• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
James Cameron's Titanic has many great scale establishing shots. Not sci-fi, but this scene in particular always gave me goosebumps:

Also Christopher Nolan's Interstellar failed for me in this respect, except for one particular shot:

--

Disaster/big monster movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. Even the junky ones. There's something about seeing utter devastation on a grand scale that just pops my popcorn.

Gareth Edwards' Godzilla (2014) is a good one with many great sense of scale shots, to the point that I didn't enjoy the follow-ups nearly as much because I didn't think they established the sense of scale nearly as well:

Last edited:

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
You left out the most important question.... when do we get a lego version of it to sit above the current Star Destroyer??
tumblr_nx84dpF0aR1qj6sk2o2_500.gifv
91qrSr1Kx9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
God Rogue One is such a beautiful movie, it's a shame it's dreadfully bland for much of the film that makes it hard to do a re-watch.

I found the Halo games did a good job doing sense of scale

mr5yiel4ntg51.jpg

EUdIY8VXgAAaVc0

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The scale is all wrong on your super star destroyer examples. It looks dozens of time larger than regular star destroyers and minuscule next to the flat surface of the Death Star when it should be heavily curved.

Star Wars has never been very accurate with scale.

No, the scale is correct. ILM was very careful about that. And the Death Star II is almost certainly too large to show any curvature in the SSD crash shot.

OP
OP
RefreshZ

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
Also the Star Destroyer warping in and smashing into the escaping ships. God damn. A screen of empty space suddenly filled, another brilliant portrayal of scale.

If anyone has gifs of those moments handy they'd be worthy examples.

sd-splat.gif

Here you go...! And a bonus...

tumblr_on2v6ztMYn1uvhnh7o4_500.gif

Say what you want about the narrative but Rogue One really did knock it out the park with its cinematography.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Rogue One was really good at this.

No surprise coming from Gareth Edwards who did the scale thing really well in Godzilla.

Yeah Rogue One was spectacular at this. These were the shots I was thinking of when I was reading the OP. Although there are some killer examples in the OP also!

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Rogue One has rightfully hijacked this thread. Counting on Fraser to bring that sense of scale to Dune

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't know why, but I find the Death Star being upside down always very odd to see.
I think that is the intent. The Death Star has become such a symbol at this point that it's hard to see it as the enormous death-dealing machine that it is. It's like, have you ever been up on a ladder in your house and realized you've never seen your home from that angle before and it makes you actually see the place you've been living just because it's a fresh angle?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, the scale is correct. ILM was very careful about that. And the Death Star II is almost certainly too large to show any curvature in the SSD crash shot.

Going by the official lengths of the Executor and Death Star II there should be around 30 degrees of arc visible in that shot. But I'm more inclined to say that the official size of Death Star II is wrong.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the great thread, OP. Really fascinating reading about (and seeing) all the different scenes. So much eye candy.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread op, love the pics. Not big into star wars but yeah that is cool as hell.

Shitty first reply. Also doesn't mention the movie.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all have made me wanna pop in 4k Rogue One.

I've always dug the film, but these gifs are making me feel something fierce, especially in a post Rise of Skywalker world.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
God damn Rogue One is amazing.

I would submit some of the establishing shots from Arrival. Really drives home the initial mystery.
Screen_20Shot_202016-08-16_20at_204.07.15_20PM.0.png

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't seen Rogue One since it was in theaters but I think I'm due for a rewatch.

Ah, thank you.
This thread is almost making me want to check out some of the new movies.
It's not that I hate Star Wars or anything like that; I'm just not really into it.

You could always sign up for a month of Disney+. I'm pretty sure it's all on there.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Gareth Edwards' Godzilla (2014) is a good one with many great sense of scale shots, to the point that I didn't enjoy the follow-ups nearly as much because I didn't think they established the sense of scale nearly as well:
Yeah, Godzilla (2014) did a fantastic job with the scale. I actually miss that aspect of all the other US Godzilla/King Kong movie, none of the other movies make the monster "feel" huge, they move lightning fast in all the other movies.

Like Godzilla Vs. King Kong has Kong leaping twice Godzilla's height, and Godzilla skittering across the ground like a tiny lizard.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm having trouble finding good images but I will never forget being blown away by the sense of scale conveyed by the first act of Alien.

Great thread op, you've sold me on a Rogue One rewatch

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Rogue One is Wallpapers - The Movie, and i love it. *Currently rocks that Deathstar appearing in the horizont one on his work PCs*

This is what i miss most in KotM and GvsK, maybe Edwards can return to the series again.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The most impressive thing about the star wars stuff is how it was made. That shit is all models! Insane model and crazy camerawork stuff!!! Isn't that just fucking wild?!?!?

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I love the Star Wars shots shown so here's something else.

2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the most beautiful films. I could watch and listen to it forever. Clearly stuff are smaller but the visuals display is something else especially since it was released in 1968.

17747_21_1080p.jpg

17747_15_1080p.jpg

17747_33_1080p.jpg

Poor guy

tumblr_mjsjzoozYv1qejtbqo1_500.gif

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not starwar-level hugeness but Avatar is great at presenting scale.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I need to rewatch this. I remember really liking it.

It is so nice to see a positive thread about Rogue One. I never get how people didn't like that movie and then when you ask why they are like "NAME THE CHARACTERS!!!!!!" and I get confused at how that is a valid criticism of a movie.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This is just a "great sci-fi shots" the thread now and I'm perfectly fine with that. Oblivion and Rogue One are two absolute stunners in that regard.