• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, opinions. Like there is only one MCU film I actually really liked, and that was the first Thor, but I don't think many people would agree with me.

No I think everybody is self aware enough to know that not everything is gonna hit home or be a banger because taste vary.

But in the case of that film, it's really hard to imagine how a bland ass film like captain Marvel somehow got received so much better.
Because they share almost all of the same flaws except Eternals has more qualities ...

Just like how Venom 2 did better than Venom 1 despite being worse in every single way. This isn't throwing the stone at people that liked Venom, it's a "why did you hate the first film this much if the second was "okay" to you ... ?".

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No I think everybody is self aware enough to know that not everything is gonna hit home or be a banger because taste vary.

But in the case of that film, it's really hard to imagine how a bland ass film like captain Marvel somehow got received so much better.
Because they share almost all of the same flaws except Eternals has more qualities ...

Just like how Venom 2 did better than Venom 1 despite being worse in every single way. This isn't throwing the stone at people that liked Venom, it's a "why did you hate the first film this much if the second was "okay" to you ... ?".
Exactly, I am not saying it the best movie ever made, but I say comparing it to ther MCU flicks I don't really get how this has such a low score and some other blunders are that high.

it is absolutely a slower movie where you have more character dialogue instead of action scenes (though those action scenes in the end are hella fire IMO) but the story itself had more stakes and premise than other marvel movies

rafox70

Oct 14, 2021
Lttp: Is this getting review bombed or the general reviews really didn't like the movie? I'm guessing the later

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Lttp: Is this getting review bombed or the general reviews really didn't like the movie? I'm guessing the later
I don't know, I saw the movie and don't think it deservers such a low score and rereading the reviews after seeing the movie, imo a lot of them are hyperbolic.
The movie is way longer and with a different flow/rythm than your typical MCU movie, apparently that's something that deserves a lower score for most reviewers, I personaly found the structure of the movie flowed nicely.
Also saw most reviews saying the characters are bland. They're not the Guardians swag wise, but they are much more "real" persons as characters, and I found their story quite interesting without going into spoilers.
The movie is very pretty, it's not as much action packed as other MCU flicks, however the action scenes that are there are really well done imo(especially when they fight as a team) and the last act has actions scenes and visuals that have the most magnitude and grand scale of the MCU imo.
So yeah I don't know if it's review bombed, but I find the scores very harsh compared to the complaints contained inside the reviews attached to that score. I suspect these reviewers wanted/expected a classic MCU structure for the movie, got something different and that disapointed them. Don't understand how you would get there after seeing the movie but seems to me it's what happens with reviewers and this flick

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I saw the movie and don't think it deservers such a low score and rereading the reviews after seeing the movie, imo a lot of them are hyperbolic.
The movie is way longer and with a different flow/rythm than your typical MCU movie, apparently that's something that deserves a lower score for most reviewers, I personaly found the structure of the movie flowed nicely.
Also saw most reviews saying the characters are bland. They're not the Guardians swag wise, but they are much more "real" persons as characters, and I found their story quite interesting without going into spoilers.
The movie is very pretty, it's not as much action packed as other MCU flicks, however the action scenes that are there are really well done imo(especially when they fight as a team) and the last act has actions scenes and visuals that have the most magnitude and grand scale of the MCU imo.
So yeah I don't know if it's review bombed, but I find the scores very harsh compared to the complaints contained inside the reviews attached to that score. I suspect these reviewers wanted/expected a classic MCU structure for the movie, got something different and that disapointed them. Don't understand how you would get there after seeing the movie but seems to me it's what happens with reviewers and this flick

This covers my feeling exactly. i also think this might be one of the more "grand" or "epic" feeling MCU movies with the sheer amount of locales featured in this and the way the movie looks overall.

Also, I gotta say I'm not as big of a fan of GoTG as most probably are but I definitely prefer characters like those in Eternals over the kind of characters in the GoTG movies.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
This covers my feeling exactly. i also think this might be one of the more "grand" or "epic" feeling MCU movies with the sheer amount of locales featured in this and the way the movie looks overall.

Also, I gotta say I'm not as big of a fan of GoTG as most probably are but I definitely prefer characters like those in Eternals over the kind of characters in the GoTG movies.
I really like GOTG and their characters, but I like this ensemble of characters just as much, I think it's very good to have different kind of heroes, they can't all be super swagers who drop jokes after jokes during the most dire situations.
Also I don't understand how you can't get attached to these characters in Eternals, I mean their story is litteraly written to make you feel for them and relatable, imo it was quite well done and I cared about them (except one of them but it's only because they was written entirely around a very obvious twist I saw coming so early in the movie)

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I really like GOTG and their characters, but I like this ensemble of characters just as much, I think it's very good to have different kind of heroes, they can't all be super swagers who drop jokes after jokes during the most dire situations.
Also I don't understand how you can't get attached to these characters in Eternals, I mean their story is litteraly written to make you feel for them and relatable, imo it was quite well done and I cared about them (except one of them but it's only because they was written entirely around a very obvious twist I saw coming so early in the movie)
Yep, I dont understand all those reviews that say these characters are uninteresting.
I really hope they dont shy away from making ensemble movies that introduce a bunch of new characters because of this. This was done very well here imo. I dont want a situation where they think theyre gonna have to sprinkle in a Beast cameo in some movie, have Iceman appear in a D+ show and give Cyclops a solo movie before putting them in the X-Men movie.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I dont understand all those reviews that say these characters are uninteresting.
I really hope they dont shy away from making ensemble movies that introduce a bunch of new characters because of this. This was done very well here imo. I dont want a situation where they think theyre gonna have to sprinkle in a Beast cameo in some movie, have Iceman appear in a D+ show and give Cyclops a solo movie before putting them in the X-Men movie.
I think even if they refrain from doing straight up ensemble movies to introduce characters (i don't think they will) they'll still start the X-Men with an ensemble movie directly after just having the explanation of why they arrive now in another movie

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think even if they refrain from doing straight up ensemble movies to introduce characters (i don't think they will) they'll still start the X-Men with an ensemble movie directly after just having the explanation of why they arrive now in another movie

I think this is overthinking it. The X-Men, and mutants in general, will have always existed in the MCU when they make their big debut.

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this entire discussion is seeing multiple people say wild dumb shit like "I hated Black Panther, loved Jonah Hex, and my favorite movie is The Money Pit, will be back shortly with my thoughts on Eternals."

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is overthinking it. The X-Men, and mutants in general, will have always existed in the MCU when they make their big debut.
yeah I just meant they'll have the explanation in another movie, and after the explanation is given they'll straight up do an ensemble movie. I don't think they will start the X Men with solo movies or D+ before an ensemble movie

this is not looking good at all.
unlike the movie then. You seen it ?

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The problem with those Bob Chipman reviews as text, is they're basically transcriptions of Zero Punctuation-style videos. Edited into breathlessness for comedic effect.

It doesn't work as a readable paragraph - they should really be re-written for the text versions.
I mean, it's not funnier in the actual video either. Bob constantly does this in his reviews, he just throws a lot of irrelevant nonsense mixed in the critic. Not to mention the place where he actually types out shit made for reading - his Twitter - is considerably worse.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Like many here. That's why review threads always have so many responses lol
yeah it's funny. I hope discution gets more interesting once people actually see the movie and talk about it in the OT

I do?

So, you're the type to not believe anyone. Someone tells you this restaurant is nice and you go, "I don't care. I don't believe you until I can form MY own opinion."

I bet you don't. Why? Because you just aren't.
No? I read the reviews before seeing the movie, thought "oh these are pretty harsh reviews, let's check the movie out to see if I agree with them having seen the movie. Turns out I didn't agree, so I'm glad I decided to see for myself instead of trusting someone I don't know on the internet.
Also your comparaison validates my point. Yes , even someone I know personaly can tell me"hey this restaurant is awesome " and I'll be like "cool, I'll check it out then" and get my own opinion after dinning there. Reacted the exact sae way with reviews before going to a movie yeah

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Just saw this, and yeah, I can see why critics are lukewarm. It's a long movie that introduces a lot of new characters, mythology, exposition, and if you don't like them then you're stuck in a 2 and a half hour movie with characters you don't like.

I enjoyed it, certainly more than black widow for instance. It's definitely very grand, visually, and I do enjoy a lot more of the more fantastical elements.

It's was alright. It's honestly fairly consistent with the quality of all the other MCU movies. There's nothing that's especially terrible.

Also yeah - Makari is the best <3

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling Thread over a Series of Posts; History of Trolling
No? I read the reviews before seeing the movie, thought "oh these are pretty harsh reviews, let's check the movie out to see if I agree with them having seen the movie. Turns out I didn't agree, so I'm glad I decided to see for myself instead of trusting someone I don't know on the internet.
Also your comparaison validates my point. Yes , even someone I know personaly can tell me"hey this restaurant is awesome " and I'll be like "cool, I'll check it out then" and get my own opinion after dinning there. Reacted the exact sae way with reviews before going to a movie yeah
So you never believe anyone? Must be fun I guess? Like, do you believe people who are a similar vibe and wavelength as you or are you just always paranoid and curious about people's tastes. Must be fun.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
oh so you don't like forming your own opinion. Cool
Chill man. It's just a movie, anyone can say whatever they want about any movie, even if they've not seen it. It's just a damn movie. He's seen parts of it via public footage and reviewers discussions, he can call it trash at this point, it doesn't matter because it's just a movie.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So you never believe anyone? Must be fun I guess? Like, do you believe people who are a similar vibe and wavelength as you or are you just always paranoid and curious about people's tastes. Must be fun.
I never said I don't believe anyone tho? I believe my friend that told me he enjoyed his dinner at the restaurant, doesn't automaticaly means I'll enjoy my time there too.
I believe the critics whose reviews I read gave their honest opinions on the movie, but I still wanted to see what my opinion of the movie would be. Turns out it's different from other people, while also similar to other people, crazy right? The magic of having your own percepetion completely dependant on your own experience and perception and detached from others own experience and perception which is 99.99 different than yours. It's almost magic :)

Chill man. It's just a movie, anyone can say whatever they want about any movie, even if they've not seen it. It's just a damn movie.
I'm super chill, I'm not the one assuming stuff of other posters without any fundation :) Of course they can hate the movie without seeing it, and I can think it's a shame to not form your own opinion on something, doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
At this point, Subpar Spatula's trolling on MCU threads and it somehow going unchecked should be known variables.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, Subpar Spatula's trolling on MCU threads and it somehow going unchecked should be a known variable.
Let them have their fun. I don't know about others but I personaly dont mind, it's funny in a way ^^

So everyone you know says this stuff is disgusting tasting. Everyone around you. The world says it is gross tasting. Do you believe them?

Like, you can have your opinion of something, we all do, but you started this quote chain off with a very vague statement of, "don't you form your own opinions?" So don't blame me for taking it to this level.
See? Case in point, I find this very funny ^^ I wasn't born yesterday so I can recognize a disingenuous post when I see one, I just don't mind interacting with them for fun

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I never said I don't believe anyone tho? I believe my friend that told me he enjoyed his dinner at the restaurant, doesn't automaticaly means I'll enjoy my time there too.
I believe the critics whose reviews I read gave their honest opinions on the movie, but I still wanted to see what my opinion of the movie would be. Turns out it's different from other people, while also similar to other people, crazy right? The magic of having your own percepetion completely dependant on your own experience and perception and detached from others own experience and perception which is 99.99 different than yours. It's almost magic :)
So everyone you know says this stuff is disgusting tasting. Everyone around you. The world says it is gross tasting. Do you believe them?

Like, you can have your opinion of something, we all do, but you started this quote chain off with a very vague statement of, "don't you form your own opinions?" So don't blame me for taking it to this level.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020

I'm super chill, I'm not the one assuming stuff of other posters without any fundation :) Of course they can hate the movie without seeing it, and I can think it's a shame to not form your own opinion on something, doesn't mean I don't respect their opinion
Haha fair enough.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Be careful you aren't allowed to disagree with critic concensus it breaks forum code or something.

It is kind of crazy you are assuming all the bad reviews were by people who can't handle something different like the Eternals though. Maybe it's just not interesting to everyone. Between the trailers and the reviews both positive and negative it doesn't seem worth a trip to the theater to me.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

You're not taking it to very high level though ;)

Maybe it's just not interesting to everyone.
That's what I said tho? I never said reviewers were not giving their honest opinions based on their feelings and perception, I respect their opinions, I'mjust glad I decided to check the movie out myself as it turned out my opinion ended up different thanmost of what I read, and again what I read is still a valid opinion, it's just not mine :) everything is cool here

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
DC fans dealt with it for years and now it Marvels turn. Don't get bent out of shape, just have fun with it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny watching certain known trolls complain about other people trolling. Posters on this board always have convenient amnesia.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The hell? That's so poorly written I can't even...
It doesn't even make sense after untangling it. The run-on sentence boils down to "Eternals pose the question: can the MCU production machine create a good movie even when that movie is Eternals?". It's entirely circular: "Eternals is a good movie if Eternals is not a bad movie". :D

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Def a D+ stream for me. Too damn long and nothing about the reviews would get me in the theater for it. Can't say I'm not curious, though.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao imagine taking subpar spatula seriously. Dude is the biggest troll on this site when it comes to MCU ever since cybersai got banned (anyone remember him)? It's gotten so stale his posts don't even register with me anymore. Subpar probably prays every day for an MCU movie to be poorly received.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
Lmao imagine taking subpar spatula seriously. Dude is the biggest troll on this site ever since cybersai got banned (anyone remember him)? It's gotten so stale his posts don't even register with me anymore. Subpar probably prays every day for an MCU movie to be poorly received.
And now he got it, and you all are giving him what he wants.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

Not sure where else to put this, but given this is where most of the Eternals discussion is I figure its best here.

I'm glad they stuck to their guns here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao imagine taking subpar spatula seriously. Dude is the biggest troll on this site when it comes to MCU ever since cybersai got banned (anyone remember him)? It's gotten so stale his posts don't even register with me anymore. Subpar probably prays every day for an MCU movie to be poorly received.
I miss cybersai 🥲