• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So I watched this video just now...

youtu.be

Starfield Official Website Updated! Possible 2020 Release?

The official Starfield website underwent a pretty interesting website that sheds some light on Starfield's current development status!Become an Exclusive Cha...

And apparently the official Starfield website was updated with the ESRB thingy and it says RP. The YouTuber says with certainty that if ESRB is currently reviewing something it means the game is done. I highly, highly doubt that.

However, maybe someone here can shine some light on it? It certainly is interesting that the website didn't have the ESRB logo yet, but does it mean anything at all?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be awesome.

Fallout 4 had only 5 months from reveal to release.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Bethesda games are never done.

2020 seems very unlikely though, seems way too soon.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That would be awesome.

Fallout 4 had only 5 months from reveal to release.

It would be an insane surprise and I don't believe for a second in a 2020 release, but maybe it does increase chances of a 2021 release.

But I have no idea if this means anything at all. Is this always truly a sign of a game soon to come?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Rapid turnaround from reveal to release isn't unheard of from BGS, but it seems doubtful in the current climate.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
RP means Rating Pending, which is used before a game is officially rated. It doesn't mean the ESRB is looking at the game right now.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
RP means Rating Pending, which is used before a game is officially rated. It doesn't mean the ESRB is looking at the game right now.

Thanks for the clarification on that. So it really doesn't mean much. Youtubers grasping at straws again then, sigh.

But it's an update to the site, so I guess it's something. What it says about the project is up in the air.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Bethesda games are never done.

2020 seems very unlikely though, seems way too soon.
Depends how much ressources were clogged by Fallout 76. The game was teased two years ago, development started 4-5 years ago right after Fallout 4. So it's far from being too soon, I'd say it's about time.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
can't watch video right now but isn't rating pending just a placeholder and doesn't mean esrb is necessarily "reviewing" it?

seems like the wheels are turning but grain of salt. i was always of the belief it can't be that far off as fallout 4 was half a decade ago but i dunno

Last edited:

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
It seems incredibly unlikely that it will be out during the launch window. Though I am hoping for a reveal this year with a release Holiday 2021.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I can see early to mid 21 so this makes sense to me. Games tend to sell year round these days. They've been on it for a while and tend to reveal closer to release. If it launches on next gen it's gonna sell bonkers but I doubt they make it with the virus and everything. I'm looking forward to the reveal finally, I'll reserve judgement on the game since in general I've liked Bethesda but F4 a little bit and especially 76 really soured me on on them.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's at best for a teaser.

ESRB doesn't play games to rate them. Only the german board does.

So it does kinda look like this happened for a reason? If they tease the game this year and they still go with their "announce and release the same year) it should release this year but I really doubt it. Also technically they have already announced the game.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rating pending badge doesn't mean anything in regards to a release date. They show the ESRB's definition for the badge and nowhere does it say that it means a game is being reviewed. Don't know where they got that info from.

The Noclip mini-doc on the ESRB is a good watch btw

It has me thinking that they are at least submitting trailers to them to review atm. ESRB reviews footage more than they play things themselves. Could just be reviewing footage for the game at this stage.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Depends how much ressources were clogged by Fallout 76. The game was teased two years ago, development started 4-5 years ago right after Fallout 4. So it's far from being too soon, I'd say it's about time.

Ha, I guess so. It just feels like it shouldn't be done this year but that's probably because we haven't seen or heard anything beyond a GIF on their presentation screen.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

We also know how much Bethesda likes to reveal and drop 6 months later too. They have been doing the reveal and short release thing for awhile now.

but that's for a normal year.....and this year is far from being...normal

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The logo itself doesn't mean much, but if the Starfield website was recently updated to have it, that's a bit intriguing...

I seriously doubt it's a launch or launch-window game, at any rate. My guess is still holiday 2021, but it's kind of a shot in the dark since we still know virtually nothing meaningful about it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
God, I just realised the discussion around this game is going to be a fucking pain in the ass. It was already bad when Fallout 4 was coming out but after 76, it'll be hell.

Regardless, I'm still thinking 2021 but this is exciting.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The logo itself doesn't mean much, but if the Starfield website was recently updated to have it, that's a bit intriguing...

I seriously doubt it's a launch or launch-window game, at any rate. My guess is still holiday 2021, but it's kind of a shot in the dark since we still know virtually nothing meaningful about it.

Yesterday someone tweeted Pete Hines asking when we're getting TES VI info, years from now he said. It's after Starfield and you don't know anything about it he said. Another person then replied and said he looks forward to a deep dive by Howard for Starfield and Hines replied "someday Dan, someday.".

Is he just managing expectations for people still expecting a reveal this summer or is this meant for much longer, as in beyond 2021? We'll have to wait and see.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I can guarantee with a 100% certainty that TESVI is also yet to be rated by ESRB, whatever that says for it.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The YouTuber says with certainty that if ESRB is currently reviewing something it means the game is done
This is false. The ESRB sometime review trailers.

Source: this quote from the ESRB:
"However, publishers are welcome and are actually encouraged to submit their marketing materials to ESRB for a pre-review prior to making them public to check that they're compliant with the industry's advertising and marketing guidelines."