• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
As I will be traveling a foreign country as a non-speaker for two weeks and being mobile almost the entire time (not staying in the same city more than 2 days) with a small group, I was wondering what kind of tourist essentials I should have on my radar. Passport/cash/phone security is obviously important, and while I don't think I will be overwhelmingly at risk I would rather just have piece of mind while keeping a low profile.

Any cool tips besides the basic sponsored crap i get when googling?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pocket wi-fi can be pretty handy, especially since you can use your phone for everything (maps, translations, etc).

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Depending on the country, you may not need a ton of cash. I've traveled all over the world in the last 10 years and rarely had the need for cash. In developing or third world countries it makes more of difference.

I'd keep a travel charger and large portable battery. If you have multiple credit cards you should keep them in different places on your person in case you lose one.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Portable charger. I keep two on me when I travel. There's no momentum killer like having your phone ~25% and thinking about how & where you're going to address the issue.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I second/third those little USB batteries, and a couple converters/chargers for those in whatever local format you're travelling to. I felt better about charging the battery thing and then charging my phone off of that rather than plugging my phone directly into the outlet w/ a converter.

In Italy a few years ago I think I only rarely used Euro cash, it was easier to just use my CC And let them handle the conversion IIRC.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For me just a phone with an eSim. When traveling for 2 weeks I use something like airalo to have internet on my phone and I'm all set.

Oct 25, 2017
Use Google maps and download the area as an offline map on your phone.
Use Google translate and download the local language for offline access on your phone.

Best ~200mb you'll spend.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Have a plan for getting from the train/bus station to your accommodation, especially if it's at night. You don't want to look like a target.

Have the right plug for the country for your devices, and make sure before you bring any devices that they work on that voltage.

Download Google maps for your areas in advance for offline use.

Look in advance for food place reviews. If you're only in a city for a couple of days, you don't want to randomly stop anywhere and get a crappy meal.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
  • Double check the power outlets for the country, and you can buy a converter box that allows you to plug your devices into whatever outlet it is.
  • Can't be a bad idea to have a paper on your person (not in wallet) with a list of the consulate and a way to contact them in case there are any unexpected issues.
  • Double check your state department or foreign bureau for any warnings about the country - even small information about where to go/not to go can save you some challenges.
Edit: Let someone else know your itinerary, and plan a few check-ins over the time. Nothing crazy, but every few days provide a check in and an update - where you're expected to be, etc. If you run into issues, and someone needs to direct resources to you, they'll need to know ROUGHLY where you were at the time. This may help if you are driving a rental car for instance between locations, and there are some rough roads.

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Depending on the country, you may not need a ton of cash. I've traveled all over the world in the last 10 years and rarely had the need for cash. In developing or third world countries it makes more of difference.

I'd keep a travel charger and large portable battery. If you have multiple credit cards you should keep them in different places on your person in case you lose one.

Yes probably should have specified, would definitely consider my destination developing (but relatively safe) so cash will be essential. Cards will probably only be usable for 1/4 of the trip, if that. Plus we will have lots of guides etc so will be handing out lots of tips

Portable battery is definitely a good idea, but what if cell service is no-go? I know lots of apps use cloud to translate, anything that might be able to work around that?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
what if cell service is no-go? I know lots of apps use cloud to translate, anything that might be able to work around that?

Take a look if you need a local sim card to access cell/wifi. You can swap out your sim card for a local card (prepaid for time you're there) and then you'll cut down on your issues. Just make sure you save your old sim card and keep it safe so you can swap back into your phone when you return.

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Take a look if you need a local sim card to access cell/wifi. You can swap out your sim card for a local card (prepaid for time you're there) and then you'll cut down on your issues. Just make sure you save your old sim card and keep it safe so you can swap back into your phone when you return.

Ahh ok wasn't sure how that worked, thanks for this info as yeah it should solve the majority of my concerns regarding data

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
A power bank to charge your phone. Nothing worse than being out at night with a dead phone and not being able to google how to get back to your hotel. Also some sort of mobile internet, either a sim or a portable wifi (I prefer a sim, but with a group the wifi option can make sense).

Power adapters, if you need them for the place you're traveling. Possibly also a power strip if you're traveling in a group. Hotel rooms can be stingy with the number of power sockets.

Earplugs. A lot of hotel walls feel like they're made out of tissue paper, so this are basically a necessity for getting a good night's sleep. And they also help you sleep on an airplane/night train/bus.

(At least) two separate wallets or similar stored in separate places with a credit/debit card in each. Losing a wallet is bad enough normally, but you don't want to be stuck in a foreign country with no access to your money.

A Kindle is I think the perfect entertainment device for travel. Light to carry with super long battery life. Perfect for when you're at an airport/train station and need to kill some time.

If you're on a long flight, an airplane headphone adapter, so that you can use your own headphones with the plane's entertainment system. This isn't that important anymore because a lot of airplanes don't need them anymore, but I still carry one just in case.

Depending on where you're traveling, some change in local currency. Some places in Europe are infamous for paid toilets that only take exact change, and there's nothing worse than being out of change when you need one. One a related note - tissues. You never know when you might need them.

Comfortable shoes. You're probably going to be walking a lot. Also a comfortable backpack given how much you'll be moving between places.

Oct 25, 2017
Be mindful of pickpockets so keep your important stuff like phone/passport/cash secure. I think many bags these days have those components.

I also agree to bring at minimum 1 20,000mah battery pack on you. You will definitely use your phone more often than usual with being on data, taking photos/videos etc.

Travel adapter too is the obvious (make sure you research the country outlet).

If you are planning on using your credit cards. Give the company a call before hand that you are traveling x days to x country, so they wont lock your account when you try to buy something due to a security flag.

idk whats the laundry situation, but i'd recommend some travel laundry soap so you can wash some clothes in the sink. Can't imagine you to bring 2 weeks of clothes.

Don't forget the sunscreen. Sunburns will ruin your week especially these days where its record heat across a lot of the world.

I know lots of apps use cloud to translate, anything that might be able to work around that?

Open google translate on your phone right away. you can download 'offline versions' of the language you want to translate to.

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What about covert wallets/bags etc? Anyone have experience with those?

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I use for a hidden wallet: https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clar...=1659376730&sprefix=belt+wallet,aps,78&sr=8-5

You tuck it into your pants at the waist. It's not too hard to get to if you need to pay for something…but once you do everyone now knows you have a hidden wallet. So I'd usually keep a card and cash in my actual pocket but use that thing in a discreet way as needed.

Another good tip is if you have an old credit card and ID that isn't valid anymore, carry that in your pocket with some cash. If someone were to make you empty your pockets and you tell them you only have cash they'll know you have a hidden wallet.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Use Google translate and download the local language for offline access on your phone.

A little over a decade ago I did about a dozen business trips to Western Europe with my phone in airplane mode (wifi on) for the entire trip. Downloading the local map was a godsend.

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I use for a hidden wallet: https://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-RFID-Blocking-Hidden/dp/B00QF5QBW0/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=3PCWI6Y1Q9MBW&keywords=belt+wallet&qid=1659376730&sprefix=belt+wallet,aps,78&sr=8-5

You tuck it into your pants at the waist. It's not too hard to get to if you need to pay for something…but once you do everyone now knows you have a hidden wallet. So I'd usually keep a card and cash in my actual pocket but use that thing in a discreet way as needed.

Another good tip is if you have an old credit card and ID that isn't valid anymore, carry that in your pocket with some cash. If someone were to make you empty your pockets and you tell them you only have cash they'll know you have a hidden wallet.

This is great advice, thanks i will definitely put together a dummy wallet.

Any other ideas for a hidden wallet type deal that could fit passports? We could maybe spread them out among the 4 of us, but I'm more concerned about carrying passports around than anything else

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017

Any other ideas for a hidden wallet type deal that could fit passports? We could maybe spread them out among the 4 of us, but I'm more concerned about carrying passports around than anything else
You probably want a cross body bag with a thick strap that you wear on the front. If you're really concerned you can wear it under your clothes.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
If you are traveling internationally, only bring charging CABLES. Buy a USB charger (or two, or one with two plugs) locally and use that while there, Usually considerably cheaper than the wall plug adaptors, and you need the cables anyways.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017

This is just my opinion, but I always left my passport at the hotel in a safe, or hidden in a compartment in my travel bag if there wasn't a safe. I personally felt like that was safer than carrying it around all the time. I did print out copies of my passport and stuck that in my travel wallet, and took a photo of the important pages and stored in my phone for emergencies. But unless I knew I'd need the passport for something it stayed back.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
This is just my opinion, but I always left my passport at the hotel in a safe, or hidden in a compartment in my travel bag if there wasn't a safe. I personally felt like that was safer than carrying it around all the time. I did print out copies of my passport and stuck that in my travel wallet, and took a photo of the important pages and stored in my phone for emergencies. But unless I knew I'd need the passport for something it stayed back.

Same I always leave my passport behind, and just take pictures of it.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Portable charger that charges from USB, and a USB cable to charge your phone with from that. So easy to find a USB socket anywhere.

Stick a kindle/e-reader app on your phone with a load of books on it. It barely uses any battery, takes zero weight.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Portable charger. I keep two on me when I travel. There's no momentum killer like having your phone ~25% and thinking about how & where you're going to address the issue.

Absolutely this, and try to keep on top of it's charge.

Pocket wi-fi can be pretty handy, especially since you can use your phone for everything (maps, translations, etc).

Yeah, this was one of the biggest lessons I had the second time I traveled abroad. The first time I didn't have one and relied on offline stuff. Second time was much more hassle/stress free because I had one to fall back on. Offline maps and stuff are great, but it's nice to have a back up.

I'd also, in both instances, like to toss out strategic charging. Whenever you're in a train or bus or whatnot, if you can charge either your phone or wi-fi it's usually a good idea, unless you know the battery is already really good.

Oct 31, 2017
Carry a decent power bank and make sure to save maps offline just in case you haven't got a connection. A roll of toilet paper or kitchen towel is invaluable for all sorts of reasons.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If it's a hot climate and you sweat, I can't recommend a microfiber towel enough. It saved me from being a sopping sweaty mess when I visited Florida recently.
Wise-Owl-LP-Updates-TW-GYM-GREY-2_2048x.jpg

Link
About the size of a handkercheif so easy to travel with.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've always carried my passport with me, in case I need something official in a police/emergency situation.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
A Fanny pack is a great item to bring to protect your stuff. Yes you look like a dweeb but mine was so useful when I lived in South Africa.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Condoms. Not always available or the best quality abroad and they have emergency uses beyond the obvious one.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah, this was one of the biggest lessons I had the second time I traveled abroad. The first time I didn't have one and relied on offline stuff. Second time was much more hassle/stress free because I had one to fall back on. Offline maps and stuff are great, but it's nice to have a back up.
I was recently in Sweden and before leaving, I activated full 5G LTE / Roaming services or whatever the product is called for T-Mobile for $5-10 a day (don't recall the exact price but it was very reasonable) and while I was over there, it was as if I was back home with my regular 5G LTE. One of the best decisions I made prior to leaving for the trip. I was on a ferry out in the middle of nowhere and I was sending photos to my friends back home.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
The HERE WeGo app lets you download the maps of entire countries for offline use.

Having a Revolut, Curve or Wise card as a backup can also be a useful thing. They allow you to validate any mobile transaction using their app.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017

One thing to be mindful of is that some countries require you to carry it, and others (particularly those with quite heavy handed or repressive security) might surprise you with a check.

My partner and I were in Beirut a few years ago and they took a photo of something near to (but not of) a military barracks and we got detained, questioned and searched a few minutes later. Very glad I'd made sure we both had our passports on us that day.

Last edited:

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB

+1. I even used to do this if I was travelling across my own country and hit spotty network coverage in hilly areas, especially if I was using on sat nav whilst on my bike.