• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
_100667434_tv045902755.jpg

Ethan Couch, 20, made headlines in 2013 when his lawyer blamed "affluenza", arguing his client was too rich and spoiled to tell right from wrong.

Couch was found guilty of drink-driving, which left four people dead.

He initially avoided prison and was given probation. He was later jailed when he violated his sentence.

Couch will now serve six years of community supervision, his lawyers Scott Brown and Reagan Wynn said after his release on Monday.

In 2013 a youth court sentenced the then 16-year-old to 10 years of probation for the 15 June 2013 crash which killed four people.

Medical tests concluded that Couch was drunk, as well as high on marijuana and prescription medication when he crashed his truck into an SUV that had become stranded on the side of the road.

Four people were killed and nine others were injured in the crash on a rural road in Burleson, Texas - 45 miles (70km) southwest of Dallas.

During his trial, a psychologist for his defence argued that the teenager suffered from "affluenza" - being so spoiled by his wealthy parents that he was unable to distinguish right from wrong.

After Couch was filmed drinking alcohol at a party in 2015 - a violation of the terms of his probation - he and his mother fled to Mexico.

They were found in the resort town of Puerto Vallarta, and flown back to the US where the teenager was ordered to jail for 720 days.

His mother, Tonya Couch, was charged with hindering apprehension of a known felon and money laundering, but was released after posting bond.

Last week the 50-year-old failed a court-ordered drug test and was arrested.

She was booked into the same jail as her son, only days before he was released.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43621839

Oct 25, 2017
His mother, Tonya Couch, was charged with hindering apprehension of a known felon and money laundering, but was released after posting bond.

Last week the 50-year-old failed a court-ordered drug test and was arrested.

She was booked into the same jail as her son, only days before he was released.

_87978459_057d326c-8cc8-472d-b615-98cbd6376e0c.jpg

I've made a huge mistake

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude killed 4 people and spent 5 years behind bars (I could be wrong on the math) our system is fucked badly

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This kid's dad also got busted a couple years ago for impersonating a police officer.

Throw them ALL in jail and throw away the key.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Those two years aged him quickly. I wonder if his father will still support him financially.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This whole family just bungled the gift that judge gave them all around, to the point where the mom and dad got sucked into the tornado of dumb they got goin' on

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. This is like, white privilege as fuck. Both deserve much harsher punishments, and that kid needs to be rotting away in prison for what he did.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's out just in time to join the Alt-Right. That whole family is a mess and he surely will harm someone else at some point.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
of course...
I bet these shits are Trump supporters
He's out just in time to join the Alt-Right. That whole family is a mess and he surely will harm someone else at some point.
Let's not jump to pointless conclusions here. Do we really think that things would be different for a rich democrat? Would you defend him if his parents voted for Obama twice? I hope not.

Don't get me wrong, his sentence was too light, but national politics has nothing to do with this. Money alone is to blame.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Let's not jump to pointless conclusions here. Do we really think that things would be different for a rich democrat? Would you defend him if his parents voted for Obama twice? I hope not.

Don't get me wrong, his sentence was too light, but national politics has nothing to do with this. Money alone is to blame.

Well, money and privilege. And I doubt I'm in outer space to suggest that his skin color had something to do with it too.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This whole debacle makes me irrationally angry. They got like four fucking chances, they still completely bungled it up, no one learned a thing, and there's like zero repercussions.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Dude murdered 4 people fled to Mexico and only got two years in prison. Meanwhile there's a black lady who got 5 years in prison for voting while on probation.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

He's White, Anglo-Saxon, and worst of all, Protestant. Their political alignment can be easily figured out with science. And if they were Liberal before, the coverage of them probably drove them to the oh so caring embrace of FascIntern.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Dude looks 30, rich people have to kill another richer person's dog to be served real justice it seem.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dude looks 30, rich people have to kill another richer person's dog to be served real justice it seem.
Look at the way we handle white collar offenses. Madoff and Shkreli got reamed for messing with the money of their wealthy clients/investors, but nobody was punished at all in the financial crisis that preyed upon millions of middle and working class Americans.

Look at pedophile billionaire Jeffrey Epstein, a registered sex offender who still owns a freaking island (where he has allegedly abused an untold number of underaged sex slaves and loans them out to other powerful individuals), despite being one of the most detestable creatures on the planet.

The law, in practice, isn't for them. It's another tool to keep the lower classes from ever being powerful enough to properly oppose them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
He's White, Anglo-Saxon, and worst of all, Protestant. Their political alignment can be easily figured out with science. And if they were Liberal before, the coverage of them probably drove them to the oh so caring embrace of FascIntern.

Wait... worst of all... protestant...? Wtf is this hateful shit? What does being Protestant have to be with whatever you're talking about or this idiot killing people drunk driving? Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Corey Booker, Kamala Harris, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Barbara Lee, Sheldon Whitehouse, and Elizabeth Warren (just to name a few) are also Protestant. Are they unclean to you or something?

I'm not religious, but I don't tolerate religious hate speech.

Last edited:

Feranon

Nov 1, 2017
User Warned: Please do not advocate violence ResetEra.
only one cure for affluenza, I'm afraid:

giphy.gif

(lmao I got a warning for this? gimme a break y'all)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.