• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I don't think the max have the same fuselage as the 737 ng series.

Speaking of fuselages and 777, its engine is big.

DwFxombU8AAKNML.jpg

That was one of the literal publicity shots Boeing and British Airways did to show off the original 777 in the early 90's.

hqdefault.jpg

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
They have both the CVR and FDR so hopefull they can shed some light on things as soon as possible.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
If these planes are grounded, I imagine flights get cancelled/delayed?

If they get grounded, the airlines will probably wet-lease aircraft to make up for it. This is where other aircraft/crew are "rented" out by the airline to forfil their service obligations.

Right now a load of 787s are still grounded because of the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engine issue, so those services are being wet leased using this method.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

CBC News Alerts @CBCAlerts

As Indonesia, China, Mongolia and the Cayman Islands ground Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft after Sunday's Ethiopian Airlines crash, Transport Minister Marc Garneau's office says: 'Transport Canada officials are working with their American counterparts in order to assess next steps.'

A WestJet spokesperson tells CBC News the airline 'remains confident in the safety of our Boeing 737 fleet.' Full statement: pic.twitter.com/u8YVqXn6HZ

8:11 AM - Mar 11, 2019

d1yhrggw0aanmfo6ekx0.jpg

d1yz2c_u0aee6e_2ujj7.png

https://twitter.com/_deepakanand/status/1105099185987051521

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So does China suddenly care more about its citizens than the rest of the world or do they have something against Boeing? I don't really know China-Boeing relations.

Might help that China can take the (tiny) economic hit and it's the government rather than a corporation deciding.

speak_easy

Banned
May 12, 2018
Baltimore, Maryland
So does China suddenly care more about its citizens than the rest of the world or do they have something against Boeing? I don't really know China-Boeing relations.

Might help that China can take the (tiny) economic hit and it's the government rather than a corporation deciding.

TBH it probably gives them a chance to reverse engineer it and look for tech. I don't think China-Boeing relations are that great in terms of intellectual property.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017

CBC News Alerts @CBCAlerts

As Indonesia, China, Mongolia and the Cayman Islands ground Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft after Sunday's Ethiopian Airlines crash, Transport Minister Marc Garneau's office says: 'Transport Canada officials are working with their American counterparts in order to assess next steps.'

A WestJet spokesperson tells CBC News the airline 'remains confident in the safety of our Boeing 737 fleet.' Full statement: pic.twitter.com/u8YVqXn6HZ

8:11 AM - Mar 11, 2019

d1yhrggw0aanmfo6ekx0.jpg

d1yz2c_u0aee6e_2ujj7.png

https://twitter.com/_deepakanand/status/1105099185987051521

Damn. I fly Southwest quite often. Might rethink that.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

China is the biggest buyer of that kind of plane.
Grounding actually probably hurt them more then other.

Political factor can influence it I guess (for example to help the domestic competitor) image)

Still the move is not like so outside of the realm of unconventional.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TBH it probably gives them a chance to reverse engineer it and look for tech. I don't think China-Boeing relations are that great in terms of intellectual property.

From what I understand 737 max is the scraping of Barrel to maximize the investment on the. 737.

If any reverse engineering is done probably is done with a350 xwb or 787.

The reason of why they buy them is because it China need planes.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a weird event for me, usually I treat this kind of thing with abstract sympathy but I used to work with one of the people who was killed in the crash. She's all over the coverage in the UK because she has already been identified, and happens to be quite photogenic.

We weren't particularly close (on chatting terms but can't say I've thought about her in the five years since we worked together), but it's still quite confronting to see her face everywhere, bringing up some memories I had long since forgotten.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
RIP for the victims of the crash.

Maybe the Boeing is not to blame yet, but having such a new plane having two big deadly crashes in a matter of months and in quite a similar fashion surely raises some big questions. Let's see the answers.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's really currently no technical justification for grounding, but these are businesses and PR isn't really less valid a concern in the end.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually it's like this.

Boeing stretched the 737(Again), making it heavier. Because it's heavier now, it needs more thrust, so they fit bigger engines. As the 737 has shorter legs than a fat caterpillar they had to move the engine pod ahead of the wing instead of below it. This change moves the center of gravity(an important consideration in flight) forward and therefore they needed a way for the computer to autotrim so that at certain flight regimes the plane doesn't stall.

Of course despite all of these differences Boeing wanted to claim it's the same to fly as the 737 of old, so they could save money on pilot training. And so MCAS was introduced. Nevermind the fact that the existence of MCAS is a tacit admission that actually, the MAX is not the same as the old 737 and maybe pilots do need training and simulators, which is definitely why they hid its existence.

So far this cost cutting is at least partially responsible for one plane crash, let's see if it's responsible for another.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course despite all of these differences Boeing wanted to claim it's the same to fly as the 737 of old, so they could save money on pilot training. And so MCAS was introduced. Nevermind the fact that the existence of MCAS is a tacit admission that actually, the MAX is not the same as the old 737 and maybe pilots do need training and simulators, which is definitely why they hid its existence.

So far this cost cutting is at least partially responsible for one plane crash, let's see if it's responsible for another.

If the pilots of the lion air crash followed the checklist like the previous crew did in the same airplane (or the maintenance folks actually fixed the issue as reported by that same crew) there wouldn't have been any crash.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the pilots of the lion air crash followed the checklist like the previous crew did in the same airplane (or the maintenance folks actually fixed the issue as reported by that same crew) there wouldn't have been any crash.

Nevermind the fact they they were following the checklist, it's just that the particular step they were on was wrong now because of MCAS. Maybe if the pilots knew they were fighting against a new system they would have gotten to the turn that shit off part of the checklist sooner.

Are we gonna let Boeing say "but the checklist!" a 2nd time all because they wanted to save money?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nevermind the fact they they did follow the checklist, it's just that the particular step they were on was wrong now because of MCAS. Maybe if the pilots knew they were fighting against a new system they would have gotten to the turn that shit off part of the checklist sooner.

Are we gonna let Boeing say "but the checklist!" a 2nd time all because they wanted to save money?

The runaway stabilizer checklist wasn't wrong. Again the previous flight that day ran the checklist and turned the system off as they should and fixed the issue.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how quick pilots can react to situations like these. I'm starting to wonder if there is actually enough time for the pilots to realize something is wrong and actually troubleshoot and work through to solve the problem before the plane crashes.

Hopefully the cockpit voice recorder will help provide answers.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest fear during a take off but I think that would mean both engines were hit which would be incredibly rare. A plane should be able to climb with one engine only.
Yep, to be a bird strike it would need both engines to get compromised. Also, not every bird has the size and weight to break an engine.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
This is terrifying. I'm flying to Ohio in June and my itinerary says Boeing 737 MAX, which concerns the shit out of me. I pray that this shit is resolved beforehand.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I checked my flying information and thankfully no 737 on either way. You can say what you will, but I feel better not traveling on that plane for now.

The seat are installed in China. They dont need to ground them to "reverse engineer" them.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
It needs to be emphasised that if you book a flight and are on an 737 that ISNT a Max, you have nothing to be concerned about.

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
This is terrifying. I'm flying to Ohio in June and my itinerary says Boeing 737 MAX, which concerns the shit out of me. I pray that this shit is resolved beforehand.

I have an annual work trip that I usually use Southwest for in June but I'll be going with extra stops on a different airline if I can make sure to dodge the max. I also made sure to check my niece's itinerary for her trip this week.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I have an annual work trip that I usually use Southwest for in June but I'll be going with extra stops on a different airline if I can make sure to dodge the max. I also made sure to check my niece's itinerary for her trip this week.

Ah man, I doubt I can since I booked the Gotta Get Away tickets. I also discovered that my flight numbers match up with a 737 Max 8, so now I'm getting more nervous. Is there any way to dodge this on my end?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I fly Southwest all the time and I'd still fly on a 737 MAX.

We'll see what the results show, obviously it's worth taking seriously. Very curious as to the black box / recorder data.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
It seems that Southwest did put in additional sensors into their 737 MAX fleet due to the first crash last October to hopefully prevent the system from nosediving the plane. Link: The Air Current

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because of the press and how quickly they could recover the blackbox, is it likely we will get new information soon?