• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I was so happy to hear it live in 2016. Never thought I'd get to see Axl/Slash/Duff together, and I never thought I would hear them play Estranged and This I Love at the same show. This I Love is another fantastic one, especially with Slash doing the solo. It has a way to tell a story and be really emotional and hit you, with very few lyrics, and not being as long.

EDIT: I want to add that Coma is probably their best song. It's so good and unique.
ha speaking of 2016 (yes... it was worth EVERY FRIGGIN PENNY)

They played Double Talkin Jive... eh....... fine. it's ok. not really sure why after 25 years they're playing this son......... HOLY SHIT THIS GUITAR SOLO IS FUCKING BALLS!!!!!

First time I learned (well, cared) that Double Talkin Jive has an amazing guitar solo/lead out in it.... was in awe of slash for the entire outro.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
the best songs from use your illusion I and II make for a better album than appetite.

Has anyone actually done this? Put a mix together of the best tracks from the two that is accepted as "the master cut" or something like that from them both? Because I owned Use Your Illusion II and remember skipping a shit ton of tracks while loving the singles.

"Estranged" is indeed pretty great.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone actually done this? Put a mix together of the best tracks from the two that is accepted as "the master cut" or something like that from them both? Because I owned Use Your Illusion II and remember skipping a shit ton of tracks while loving the singles.

"Estranged" is indeed pretty great.
I mean there would never be consensus. Honestly, GnR did it right. They had a lot of great songs written and ready to go.. released all of em. The same thing is done today.. only instead of two albums.. you end up with one album, and then 6-12 months later a deluxe album with the rest of the songs. At least they laid it out bare for us back in 91. Not every song is a winner... but (IMHO) both albums are still worth the price of admission. Unlike the deluxe/regular shenanigans of today.

edit - oh also remember vinyl releases were still real back in 91 (though nearing the end). Both albums were DOUBLE ALBUMS already. So even though it would have only been two CDs or two tapes to release a compilation.. it would have been AT LEAST 3 vinyl albums to merge the best of all of them together.. and to package it as one (which people were always asking why they didn't), it would have been a 4 album set on vinyl to release Use Your Illusion as a single album (though two CDs or cassettes).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I mean there would never be consensus. Honestly, GnR did it right. They had a lot of great songs written and ready to go.. released all of em. The same thing is done today.. only instead of two albums.. you end up with one album, and then 6-12 months later a deluxe album with the rest of the songs. At least they laid it out bare for us back in 91. Not every song is a winner... but (IMHO) both albums are still worth the price of admission. Unlike the deluxe/regular shenanigans of today.

edit - oh also remember vinyl releases were still real back in 91 (though nearing the end). Both albums were DOUBLE ALBUMS already. So even though it would have only been two CDs or two tapes to release a compilation.. it would have been AT LEAST 3 vinyl albums to merge the best of all of them together.. and to package it as one (which people were always asking why they didn't), it would have been a 4 album set on vinyl to release Use Your Illusion as a single album (though two CDs or cassettes).

Fair enough. This thread has inspired me to re-listen to some of these tunes. Totally forgot about the greatness that is "Civil War."

Oct 31, 2017
It's hard, because I think on the whole, Appetite For Destruction as an album, perfectly defines the band.

Estranged might be their best single song though. I am definitely a fan and think it is a bit overlooked and not considered as much as it should be.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard, because I think on the whole, Appetite For Destruction as an album, perfectly defines the band.

Estranged might be their best single song though. I am definitely a fan and think it is a bit overlooked and not considered as much as it should be.
I mean it's the same as Nirvana.... both had their first mainstream albums that 100% define the essence of the bands.. and then sophomore followups that essentially proved the bands as legends. The initial mainstream albums though will always be the ones every associates with the de facto standard.. even though the followups are artistically better (and claimed their own insane commercial success)

Oct 27, 2017
Blech. Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are full of bloated songs that needed proper editing and a ton of filler shit that deserved no spot on the record. Between the two albums, there's probably a good album of music in there with proper production. From start to beginning, Appetite is better in pretty much every single way.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Mr. Brownstone. I prefer my G&R playing bluesy big dick rock and roll, not the proggy long stuff.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
ha speaking of 2016 (yes... it was worth EVERY FRIGGIN PENNY)

They played Double Talkin Jive... eh....... fine. it's ok. not really sure why after 25 years they're playing this son......... HOLY SHIT THIS GUITAR SOLO IS FUCKING BALLS!!!!!

First time I learned (well, cared) that Double Talkin Jive has an amazing guitar solo/lead out in it.... was in awe of slash for the entire outro.

Double Talkin Jive is fantastic! Especially live. I love the new trend at the shows of rolling right into DTJ right out of Welcome to the Jungle. A real nice 1-2 punch.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Blech. Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 are full of bloated songs that needed proper editing and a ton of filler shit that deserved no spot on the record. Between the two albums, there's probably a good album of music in there with proper production. From start to beginning, Appetite is better in pretty much every single way.
I mean I disagree thoroughly on the editing/production part. The songs are intentional opuses and the better for it. Releasing Appetite for Destruction 2 would have been lazy and been met with the same sophomore slump that every act experiences when they release "Critically acclaimed mainstream success debut album Part 2"

UYI was the direction they needed to go to cement their legacy. Obviously the overall bloat and favorites will be argued about for eternity.. as well as if they could have/should have released it as a single album. But the direction change was exactly why we are still talking about them 30 years later. Without that we might as well be discussing Warrant (which I believe DRFSR had almost as many hit singles as Appetite)

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I disagree thoroughly on the editing/production part. The songs are intentional opuses and the better for it. Releasing Appetite for Destruction 2 would have been lazy and been met with the same sophomore slump that every act experiences when they release "Critically acclaimed mainstream success debut album Part 2"

UYI was the direction they needed to go to cement their legacy. Obviously the overall bloat and favorites will be argued about for eternity.. as well as if they could have/should have released it as a single album. But the direction change was exactly why we are still talking about them 30 years later. Without that we might as well be discussing Warrant (which I believe DRFSR had almost as many hit singles as Appetite)
We'd still be discussing UYI if it had a tighter production and lacked stupid songs like Get in the Ring, which was nothing more than Axl being a complete asshole as usual. I'll always be a fan, but I'll never forget how much Axl's ego fucked what could have been a legendary band.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
We'd still be discussing UYI if it had a tighter production and lacked stupid songs like Get in the Ring, which was nothing more than Axl being a complete asshole as usual. I'll always be a fan, but I'll never forget how much Axl's ego fucked what could have been a legendary band.
well... I mean......... ....yeah.

they're still legendary. and I still recommend seeing them NOW... but yes. we ended up with 2.5 legendary albums. could have been more. still, go and see them now. the live sets of these albums somehow still hit. I don't think that will be the case within the next 5-10 years (with 5-10 years of age added to the band)

Oct 27, 2017
well... I mean......... ....yeah.

they're still legendary. and I still recommend seeing them NOW... but yes. we ended up with 2.5 legendary albums. could have been more. still, go and see them now. the live sets of these albums somehow still hit. I don't think that will be the case within the next 5-10 years (with 5-10 years of age added to the band)
I saw them while they were testing songs for UYI 1 and 2. They played for 4 hours and it was awesome.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Patience is like the only Guns N Roses song i like. No one likes it too apparently lol
nah... everyone "likes" it.. for those who lived through the era... it just ended up being the most played song by them during that era by a mile. so we got into the mid 90s sort of being sick of it. still a great song.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL

To be fair, it wasn't just Axls ego. The whole band led to the break up. Slashs massive drug problem. Duffs drinking. Izzy being a complete dick(just as much as Axl), Steven/Matt being non-factors in any decision making. It was just a full collective effort of shittiness from the entire band that eventually just lead to the split.

And the bad split lead to so many years of bad blood, even after they all got older and mellowed out and sobered up. I really wish we knew the full story of what lead to Axl reaching out to Slash a few years ago. What lead him to bury the hatchet and what was said on that phone call.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
nah... everyone "likes" it.. for those who lived through the era... it just ended up being the most played song by them during that era by a mile. so we got into the mid 90s sort of being sick of it. still a great song.
I was LTTP when it comes to Guns N Roses. So it was never played for me. I guess I lucked out lol

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's a really awkward typo, can I recommend Grammarly? Here's the correct spelling just so you don't embarrass yourself in the future: C-I-V-I-L W-A-R.

You're welcome!

Oct 25, 2017
Good pick, OP. Estranged is fantastic. That and You Could Be Mine are some of my favorites from both Use Your Illusion records.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

Well, it's got the crossover appeal. It's like that other one ballad from that hair metal band in the 80s...damn I forget. But they have like one super crossover adult contemporary track and the rest of their material is hair metal, which surprised a bunch of old middle aged people that showed up to their concerts lol. But it was a one hit wonder, effectively.

Still a great track, though. I was born in 88, so I didn't feel that overplayed to me.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's got the crossover appeal. It's like that other one ballad from that hair metal band in the 80s...damn I forget. But they have like one super crossover adult contemporary track and the rest of their material is hair metal, which surprised a bunch of old middle aged people that showed up to their concerts lol. But it was a one hit wonder, effectively.

Still a great track, though. I was born in 88, so I didn't feel that overplayed to me.
hahahahahahahahaha by "that other one ballad from that hair metal band in the 80s..", do you in fact mean "every ballad from every hair metal band in the 80s ever.."?

hahahahahahahahahahaha (for real laughing out loud) "quick guys we need to break into the billboard top 10. which one of you fuckers has a long time girlfriend that we can write about how much he loves? No one??? FUUUUUUUUU"

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
hahahahahahahahaha by "that other one ballad from that hair metal band in the 80s..", do you in fact mean "every ballad from every hair metal band in the 80s ever.."?

hahahahahahahahahahaha (for real laughing out loud) "quick guys we need to break into the billboard top 10. which one of you fuckers has a long time girlfriend that we can write about how much he loves? No one??? FUUUUUUUUU"

There's one specifically where the acoustic ballad was like the only hit they ever had, though. I know literally every band in the 80s did this.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
There's one specifically where the acoustic ballad was like the only hit they ever had, though. I know literally every band in the 80s did this.
Probably Extreme if I had to guess. A few others were slightly slightly slightly slightly less "one hit wonder" than that (Tesla, Damn Yankees, Cinderella, etc)

edit - Maybe Mr. Big, but that was way less of a hit than More than Words by Extreme (Be With You?)

edit 2 - maybe Saigon Kick (love is on the way)... but honestly Saigon Kick was awesome. Their followup album to The Lizard is seriously and shockingly great.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
civil war
November rain
You could be mine
Nighttrain

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Paradise and You Could Be Mine are my favorites, but Estranged is a good song.

In terms of their slower jams, I prefer Knockin' On Heaven's Door, but I know many don't enjoy their cover. Appetite and UYI 1&2 are fantastic albums.

I went to a GnR show last year, and it was killer. 30 songs, 3 1/2 show with ZZ Top opening. It was awesome seeing Axl and Slash together.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
Estranged isn't even the best song on Use Your Illusion II. Today I think it's Locomotive, but that opinion can change depending on the day.

I don't think I can choose my favourite G n' R song, I've always loved the shit out of the Lies version of You're Crazy though.

Also, obligatory : https://youtu.be/3xXRoEAvVro

Last edited:

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Probably Extreme if I had to guess. A few others were slightly slightly slightly slightly less "one hit wonder" than that (Tesla, Damn Yankees, Cinderella, etc)

edit - Maybe Mr. Big, but that was way less of a hit than More than Words by Extreme (Be With You?)

edit 2 - maybe Saigon Kick (love is on the way)... but honestly Saigon Kick was awesome. Their followup album to The Lizard is seriously and shockingly great.

Yup. More Than Words. Thanks!

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this some shit? I've known about Rocket Queen for a long time now, knew that Adler's GF is the one orgasming, and actually heard that part of the song before as well. Now I could have swore I've heard the entire song before too, but I just put it on and did not recognize it whatsoever! Now that I've heard it, that's the best GnR track after Sweet Child, it's that immediate.