there's the issue with the perceived price. When people see the real cost right away clearly, it's easier to understand the cost versus seeing the cheaper price and then having the tip separately.

Minds are very easy to trick regarding prices. For similar reasons you see things like $99 instead of $100.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
I think elitism is something that almost everyone hates but almost everyone is secretly elitist in some level. Whether it's hating crocs or well done steak or using utensils or pen in a different way. And I mean there's nothing wrong with that if you, for example, don't want to use crocs yourself or eat well done steak, but often there's active disdain towards people not minding those or even, shockingly, like them.

I think people have a strong tendency to want to somehow find things in which they're "better" than other people so they become elitist in the things in which they can be.

This.
I'm curious to see which bits of etiquette this thread will deem "valid, common sense, practical", and which ones "arrogant, elitist, classist".
I think it's important to pay attention, not neccesarily reverance, but attention to etiquette and best-practices when entering a different cultural context (to avoid bad manners and rudeness), or to heed expert's advice when entering their domain (i.e. for safety).