• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So all these airlines choosing to ground the planes must be acting because they've got the first data from the black box, right?

ac0083

Banned
Mar 11, 2019
So all these airlines choosing to ground the planes must be acting because they've got the first data from the black box, right?

I doubt they have any data from the black box at this point. I'm pretty sure the reason is prudence vs any sort vs actual data from the Ethiopian Airlines crash, which I imagine we won't have for a little while.

Nov 18, 2017
If it is MCAS then the trail of people to blame - from whoever devised it and signed it off, and whoever decided to bypass the requisite training - should be prosecuted with the full force of the law. It's not an unavoidable accident, it's direct causation from negligence.

ac0083

Banned
Mar 11, 2019
So it looks like Sunwing Airlines has grounded their 737 MAX 8s, which is the first US or Canadian carrier to do so. Wonder if that puts any additional pressure on Air Canada, Southwest, or American Airlines.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

NYT: Boeing 737 Max Hit Trouble Right Away, Pilot's Tense Radio Messages Show

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia — The captain of a doomed Ethiopian Airlines jetliner faced an emergency almost immediately after takeoff from Addis Ababa, requesting permission in a panicky voice to return after three minutes as the aircraft accelerated to abnormal speed, a person who reviewed air traffic communications said Thursday.
"Break break, request back to home," the captain told air traffic controllers as they scrambled to divert two other flights approaching the airport. "Request vector for landing."
Controllers also observed that the aircraft, a new Boeing 737 Max 8, was oscillating up and down by hundreds of feet — a sign that something was extraordinarily wrong.
All contact between air controllers and the aircraft, Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 to Nairobi, was lost five minutes after it took off on Sunday, the person said.
The person who shared the information, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the communications have not been publicly released, said the controllers had concluded even before the captain's message that he had an emergency.
---------------
The new disclosures about the last moments of Flight 302 came as pilots were discussing what they described as the dangerously high speed of the aircraft after it took off from Addis Ababa's Bole International Airport.
Pilots were abuzz over publicly available radar data that showed the aircraft had accelerated far beyond what is considered standard practice, for reasons that remain unclear.
"The thing that is most abnormal is the speed," said John Cox, an aviation safety consultant and former 737 pilot.
"The speed is very high," said Mr. Cox, a former executive air safety chairman of the Air Line Pilots Association in the United States. "The question is why. The plane accelerates far faster than it should."
---------------
Ethiopian Airlines officials have said the crew of Flight 302 reported "flight control" problems to air traffic controllers a few minutes before contact was lost. The new account of communications between air traffic controllers and the pilot, Yared Getachew, who had 8,000 hours of flying experience, provides much more information about what was happening in the cockpit.
Within one minute of Flight 302's departure, the person who reviewed communications said, Captain Getachew reported a "flight control" problem in a calm voice. At that point, radar showed the aircraft's altitude as being well below what is known as the minimum safe height from the ground during a climb.
Within two minutes, the person said, the plane had climbed to a safer altitude, and the pilot said he wanted to stay on a straight course to 14,000 feet.
Then the controllers observed the plane going up and down by hundreds of feet, and it appeared to be moving unusually fast, the person said. The controllers, the person said, "started wondering out loud what the flight was doing."
Two other Ethiopian flights, 613 and 629, were approaching from the east, and the controllers, sensing an emergency on Flight 302, ordered them to remain at higher altitudes. It was during that exchange with the other planes, the person said, that Captain Getachew, with panic in his voice, interrupted with his request to turn back.
Flight 302 was just three minutes into its flight, the person said, and appeared to have accelerated to even higher speeds, well beyond its safety limits.
---------------
Cleared by the controllers to turn back, Flight 302 turned right as it climbed further. A minute later, it disappeared from the radar over a restricted military zone.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Terrifying.

Where's the Boeing Defense Force from the other thread with the poster that was trying to blame the pilots and amounted it to user error? Because he sure looks stupid now.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Terrifying.

Where's the Boeing Defense Force from the other thread with the poster that was trying to blame the pilots and amounted it to user error? Because he sure looks stupid now.

I don't think anyone was trying to blame the Ethiopian pilots, we don't know what happened there yet - these are the first real details.

The FMS of the jet should provide a constant speed climb - so if something went wrong with engine power management then that could mess with that.

Regardless, at least from the NYT report, it seems like it was not the same issue that occurred with Lion Air.

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
So Trump has blood on his hands potentially

No joke, I had a flight to Austria this weekend that as the shutdown prolonged I decided to cancel. It wasn't wholly because of it but I knew that stuff was going to be slipping and I set a date in my mind that if the shutdown was going still I would cancel no matter what.
It resolved a little before it but I had soured on the trip mentally and cancelled.
We need regulation, oversight, and consistency and the bullshit shutdown broke that for no reason.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
It'd be interesting if it was actually an auto throttle or engine power management issue.... if the throttle went crazy, it would push the nose up, which would then cause the AP or MCAS to trim the nose down... and if the readings were messed up the throttle could kick even higher.

That could actually explain both incidents then.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I think I read somewhere that only a single reading is required to trigger mcas though. Shouldn't it ideally require both (and not activate if there's a disagreement?)

Answering my own question sort of, the planes in question have three different indicators telling pilotsif there is a disagreement between the two AoA sensors, all of which are optional at an extra cost, and Lion Air had none of them. Apparently this is not mandated by the FAA as something that is required to be included.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing I don't quite get...
Boeing claims that they will roll out an important MCAS update in ~10 days and they blame the government shut-down... yet the government shut-down was over more than 2 months ago.... and they couldn't get their critical update approved... ? and now they can get it done in less than 2 weeks?
and nobody is calling them out on their bullshit?

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
The thing I don't quite get...
Boeing claims that they will roll out an important MCAS update in ~10 days and they blame the government shut-down... yet the government shut-down was over more than 2 months ago.... and they couldn't get their critical update approved... ? and now they can get it done in less than 2 weeks?
and nobody is calling them out on their bullshit?
My main concern is that it's now rushed and will be more of an issue.

empanada

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing the software update (based on the Lion Air findings) was already tested and in the process of being approved and on schedule to be released soon. This latest crash is just speeding up the approvals for obvious reasons. I doubt they already have data from the Ethiopian crash to be able to add anything new to whatever changes they had already implemented and are releasing in 10 days.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be interesting if it was actually an auto throttle or engine power management issue.... if the throttle went crazy, it would push the nose up, which would then cause the AP or MCAS to trim the nose down... and if the readings were messed up the throttle could kick even higher.

That could actually explain both incidents then.
This is an interesting theory, it also explains why they would (possibly) disable the autopilot allowing the MCAS system to take over.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/03/boeing-crash-faa-trump-safety-regulation
The Lives the Free Market Took

These deaths were likely not some freak accident. Pilots complained at least five times to federal authorities last year about the model's autopilot system, many warning that the planes suddenly tilted nose-down after take-off, which, based on the evidence recovered, appears to be what happened in the Ethiopian flight too. One pilot called the flight manual "inadequate and criminally insufficient." Another called the shoddy level of training pilots received to fly the planes "unconscionable." Yet until almost the last possible moment, the Federal Aviation Administration continued to argue that there were "no systemic performance issues" and "no basis to order grounding the aircraft." There's a reason Ralph Nader, the famed consumer advocate and Samya's great uncle, calls the agency a "patsy."

Boeing is not just a lobbying juggernaut that donates prodigiously to politicians all over the country; it's also a company in which numerous members of Congress are personally invested, and it cultivates mutually beneficial financial relationships with top officials. Meanwhile, as William McGee of Consumer Reports told Amy Goodman, these issues are rooted in the FAA's lax, business-friendly oversight of the very industry it's meant to regulate, a case of regulatory capture that stretches back long before this administration.

But more than that, they are victims of an ideology that tells us the greatest insult to human life is not the death and misery that comes from unchecked greed, but efforts to democratically control it through public institutions. The real problems aren't unsafe products, pollution, dangerous chemicals, and the like, we're told, but "red tape" and the taxes used to fund the bodies regulating them. Meanwhile, activists like Nader have long been painted as "wacky" extremists in the pursuit of some quixotic ideological crusade simply for trying to do things like prevent people from dying in cars without seat belts.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
IMO the thing Boeing / the FAA have to answer for is how an indicator to pilots that two sensors are in disagreement is optional.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the thing Boeing / the FAA have to answer for is how an indicator to pilots that two sensors are in disagreement is optional.
The fact that it was designed to support that checking/redundancy but not mandated is crazy. Planes fly over populated areas, you shouldn't allow cost cutting to that level. And on a multi million dollar purchase the 1% (wild guess, would be interesting to know the cost difference) add on for extra safety takes some awful accounting to justify

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018

Well, what i don't understand is how they just have two sensors as the default version. There should be at least 3 to discard the faulty one as many other planes have. And obviously, there should be a way to disconnect the MCAS as Airbus does with their protections.

It's a very big fuckup for Boeing which definetly will impact their future sales and for the FAA who approved the (no) training to begin with and waited until they had political pressure to ground the MAX on USA.

And as an extra bit, BOEING will have to answer why the procedure they published after the LION AIR crash to fight this issue, didn't work.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Answering my own question sort of, the planes in question have three different indicators telling pilotsif there is a disagreement between the two AoA sensors, all of which are optional at an extra cost, and Lion Air had none of them. Apparently this is not mandated by the FAA as something that is required to be included.
link to this?

did not know planes had optional packages like cars.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
link to this?

did not know planes had optional packages like cars.
I originally heard it discussed here (21:30) - https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/avtalk-episode-53-ethiopian-302-and-the-grounding-of-the-737-max/

But also from November after Lion Air: Optional warning light could have aided Lion Air engineers before crash: experts
SINGAPORE/SEATTLE (Reuters) - An optional warning light could have alerted engineers about mechanical faults on Lion Air's Boeing 737 MAX jet that crashed last month, experts said, sparking an industry debate over whether installing the system should become mandatory.

Lion Air did not install the AOA DISAGREE alert, which warns pilots when the "angle of attack" (AOA) readings do not match, because it is optional and not required by regulators, Managing Director Daniel Putut told Reuters.
"In retrospect, clearly it would have been wise to include the warning as standard equipment and fully inform and train operators on MCAS," said Clint Balog, a professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

"I expect you will see this warning included in future MAX production and retrofitted into already delivered MAX aircraft."

Boeing and the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) made the AOA alert an optional feature for the 737 MAX, meaning it was not deemed critical for safe operation.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The Boeing Company @Boeing

Boeing Chairman, President and CEO Dennis Muilenburg issued the
following statement regarding the Ethiopian Transport Minister Dagmawit
Moges's report today. https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2019-03-17-Boeing-CEO-Muilenburg-Issues-Statement-on-Ethiopian-Airlines-Flight-302-Accident-Investigation …

4:24 PM - Mar 17, 2019

d14xj2jukaaibkp63j45.jpg

The Washington Post @washingtonpost

Ethiopian official: Black box data shows "clear similarity" between Ethiopian Airlines, Lion Air crashes https://wapo.st/2TRSXNN

3:21 PM - Mar 17, 2019

WaPo: Ethiopian official: Black box data shows 'clear similarities' between Ethiopian Airlines, Lion Air crashes
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia — Ethiopia's transport minister said Sunday that information from the flight data recorder on the Ethiopian Airlines jet that crashed last week shows "clear similarities" with the crash of the same type of plane in Indonesia in October.
Dagmawit Moges told journalists that the condition of the "black boxes" — the data and voice record — was good and that enough data had been recovered that her ministry's Accident Investigation Bureau would release a preliminary report on what happened to Flight 302 in 30 days.
"During the investigation of the FDR [flight data recorder], clear similarities were noted between Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 and Indonesian Lion Air Flight 610, which will be the subject of further investigation," Dagmawit said.

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Boeing will be just fine. Beyond taking some sort of lawsuit hit. And even then, based on the preliminary report, one should still expect the Lion Air report will place some culpability on Lion due to the maintenance / logging issues that should've taken that plane out of service.

737 MAX will be back in service in a matter of weeks and will continue to be delivered in the thousands.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boeing will be just fine. Beyond taking some sort of lawsuit hit. And even then, based on the preliminary report, one should still expect the Lion Air report will place some culpability on Lion due to the maintenance / logging issues that should've taken that plane out of service.

737 MAX will be back in service in a matter of weeks and will continue to be delivered in the thousands.
Why are you so confident of this?

jstevenson

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
The DC-10's production was ceased due to lack of orders merely four years after it was grounded for a while.

sure, but the 400 of them flew for years and accrued a good safety record - and airlines aren't going to be scared off of the 737 MAX when their 737 NG crews can fly it. There's a reason there are 5k orders on the books

namlook

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Flawed analysis, failed oversight: How Boeing, FAA certified the suspect 737 MAX flight control system

Current and former engineers directly involved with the evaluations or familiar with the document shared details of Boeing's "System Safety Analysis" of MCAS, which The Seattle Times confirmed.
The safety analysis:
  • Understated the power of the new flight control system, which was designed to swivel the horizontal tail to push the nose of the plane down to avert a stall. When the planes later entered service, MCAS was capable of moving the tail more than four times farther than was stated in the initial safety analysis document.
  • Failed to account for how the system could reset itself each time a pilot responded, thereby missing the potential impact of the system repeatedly pushing the airplane's nose downward.
  • Assessed a failure of the system as one level below "catastrophic." But even that "hazardous" danger level should have precluded activation of the system based on input from a single sensor — and yet that's how it was designed.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't see 737-Max orders not taking a hit when it's a risky plane rolling its chances on a new software update plus I'm sure people will be weary of taking that plane which in turn will affect the airlines. So why order more of a tainted aircraft.

I mean, in the end I'm sure Boeing will be fine. But this will cost.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Where's the guy who kept insisting in this thread this was the pilot's fault for not following the manual. That was infuriating.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the guy who kept insisting in this thread this was the pilot's fault for not following the manual. That was infuriating.

It's still the case that if the runaway stabilizer trim checklist was followed the Lion Air crash would not have happened. We know this because the previous flight crew did exactly that on the flight earlier in the day. If it turns out the problem on this flight was the same it would also be true that working down the three items on the checklist would address the problem and allow the flight to continue with manual stabilizer trim.

That can make you mad if you want it to but it's still true.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It's still the case that if the runaway stabilizer trim checklist was followed the Lion Air crash would not have happened. We know this because the previous flight crew did exactly that on the flight earlier in the day. If it turns out the problem on this flight was the same it would also be true that working down the three items on the checklist would address the problem and allow the flight to continue with manual stabilizer trim.
From the article posted above:

Boeing insists that the pilots on the Lion Air flight should have recognized that the horizontal stabilizer was moving uncommanded, and should have responded with a standard pilot checklist procedure to handle what's called "stabilizer runaway."

If they'd done so, the pilots would have hit cutoff switches and deactivated the automatic stabilizer movement.

Boeing has pointed out that the pilots flying the same plane on the day before the crash experienced similar behavior to Flight 610 and did exactly that: They threw the stabilizer cutoff switches, regained control and continued with the rest of the flight.

However, pilots and aviation experts say that what happened on the Lion Air flight doesn't look like a standard stabilizer runaway, because that is defined as continuous uncommanded movement of the tail.

On the accident flight, the tail movement wasn't continuous; the pilots were able to counter the nose-down movement multiple times.

In addition, the MCAS altered the control column response to the stabilizer movement. Pulling back on the column normally interrupts any stabilizer nose-down movement, but with MCAS operating that control column function was disabled.

These differences certainly could have confused the Lion Air pilots as to what was going on.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see 737-Max not taking a hit when it's a risky plane rolling its chances on a new software update plus I'm sure people will be weary of taking that plane which in turn will affect the airlines. So why order more of a tainted aircraft.

I mean, in the end I'm sure Boeing will be fine. But this will cost.

The thing is - it's not a software update. It's way more involved than that.

This MCAS is a fundamental part of the aircraft - due to the location of the engines (something that no other 737 model prior to this has ever had to have).

This should have been clear and up front in terms of instruction to any pilot wanting to rate for the MAX. The fact both the FAA and Boeing didn't do this with the clarity it warranted means they both need to face big time investigation.

The cynic in me suspects that Boeing pushed all they could to get the MAX out to customers and flying due to competition from Airbus and it's A320 NEO.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

That can make you mad if you want it to but it's still true.

Lol, you're so quick to reply when someone mentions you without tagging your name in their post. Very peculiar. 🤔

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
I just found out about the seattle article and god, that's a very big fuck up from BOEING and also the FAA. Makes me wonder what happens with EASA and AIRBUS.

From the article it's clear that Boeing wanted to speed up the certifications because the 320Neo was months ahead of them.

It absolutely behaves as uncommanded runaway trim. It's trimming without being told to specifically when hand flying. Of course you can counteract it with the trim switch on the yoke - you always can. That description makes little sense.

In the article it says clearly that it does not behave as a runaway trim. It's not that the trim keeps moving, what i understand is that the position of the stabilizer moves every time you try to reset it, efectively moving to the max in a couple of times, basically giving the MCAS full authority of the longitudinal stabilization.
The worst thing about the Ethiopian crash is that Boeing issued a bulletin to all Max users after the Lion air with a procedure to follow, which means that even their own procedure didn't work. So scary.

What really amazes me of this huge fuck up is how they developed this "protection" to activate when just one of the AoA sensors gave the signal. I can see that's the most "safely" way when you only have 2 sensors, the thing is all aircrafts equiped with a protection like this should have at least 3 (to discard the faulty one) like Airbus does. And obviously, a way to disconnect it.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there an old Dev / QA joke about designing software for airplanes...

"10 developers were asked if they would ever fly in a plane that they developed software for. 9 out of 10 of the developers quickly replied No. The other developer said it wouldn't matter because there's no way my plane would even make it off the ground."
The same goes for car developers. Ignorance is bliss.

Wasp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm supposed to be travelling on a 737 Max 8 but not until August.

I've no need to worry about cancellations, right? The airline will either sort out replacement planes or the planes will be ungrounded by then, yeah? Maybe I should take out travel insurance now just in case.