• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
UK ban will murder this plane. No action at Heathrow takes out a ton of Europeans and US flights
Yeah, pretty much. Adding to that, all flights only crossing UK airspace (e.g., from the continent to Ireland or Iceland) are pretty much impossible now.

Even if the problem is due to improper training of pilots and only happens in freak cases, Boeing better prepare a more solid answer than "We'll have a software update in April maybe".

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Is there any update on when they will show off the new 777? It was supposed to be tomorrow.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah, pretty much. Adding to that, all flights only crossing UK airspace (e.g., from the continent to Ireland or Iceland) are pretty much impossible now.

Even if the problem is due to improper training of pilots and only happens in freak cases, Boeing better prepare a more solid answer than "We'll have a software update in April maybe".
That's the thing . If it's pilot error due to not understanding the changes or checklist, the action should still be to ground those pilots flying the MAX until they get into a simulator and get certified to fly that plane with these changes.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The MCAS system does interact with the autotrim. However, I was mostly referring to KHarvey16 and his assumption that the pilots would hear the runaway trim by arguing that the trim goes off so much its hard to distinguish a failure.

The MCAS routine will trim for 10 seconds straight every 5 seconds. And it trims the nose down, so there is literally no way not to know it's happening.

How long does that checklist take to work through? And how long do you have to react in that situation when just taking off and your altitude may be just a few thousand feet at most?

And really, the simple fact is that such a checklist shouldn't need to be referenced this frequently.

It has like 3 steps and takes seconds. Turn off autopilot; check if it's fixed. If not, turn off auto throttle and hit the cutout switch for the stabilizer trim. If that doesn't work, grab the trim wheel and hold it still.

The routine trims for 10 seconds with a 5 second pause at half speed. It's plenty of time since it can't even start until the flaps are up.

This article seems to indicate that the MCAS does not make it easier to control, but to make the 737 MAX flight envelop more like the 737 NG. It seems the 737 NG is able to achieve higher AoA, thus the MCAS forces the 737 MAX to lower the AoA in case it nears stall angles.

It almost seems that they neared stall angle, or what the faulty AoA indicated, the MCAS forced the plane to decrease the AoA by trim and the pilots kept trying to get the AoA up. In the end they ended up in a dive.

From what I can gather the FAA mandated Boeing put the software in to make the plane easier to nose over at low speed. The amount of force on the stick was slightly too high, so the MCAS routine trims it nose down just a bit to make it easier. It's not really a stability issue or anything. You can fly the plane with the whole thing off.

gamma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The German government is a joke. Again.

"One should not draw quick conclusions if you don't know what caused the crash. You can't just impose bans. In the end you need a piece of evidence."

Could they change the engines to improve the stability of the aircraft?

And now it's banned in Germany too. Haha

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Germany and Ireland (Ireland handles 90% of EU/US flights) also banned them from airspace.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Boeing needs to ground these planes. Country after country banning them is not a good look for them.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it, if Boeing wont ground the aircraft themselves then all the countries aviation authorities will.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
North American airlines will be naturally more inclined to keep the planes flying but it comes at a risk. Also there will be a lot of consumer pressure as people gonna start panicking about that plane and not wanting to take it. Whatever the outcome, Boeing should wish for the investigation and conclusions to come out as swiftly as possible, in order to proper respond and start moving on.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Just MAX-8 and MAX-9:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom...suspends-all-boeing-737-max-operations-europe

As a precautionary measure, EASA has published today an Airworthiness Directive, effective as of 19:00 UTC, suspending all flight operations of all Boeing Model 737-8 MAX and 737-9 MAX aeroplanes in Europe. In addition EASA has published a Safety Directive, effective as of 19:00 UTC, suspending all commercial flights performed by third-country operators into, within or out of the EU of the above mentioned models.

ac0083

Banned
Mar 11, 2019
Looks like the US and Canada are the only places where the 737 MAX 8 isn't grounded or outright banned from their respective airspace outside of less than a dozen from small carriers.

Southwest, American Airlines, Air Canada, and WestJet are still flying the MAX 8. The chart the NYT is updating still shows FlyDubai as flying it, but I see a couple articles hitting in the part hour that say FlyDubai is grounding their Max 8s as well.

I wonder how long the carriers in the US and Canada will push forward.

Last edited:

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't recent "eyewitness" reports indicating that the plane was smoking and streaming debris? Could be hearsay, but I swear I read that is what the farmer who's field it was reported.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ethiopia-airplane-witnesses-idUSKBN1QS1LJ

I remember there was one report. It would certainly require a different explanation than (or one in addition to) runaway stabilizer trim if it turned out to be accurate. Eyewitness accounts can be dicey though.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like India has now banned the MAX as well.

It's basically just North American airlines left on that NYT chart atm:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/03/11/world/boeing-737-max-which-airlines.html

pw3bTzP.png

Oct 27, 2017
The World
https://apnews.com/0cd5389261f34b01a7cbdb1a12421e27

Airline pilots on at least two flights have reported that an automated system seemed to cause their Boeing planes to tilt down suddenly, the same problem suspected of contributing to a deadly crash in Indonesia.

The pilots said that soon after engaging the autopilot on Boeing 737 Max 8 planes, the nose tilted down sharply. In both cases, they recovered quickly after disconnecting the autopilot.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
the Max 8s at least on American are the planes that are like flying in a special corner of hell with seats jammed in and bathrooms not big enough to turn around in. They should all go away

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017

Airline pilots on at least two flights have reported that an automated system seemed to cause their Boeing planes to tilt down suddenly, the same problem suspected of contributing to a deadly crash in Indonesia. The pilots said that soon after engaging the autopilot on Boeing 737 Max 8 planes, the nose tilted down sharply. In both cases, they recovered quickly after disconnecting the autopilot.

In one report, an airline captain said that immediately after putting the plane on autopilot, the co-pilot called out "Descending," followed by an audio cockpit warning, "Don't sink, don't sink!"

Cool, wonder if anyone shit their pants yet. Sounds like a good way to give the crew a fucking heart attack.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am happy to see my dad's flight has been grounded.

This is surreal.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
yeah the news is going to report anything that happens.

Pilots deal with all sorts of stuff. Varying conditions, wind, maintenance issues etc. That's why they are there. I mean, read the full article and the plane immediately alerted them and they fixed it. It's not related to the Indonesia incident, and even then you're talking a descent rate of 1200-1500 ft per minute, which is a high descent rate but isn't like plummeting to earth.

(also like 2 instances in that NASA database in what, like 40,000-50,000 North American flights? Southwest has flown 30k+ MAX flights already).

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
This is so scary. I was on a 737 with Fly Dubai last month. Not sure if it was a Max 8 though.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
Wow if a Max crashes again because of America not grounding them it will be a mess i have never seen before airplane-wise.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would one crash?
I mean, of course despite the panic the Max isn't an automatically crashing machine. Chances are it won't crash as the overwhelming majority of its flights haven't. But it can happen, at the very least like it can with any other plane, and that would be madness.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Southwest won't give it up anytime soon since they are pretty much Boeing's most loyal customer for the 737. Even Alaska Airlines used to print "proudly all Boeing" on their 737's before they bought up Virgin America and got those Airbuses.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks really fucking bad that two different NEW planes experienced the same issue resulting in the same outcome. Are we going to be surprised if(more likely when) it happens again?

And how is there a Boeing defense force here?