• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Some of the posts in this thread are fucked. If you proclaim not to care about someone's life, ignore the thread for fucks sake.

Even if it's a fucked up joke, it's better to be worried about him and hoping he's okay than the complete opposite.
What if it's the 10th 'fucked up joke' he's pulled? The 15th? There's got to be some cutoff, right?

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Mental illness doesn't suddenly turn you into a bigot, it can help in sending you down the path of bigotry over time but there's still a degree of choice in the matter and it isn't like a switch.
In over a decade of being mentally ill I have not suddenly spouted bigotry during a mental breakdown.

Some people need to face the reality that it's just who he actually is and just can filter/mask it on good days.

Hopefully this isn't serious and nothing happens, suicidal is a real dark place.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
What if it's the 10th 'fucked up joke' he's pulled? The 15th? There's got to be some cutoff, right?
Nobody is asking you to be worried. If you don't care, there is no need to enter this thread.
I'm not even personally a fan of him, and I'm sick of his attention-seeking, but he does clearly have some mental health issues, and I don't think it's very fair for people to come into this thread and say they don't care or that we should make an Etika Suicide OT when there are clearly people here who DO care what happens to him.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
When dealing with someone talking about suicide it's best to take it seriously because the alternative could be you shrugging off someone and that action is what finally pushes them over the edge.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There will never be a cut off where I take this seriously. If you've ever worked with mentally ill people before, a lot of them are way past 15.

Maybe ignore the thread instead of coming in here with arbitrary numbers like if he hits 20 it's his cap for people caring about not wanting someone to kill themselves.

God forbid someone gives a fuck.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Jesus, no, there isn't. He's clearly got some sort of mental issue and just because he's made some 'fucked up jokes' doesn't mean that we should insult him and ignore him. If anything, his family should've put him under heavy care a long time ago, this has to be at least the third time that the police have to be looking for him. Definetely hoping that this is just one of his 'stunts' and he's actually ok.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucked up, but if it turns out to be a ploy for attention, I think the appropriate thing is to avoid giving him attention when it counts - his YouTube channel.

If it comes to things like checking in on his status, I don't see any major harm from taking it seriously 20 or 30 times, especially not that outweighs the risk of getting it wrong.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Even if this is a joke, I worry about his mental health because I remember the way he used to be.
Please be respectful, guys, even if you're angry by the antics. ;(

Let's hope he gets the help he needs, because there are so many options available to him (and us!)

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
my dude i created this thread because I am worried, so im saying if that he is lying i will be mad and stop following him... but yes i will be happy he still lives
Exactly.

It wasn't a gotcha honestly. But I'd really rather him be just fucking around than actually going through suicidal thoughts and actions. Because unfortunately many people don't stop at a first attempt once it's got that far.

I get why people are dismissive and angry. It's the boy whole cried wolf. But if people don't learn the other meaning, that even those who lie can also tell the truth, it's all too easy to dismiss someone who may well be in a genuine crisis.

Jan 15, 2019
People are joking about committing suicide until they aren't, and humor is usually a way to flirt with ideas before you start believing them sincerely (See: the entirety of the alt-right). No idea who this guy is, but hopefully he's ok and gets help.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately this isn't the first time I've been thoroughly disgusted with Era.

If you're so concerned with "boy who cried wolf syndrome", ignore the thread. Maybe report to the mods that you think threads on Etika shouldn't be allowed based on his previous comments. Your reaction should never, ever, ever be to post some of the things users have posted here.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Even if this is a joke, I worry about his mental health because I remember the way he used to be.
Please be respectful, guys, even if you're angry by the antics. ;(

Let's hope he gets the help he needs, because there are so many options available to him (and us!)

Even if it is a joke that shows he's mentally in a bad place. Nobody makes a joke like this if they're sane.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
There will never be a cut off where I take this seriously. If you've ever worked with mentally ill people before, a lot of them are way past 15.

Maybe ignore the thread instead of coming in here with arbitrary numbers like if he hits 20 it's his cap for people caring about not wanting someone to kill themselves.

God forbid someone gives a fuck.
If they actually gave a fuck, they'd call the cops. Making threads about it, calling attention to it... What's that doing?

Forgive me for not thinking it's real after seeing he made jokes about when he should do it...then did it on that day.

A friend of mine killed himself, so believe me - I care about people who think they have no other way forward. This guy making a mockery of that again and again for attention? Fuck that.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I stopped watching him when he had his first episode of mental breakdowns because of the stuff he did and I am not going to support him in the future either.

However, he clearly metal issues, and I'm not gonna ignore that.
He needs help and regardless of this being a stunt or not, this dude has serious issues.
No one is asking to forget about the hateful stuff he said or how he betrayed the trust of his friends and fans

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017
Mental illness doesn't suddenly turn you into a bigot, it can help in sending you down the path of bigotry over time but there's still a degree of choice in the matter and it isn't like a switch.
In over a decade of being mentally ill I have not suddenly spouted bigotry during a mental breakdown.

Some people need to face the reality that it's just who he actually is and just can filter/mask it on good days.

Hopefully this isn't serious and nothing happens, suicidal is a real dark place.

Your issues with mental illness =/= other people's issues with mental illness.

His coping mechanisms might be less healthy than yours, sure. But let's not act like mental illness doesn't have the power to make people say/do stupid things.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they actually gave a fuck, they'd call the cops. Making threads about it, calling attention to it... What's that doing?

Forgive me for not thinking it's real after seeing he made jokes about when he should do it...then did it on that day.

A friend of mine killed himself, so believe me - I care about people who think they have no other way forward. This guy making a mockery of that again and again for attention? Fuck that.

It's a cry for help. That's all these have ever been. Dude needs it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Are you doing literally anything to help the guy?

Or are you just flaunting your perceived moral superiority?

You don't have to be helping someone to be in the right. On the contrary, spreading the notion that its definitely a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously at all is dangerous. Ive been through this with family and friends regarding suicide, both successful and attempted, and while I don't know this person or watch his content i'll say that hindsight is devastating and its never something to joke about or attempt to minimize.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017

His coping mechanisms might be less healthy than yours, sure. But let's not act like mental illness doesn't have the power to make people say/do stupid things.

It doesn't make you suddenly racist, homophobic and a bigot. Do not use mental illness as an excuse for his disgusting past comments.

Hopefully the dude gets the help he needs and that he is found safe and well.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I stopped watching him when he had his first episode of mental breakdowns because of the stuff he did and I am not going to support him in the future either.

However, he clearly metal issues, and I'm not gonna ignore that.
He needs help and regardless of this being a stunt or not, this dude has serious issues.
No one is asking to forget about the hateful stuff he said or how he betrayed the trust of his friends and fans
This is where I'm at.

I'm never going to watch any of his videos again, mainly because of his toxic behaviour but also partly because it's clear that the attention and validation he gets from being a YouTube star is actively fuelling his mental health issues.

Anyone who has been watching and encouraging his behaviour in the wake of his now multiple mental health episodes needs to realise that they are actively contributing to this human being's slow demise.

When he gets help this time around, what he needs is someone to take him off of his online channels and give him serious space to work at the core problems he has.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Another thing to add is he's not giving the staff enough information to make a decision to institutionalize him (honestly, I did something similar when I was younger, when I wasn't in the best state of mind, so I know exactly what he's doing). I'll note, at this point, he needs to be legally admitted at this point.

Also, yeah, it's fucking expensive, especially depending on the length of the said program. I'm not sure how it works if you are legally forced to partake in an impatient mental health program, because not sure if the city or state covers it at this point (but knowing the legal system, probably not).

Still... I don't know what else can be done to help him. He needs the help.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
You don't have to be helping someone to be in the right. On the contrary, spreading the notion that its definitely a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously at all is dangerous. Ive been through this with family and friends regarding suicide, both successful and attempted, and while I don't know this person or watch his content i'll say that hindsight is devastating and its never something to joke about or attempt to minimize.
This whole song and dance just comes across as if it's disingenuous at this point. Not you specifically, but in general. This thread is about as useful as "thoughts and prayers," and there's a level of voyeurism to it all that bothers me just a little bit more each time it happens again.

It's so easy to pontificate over how serious suicide and mental illness is (and it is), but we've gone over those lectures before, about this same person, over and over again. I've heard it all. I'd like something to actually be done about it. And I think it would just be really great if those who have the capability to help this guy help him, and that everyone else stop feeding him the attention he so cravenly seeks.

Last edited:

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017

Why do you think it is that it always seems to result in bigotry?
It has the power to erase filters and sensibilities. It doesn't have the power to decide what that entails.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have they not been sending this guy to a mental institution? Why they keep making him leave if so?
It's not prison, they can't detain you indefinitely. If you are no longer in immediate danger of harming yourself and others and you want to leave, you can leave. It's entirely possible that he was at risk of suicide -> went to mental hospital -> was no longer in immediate risk of suicide -> left mental hospital -> became at risk of suicide again some time later. If you've ever had suicidal ideation, it can come and go in waves. May always be at the back of your mind, but events/triggers can cause those feelings to get stronger/more oppressive.

People who commit suicide often discuss and even act out in suicidal ways multiple times before actually going through with it. There really isn't a "cried wolf" with suicide, especially for someone who has already been repeatedly hospitalized for suicidal ideation and risk of self-harm.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah like there's a video of him from like 5-6 years ago on his "alternative" youtube channel spouting slurs in seemingly fine condition.

All that's going on here is that his filter is removed.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Situation aside, don't know why put Nintendo in the title. Most in here already know about Etika.

Overall, hopefully much needed help is on the way.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
He's also messed with the cops on multiple occasions and suicide by cop is a real thing.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Shit, you're right. Hey Blunoise, if you live in NYC, can you do us all a favor and call the NYPD on a dude you've never met and don't know where he lives?
He's also messed with the cops on multiple occasions and suicide by cop is a real thing.
He literally punched a cop last time he was taken in and people ITT are doubting he's actually mentally ill. Cool!

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shit, you're right. Hey Blunoise, if you live in NYC, can you do us all a favor and call the NYPD on a dude you've never met and don't know where he lives?

He literally punched a cop last time he was taken in and people ITT are doubting he's actually mentally ill. Cool!
No one is doubting he's mentally ill. We just also think he's a bigot as well.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Police scanner saying they have a black, 28 year old male with a possible belt around his neck. I'll update with more when I hear something.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
Listening to the police scanners about this is really frightening. I really hope they find him alive.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This whole song and dance just comes across as if it's disingenuous at this point. Not you specifically, but in general. This thread is about as useful as "thoughts and prayers," and there's a level of voyeurism to it all that bothers me just a little bit more each time it happens again.

It's so easy to pontificate over how serious suicide and mental illness is (and it is), but we've gone over those lectures before, about this same person, over and over again. I've heard it all. I'd like something to actually be done about it. And I think it would just be really great if those who have the capability to help this guy help him, and that everyone else stop feeding him the attention he so cravenly seeks.
Medical care in the western world is by consent.

With all the will in the world unless if the person understands the help they need, and seek it themselves it's almost impossible to help him.

That's the horrible thing with mental health. With physical illness you locate the issue and deal with it. With mental health not only can you not see it, but how do you even start with someone who doesn't want to help themselves or doesn't know how. Even then, the answer isn't just "getting help". With mental illness there's so little that we understand that in many cases, said help causes more issues than it solves.

I understand what you're saying, there's little we can really do here either way sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.